Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

kojima predicted president trump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

kojima predicted president trump

So did a Brooke Shields sitcom from the mid-90s.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Suddenly Susan really was ahead of its time

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
suddenly sahelanthropus

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Dixville posted:

Not to defend her, but some people that have to work with very difficult stressful jobs that involve death and pain/ suffering will use humor as an outlet for that stress. I know it doesn't seem funny at all, it's actually extremely awful but I'm just saying this is not uncommon to see with people in the medical field especially, gallows humor type stuff that's hard to get when you aren't in on the joke because you don't deal with death in your work. Like I wouldn't have laughed at that at all and I'm not saying it's good that she posted it. I'm just trying to wrap my head around it and make it make sense. Maybe that's my mistake.

I liked some of the stuff elise posted but it was a pretty long time ago and I don't really remember what she was like other than that. I feel like if you say something like that you don't belong here. But I bet if she posted that on some medic subreddit or Facebook group or whatever she'd get laughs from people. It's a kinda hosed up coping mechanism and something that's not often discussed outside of certain circles.

This is from a while back but yeah. I had an older friend who passed away recently who was a paramedic. He told me about his first night on the job. "I wasn't shocked by what I saw, but I was shocked by my coworkers joking attitude." Then he soon found himself cracking jokes along with them. He explained it like this, "If you don't laugh, you get sad. If you get sad you start to cry. If you cry, then you breakdown and you can't do your job."

I also had a friend who worked in a bar and the guy who owned it was the local undertaker (something strangely common where I'm from). My friend said he would drop things in conversation that would make most peoples hair stand on end.

I'm not trying to defend elise, I honestly don't know much about her or that saga.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's a thing that happens with all kinds of people, even parents and pet owners; making casual jokes about weird, gross and/or terrible poo poo they deal with enough that it's become routine, because it's just a part of life.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Doctor Goat posted:

Imagine the karma we'd all have if we'd kept logging in on GameFAQs all these years...

might be the greatest sig of all time...

Teenage Riot
May 25, 2010

This is actually referencing another video where some LPer with the nerdiest possible voice insisted that it was a reference to Skyrim and not, y'know, the Wounded Knee Massacre. I remember the quote "Booker DeWitt, wounded in the knee."

Real gamers know that they’re both ultimately referencing Turtles in Time

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

So did 1980s Bloom County

Turns out the guy who talked about running for president for decades eventually actually did it

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Paladinus posted:

The goon who made the video didn't actually know about the Wounded Knee Massacre (on the account of not being American) and legitimately thought it was a Skyrim reference.
lmao

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
The lurker league, EXP is on tonight

https://www.twitch.tv/ritoru_demon

First match at 9pm EST!

Tune in PYF saga thread

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Paladinus posted:

The goon who made the video didn't actually know about the Wounded Knee Massacre (on the account of not being American) and legitimately thought it was a Skyrim reference.
How on earth lmao

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Drinkslinger posted:

How on earth lmao

He thought "Wounded Knee" was a reference to the "I took an arrow to the knee" meme.

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Ammat The Ankh posted:

He thought "Wounded Knee" was a reference to the "I took an arrow to the knee" meme.
Yeah I saw that, I was more amazed that he'd never heard of the real-life battle :v:

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Drinkslinger posted:

Yeah I saw that, I was more amazed that he'd never heard of the real-life battle :v:

The number of Americans who don't know about Wounded Knee is probably depressingly high

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Powerful Katrinka posted:

The number of Americans who don't know about Wounded Knee is probably depressingly high

Yeah this. I’m not sure why it’s at all surprising why he hadn’t heard of it.

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008
As a non-American, I'd never heard of it before playing Infinite, and I just assumed it was some battle somewhere (or possibly even fictional). It's really not as notable here (I still know pretty much nothing about it).

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Tunzie posted:

As a non-American, I'd never heard of it before playing Infinite, and I just assumed it was some battle somewhere (or possibly even fictional). It's really not as notable here (I still know pretty much nothing about it).

In my experience that is kind of taught in the last few months of history and it gets zipped through because of poo poo there's 2 months left and we gotta get past WW2 and we're at the civil war.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
In my schooling, any events that night remind the students that American westward expansion was conquest instead of expansion into mostly-empty land was conveniently skipped over, including Wounded Knee. I had heard the name but knew nothing about it

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Powerful Katrinka posted:

A few years ago my grandmother had to explain to my aunt what happened at Wounded knee when discussing the book we got her for christmas (Bury my heart at Wounded Knee), as my aunt had heard that something happened there but knew nothing of the specifics.

