Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

nine-gear crow posted:

God, what if that's just like a toggle you can switch on and off from the captain's chair? The Turbolift Activity Log Vocalizer toggle. You just push one button and suddenly every time anyone uses the turbolift the computer announces to the whole bridge "TURBOLIFT ACTIVATED!"

I would 100% toggle that on every time I left my shift rotation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

ashpanash posted:

I also think the Vadic death scene was super lazy. Freezing in space, then shattering? Super dumb, plus she's a loving changeling. We've seen her turn to goo and we saw her in a flashback extend her body into a spike think to kill her abuser, right?

Here, I'll rewrite the Vadic death scene. I'm not saying this is brilliant or anything but it's better than what we got, off the top of my head:

---

The port behind the viewscreen opens, and the changeling birds, being close to it, are immediately blown out. Vadic is closer to the center of the room, and this gives her an instant of time to react. As she is almost blown out, she reaches out with her arms, which morph into squid-like appendages and wrap around one of the forward consoles. She stares at Jack and Seven, full of anger, but with a slowly evolving smirk. She's been in worse situations before; she can get out of this.

Seven, however, is also developing a smirk.

SEVEN
Computer, emergency override: release ops console.

We cut to Vadic eyes, growing as wide as they can. Then a shot of the console detaching from its base. Finally we see Vadic, squid arms still attached to the console, blown out of the bridge and into space. The viewscreen closes. Seven approaches the tactical station.

JACK
What are you doing?

SEVEN
Ending this.

Seven presses a few buttons. Cut to a view of the top of the Titan's saucer, its phaser strip starting to glow brightly.

Cut to a view from slightly behind Vadic in space, still attached to the console. 500 meters behind her the Titan looms large, and suddenly a vast, large red phaser beam, its width absurdly large compared to Vadic's size, completely envelops Vadic, vaporizing her instantly.

---

All I'm really saying is, this was your major threat, right? Don't take her out like a dumb chump.

That's a fun idea, I liked the idea of the Deflector dish as well.

And no she is not our major threat apparently (despite getting all the screentime?). That would be Scaryface and arguably Lore?

...why the gently caress did I watch this :ohno:

This season sucks in new ways because holy poo poo you could actually fix all of this! :shepicide:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It’s an alert created by the Lower Decks shift so that they know when to stop loving around on the bridge and get back to work

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

nine-gear crow posted:

God, what if that's just like a toggle you can switch on and off from the captain's chair? The Turbolift Activity Log Vocalizer toggle. You just push one button and suddenly every time anyone uses the turbolift the computer announces to the whole bridge "TURBOLIFT ACTIVATED!"

This is what Captain Jellico did that got everyone so steamed up. Nobody’s sneaking out to take a poo poo on his watch

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ashpanash posted:

I also think the Vadic death scene was super lazy. Freezing in space, then shattering? Super dumb, plus she's a loving changeling. We've seen her turn to goo and we saw her in a flashback extend her body into a spike think to kill her abuser, right?

Here, I'll rewrite the Vadic death scene. I'm not saying this is brilliant or anything but it's better than what we got, off the top of my head:

---

The port behind the viewscreen opens, and the changeling birds, being close to it, are immediately blown out. Vadic is closer to the center of the room, and this gives her an instant of time to react. As she is almost blown out, she reaches out with her arms, which morph into squid-like appendages and wrap around one of the forward consoles. She stares at Jack and Seven, full of anger, but with a slowly evolving smirk. She's been in worse situations before; she can get out of this.

Seven, however, is also developing a smirk.

SEVEN
Computer, emergency override: release ops console.

We cut to Vadic eyes, growing as wide as they can. Then a shot of the console detaching from its base. Finally we see Vadic, squid arms still attached to the console, blown out of the bridge and into space. The viewscreen closes. Seven approaches the tactical station.

JACK
What are you doing?

SEVEN
Ending this.

Seven presses a few buttons. Cut to a view of the top of the Titan's saucer, its phaser strip starting to glow brightly.

Cut to a view from slightly behind Vadic in space, still attached to the console. 500 meters behind her the Titan looms large, and suddenly a vast, large red phaser beam, its width absurdly large compared to Vadic's size, completely envelops Vadic, vaporizing her instantly.

---

All I'm really saying is, this was your major threat, right? Don't take her out like a dumb chump.

This was great but these motherfuckers are never giving us beam phasers again

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Look if we get beam phasers then how can we ever do the scene with our villain listening to gunshots going off all around the ship as if they’re in the middle of a Vietnam flashback

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Look if we get beam phasers then how can we ever do the scene with our villain listening to gunshots going off all around the ship as if they’re in the middle of a Vietnam flashback

Hey, she was vibing to the phaser gunshot sounds. Huge difference. It's how you can tell she was evil after 7 episodes of her already being intractably evil, the fact that she pranced around the bridge and started waving her arms around like she was Lydia Tár conducting the orchestra of death over the loudspeaker.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I totally thought Vadic was whatever but I was like "oh maybe there is a bait-switch and the big bad is manipulating her rage, that would be something" and it's so much worse than I ever expected with her. She's just there to chew Scenery and then do loving Jack poo poo for 8 episodes. This is our scary antagonist? And we still don't know who the gently caress she was working for?

