Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Supplice lands on Early Access in four hours or so. The Early Access release consists of the first episode of five maps (probably pretty large ones if the demo was any indication), with the remaining five(!) episodes planned to drop in 2-3 month intervals until a final release scheduled for in about a year's time. The Early Access price will be $15, with a price increase of five bucks or less planned for the final release. Custom content support will be available right from the start, on account of being built with GZDoom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRtT28_HBPI

The Kins fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Apr 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Idle thoughts

We all know that modern FPS aren't like old school shooters. That's kinda the reason this thread exists, even, the fact there is a distinction. But I was thinking how it isn't like modern single player FPS aren't like 'boomer shooters' like Doom, it's more that at this point, the entire genre of single player FPS seems dying. How many "traditional" (single player, somewhat linear) AAA FPS or at least double-A have been released in the last four years? I can think of
-Metro Exodus (AAA) - 2019
-Doom Eternal (AAA) - 2020
-Shadow Warrior 3 (AA) - 2022
-the annual CoD (AAA) which you know, are like always, a succession of explosions, chases and chopper crashing making up a short campaign.
-Halo Infinite, but with the open world approach, I'm classifying it more like Far Cry series, a map centric, strongholds & activities FPS.

That's it? I'm discounting indie games because well, indie devs will make any game of any genre possible. I'm talking more of industry trends.

We know people still like FPS, given the popularity of mp games like CS, CoD, Apex Legends, R6 Siege, Hunt Showdown, etc, so it can't be people don't like it anymore.
We could say that people prefer online player over single player now, that change has been occurring for the last two decades already. But it seems to me that other single player games like Last of Us or God of War or Resident Evil 4 or Hogwarts Legacy or Elden Ring are successful, so again, it can't be that.

The only thing I can think of, it's how maybe people may prefer RPG games like Cyberpunk 2077, as now RPG games like it are also full fledged twitchy first person shooters. So they get their fix there.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I think that the genre has also matured, it has been over two decades now. So FPS' with a lot of shooting in them also have to do other things, like Uncharted or something. It's not 1998 anymore and there's not a lot left to say or do with a simple straightforward shooter, unless you really commit to the schtick. So stuff like Fashion Police Squad are indie, while modern day AAA Daikatanas aren't getting funding.

None of this is *bad*, mind you. FPS sensibilities have bloomed everywhere while still having space for vanilla ones, unlike say Adventure games or RTS's where you have to root around a bit to find something even distantly related.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
I think it's pretty simple when you think of the economics of it. AAA games are stupid expensive to make and FPSes in particular have an expectation of having high-end graphics and interactivity. Single player games give you a single major revenue stream at launch with a long tail of very very low sale volume. Multiplayer games that use the whole season/microtransaction model offer consistent ongoing revenue streams and modest ongoing dev costs (ie you're not starting over with code, assets, design etc).

Big companies are risk averse and multiplayer games with ongoing revenues are safer than single player games that could totally flop at launch. I think single player FPSes are a safer bet in the indie space because the market and costs are just totally different. Stuff like the recent Doom games are really an exception, and it's a bit surprising that the risk they took paid off (being primarily focused on SP). But I think they knew the market they were shooting for and calibrated appropriately.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Turin Turambar posted:

Idle thoughts

We all know that modern FPS aren't like old school shooters. That's kinda the reason this thread exists, even, the fact there is a distinction. But I was thinking how it isn't like modern single player FPS aren't like 'boomer shooters' like Doom, it's more that at this point, the entire genre of single player FPS seems dying. How many "traditional" (single player, somewhat linear) AAA FPS or at least double-A have been released in the last four years? I can think of
-Metro Exodus (AAA) - 2019
-Doom Eternal (AAA) - 2020
-Shadow Warrior 3 (AA) - 2022
-the annual CoD (AAA) which you know, are like always, a succession of explosions, chases and chopper crashing making up a short campaign.
-Halo Infinite, but with the open world approach, I'm classifying it more like Far Cry series, a map centric, strongholds & activities FPS.

That's it? I'm discounting indie games because well, indie devs will make any game of any genre possible. I'm talking more of industry trends.

