Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
He's stealing bread from a bodega, he must be stopped at all costs

I think Miguel just needs a snickers and a hug, he's too high strung from policing the multiverse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

TwoPair posted:

I forget it if it's here or another thread but I feel like there really should've been a solo Miles movie before going back to the multiverse shenanigans.

I actually think the first movie had a surprising amount of Miles story for having such a large cast. Now I would've loved more but I think they did a lot within the confines of the first movie.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
James Gunn says nothing is actually being planned and any potential version of this would be many years down the road, but he has had discussions about a Marvel vs. DC crossover movie.

quote:

James Gunn Talks A Potential Marvel / DC Crossover: ‘I’d Be Lying To Say We Haven’t Discussed It’ – Exclusive

Multiverses are all the rage at the moment. While the MCU is slap-bang in the middle of its Multiverse Saga, the universe-hopping Everything Everywhere All At Once recently swept the Oscars, and the DC Universe is about to explore all kinds of alternate realities in The Flash this summer (after delivering a version of ‘Crisis On Infinite Earths’ on the small screen). But while the general idea of the Multiverse is that anything is possible, that tends to come with caveats: it’s rare for distinct multiverses to crash together.

But, if comic fans have been dreaming of a next-level crossover – with Marvel’s Avengers and assorted heroes crossing over with DC Comics’ legendary slate of the Justice League – there’s one man who might actually be able to make that happen: James Gunn. For a decade he’s been deeply entrenched in the MCU, and once Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 3 hits cinemas he’s moving over to DC to head up their film operations. Could he be the key to Marvel and DC actually sharing their biggest toys on the big screen? “I’m certain that’s more likely now that I’m in charge [at DC],” he tells Empire, in the new Guardians Vol. 3 issue. “Who knows?” Just don’t expect anything on that front in the immediate future. “That’s many years away, though,” he says. “I think we have to establish what we’re doing [at DC] first. I would be lying to say that we haven’t discussed it. But all discussions have been very, very light and fun.”

Before his new gig begins, Guardians Vol. 3 will mark the end of this line-up of the cosmic crew, and Gunn's swan-song in the MCU itself. And while not every member of the Guardians is expected to make it to the end credits of Vol. 3, Gunn isn’t against any of them appearing in future projects once his Marvel days are behind him. “It would absolutely not be disloyal of them to me to continue on in the Marvel Universe,” he says. “I would love to see any characters that remain [at the end of the film] get solo movies, or join the Avengers, or a new version of the Guardians or whatever.” Now… how about Drax flicking Zarg Nuts at Batman? We’ll file that under, ‘Probably not, but never say never…’

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/james-gunn-talks-potential-marvel-dc-crossover-exclusive/

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Amalgam Comics confirmed

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Fuckin do it James let's go

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Fortnite: The Movie

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Lobok posted:

:bisonyes:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Creatives are almost always in favor of sharing the toyboxes. And I think that's great. Some of my favorite events have been the crossover comic stories, especially the short ones. It's always management and lawyers that are holdouts when it comes to crossovers. Because it's all about the money. How much does each side put up, and how much does each side take away. In the comics that should be pretty easy. Make it 50/50. From what I remember, those crossover stories almost always happened in pairs. Marvel writes, illustrates and publishes the Daredevil/Batman crossover book, and DC writes, illustrates and publishes the Batman/Daredevil book. I don't remember if they split the profits evenly, or of Marvel gets the profits from the book they did and DC gets the profits from the book they did. Last I checked, there isn't enough agreement between the two companies to reprint any of the old crossover stuff, because they can't agree on how to split the profits. Also, IIRC, it's not available digitally either, for the same reason, right?

But with movies, and specifically Spiderman, now it's way messier. Maybe including Hulk would fall under the "Team-up" rule so Universal has no say, but that could be another view to contend with. So instead of 2 people hashing out money and screen time, you'd have at least 3.

These are Billion dollar movies, in theory. And some days it feels like these companies would rather make $0 releasing no movie, then split $2B making one movie. And I could kind of see it from the Marvel Disney side. At best, the DC movie lineup is an untested lump of potential that will shine like diamonds under the singular vision of someone in charge, with a real plan. At worst, it is a gallery of lousy movies with a steep decline of returns on investment. And right now, a crossover would help DC way more than Disney.

Maybe in a few years when DC (hopefully) is able to get it's main roster under control, they would be a more appealing to do business like this with. But on the flip side, actor wise, who's going to be sticking around at Marvel?

I'd also like to add that, personally, I don't want the movies to cross over, certainly not in one big Gamemaster Anthony story. The plots of the old crossovers are great because it's usually "Oh, hey, I know you, [DAREDEVIL]. You work out of [Hell's Kitchen]." "And you're [BATMAN] from [Gotham], a city just over there, where I never bothered to look at or mention until now." That's fun, because then the audience fills in the blanks, and you don't have to explain these heroes to each other. Yeah, sure, they still throw hands, because that's what you do, but you keep it short. As opposed to the Amalgam invent two super beings that want to smash their universes together non-plot.

Start smaller, and do one on one crossovers. Do Batman/Daredevil, but keep it relatively small. No Joker, no Kingpin. Maybe Ra's and The Hand. Superman/Hulk with Mongol on War World and some nameless gladiators/cannon fodder.