The gently caress is this plot and pacing writing?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

:rip: nameless named bridge crew lady. Also :rip: Vadic. If only you were chill like Fonzie.

Spiner having a blast. He's finally a real boy :unsmith:

lol Raffi in the hallway was just stupid. Why did that scene even need to be shot?

Khanstant posted:

lmao that longass drawn out vadic death scene, classic trek on top of those sword slaughters. elnor missing all the poo poo he was ever for lol

Haha I was thinking the same thing.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

:lol:

I just realized something: Giordi mentions Data's ethical subroutines (Giordi what?!) Won't allow him to take a life for any reason (even though in TNG Data shot at things all the time, and came very close to murdering that Collector dude). So he couldn't do the airlocking himself on the Changelings..

...Until the merger with Lore! :shepface:

That's right! Data defeated Lore with Radical empathy, and his first order of business after this was to horrifically murder other life forms! DATA CAN MURDER NOW YAAAAYYY

what a bright optimistic future!

I'm changing my 6 to a 4.5 at best, holy gently caress

The acting of Spiner, Sirtis, Dorn, Burton, and Frakes are the only thing saving this thing, along with the horribly under written concept

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 6, 2023

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I want the final two episodes to be so bizarrely stupid that they loop back around to being legitimately entertaining. That’s all I ask.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Let's not forget all the changelings on the ground after being stabbed. Were they just unconscious? Maybe lock them up in a force-field protected brig? Nope, let's get Worf to come in here and vaporize them either way just to be sure.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

This season is bad but because it isn't nuclear radiation making the earth uninhabitable level bad like S1+S2 we are willing to accept some of it as mildly enjoyable.

S3 is still dumb, juvenile, vulgar, and full of contrivances.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

TulliusCicero posted:

I just realized something: Giordi mentions Data's ethical subroutines (Giordi what?!) Won't allow him to take a life for any reason (even though in TNG Data shot at things all the time, and came very close to murdering that Collector dude). So he couldn't do the airlocking himself on the Changelings..

That's right! Data defeated Lore with Radical empathy, and his first order of business after this was to horrifically murder other life forms! DATA CAN MURDER NOW YAAAAYYY

The acting of Spiner, Sirtis, Dorn, Burton, and Frakes are the only thing saving this thing, along with the horribly under written concept

Surely Data has operated the con and fired torpedos before right? Also he tried to kill The Most Toys man

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The scene where Geordi and Data had a buddy moment felt so forced and awkward, like they read online they should do that and decided to do it on the set that day and a bored cameraman agree to film it which worked except for when they had to walk over him to exit the shot.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
You know how at the beginning of First Contact when Worf shows up with the Defiant and the soundtrack does a little hit of the Klingon theme from TMP? Wasn't that a fun little callback?

Well if it was fun once, surely it must be even better if we play it every loving time that Worf appears, right?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I wonder how much they paid Spiner because it wasn't enough for him to even pretend to want to be there

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlZE8mQxv5I

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Lister posted:

Let's not forget all the changelings on the ground after being stabbed. Were they just unconscious? Maybe lock them up in a force-field protected brig? Nope, let's get Worf to come in here and vaporize them either way just to be sure.

Remember when Starfleet took prisoners and really tried to avoid taking life if they could?

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Surely Data has operated the con and fired torpedos before right? Also he tried to kill The Most Toys man

He has! Many, MANY times

Hell in First Contact he straight up killed the Borg Queen and her minions

G-III posted:

This season is bad but because it isn't nuclear radiation making the earth uninhabitable level bad like S1+S2 we are willing to accept some of it as mildly enjoyable.

S3 is still dumb, juvenile, vulgar, and full of contrivances.

To me it's even worse because the potential and beginning skeleton like the legs of a good story are there, but at some point Terry ran in and said "OOOH WHAT IF THIS THING HAD A GUN FOR A HEAD AND TENTACLES FOR ARMS, AND 3 OF THOSE!" and everybody just did what the nepotism hire coffee boy wanted.