We know people still like FPS, given the popularity of mp games like CS, CoD, Apex Legends, R6 Siege, Hunt Showdown, etc, so it can't be people don't like it anymore.
We could say that people prefer online player over single player now, that change has been occurring for the last two decades already. But it seems to me that other single player games like Last of Us or God of War or Resident Evil 4 or Hogwarts Legacy or Elden Ring are successful, so again, it can't be that.

The only thing I can think of, it's how maybe people may prefer RPG games like Cyberpunk 2077, as now RPG games like it are also full fledged twitchy first person shooters. So they get their fix there.

Atomic Heart has at least two As, I'd argue. You can add that one to your list.

I think it's a lot of things, including that singleplayer-only shooters or singleplayer-mostly shooters have not been super common since 2000, even Quake and Half Life have such enduring legacy because of their multiplayer. The game development cycle has gotten so long that a AAA team is delivering a game every 4-6 years, so your 4 year window might not even include a single release from a given studio.

Non-CoD shooters that used to offer a singleplayer campaign dropped it. I'm looking at Battlefield here, BF1 had a campaign that checked all the boxes, and even Battlefield 5 was still doing it. The Medal of Honor series died just because the space is so crowded by CoD and Battlefield. The singleplayer resurgence has been mostly RPGs or games with heavy RPG elements, which get messy in multiplayer. Traditional shooters get by without that. I also think that it's just hard to make a shooter as long as the kind of single-player games that are successful now. God of War: Ragnarok is easily a 25 hour game, even The Last of Us 2 is a 20 hour slog. I don't think that it's possible to make shooters with modern production values that long for a reasonable budget, just because of how fast traditional shooters play.

Also, some of the games you dismissed are absolutely single-player shooters, just without the completely linear level design. Far Cry shooting feels outstanding and always has, except for Far Cry 1 which was pretty wooden. Halo Infinite may have had some problems but the shooting wasn't one of them. Hell, people keep returning to the Destiny 2 pain box specifically because the moment to moment gameplay feels incredible, it's a perfectly tuned console shooter. There's also RPG-Shooters like Borderlands that feel like rear end, though. Borderlands 3 came out in your 4 year window!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

hrot appears to be almost finished

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Twerk from Home posted:

Atomic Heart has at least two As, I'd argue. You can add that one to your list.

Oh yeah, I forgot that one!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Weedle posted:

hrot appears to be almost finished

The dev mentioned in the previous update that the full game will probably be out either May 21st or June 22nd, depending on how hard he pushes himself.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Turin Turambar posted:

i have been playing a lot of modern warfare ii lately and i powered through the single-player for its unlocks. i must say that was one of the worst fps campaigns i have played in a long time. i hesitate to even call it that. while technically you do shoot people from a first-person perspective it has basically none of what i play single player fpses for. there's no puzzles, no player choice, no situation in which you're given a set of tools and presented a challenge that it's up to you to figure out how to overcome. my least favorite part was probably a sniper mission where you mouse over guys' thermal signatures and a guy tells you how to aim your rifle according to target distance by lining up their heads with one of several notches on your sniper scope. that's it. you don't move until told to and you don't make any decisions about what to do. it felt like i was playing one of those mouse usage training programs from an '80s macintosh but with a bonus of making me think about how much of your humanity you have to kill from yourself in order to do this job irl. extreme bummer and not fun!!

thread-relevant content --> call of duty 1 was better

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

shoeberto posted:

Stuff like the recent Doom games are really an exception, and it's a bit surprising that the risk they took paid off (being primarily focused on SP). But I think they knew the market they were shooting for and calibrated appropriately.

Doom 2016 heavily focussed on the multiplayer both in marketing and in the way that all the DLC they released was for the MP mode. It's just that no one played it.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

ookiimarukochan posted:

Doom 2016 heavily focussed on the multiplayer both in marketing and in the way that all the DLC they released was for the MP mode. It's just that no one played it.