Said aunt grew up within an hour and a half of Wounded Knee. poo poo, I grew up there too and didn't learn about it until after we moved.

Deki fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Apr 6, 2023

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
in morrowind, a "peculiar institution" of chattal slavery is enacted by a special class of powerful wizards

analogous to late stage capitalism

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

cheetah7071 posted:

In my schooling, any events that night remind the students that American westward expansion was conquest instead of expansion into mostly-empty land was conveniently skipped over, including Wounded Knee. I had heard the name but knew nothing about it

Yeah this is depressingly common, or the trope that they were welcomed onto the land by Native Americans. Most history books gloss over the extermination of Native peoples and takeovers of their lands. Even when they do mention it (Trail of Tears is a great example) it's usually only a paragraph or two before getting back to "here's what we did with the land". Never mind the fact that a lot of Native people were forced into "Christian" schools to be "civilized".

Fun fact: you can actually blame Texas for all of this!

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Fun fact: you can actually blame Texas for all of this!

Because they get to decide things about school textbook contents that affect large parts of the nation, right?

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i think it's legitimate and fine for a non-american to be unfamiliar with historical us atrocities. like why would a brazilian guy learn about wounded knee in high school or whatever? much less excusable if you're from the us though.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I guess things are really different in different parts of Texas. I learned about all of our atrocities and how bad they were in school and I went to school in Texas.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I guess things are really different in different parts of Texas. I learned about all of our atrocities and how bad they were in school and I went to school in Texas.

Yeah we in WI learned about Wounded Knee; it’s also really easy to pass all your history without actually learning the things that happened though.

In my experience the class was either someone reading at you for an hour or putting on a video and falling asleep.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

Drinkslinger posted:

Cool, guess you will ace the Australian history quiz later then? We even have real-life battles featuring emus!

Australia is bad enough at acknowledging atrocities that happened here, let alone poo poo elsewhere

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

wow, you talked about that goon chili recipe in school?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Tenkaris posted:

Because they get to decide things about school textbook contents that affect large parts of the nation, right?

Yeah basically and their education board is filled with super old people who yearn for the 1950s

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I once saw an American goon get indignant about the existence of residential schools in Canada who believed that no such thing had ever happened in America.

Sometimes people just don't get taught things. School system's a bit of a gamble.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mad Hamish posted:

I once saw an American goon get indignant about the existence of residential schools in Canada who believed that no such thing had ever happened in America.

Sometimes people just don't get taught things. School system's a bit of a gamble.

To be fair the US policy was less 'resident schools for 100+ years to erase culture' and more of a 'we tried, can't civilized these savages, dump them in lovely areas and let them call it their own land' and then just let every exploitive business imaginable set up shop 5 feet across the boundary line.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

pentyne posted:

To be fair the US policy was less 'resident schools for 100+ years to erase culture'

From wikipedia: American Indian boarding schools, also known more recently as American Indian residential schools, were established in the United States from the mid-17th to the early 20th centuries with a primary objective of "civilizing" or assimilating Native American children and youth into European American culture.

pentyne posted:

and more of a 'we tried, can't civilized these savages, dump them in lovely areas and let them call it their own land' and then just let every exploitive business imaginable set up shop 5 feet across the boundary line.

the american indian wars my guy

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

pentyne posted:

To be fair the US policy was less 'resident schools for 100+ years to erase culture' and more of a 'we tried, can't civilized these savages, dump them in lovely areas and let them call it their own land' and then just let every exploitive business imaginable set up shop 5 feet across the boundary line.

USA also had residential schools and a long inglorious history of trying to school Indians on how to be god-fearing WASPs. Dartmouth, of all places, was founded to train Indians to be Puritan proselytes—“civilizing and Christianizing the children of pagans” is still in the charter iirc, or at least the Dartmouth alums in my family trot it out whenever they hear about students doing crime

The land clearances and other ethnic cleansing stuff was also going on often at the same time, just to be clear. But yeah the residential school thing is not unique to Canada

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Also the American frontier was way more violent, from the Mississipi to the Pacific was basically one big racist warzone for decades

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Tenkaris posted:

Yeah

we're trying to do something about it but Beto was a useless candidate

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

gay

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

sorry, I get mad about this becuase I deal with it as an irl thing

hosed up that the gbs mod would start this derail imo

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
yeah history talk should be banned unless it is about the forums or especially videogames

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

using historical videogames to roundabout rant about portrayals of german tanks in the film The Battle of the Bulge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

confusing the ainu people with the inuit in the middle of my rant about nintendo and pokemon being racist