Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

here is where Williams begins his Olympic tumbling routine

lol this guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

snyprmag posted:

Celtics vs sixers second round series is going to be such a messy flop off

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Embiid will remember this and bring his A-game against Grant next time. Really get into his flopping bag. Might debut a new move, double hesi head snap to full eagle slip n slide or something.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

snyprmag posted:

Celtics vs sixers second round series is going to be such a messy flop off

i could absolutely see the sixers somehow managing to lose a series to the nets

they won't beat the celtics though either way

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

as I mentioned that is his startle reflex.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

triple sulk posted:

i could absolutely see the sixers somehow managing to lose a series to the nets

they won't beat the celtics though either way

Sixers can def beat the Celtics assuming the refs are not bought off.

Celtics have no answer to embiid.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

It's okay, this is my emotional support flop

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

euphronius posted:

i don't think he can average 40 points for the series, and even if he could i don't trust the rest of the team at this point

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

triple sulk posted:

i can't really describe this super well but any title winning team will have a bench half composed of guys who are bullshit. like by basketball standards they're still in the top .000001% of the world, but they're still bench players who are inconsistent. however, every game you will get at least a couple of those guys getting 10-12 points. it isn't always the same guys, but it is guaranteed.

the sixers don't have that

this point stands

the sixers almost blew a 7ish point lead or whatever it was in 15 seconds because of incompetence and embiid needed to score more points than the rest of the team combined

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Embiid was on fire, who cares if he scores most of the points.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

euphronius posted:

Embiid was on fire, who cares if he scores most of the points.

he can't keep that up. gets tired

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

falling down and getting back up takes a lot out of a guy

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

skipping 80 posts

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I will DM my good posts AIT

(I won’t be DMing you anything )

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

triple sulk posted:

i don't think he can average 40 points for the series, and even if he could i don't trust the rest of the team at this point

he could def average 40. especially if Boston plays grant Williams on him

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

if he averages 40 in a series vs another top 4 seed I'll take back anything bad I ever said about him (except for the personality stuff)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

euphronius posted:

https://streamable.com/1ffbxj

lol.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

the future is in good hands

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Why pay Butler $35 million per year when you can pay Tobias Harris $37 million per year?

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Mean Baby posted:

I’m pretty sure Billups benched Sharpe at the end of the 4th last night fearing he would single handedly defeat the Grizzlies. Expert tanking.

he did and tonight it was benching mays and finishing with john butler jr as point guard

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Did philly have a chance to keep jimmy buckets and choose not to?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

the FO didn’t want to upset Ben by signing a guy that was critical of his work ethic and game to a max deal, but even then they were still in negotiations and just before he signed in Miami leaked some stuff to the media about how they were worried they wouldn't be able to "control" him which he said was the tipping point because of how disrespectful it was

which I mean, cmon Jimmy, how did it end on your previous teams. but still you don't have the GM leak that poo poo.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Shear Modulus posted:

Did philly have a chance to keep jimmy buckets and choose not to?

maybe. jimmy always wanted to go to Miami. but there is a lot of smoke that he would have stayed

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

fart simpson posted:

the future is in good hands

Tobias literally has one year left on his contract, which is realistically probably the length of Philly’s window. I think this is a reach.

It’s not like FAs sign anywhere that isn’t Miami, LA, or NYC. As an expiring contract, they’ll be able to get off him if they want.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

anyway are you really going to give a big contract to a guy who looks like this

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

the nets can still lose their 6 seed I stg if they blow it against the magic and this sixers game on the last day of the season actually matters I'm gonna Lose it.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

a new study bible! posted:

Tobias literally has one year left on his contract, which is realistically probably the length of Philly’s window. I think this is a reach.

It’s not like FAs sign anywhere that isn’t Miami, LA, or NYC. As an expiring contract, they’ll be able to get off him if they want.

Embiid will probably be MVP this year. Philly is allegedly a major city. Clearly, the Sixers should have no trouble signing a big free agent!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

anyway are you really going to give a big contract to a guy who looks like this

The dog quotient needed to pull off that hairstyle is off the drat charts.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

harden was a free agent

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
oh man there is going to be so much insanity in the Western Conference tonight - what a day to be alive.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

It’s not like FAs sign anywhere that isn’t Miami, LA, or NYC.

I've never understood why people think this is true. If this were true, the Knicks would have way more signings than they do but they don't because being in a big market is a perk sure and might even be a tiebreaker if choosing between two destinations but it isn't the top thing. Max contract players sign will always sign where they think gives them the best chance for a ring, full stop.

Every off-season the Knicks talk like they're gonna sign a superteam but who was the last superstar to sign there? Probably Carmelo and that was more than a decade ago. The Clippers did it recently but before that no one wanted to sign with them despite them being in LA. If being in LA was what really mattered, they'd have signings going back to before their current ownership.

Golden State got Durant during the cap spike despite being the 13th biggest metropolitan area and a ton of other teams having cap space and being in bigger cities.

Players sign with the Heat or the Lakers because they perceive them to be well placed to win a championship year in and year out. The Nets managed to claw into that perception, but I expect they'll go back to being a mid-tier destination soon. If Philly can't get players to sign there, it's not because they're in Philly and players only want a city where they don't throw batteries at Santa.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the bucks are top-tier title contenders and look to likely be able to remain as such for several more seasons as giannis isn't showing signs of slowing down, but i'm pretty sure the only all-star free agent they've signed is brook lopez in 2018

e: i think they had cap space a few years ago before giannis's supermax

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 7, 2023

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I dunno much about their cap situation from back then but they had Middleton coming up on a max extension they knew they were gonna need to sign. Not sure if that factored in or not but regardless they didn't win the championship until 20-21.

Yeah, they went to the ECF two years before that but before that they hadn't gotten that far since the 00-01 team led by Ray Allen and coached by George Karl. The Bucks are not, to put it mildly, an organization with a winning history. Before Giannis, they're the very definition of a mediocre organization. Might make the playoffs, might not, definitely aren't making a run.

They can sign there and hope an organization that for 20 years hasn't made good moves might suddenly start making better ones or they can sign with Pat Riley. Kind of a no brainer for a star.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

the bucks are top-tier title contenders and look to likely be able to remain as such for several more seasons as giannis isn't showing signs of slowing down, but i'm pretty sure the only all-star free agent they've signed is brook lopez in 2018

e: i think they had cap space a few years ago before giannis's supermax

Bucks have been fully built out and without real space to add a star player for awhile now.

The current Bucks big three/four (I would include Brook among their important guys) is probably already approaching the last couple years of their dominance, though. The league moves fast.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
https://twitter.com/JaredWeissNBA/status/1644468727579136005

rip celtics

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

that sucks

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
lol 5 stitches and they wrap his entire hand like it got cut off

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

immobilized

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

I've had a really bad hand wound like that and yeah it does suck, but he'll be playing when the playoff start for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

yeah I’m mostly thinking of the time I've been in a situation like that trying to grab something glass as it broke without thinking and then whoops you can see the white meat