Yeah, I'll never forget the seismic shift in Doom 2016's pre-release hype when they finally showed a video of the single-player mode, as some scraps that they threw at some Nvidia thing.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Trepang2 has been (re-)dated to put the fear into faceless soldiers everywhere on June 21.

https://twitter.com/TrepangStudios/status/1643962028355117057

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

The Kins posted:

(probably pretty large ones if the demo was any indication)

It's Mechadon, right? Gonna be huge.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

ookiimarukochan posted:

Tragic because I would have loved SP DLC for 2016, particularly in hindsight since eternal ended up being so different.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Escape Goat posted:

Tragic because I would have loved SP DLC for 2016, particularly in hindsight since eternal ended up being so different.

I think history is going to prove Doom 2016 to be lightening in a bottle. Or at least that's how I view it.

I don't expect to get, or at least like, a AAA mainstream shooter like it again.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I did not finish Doom 2016, but I did finish the Doom 4 mod for Doom 2.

Edit: Wait no I think I did go back and finish Doom 4, but after MS bought bethesda

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Weedle posted:

i have been playing a lot of modern warfare ii lately and i powered through the single-player for its unlocks. i must say that was one of the worst fps campaigns i have played in a long time. i hesitate to even call it that. while technically you do shoot people from a first-person perspective it has basically none of what i play single player fpses for. there's no puzzles, no player choice, no situation in which you're given a set of tools and presented a challenge that it's up to you to figure out how to overcome. my least favorite part was probably a sniper mission where you mouse over guys' thermal signatures and a guy tells you how to aim your rifle according to target distance by lining up their heads with one of several notches on your sniper scope. that's it. you don't move until told to and you don't make any decisions about what to do. it felt like i was playing one of those mouse usage training programs from an '80s macintosh but with a bonus of making me think about how much of your humanity you have to kill from yourself in order to do this job irl. extreme bummer and not fun!!

thread-relevant content --> call of duty 1 was better

honestly yeah, i played mw2019 and mw2 back to back and the quality drop off between the two campaigns was pretty noticable. and that level in particular was obviously a call back to the original modern warfare's "all guilied up" mission but that one was actually, ya know, fun

site fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 6, 2023

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I did call it out in another thread a little while ago, but yeah, the linear FPS is pretty much on life support, while the linear TPS is going strong, even if a lot of them are remakes such as the Resident Evil games and Dead Space. I do wonder if we'll see a resurgence now that it feels (not that SA/twitter reflect reality) like people are getting fed up of the EVERY GAME MUST BE OPEN WORLD thing.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The advantage to actual boomer shooters using mostly 90s tech is that they are 1/200th as expensive to produce as a midbudget modern game. Like imagine producing entire games using a tweaked Starcraft map editor.

So any type of shooter can survive in that environment.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Supplice early access just launched and if you own Hedon, Blood West or a couple of other indie retro FPSes, you get a further discount.

Was going to hold off on getting it since it'll be in EA until mid-2024 but at $10 I can't really say no.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Another Early Access release: Hyperviolent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU1Avb5m1kc

I remember the demo being interesting and tough, but the enemy sprites are too lo-fi and blurry, especially compared to the weapon ones.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 6, 2023

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Supplice keeps slipping off my radar because it doesn't sound like an FPS title. It sounds like a mouse-based management sim.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

The Kins posted:

Supplice lands on Early Access in four hours or so. The Early Access release consists of the first episode of five maps (probably pretty large ones if the demo was any indication), with the remaining five(!) episodes planned to drop in 2-3 month intervals until a final release scheduled for in about a year's time. The Early Access price will be $15, with a price increase of five bucks or less planned for the final release. Custom content support will be available right from the start, on account of being built with GZDoom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRtT28_HBPI

a small but satisfying thing about buying boomer shooters is instead of seeing a 70gb download it's only 300mb

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Supplice early access just launched and if you own Hedon, Blood West or a couple of other indie retro FPSes, you get a further discount.

Was going to hold off on getting it since it'll be in EA until mid-2024 but at $10 I can't really say no.

