Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm

lobster shirt posted:

cake donuts are my favorite kind

Why would you come in here and say this bad thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

sleepy gary posted:

If I was eating donut holes with chopsticks I'd just use one chopstick to stab at the donuts and shove them into my gaping maw.

tell me you're white without telling me you're white

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

tell me you're white without telling me you're white

I'm telling ya... "Dango Unchained" and it's just donut-holes skewered on chopsticks in rural Pennsylvania.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
cake donut and a styrofoam cup of lovely black coffee is 5am breakfast combo that can't be beat

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

cake donut and a styrofoam cup of lovely black coffee is 5am breakfast combo that can't be beat

Sorry, can't hear you over this lovely-rear end unsweetened McDonalds iced tea and instantaneously-cold hash brown.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

cinnamon rollout posted:

Why would you come in here and say this bad thing

I mean, theoretically, cake doughnuts could be kosher for Passover, thus filling that very tiny and limited time niche of "people who want doughnuts during Passover".

In practice, I'm pretty sure cake doughnuts are still leavened, just not with yeast. And also there's no way OP could get enough matzo cake meal to make the experiment worth it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Show me a cake donut that's been injected with delicious pudding, and maybe I'll give em a chance.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

Show me a cake donut that's been injected with delicious pudding, and maybe I'll give em a chance.

jfc I didn't know donuts had casting couches. :wtc:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Sundae posted:

jfc I didn't know donuts had casting couches. :wtc:

what are you doing in the mornings. we out here fuckin donuts

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
Yeast is superior and I used to feel the opposite and I’m pretty sure the reason I’ve changed my mind is that I’ve eaten enough yeast to infect my brain

E: https://www.ebay.com/itm/125826432381?hash=item1d4bd6fd7d:g:utUAAOSwSd1kE3j3

So does one of those things make it ready to proof? Can I really shape a dozen dozen in like five minutes?

Rationale fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Apr 5, 2023

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm

Rationale posted:

Yeast is superior and I used to feel the opposite and I’m pretty sure the reason I’ve changed my mind is that I’ve eaten enough yeast to infect my brain

E: https://www.ebay.com/itm/125826432381?hash=item1d4bd6fd7d:g:utUAAOSwSd1kE3j3

So does one of those things make it ready to proof? Can I really shape a dozen dozen in like five minutes?

Those things are really neat and they do work fast

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Rationale posted:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125826432381?hash=item1d4bd6fd7d:g:utUAAOSwSd1kE3j3

More like two or three dozen rolled in five seconds. All you do is flatten your dough on the tray (it'll have a special tray), bring the top down to cut it, then turn it on and let it go for three to five seconds to roll. The first time you use one will feel miraculous

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
This guy has a demo and he also happens to have some advice before and afterward
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZU-2zIzqvBA

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

You should just buy all the equipment you see - you’ll either have a use for it once you’re up and running or you can just flip it. For price just try to get 10-20% off so you have a margin if you have to flip.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

You should just buy all the equipment you see - you’ll either have a use for it once you’re up and running or you can just flip it. For price just try to get 10-20% off so you have a margin if you have to flip.

You’re being sort of rude but you have a good point like maybe focus less on building the most efficient and effective bakery in the land and focus more on opening it and making money. Making doughnuts by hand might even be a more effective means of buying the rounder than what I’m doing now.

But imagine cutting 18 pounds of dough into 144 2oz balls and trying to keep them within variance and roll them for the proofer without dripping sweat and then imagine running one of those machines four times for less than a minute.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Rationale posted:

You’re being sort of rude but you have a good point like maybe focus less on building the most efficient and effective bakery in the land and focus more on opening it and making money. Making doughnuts by hand might even be a more effective means of buying the rounder than what I’m doing now.

But imagine cutting 18 pounds of dough into 144 2oz balls and trying to keep them within variance and roll them for the proofer without dripping sweat and then imagine running one of those machines four times for less than a minute.

So if you’re aiming for an efficient and effective bakery what is the list of ideal minimum equipment you would use for this? It isn’t efficient to have all of it and you don’t have infinite space or labor to run it all.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Anime Store Adventure posted:

So if you’re aiming for an efficient and effective bakery what is the list of ideal minimum equipment you would use for this? It isn’t efficient to have all of it and you don’t have infinite space or labor to run it all.

Planning ahead? Sounds like spreadsheet nerdery.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
Between a rounder and a cake arm I’ll be making fast as gently caress right out of the gate. It’s not like I’m also buying a sheeter and a noodle machine. I’ll buy any kind of silly poo poo for auction prices but if they’re selling it on purpose I’ve got to be picky.

The guy selling the belshaw machine said his dough sheeter was the mvp.

