Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Powershift would you quit using the clone stamp tool to make these fake grilles so huge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

BuckyDoneGun posted:

I mention freshly imported used cars from Japan because that's where we get a huge amount of our fleet and Aqua's for about $10-12k is about the cheapest hybrid you can buy and still get a CCT rebate, just illustrating the financials in our market.

Chicken tax. You don't build the Hilux there and Toyota clearly doesn't think they'd sell enough to make it worth it.

Yeah, I know. It’s the same reason we can’t have the GR Yaris and got the Corolla instead. But this seems like a great opportunity to do a GR Tacoma as a truly race dedicated follow up to the TRD.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Has the thread talked about the Kia EV9 yet?

I generally hate SUVs, but this thing looks real cool IMO.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tesla door handles LOL have these people not learned anything

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Admittedly I do hate the retractable handles thing. But otherwise...

It's why I won't buy a 992 (what no it's definitely not because I can't afford one, shut up)

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I think they have learned something, namely that the type of people who actually buy these things love that gimmicky bullshit and don't really care that they actually suck.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah they love them until they don't work and then complain on twitter :v:

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

Sab669 posted:

Has the thread talked about the Kia EV9 yet?

I generally hate SUVs, but this thing looks real cool IMO.

Based on how Kia Telluride drivers behave I'm looking forward to having one flashing it's headlights 3ft from my rear bumper in the far right lane on the highway.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
what the gently caress is up with that steering wheel

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I think it's for the schmucks who think a yoke is a good idea, but every other designer on the team was like, "No you loving idiot give it an actual wheel"

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It's just a 4-spoke wheel?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Applebees Appetizer posted:

The Ioniq 5 and EV6 already have them, that ship has sailed. I’d love to see the data on whether there’s any aero benefit at all over something like the Taycan that has flush normal door handles.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

It's just a 4-spoke wheel?

:shrug:

Those parts to me look like someone really wanted you to hold it there.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Sab669 posted:

:shrug:

Those parts to me look like someone really wanted you to hold it there.

It has the usual “hold here” bulges at 10 and 2. It’s probably meant to be evocative of a yoke which the EV9 concept had, but it’s just a regular rear end wheel.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Right, like I said it looks like there was 1 designer on the team with a hardon for Tesla but everyone else on the team talked some sense into them so it has an actual wheel.

I didn't see the concept version that had a yoke that you speak of, though.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Nohearum posted:

Based on how Kia Telluride drivers behave I'm looking forward to having one flashing it's headlights 3ft from my rear bumper in the far right lane on the highway.

I laugh every time I see a Telluride or whatever the Hyundai version is called because I know that person is probably a schmuck that paid a massive markup.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Sab669 posted:

Right, like I said it looks like there was 1 designer on the team with a hardon for Tesla but everyone else on the team talked some sense into them so it has an actual wheel.

I didn't see the concept version that had a yoke that you speak of, though.

Yokes look cool, and they definitely existed in concept cars before Tesla was dumb enough to actually put one in a production model.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Seems like the same Hyundai/Kia 4 spoke wheel they've used in a bunch of vehicles, my Sonata has it. I don't think it looks as bad as the Genesis pillow wheel, at least.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I laugh every time I see a Telluride or whatever the Hyundai version is called because I know that person is probably a schmuck that paid a massive markup.

Its so hard to get excited for anything out of KIA/Hyundai because no matter how cool it is or could be, you have to go to a KIA/Hyundai dealership and deal with said dealership, and that is a bridge too far for me.

At first I thought it was only the ones around me, but nope, I checked in order cities and the same poo poo happens there too. Had family and Co-workers try to get cars in different states, and they had similar situations.
To get one of these cars, your going to have to put up with the worst of why people hate loving dealerships.
On top of that, just about every single one of these dealerships is adding ADM which makes KIA/Hyundai models that were meant to be cheaper and undercut their competition now more than their competition.

You've got Sportages listing than more than RAV4s and CRVs.
Genesis GV70s listing for more than FULLY LOADED BMW X3 M40is.
Insane.

So as neat at this stuff looks in these pics and press releases, I just keep looking into the distance of these photos. Imagining the press car driving back to a dealership with a inflatable gorilla telling me I need to pay $10K over MSRP and need $700 window etching in order to take one of these cars off the lot. And I better hurry before someone who is ok with a 10 year loan does!

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Spent a couple days trying to get a price out of local Subaru dealer via the Costco auto buy program. $2500 markup on any car, no rebates, no costco.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Franco Caution posted:

Its so hard to get excited for anything out of KIA/Hyundai because no matter how cool it is or could be, you have to go to a KIA/Hyundai dealership and deal with said dealership, and that is a bridge too far for me.

At first I thought it was only the ones around me, but nope, I checked in order cities and the same poo poo happens there too. Had family and Co-workers try to get cars in different states, and they had similar situations.
To get one of these cars, your going to have to put up with the worst of why people hate loving dealerships.
On top of that, just about every single one of these dealerships is adding ADM which makes KIA/Hyundai models that were meant to be cheaper and undercut their competition now more than their competition.

You've got Sportages listing than more than RAV4s and CRVs.
Genesis GV70s listing for more than FULLY LOADED BMW X3 M40is.
Insane.