There is writing and acting that could be good-amazing in a better show:

This poo poo falls entirely on the showrunner for how awful it fell apart.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Khanstant posted:

I wonder how much they paid Spiner because it wasn't enough for him to even pretend to want to be there

It's an :lol: if you imagine Lore as Brent Spiner's opinion on this dumpsterfire

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I dunno, I doubt Spiner was going ever going to turn down an easy paycheck that let him ham it up the way he did with Lore.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s an alert created by the Lower Decks shift so that they know when to stop loving around on the bridge and get back to work

NIGHT CREW!!!! Beer me

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Spiner did The Master of Disguise.
He has no low bar.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I could absolutely buy Data would not kill Lore though. That's fair

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Khanstant posted:

I have to think that showing up again puts another shot in the arm of people wanting to see him at conventions too. So he gets a ripple effect of extra income in the future above and beyond this one job. Plus if he didn't do it, he would be getting asked "hey, why didn't you do the last season of picard with everybody else?" questions for the rest of his life.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I could absolutely buy Data would not kill Lore though. That's fair

Even the episode itself felt pretty noncommittal about that though. Like yeah we had the embarrassing Spiner hug and goodbye but then two minutes later he’s telling Geordi that parts of Lore are still with him.

When I saw the Datalore battle I was really hoping it would end with Data giving Lore all these moments of compassion and friendship and camaraderie and having Lore willingly integrate them into his program as a way of Data actually dying but in his death giving Lore these things he never had the opportunity to have.

Then, that would somehow result in a Lore that finally grappled with his hatred and traumas and would actually strive to be better and imo that’s a far more interesting character to play with.

But no, we only have two episodes left so DATA’S BACK EVERYBODY!

Please clap.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Even the episode itself felt pretty noncommittal about that though. Like yeah we had the embarrassing Spiner hug and goodbye but then two minutes later he’s telling Geordi that parts of Lore are still with him.

When I saw the Datalore battle I was really hoping it would end with Data giving Lore all these moments of compassion and friendship and camaraderie and having Lore willingly integrate them into his program as a way of Data actually dying but in his death giving Lore these things he never had the opportunity to have.

Then, that would somehow result in a Lore that finally grappled with his hatred and traumas and would actually strive to be better and imo that’s a far more interesting character to play with.

But no, we only have two episodes left so DATA’S BACK EVERYBODY!

Please clap.

:vince:

Holy poo poo redeeming Lore through radical empathy would have been way more Star Trek. Great rewrite tbh

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

TulliusCicero posted:

:vince:

Holy poo poo redeeming Lore through radical empathy would have been way more Star Trek. Great rewrite tbh

It genuinely seemed like that was the direction they were heading in! But no, Data does a last minute “haha get hosed buddy this was my plan all along” instead.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Wingnut Ninja posted:

You know how at the beginning of First Contact when Worf shows up with the Defiant and the soundtrack does a little hit of the Klingon theme from TMP? Wasn't that a fun little callback?

Well if it was fun once, surely it must be even better if we play it every loving time that Worf appears, right?

DS9 did this from time to time too but it was usually more subtle (which yeah, is partly because the soundtrack is in general, but still). it's fine i think

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I wasn't exactly sure how hacky they were going with the red door thing, so I double checked what the door to picard's mom's room was. It was a white door with a lever handle, and not a red door with a knob handle. For a minute there, I was sure they were going to make ghost mom the big bad.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It genuinely seemed like that was the direction they were heading in! But no, Data does a last minute “haha get hosed buddy this was my plan all along” instead.

Agreed. I thought they were doing that, and I guess they did except the end was like "Haha it's actually Data!"

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Lol that all of the TNG crew were listed as "special guest" in the credits.

I probably should just stop watching this show, but the inertia is real and there's only 2 episodes left

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
that's gotta be deliberate. honestly if they started revealing most of this poo poo four episodes ago i'm not sure many people would have stuck with it, but now there's only two left and they basically half-mashed the reset button so it doesn't seem like too much of an ask

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

TulliusCicero posted:

Italian TNG watcher spotted

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Professor Beetus posted:

Italian TNG watcher spotted

Lmao I didn't even realize I spelled Geordi that way

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I bet the finale will have the Enterprise-C appear again, only this time, from an earlier time period than its first temporal anomaly, Jack Crusher will go back in time on it, get amnesia, then become Picard's Academy friend, knock up Crusher, and bing bong, Wesley is suddenly Picard's grandson.

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 6, 2023

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
LMAO this is a loving trainwreck of a show and I am all about it. gently caress yea.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Jack Crusher is actually Sisko in prophet form

Don't ask how, LOOK VADIC GOT OWNED YEEEAAAAHHHH

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Reminder that DS9 changelings from the Gamma Quadrant were waaaay more skilled at their poo poo than Odo. Vadic not having the practice or knowledge to turn into a warp capable creature strikes me as okay given how she was raised by someone who was more Nazi Scientist than Mora was.

The Troi deal, however... I have no words. None.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

By wasting Lore as a villain, the show remains very faithful to TNG. I do like Data becoming a real boy though.

Worf still owns, and always will.

Good riddance to Vadic. Dumb villain, no connection at all to the heroes, made no sense. If she comes back, I will be sad.

I was tired of the psychic Jack mystery the episode they introduced it, but they just.. keep doing it