I’m not planning on doing cut doughnuts so I don’t want a sheeter.

I can get a divider for like $1300 that would save a bunch of time

I can get an alibaba lookin divider/rounder for $3600 and ideally it’d make dough proofer ready faster than I could mix it. Then after it breaks down 277000 buns in I can upgrade to the classic west German model.

On the floor I basically need:

Mixer
Fridge
Rounder
Proofer
Fryer
Filler

That’s it for making Berliners. With that equipment I can make a whole lot of doughnuts real fast. (Table and carts and poo poo too, I have to say that around these types)

Then throw in a cake arm and I can make something for everyone real fast

Thinking about doing vegan cake donuts “because our doughnuts each have about an egg and a tablespoon of butter in them”

That way I can sell them a bit higher than they get at all these other cake-only setups.

But then there’s this range I bought for peanuts and I can use it to make fillings and save a little money or go all-out makin custard with the little vanilla specks. Could also make coffee syrups or “real” food down the line like every holiday is such a pain in the rear end six extra burners would be nice.

That’ll go under the grease hood with the fryer and under the exhaust hood with the proofer we’ll put a double decker oven because we bought one lol but really cookies make bank from what I hear and they go freezer to front of house in like twenty minutes

So there you can see the dougnut kitchen starting to take in a definitive shape and clarity of purpose like I’m getting there it’s just as many of you have noted I don’t know poo poo about gently caress and I’m figuring it out as I go

Then I’ve still got the whole cafe side to worry about lol

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

work got a box of fancy donuts from some new spot near the office and they stuck around way longer than 2 dozen hot glazed would have

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Is there enough of a market for vegan donuts where you live to make it worth the time, effort, and ingredients? I thought you lived in Ohio

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Typically, highly automated fancy machines increase your up front capital costs and therefore require a certain volume of sales to make sense. The more you spend up front on machines, the longer you'll need to stay open selling the most donuts possible daily in order to hit a breakeven point. If you only ever wind up selling a maximum of 300 donuts a day, it'll feel stupid to have spent money on stuff that can produce 1000 (identical, same-flavored, same style?) donuts an hour. If you have unlimited money, sure, go ahead and assume that spending on high volume machines will be fine and if you wind up running each one for 40 seconds a day to produce all the donuts you sell that day, well, that'll be a-OK.

Most small businesses have a limited amount of startup capital though, and they need to preserve a big chunk of it to cover costs for the period during which the business isn't making money yet. You can expect months of shaking out as you hire/lose staff, change your menu a lot, spend on marketing, make a lot of mistakes and need to spend money to deal with them. And the most common reason small startup restaurant/food services business fail is undercapitalization. They close in six months because they run out of money, but if they'd had enough money to stay open longer, they might have reached a sales volume that ultimately would have been successful.

Given your building is still in an absolutely disastrous state, I'll speculate that you have no idea how much money it's going to cost you to get it to the point it passes health inspections and can serve food to customers, and until that day, you're spending money on donut making kit that you might actually need for pouring concrete, mold abatement, electrical work, flooring, hvac, security systems, paint, lighting, etc. Seems a bit backwards to me!

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

Given your building is still in an absolutely disastrous state, I'll speculate that you have no idea how much money it's going to cost you to get it to the point it passes health inspections and can serve food to customers, and until that day, you're spending money on donut making kit that you might actually need for pouring concrete, mold abatement, electrical work, flooring, hvac, security systems, paint, lighting, etc. Seems a bit backwards to me!

Rude! Have you considered that you just don't have the moxie to seize the business opportunity that everyone else has overlooked, selling pastries?

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

Democratic Pirate posted:

work got a box of fancy donuts from some new spot near the office and they stuck around way longer than 2 dozen hot glazed would have

You can make rounds into rings

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Speaking of vegan food, I was gung-ho to make vegan lemon cookies last weekend until I got sick with either a really bad cold or a really mild flu. I transferred to a new position and at least one of my new coworkers is vegan, so he missed out on the mint chocolate cookies I made a few weeks ago. They're also just really delicious cookies that you don't need to be vegan to enjoy. I'll probably make them next week, but I need to buy more specialty ingredients for them, like egg replacer and vegan margarine. (A lot of margarine has milk solids, gotta check the label.) I found silken tofu at the grocery store without a problem this time; it's a soft, shelf-stable tofu that's perfect for baking or blending into smoothies

Anyone else doing some baking these days? Maybe for the holidays? I liked when this was also the BFC baking thread, let's bring that back

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

litany of gulps posted:

Rude! Have you considered that you just don't have the moxie to seize the business opportunity that everyone else has overlooked, selling pastries?

