Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

StumblyWumbly posted:

That's interesting, I thought Marvel had been outselling DC for a while, but I guess I haven't paid attention to that in years.
I think Scholastic has been leading by a huge margin for a while now, I remember Raina Telgermeier was top of the heap for a while. Are the scholastic books in color or on good stock? They're more pages at a lower price than Comics by a wide margin.

Scholastic books are in color and on good paper! And, yeah, keep in mind that this isn’t including the direct market, just book stores.

Telgermeier hasn’t come out with a new book in a couple years so that’s slowed her sales down but she’s still in the top ten of creators by sales.

Jordan7hm posted:

The direct market is a big portion of the comic sale market in NA, so that’s missing a big piece of the pie. In 2020 it was something like 60% of the more traditional book market. Even if that’s gone down, it’s a huge number for Marvel and DC in particular.

I admit I’m a bit ignorant here; does the direct market include trade paperbacks or is it just single issues?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I think it includes trades, but this is from dim memory of comic shops with trades only having one big delivery in a week.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It includes trades. Depending on the store, that could be a very big chunk of sales.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
When Elon bought Twitter I wiped my tweets, set the thing up with links to forward to other sites, and left the account parked with notifications to be sent to a secondary email box in case someone I needed to hear from tried to get in touch there.

Today I got this alert and instantly shivered.

Apparently at some point the site broke in a way that it undeleted retweets. That's neat.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
lmao sorry you gotta totally delete your account now

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

secretly best girl posted:

When Elon bought Twitter I wiped my tweets, set the thing up with links to forward to other sites, and left the account parked with notifications to be sent to a secondary email box in case someone I needed to hear from tried to get in touch there.

Today I got this alert and instantly shivered.

Apparently at some point the site broke in a way that it undeleted retweets. That's neat.

Lol I wonder what those tweets were.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 7, 2023

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Found a copy of Ragman #1 (1976-1977). I'm excited about it.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I keep forgetting what a douchebag Rob Liefeld is. I started watching a recent Cartoonist Kayfabe with him as a guest and he almost immediately starts making GBS threads on the New Mutants' prior to his run on the book, the Fall of the Mutants storyline in particular.

Starts around 9:28 or so if you're interested https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQLA78FFMuU&t=565s

ymmv regarding his talent versus Blevins and Louise Simonson but his whole attitude here is off putting to me

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/neilhimself/status/1644437427828715529?s=20

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

That sucks. I've only read her DOOM patrol and that was good.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/bader_diedrich/status/1645123513022578688
I'm sad now.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Al Jaffee has passed away.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Mr Hootington posted:

Al Jaffee has passed away.

Sad news. Those fold outs were great, his name will always be synonymous with MAD.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I think this leaves Sergio Aragones as the last of the classic MAD crew. He wins the tontine and gets to keep The Lighter Side Of...

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

This took so much loving effort to find, I'm so pumped I finally got it:

I've also got a copy of Howard Chaykin's American Flagg I am very excited about en route. It's been a good week for me bookwise

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Frog Act posted:

I've also got a copy of Howard Chaykin's American Flagg I am very excited about en route. It's been a good week for me bookwise

I got this digitally and just couldn't read it. His artwork just does not work for me and I can't read anything drawn by him. :smith:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Nemesis the Warlock owns so much

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Uthor posted:

I got this digitally and just couldn't read it. His artwork just does not work for me and I can't read anything drawn by him. :smith:

Interesting, that's the first time I've heard that about Chaykin - in my experience he's been universally praised as a pointed satire of the Reagan era and kind of a classic of politically incisive but still intelligent and amusing comic art, but I haven't actually read anything by him. I started it on readcomiconline and enjoyed it enough I wanted to read it IRL though and I can see where you're coming from taking a look at it again. Hopefully I won't have the same reaction, though I recently picked up the Tank Girl collection and felt the same way you did about Chaykin, I just have a really hard time parsing the extremely busy panels.

Gripweed posted:

It might be my favorite, either that or Marshal Law, but Nemesis stands out for more or less singlehandedly defining everything that'd later make 40k what it is. I guess really my favorite is just Pat Mills

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Frog Act posted:

I recently picked up the Tank Girl collection and felt the same way you did about Chaykin, I just have a really hard time parsing the extremely busy panels.

I unironically love the Tank Girl movie, but those comics also didn't hold my attention. The art worked fine for me, but there just wasn't a plot between the issues (or in the issues), so it felt like I was just reading funny sketches.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Gripweed posted:

BE PURE!
BE VIGILANT!
BEHAVE!

God, it feels like a lifetime ago now.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Frog Act posted:

Interesting, that's the first time I've heard that about Chaykin - in my experience he's been universally praised as a pointed satire of the Reagan era and kind of a classic of politically incisive but still intelligent and amusing comic art, but I haven't actually read anything by him. I started it on readcomiconline and enjoyed it enough I wanted to read it IRL though and I can see where you're coming from taking a look at it again. Hopefully I won't have the same reaction, though I recently picked up the Tank Girl collection and felt the same way you did about Chaykin, I just have a really hard time parsing the extremely busy panels.

