Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Multiple usenet providers in tandem won’t even saturate 1Gbps these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Some of the Microsoft CDNs and Steam can, but it's such a limited use case it's not worth nearly a grand in extra hardware, for me.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I have 1gig but I can get 3gig for an extra $5 a month. I’m really contemplating it. I saw it was available then the next day somebody finally figured out how to bypass the home hub 4000, so it was meant to be.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
What's the new bypass? You still have to use the GPON module in the HH4K right?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Shumagorath posted:

Multiple usenet providers in tandem won’t even saturate 1Gbps these days.

Huh? I routinely cap out on 1Gbps with my Usenet provider.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

infernal machines posted:

What's the new bypass? You still have to use the GPON module in the HH4K right?

The gpon is soldered on. You buy this thing Azores 1x 10GbE 1x 2.5GbE Intel Based XGSPON ONT and telnet in to configure it. They are currently figuring out how to get vlan 36 working for iptv and phone. There is a discord but I don't know how you join it now. I might hold out until they figure out an sfp solution.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Huh, so I guess they're just cloning the config from the HomeHub ONT to that thing. Cool.

There was some talk a while back about custom ordered SFP+ GPON modules where you clone the serial number from the one in the Home Hub, but it seemed like a lot of hassle.

That poo poo all used to be on the dslreports.com forums, but I guess things have moved on.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Yes I got the discord link off dslreports along time ago, I'm surprised it hasn't been posted on there, it's been a week.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

For a couple months now. I was looking at the costs for all the other gear I'd need to get and I couldn't justify it, given that I can barely ever saturate my 1Gbps connection now.
Yeah I have no need for it, I just saw it today and was amazed. I got the Gigabit in 2017 and never would've expected THAT much of an increase in available bandwidth in 6 years.

Also Rogers' offerings these days I utterly pathetic. You get 1500/50 for $125, or 10/1 for $50. At least Teksavvy still has a range of speeds available.

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 6, 2023

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Perplx posted:

I have 1gig but I can get 3gig for an extra $5 a month. I’m really contemplating it. I saw it was available then the next day somebody finally figured out how to bypass the home hub 4000, so it was meant to be.

I have 3gbps and I bypass the home hub 4000 by installing a 10GB card on my gateway, connecting it to the 10GB port on the home hub and just ppoe dialing. Of course, I bought a switch with 2 10GB SFP+ ports, the network card has 2 ports as well so I can NAT and it works just fine. I heard people messing around with VLANs, but I didn't and it still just works.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

There's still some minor performance loss with PPPoE passthrough. Apparently the new hotness is having a 3rd party ONT/GPON device that completely replaces the HomeHub.

Unrelated, gently caress Bell. I facilitated getting internet services set up for a client, Bell put something like my name and my phone number on the account, because they can't quite grasp the idea of the technical contact being different from the billing contact, and now I'm getting collections calls.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Apr 6, 2023

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

There's still some minor performance loss with PPPoE passthrough. Apparently the new hotness is having a 3rd party ONT/GPON device that completely replaces the HomeHub.

I don't see any performance loss with PPPoE. I get 3210.72 Mbps with a speed test. And no vlan tagging either.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

VLAN tagging is only necessary if you're connecting directly to the ONT without a Bell modem. Since the HomeHub 4000 is the ONT as well as the Bell modem, it handles the VLAN tagging. With the 2000 you had a separate physical ONT box connected with ethernet, and with the 3000 the ONT was a Huawei GPON SFP module, in both cases you needed to set VLAN 35 to dial the PPPoE session from your own gear unless you passed through the HomeHub.

IDK about the PPPoE passthrough performance on the 4000, but the older 3000 and 2000 models had performance impacts with PPPoE passthrough.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
The hh4000 is probably fine, but if you are a big nerd it's a black box of questional quality that's redundant because you rolled your own router and wifi. Also it has a hidden ssid that you can't disable from the gui, you have to run a script and it doesn't persist on reboot.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah, some of it is people not wanting Bell having TR-069 access to their internal networks or whatever.

That and the HomeHub firmware has had stability issues for generations, so just not trusting this latest gen to be any better makes sense

e: Oh wow, it was 10 years ago this month I found the bridge mode settings for the old Sagem 2864 VDSL2 modems.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Apr 6, 2023

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

VLAN tagging is only necessary if you're connecting directly to the ONT without a Bell modem. Since the HomeHub 4000 is the ONT as well as the Bell modem, it handles the VLAN tagging. With the 2000 you had a separate physical ONT box connected with ethernet, and with the 3000 the ONT was a Huawei GPON SFP module, in both cases you needed to set VLAN 35 to dial the PPPoE session from your own gear unless you passed through the HomeHub.

IDK about the PPPoE passthrough performance on the 4000, but the older 3000 and 2000 models had performance impacts with PPPoE passthrough.

Before this I had the earlier HomeHub (3000?) for 1Gbps internet, and it worked just as it does now. No vlan, no (detectable) performance loss. I saw reports of this on the internet but it wasn't my experience.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Probably HH3K yeah

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Perplx posted:

The gpon is soldered on. You buy this thing Azores 1x 10GbE 1x 2.5GbE Intel Based XGSPON ONT and telnet in to configure it. They are currently figuring out how to get vlan 36 working for iptv and phone. There is a discord but I don't know how you join it now. I might hold out until they figure out an sfp solution.
Why do this when you can double-NAT and DMZ anything that isn’t an IPTV or phone?