There’s a bakery in town that will occasionally be closed because their delivery didn’t make it. It’s like I’d be opening two stores at once.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Rationale posted:

if they’re selling it on purpose I’ve got to be picky.

Lmao

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Rationale posted:

Imagine actually making and selling doughnuts at all

Even just one doughnut, imagine it. Amazing to think we are still in the realm of the imagination, six months on.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

Leperflesh posted:

Electrician quoted 17k
I’d imagine hvac will be about 20 (less footage more equipment)
I’ll be shocked if the plumbing costs me 7500

I got an architect when I started hitting bureaucracy hurdles and he said to be ready to spend 200 on “something like your typical Starbucks or Panera.” And I was like drat that’s more than I thought here’s what I thought for vents pipes and wires and he was like “well, there are all sorts of different contractors out there.” And I told him which particular electrician I got the quote from and he was like “oh yeah no he’s good”

Then he only charged me $750 for his consultation because he was my youth wrestling coach and he wants me to succeed.

But ideally I can send him a floor plan and another $3500 or so to get me a set of prints that are released for construction and then I’ll do what I can and hire out what I can’t. That’s what’s going to determine the project cost is what the tab is when the inspector signs the certificate. I don’t think it’ll be 200k tho

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

Scientastic posted:

Imagine actually making and selling doughnuts at all

Even just one doughnut, imagine it. Amazing to think we are still in the realm of the imagination, six months on.

Fried and filled dough is specifically prohibited by Ohio cottage food law so you can take your criminal conspiracy elsewhere

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

Rationale posted:

criminal conspiracy

Never change, donut goon.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

litany of gulps posted:

You’re talking to a business visionary on par with Tom P. Baxter.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

hopefully this venture avoids any gross profit. you don’t want words like gross associated with your donuts

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
A dozen dozen is a gross

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Powerful Katrinka posted:

(Cake donuts are the ones made from cake-like batter and don't have yeast. I also recommend memorizing the difference between yeast dough and cake batter.)

Lol

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Rationale posted:

There’s a bakery in town that will occasionally be closed because their delivery didn’t make it. It’s like I’d be opening two stores at once.

:hmmyes:

Rationale posted:

Then he only charged me $750 for his consultation because he was my youth wrestling coach and he wants me to succeed.

Was he the one that gave you that backyard wrestling belt you showed us?

Rationale posted:

A dozen dozen is a gross

So is a booger flying into your food, what's the point? Will your donuts use boogers as glazing?

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Rationale posted:

Think I’m zeroed in on a concept

You can’t post someone else’s food and say I’m zerod in on a concept uih dumb motherfucjer!!!!!

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I got the tude now posted:

You can’t post someone else’s food and say I’m zerod in on a concept uih dumb motherfucjer!!!!!

He is zeroed in on a concept, you dumb motherfucker!!!!!

He's going to make stacks selling donuts out of his murder shack without somehow actually doing anything except spending money on secondhand equipment and bar stools and eventually at this rate he's going to be dancing on all of our graves and it's all your loving fault for mocking him when he had a dream!!!!!

Seriously, Rationale, you're thinking you've spent all this money on stuff and pros, you can't back now. There are a lot of ways to marke a living that don't involve being apart from your family from 4am-4pm seven days a week. Just read this, please: https://www.google.com/search?q=sunk+cost+fallacy+definition

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

it's OK he has the steady income of seven rented properties to endlessly fund this personal donut venture

that said,

Rationale posted:

Electrician quoted 17k
I’d imagine hvac will be about 20 (less footage more equipment)
I’ll be shocked if the plumbing costs me 7500

I got an architect when I started hitting bureaucracy hurdles and he said to be ready to spend 200 on “something like your typical Starbucks or Panera.” And I was like drat that’s more than I thought here’s what I thought for vents pipes and wires and he was like “well, there are all sorts of different contractors out there.” And I told him which particular electrician I got the quote from and he was like “oh yeah no he’s good”

But ideally I can send him a floor plan and another $3500 or so to get me a set of prints that are released for construction and then I’ll do what I can and hire out what I can’t. That’s what’s going to determine the project cost is what the tab is when the inspector signs the certificate. I don’t think it’ll be 200k tho

this is more work than it seemed you had done so good job, and also yeah even if you only spend $100k on your buildout you are gonna have to sell a couple hundred thousand donuts or something just to cover your startup costs lol this is why it's better to lease a space that is already set up as a restaurant and all you need is the kitchen buildout rather than starting with a disused shack on a gravel lot and trying to make that work

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
If he can get a functioning donut building for 100k that he doesn't have to borrow, that seems pretty good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Epitope posted:

If he can get a functioning donut building for 100k that he doesn't have to borrow, that seems pretty good?

In bumfuck Ohio

So he can make vegan donuts

Yep sounds good to me