It might be my favorite, either that or Marshal Law, but Nemesis stands out for more or less singlehandedly defining everything that'd later make 40k what it is. I guess really my favorite is just Pat Mills

Chaykin's 80s art was ok, but anything after the mid 90s is the ugliest God damned art put to page.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Uthor posted:

I unironically love the Tank Girl movie, but those comics also didn't hold my attention. The art worked fine for me, but there just wasn't a plot between the issues (or in the issues), so it felt like I was just reading funny sketches.

Yeah same I thought, as a big fan of the film and the animated segments, the comics would also be the same kind of wacky-but-coherent post apocalyptica where there was a neat world to imagine some creative but not-too-zany characters occupying and that did not turn out to be the case. Instead the very first issue begins with her weird hybrid dog man boyfriend-cum-manservant doing a long monologue about how they like to gently caress and then engaging in some very disappointing action. I’m gonna try to push through to see if it improves but I’m not hopeful

Mr Hootington posted:

Chaykin's 80s art was ok, but anything after the mid 90s is the ugliest God damned art put to page.

Interesting, I think American Flagg was entirely in the 80s and while the art does look a little funky I think it still ends up being distinctive rather than muddled. Curious to see how it looks in print which just has a fundamentally different five for me than readcomiconline

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Frog Act posted:

Oh yeah, especially towards the end where it gets very explicit that neither Torquemada nor Nemesis give a poo poo about anyone, their promises of order or freedom are both equally lies, it's just a never-ending battle between monstrous inhuman forces that humanity is trapped in.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I've actually been waiting to finish it until I got that second book but Nemesis's singleminded selfishness and lack of regard for both humanity and the aliens he claims to represent feels like it has been thematically present to some degree or another all along, very excited to actually see how the latter half of the story goes

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Are there any good modern choices for reading comics on PC? Not so much managing collections as for just having a pleasant reading experience. I've been using ComicRack for... God, at least a decade, and it's always been kind of janky and is now apparently abandoned. It feels like there must be something new out there, but all the ones I've been able to find have been focused on the "managing a giant collection" aspect of things.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
On my laptop I use a program called MMCE and on my android tablet I use an app called ComicScreen

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
generally i use cdisplayex because it has smooth scrolling, but the dev has essentially abandoned the pc port to focus on the android version. sometimes i run into a thing where it just decides random comics are broken even though i can open them fine elsewhere

mcomix is my fallback. it used to also be abandoned but i went to get the link for this post and discovered someone actually made some bug patches for it, so that's interesting. sadly doesn't have smooth scrolling or lanczos scaling like cdisplayex

just a heads up though neither have anything for collections or reading lists, these are purely readers

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I use cdisplay on my laptop. I can turn the lap top on the side and rotate the image so it's like reading a physical book. At home, the laptop is typically plugged into my tv, so I just scroll normal style there.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I was looking for a TMNT thread but there isn’t one so I’m gonna leave this here.

https://twitter.com/henereyg/status/1646724524849893382?s=46&t=K6CRMiA33aFQep_ZPx64DQ

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gripweed posted:

I was looking for a TMNT thread but there isn’t one so I’m gonna leave this here.

https://twitter.com/henereyg/status/1646724524849893382?s=46&t=K6CRMiA33aFQep_ZPx64DQ

OK?

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
There’s a new publisher on the horizon.

My initial reaction was old man yells at cloud, I HATE names like that. Taking out vowels isn’t clever. Stop it.

https://twitter.com/georgegustines/status/1646529792362127360?s=46&t=2Vl5mZOAuXyv2LbW1v-6cQ

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Joe Fisto posted:

My initial reaction was old man yells at cloud, I HATE names like that. Taking out vowels isn’t clever. Stop it.

https://twitter.com/georgegustines/status/1646529792362127360?s=46&t=2Vl5mZOAuXyv2LbW1v-6cQ

Yeah, it's, um, not getting a good reaction in the digital comics thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3611527&pagenumber=157&perpage=40&userid=0#post531153909

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Oh wow. That's great.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Kestral posted:

Are there any good modern choices for reading comics on PC? Not so much managing collections as for just having a pleasant reading experience. I've been using ComicRack for... God, at least a decade, and it's always been kind of janky and is now apparently abandoned. It feels like there must be something new out there, but all the ones I've been able to find have been focused on the "managing a giant collection" aspect of things.

Cdisplay is my no frills easy reader, but I primarily use Cover as it acts like Plex for conics and can retrieve books from OneDrive while tracking progress and such.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

All the Corto Maltese talk made me realize I'm missing a bunch as well...and also some Asterix...and some Mampato...and Valentina and...
Oh god I need to win the lottery.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Joe Fisto posted:

Screw "digital scarcity". gently caress em.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Vincent posted:

Screw "digital scarcity". gently caress em.

Seems like there’s several years too late to catch up on that lovely trend.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Is this why Amazon kneecapped Comixology?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Vincent posted:

All the Corto Maltese talk made me realize I'm missing a bunch as well...and also some Asterix...and some Mampato...and Valentina and...
Oh god I need to win the lottery.

What's Mampato and Valentina. (NUFFIN MUCH WHATS MAMPATO AND VALENTINA WITH YOU)

Anyway if you want printed cartoons from Europe, check out Tardi, Comes, Buzzelli, and especially Altan.