How do you get this discount? Can't seem to get it to trigger or see any reference to it anywhere

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
my store page had a 15% discount but it didn't say why (i'm assuming it's because i have hedon)

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

site posted:

my store page had a 15% discount but it didn't say why (i'm assuming it's because i have hedon)

Yeah, I've got the standard 'introductory offer' but that's pretty boilerplate for any new release. It would say if it was because of my Hedon or Blood West library items

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

How do you get this discount? Can't seem to get it to trigger or see any reference to it anywhere
in the latest news article on the store page, there's a link to some bundles, one of which is a Hedon/Supplice bundle, which drops the price down to $10-ish (not sure why the bundles aren't listed on the store page itself)

with Hyperviolent it looks like the Descent part of the game isn't in the Early Access portion so I will wait on that one...

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Too many enemies, artificial difficulty

(A Supplice Steam user review)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I would not be surprised if Supplice gets significant backlash from a lot of boomer shooter fans who are used to “Quake but with something extra” and have no idea of the precision and craft involved in “the best of the Doom community makes a commercial TC.”

It’s going to be the exact opposite of classic Doom fans complaining about Doom Eternal.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Ngl I bought it immediately based on nothing but "doom game with Black woman protagonist" because I want to see shitheads mad that such a thing could sell

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Weedle posted:

i have been playing a lot of modern warfare ii lately and i powered through the single-player for its unlocks. i must say that was one of the worst fps campaigns i have played in a long time. i hesitate to even call it that.

I really liked the MW 2019 campaign. Wretched politics aside it had a fantastic sense of pacing and actual character shading. Cold War is bonkers in the best way possible; there are very faint echoes of Raven Software's lunacy here and there. There's this rad stealth level through East Germany Berlin tha'll stick with me for a while.

Vanguard is atrocious for a bunch of reasons large and small. And I agree that Modern Warfare 2 is pitifully confused about why someone wants to play a Call of Duty campaign.

I honestly bounced off it hard enough that I gave up multiple times. Eventually slogged through it because I really dig "Knockout" in multiplayer. Sill booted up Prodeus a bunch as a palette cleanser though.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

The bundles are listed in this Steam post: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1693280/view/3727332756620130921?l=english

Add one to your cart when you have the other game in the bundle already and you'll get a further discount to the price of Supplice (or at least, I did here in Europe).

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
they swindled me out of two extra dollars I'm getting a refund

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

The 7th Guest posted:

in the latest news article on the store page, there's a link to some bundles, one of which is a Hedon/Supplice bundle, which drops the price down to $10-ish (not sure why the bundles aren't listed on the store page itself)

with Hyperviolent it looks like the Descent part of the game isn't in the Early Access portion so I will wait on that one...

Lemon-Lime posted:

The bundles are listed in this Steam post: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1693280/view/3727332756620130921?l=english

Add one to your cart when you have the other game in the bundle already and you'll get a further discount to the price of Supplice (or at least, I did here in Europe).

Thanks - weird that the bundles don't show up on the main page.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

It's Mechadon, right? Gonna be huge.

About 35~40 minutes for most of them.

Has anyone found a synapse terminal in map 1? I got one on every other map :(

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

site posted:

a small but satisfying thing about buying boomer shooters is instead of seeing a 70gb download it's only 300mb

No joke, I love having games with enough content and not being huge. I know storage is cheap nowadays, downloads are quick but since I use Steam mostly for indie games, I have shitloads installed for the size of Monster Hunter World for example.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Scratch me up as another who gets a kick out of small install sizes.

Big fan of games that feel like they should be pretty hefty but come in nice and light. Dark Souls being just 6 gig? Sign me the gently caress up.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

The Kins posted:

Trepang2 has been (re-)dated to put the fear into faceless soldiers everywhere on June 21.

https://twitter.com/TrepangStudios/status/1643962028355117057

I guess that's the title they're going with, huh? Unless it was always not a working title. The project's been around so long that's the only name people know.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Grimthwacker posted:

I guess that's the title they're going with, huh? Unless it was always not a working title. The project's been around so long that's the only name people know.

It looks fun and we're on the same page as a dev who thought Supplice was a good name, soooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Grimthwacker posted:

It's a placeholder name the lead dev used for his first game jam but it seems he's really committed to use it as a name for everything

The demo was loving great though, I don't care how bad the name is