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
It's not really necessary, it's just for people that don't want to run any bell hardware just because they can. When you have bunch of enterprise gear the hh4000 is the weakest point of the whole setup.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Bell also offers 8gbps in my area. Shortly after I signed up to the 1.5gpbs plan I was able to switch to 3gbps for $5 less so I jumped on it. My pc only has a 2.5gbps nic though.

^Behold, the only true use of 3gbps.

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011

Perplx posted:

Thanks for this. I was able to find this reddit thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ATT/comments/yqzvva/fiber_2gb5gb_residential_gateway_bypass/

which references this google doc:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/13gucfDOf8X9ptkj5BOg12V0xcqqDZDnvROJpW5CIpJ4/edit?usp=sharing

which has some (hopefully) good information. It's not specifically about the Bell HH4K (it's more USA focused) but it looks like a good start.

I don't currently have Bell fibre but I might order one of those Azores ONTs and the 8Gbps package and experiment with it later this summer. If I do I'll try to remember to post a trip report here but it wouldn't be until July at least.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Looks like start is sending out emails about the buyout from Telus. Seems I can look forward to personalized suggestions on how to save by bundling products I don't have or need.

For example the I could save 240$ with Koodo. NEW ACTIVATIONS ONLY. Well thanks for nothing I guess.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
So when is the Bellus merger going to happen? 2026?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
After Rogers acquires the CRTC publicly, after decades of running it implicitly

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Wish I could firebomb the MTS CEO's houses - im loving livid.

Time to call when I get home as I had forgotten last month and the price jumped up again. None of these prices line up (from what I can see) with their rate hike back in January.
https://www.bellmts.ca/support/service-bulletins/changes-to-bell-mts-business-service-rates
March

April

Internet seems right this month but TV is wrong.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I feel ya. Sounds like Telus with their regular price increases. Because, you know, inflation, canadian dollar, commodity prices, phase of the moon, etc.

Personally, I ditched TV years ago and don't miss it one bit. But I understand that's not realistic for everyone.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

They couldn't do anything to get me on a new promo. I swear Shaw used to (prob not anymore with those Rogers fucks). I am going to call today and cancel cable. Valley Fiber putting lines in this summer and Ill go over to them.

The best their loving "LOYALTY" department could do was me paying $159+taxes for the same thing (not even upgraded TV which they offer on the same package I got now). So I'll go month to month with just internet until it's time to cancel.

gently caress the approval of selling MTS to Bell. gently caress.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Thank you for cancelling your live cable television subscription before 2024. Every little bit helps get us closer to an awkward future where entertainment and sports are delivered via blueish fuzzy table top holigrams.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Speaking of the future, has Starlink dropped their prices? Received this email.

Prices $120/month or $90 for "high availability locations"

https://api.starlink.com/public-files/Starlink%20Service%20Plans.pdf

quote:

Starlink users typically see download speeds between 25 and 220 Mbps, with most users seeing speeds over 100 Mbps, and upload speeds between 5 and 20 Mbps. Performance varies based on location, time of day and the
priority associated with your service plan. Latency ranges between 25 and 50ms in most regions on land

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Not for me (near Sudbury), still a blistering 158$ after tax.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Lot of people are upset who spent $900 up front for equipment and now they are offering it for 199 after being 349 I believe for a while

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
My Bell HH3K started dropping connections every once in a while, maybe lasting 2-3 minutes.

Couple times it went down for a couple hours, it always came back. Tuesday afternoon it dropped for a couple hours, and after calling Bell, they said "error 2000" means that the modem is broken and needs replacing. Internet came back after a couple hours.

And true to their word, it dropped its connection noon yesterday and hasn't come back lol.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

If you can get something with an SFP+ port you can just pull the GPON module and use your own router. I've been using a Mikrotik for years and it's rock solid.

The HomeHubs suck out loud, but you don't have to use them, mostly.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The big fun to be had with a hh3k is when the tech comes to replace it with a “new” one and tries to scramble out the door like a threatened iguana as soon as they get a single successful minute-long ping some 29 minutes after hooking the box up

“Welllookslikeitsworkingfinebyeeee”

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

If you can get something with an SFP+ port you can just pull the GPON module and use your own router. I've been using a Mikrotik for years and it's rock solid.

Can you explain a little more about this? I'm not holding my breath for fibre in my area but I sure hope it does come soon and I'll want to continue to use my own setup, or upgrade to something besides the dubious homehub

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Less Fat Luke posted:

Not for me (near Sudbury), still a blistering 158$ after tax.

I qualify for the hardware deal @ $199 but monthly $140 (+tax obv)

If I were rural, I'd be all over it tbh.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Bell called me back and the lady offered me $129/mo for what I have now. Which I believe includes taxes - so yay me, but gently caress Bell. People shouldn't have to do this.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

Bell called me back and the lady offered me $129/mo for what I have now. Which I believe includes taxes - so yay me, but gently caress Bell. People shouldn't have to do this.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware/Software Crap > Canadian internet access: People shouldn't have to do this.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I wish shaw would give me free disney+ but I think I'd have to phone to re-up the contract only a year in and I want to switch to telus fibre anyway. sigh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Meh, they're shipping me another modem for $FREE, which works for me lol. Never had a problem with the HH3K before these recent glitches, so idk