If you were going to do it at all I'd say 1) get the heavy hitters established on both sides. If we're going with the main 5 from JL, we need the regular main Avengers. And if you make it elseworlds, do the same thing on the Marvel side. For this crossover, it's Bruce Wayne Batman meets Steve Rogers Captain America.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Goku better show up and Spirit Bomb all of them into atoms

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Lobok posted:

Are you talking about Ready Player One, or Space Jam 2?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean if Marvel/DC do films together I doubt they have the self control to do small things that might flop. They'd want to do the big thing. But the problem is there really isn't a big thing right now. Like you could do Iron Man, Cap, and Thor vs Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman but most of those people aren't currently employed or active in their respective worlds. You gotta build up something to cross over. Of course if you do wanna do that you gotta do it quick before everyone gets too old to make it worthwhile.

I still say you just cast Cavill, Affleck, and Gadot as the Squadron Supreme. If Affleck won't do it get Patrick Wilson.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
If they could just wait until I track down the last few Amalgam issues I need before the prices spike because Thorion and Speed Demon are in movies now.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jamesman posted:

There's also the LEGO Movie or Wreck-it Ralph but I picked Fortnite because in everything else the brands and IP and what not are only ever side characters, cameos, extras, or background detail. In Fortnite it actually is Goku vs Walter White as the main characters.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Lobok posted:

There's also the LEGO Movie or Wreck-it Ralph but I picked Fortnite because in everything else the brands and IP and what not are only ever side characters, cameos, extras, or background detail. In Fortnite it actually is Goku vs Walter White as the main characters.

That Fortnite ad where Eren Jaeger is just there trips me out every time.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Lobok posted:

And they do the Gangnam Style dance while watching videos of Martin Luther King Jr.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Lobok posted:

Walter white isn't in fortnite.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

Yet

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Walter would easily win the fight by telling Goku meth would make him fight better

Knight2m
Jul 26, 2002

Touchdown Steelers

Jamesman posted:

https://youtu.be/-WlNIQSXRlM

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

site posted:

Walter would easily win the fight by telling Goku meth would make him fight better

*Goku hears that overcoming meth addiction is extremely hard to do, starts getting excited*
"Meth addiction, huh? Sounds like a really strong guy..."

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mr Hootington posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU4XpcdIXrM

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

CzarChasm posted:

Creatives are almost always in favor of sharing the toyboxes. And I think that's great. Some of my favorite events have been the crossover comic stories, especially the short ones. It's always management and lawyers that are holdouts when it comes to crossovers.

Yeah, it was crossovers that got me into comics, so I would love to see more but when the bigger companies take an interest in handling the comics, it gets so much harder to do.

I at least wish they could come to an agreement to reprint the DC/Marvel Crossover Classics collections, but I think I gotta keep checking eBay.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My hot take is that every Marvel/DC crossover I read kind of sucked. I don’t even remember what Amalgam was about except tricking me into buying a bunch of other random comics that would never continue.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
that's like every marvel book

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

X-Men/Teen Titans is fantastic. That's how all crossovers should be.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Amalgam was mostly dumb but fun, but JLA/Avengers legit kicks rear end.

It would be really, really funny if Gunn got Cavill back (again) but put him in the Avengers

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean I have no problem with stupid fun of mashing toys together. I’m just saying.

Codependent Poster posted:

I was trying to remember who the X Men crossed over with because yeah that’s the one I remember actually liking. But it’s been awhile.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Codependent Poster posted:

Darkseid vs. Galactus: The Hunger is great.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I liked Superman/Fantastic Four by Dan Jurgens!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Lobok posted:

You don't remember Diego Doyle? Siobhan Juan? Salvador O'Sullivan? Jim Jiménez?

Bernardo O'Higgins.

Wait, poo poo.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

Joker's reformation in Harley Quinn has nothing to do with the criminal justice system. He had amnesia and got married and when he got his memory back decided his wife wouldn't like it if he kept killing people. Running for and becoming mayor was entirely to spite the PTA board member who stole his parking spot one time.

Yeah I'm honestly kinda amazed at how well this show and the Injustice* comics manage to refresh these characters in remarkable ways

what other loving DC comic has batman literally snapping jokers neck and immediately turning himself in GPD?...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

Yeah I'm honestly kinda amazed at how well this show and the Injustice* comics manage to refresh these characters in remarkable ways

what other loving DC comic has batman literally snapping jokers neck and immediately turning himself in GPD?...

...wait

Isn't the whole premise of Injustice that Superman killed Joker and it starts his downward spiral?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

It was Injustice. I think it's one of the Annuals or something but Batman manages to get a Black Mercy onto Superman and he imagines that as an alternate way to how things went down (obviously in the dream Bats snaps his neck after they stop Joker's plan before Lois dies)

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
https://twitter.com/variety/status/1644173265689014274?s=46&t=2Vl5mZOAuXyv2LbW1v-6cQ

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

“Eight ribs broken in 14 places. Right knee, right ankle broken, left leg tibia broken, left ankle broken, right clavicle broken, right shoulder broken. Face, eye socket, jaw, mandible broken. Lung collapsed. Pierced from the rib bone, your liver — which sounds terrifying.”

:stare:

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Sentinel Red posted:

“Eight ribs broken in 14 places. Right knee, right ankle broken, left leg tibia broken, left ankle broken, right clavicle broken, right shoulder broken. Face, eye socket, jaw, mandible broken. Lung collapsed. Pierced from the rib bone, your liver — which sounds terrifying.”

:stare:

Recalling his injuries, Renner said he could “see my eye with my other eye.”

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Joe Fisto posted:

oh god, eww

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Joe Fisto posted:

That's horrifying but my inner 8-year-old is going "cooool" also

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I remember when the news first came out someone in this thread I think immediately said something along the lines of "yeah he's dead" and drat, reading that list I understand now, that would be a death sentence for anyone who didn't have immediate treatment, and even then your odds of survival aren't great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
There's still half a good Renner in there. You can just use CGI to make up the rest.