So as neat at this stuff looks in these pics and press releases, I just keep looking into the distance of these photos. Imagining the press car driving back to a dealership with a inflatable gorilla telling me I need to pay $10K over MSRP and need $700 window etching in order to take one of these cars off the lot. And I better hurry before someone who is ok with a 10 year loan does!

My experience with my particular dealer (shoutout Dick's Hillsboro Hyundai) was good with both sales and service, but hooooooly gently caress when I was in Cleveland and trying to get service it was a nightmare of incompetence and poo poo and the salesmen wandering around the showrooms while I was waiting were slimy as gently caress. My girlfriend really liked the GV70 but the appeal was short-lived when she actually looked into one and got to hear about the complete lack of availability and insane markups.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My local Kia dealer replaced an entire engine under warranty without much fuss so I’m not going to complain.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

davebo posted:

Powershift would you quit using the clone stamp tool to make these fake grilles so huge?

That's the old poo poo, I'm already onto what's coming next.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Powershift posted:

That's the old poo poo, I'm already onto what's coming next.

ah, the new Supra Cross

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The Ioniq 5 and EV6 already have them, that ship has sailed. I’d love to see the data on whether there’s any aero benefit at all over something like the Taycan that has flush normal door handles.

Yeah I'm on the side of doubting the small amount of extra drag reduction is worth the potential issues.

I'd rather have cameras for mirrors and be able to open the door when I need to

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Fellatio del Toro posted:

ah, the new Supra Cross

bwahaha. Oh gently caress delete this because I can see this happening. :(

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

ah, the new Supra Cross

I think I now understand the sense of impeding doom you supposedly get if you're stung by Irukandji jellyfish.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

My local Kia dealer replaced an entire engine under warranty without much fuss so I’m not going to complain.

lol, they're very experienced with doing that by now.

Every now and then tiktok takes me across a video where a shop has 50 dead theta or whatever the problem engine is laying on the ground everywhere.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

fknlo posted:

Every now and then tiktok takes me across a video where a shop has 50 dead theta or whatever the problem engine is laying on the ground everywhere.

I have an engine warrantied to 150K miles now so not complaining. The original engine started burning oil at about 60k miles.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

fknlo posted:

This guy is up to his 65th engine replacement so far this year.

https://www.tiktok.com/@craigmohawkchristman/video/7218669319843040558

The local Hyundai/Kia dealers around me are still way behind where they should be. Still acting like they're the bad credit you should be grateful they'll even sell you a car dealer, and not selling 50 to 80K+ vehicles.

The best dealer in my area that I'm familiar with so far is hands down the Lexus dealer. Onsite nail salon, coffee bar, massage therapist. Top tier customer service.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Lexus has the best customer service and the best dealership experience overall.

It's one of the reasons my wife regrets going from a Lexus to a Toyota, the Toyota dealership is very :mediocre:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

fknlo posted:

I'm glad the Kappa seems to be mostly trouble free, I see plenty of cars with those for sale with 250K+ KM.

Ours has certainly been well-behaved for the first 1500 km we've had it (108,500 km total), it serviced by Hyundai every year on the dot (it's a 2016) and has done mostly highway miles.

E: and it's So. Smooth.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 6, 2023

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

ah, the new Supra Cross

:mods:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

phosdex posted:

Spent a couple days trying to get a price out of local Subaru dealer via the Costco auto buy program. $2500 markup on any car, no rebates, no costco.

Crazy out there. Very thankful I was able to order one of the first 2nd gen brzs with and markup

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Another new GR product the US can't have:

This is what AU/NZ are getting as the "Dakar inspired" Hilux GR Sport - slightly different to what South Africa, Japan and Thailand get already with the same name, with a bit more done to it.

It’ll be 0-100 in 10.something seconds. I don’t see the four cylinder diesel cutting it in the ‘premium’ (lol) ute market now that Ford has the V6 diesel and much more powerful petrol Raptor available.

I was watching a ute comparison on one of the big Aussie YouTube channel and either the Silverado or Ram did with the dyno trailer 0-100 quicker than some of the normal utes unladen.

E. Lol

dissss fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 6, 2023

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

skipdogg posted:

This guy is up to his 65th engine replacement so far this year.

https://www.tiktok.com/@craigmohawkchristman/video/7218669319843040558

I initially read this as an owner was having a 65th engine installed this year into a single vehicle, and was extremely skeptical.

:v:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

MrYenko posted:

I initially read this as an owner was having a 65th engine installed this year into a single vehicle, and was extremely skeptical.

:v:

This is what I imagine a 65th engine into single vehicle drive cycle would look like:

Start engine.
Burry acceletor
Shift into drive
Modulate brake to maintain speed and rate of acceletion.
Shift to neutral as needed to cool braking system.

Drive to nearest dealer, upon engine death coast into service bay.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Are the replacement engines better than the original ones ?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

Crazy out there. Very thankful I was able to order one of the first 2nd gen brzs with and markup

It really comes down to your local area. My dad bought an Ascent back in November without any markup even though they didn't have any on the lot at the time. He was literally at the dealer as it was being unloaded from the truck and asked about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Second closest Subaru dealer won't give me a price, insists I come in. I guess the first didn't actually give me a price either, just finally relented and told me what their markup would be.