Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bartok
May 10, 2006

love the team of the Workhorsemen and Shane Taylor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Just looked at the card and I have to say: No Trustbusters, bad card.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Nigel is uhhhh rough on commentary. Hopefully he grows into it more but wasn’t he also doing commentary for a while in NXT?

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Ganso Bomb posted:

Nigel is uhhhh rough on commentary. Hopefully he grows into it more but wasn’t he also doing commentary for a while in NXT?

Yeah, he got to a point where he was very quite good, actually. Guessing (hoping?) it’s rust.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Senerio posted:

Just looked at the card and I have to say: No Trustbusters, bad card.

Slim J rules

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

Nigel is just trying to do Taz, but he's not as clever so he's missing a fair bit

That line about savoir faire really made it click

bartok
May 10, 2006

cool it's rob zombie I hope he sings Dragula

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

bartok posted:

Slim J rules

Agreed

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

bartok posted:

cool it's rob zombie I hope he sings Dragula

Those guys seem like dorks. Finger snapping isn’t all that spooky.

bartok
May 10, 2006

this main event is insane

Lethrom
Jul 12, 2010

Miyu and Athena own :hai:

Feel bad that Athena needs to fight her wardrobe so much but the match still rules.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

ROHThoughts

Christopher Daniels promo challenging Shibata. Nice.

1) Shane Taylor and the Workhorsemen versus Mark Briscoe and Lucha Bros. Love the Workhorsemen. In fact everyone in this match is awesome. The match is a great opener: hard hitting, energetic, and a good showcase of everyone involved.

2) Katsuyori Shibata vs Christopher Daniels. A graceful, unhurried technical match that uses its rules as a structure. Some beautiful mat wrestling here. Shibata's form is so exquisite, every movement is careful and considered. It deserved a better crowd than this.

Claudio interview in a shipping container. Eddie rivalry still going. He is a superb heel champ.

3) Brian Cage vs Ortiz. I miss EYFBO. Cage is a meathead, but he is so much fun. Ortiz is superb at being little and scrappy.

4) Darius Martin vs Jay Lethal. Hope Dante is OK. The Kingdom on commentary. Kingdom claiming credit for Dante being injured is fun. Jay Lethal is as usual a very gifted performer, and I'm interested in seeing where Darius goes as a singles guy. Match doesn't get much of a chance to shine before the Kingdom get involved

5) LFI vs The Infantry. Energetic tag match... but I think I'm approaching my limit for being impressed by the Infantry while watching them lose. I'd like to see a solid win some time. LFI are of course amazing.

6) Daniel Garcia vs Hot Sauce Tracy Williams very evenly matched and aggressive bout. Williams, when he gets the chance to shine, has great form, some tremendous strikes and grapples, and really superb energy.

7) Notorious Mimi vs Willow Nightingale. Mimi sells well, but doesn't get the most opportunity to show her skills. She sells Willow's pounce like death though.

8) The Righteous vs Even Stevens. loving Tony Khan and his even steven booking. This is a showcase for the Righteous, and it's a shame that the audience don't seem to care much.

9) Tony Nese vs Konosuke Takeshita. Grappling showcase to start. I find it odd that people would compare Takeshita to Okada. Other than size of frame and nationality they are very unalike as wrestlers. Nese and Takeshita both display huge personality here. Excitingly back and forth. Soup is in charge, but Nese is tenacious. If they let Nese be something other than "smug talented guy" he could be very compelling. I bit hard on the pumphandle pin. Great match.

10) Miyu Yamashita vs Athena. It's still Miyu, Bobby. This match is everything you might expect. Brutal on both sides, innovative, and above all exciting, with the action spilling out of the ring and off the stage. I just wish this had the crowd it deserved.

Another week, another solid as hell ROH show.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

MassRafTer posted:

She definitely should not have and I am thankful she didn't and found herself and a great new character in the aftermath.

karmicknight posted:

Yeah, TBS Champion babyface Athena would eventually have to turn into anime weirdo heel Athena and I don't know if that happens on the timeline it does without her losing to Jade.

Yeah those are good points. I've been very pro Athena since her AEW debut, but there's no denying that her new brutal heel character has been insanely good, and if it took losing the TBS title for that to happen then that's worth it.

Also I am watching RoH on my computer, and this six man tag match was fully sick.

E:

I've said this before but ROOOOSH has one of the best themes in the business. Shame the match was so quick.

Hey, the Notorious Mimi! Nice to see her, even though it was a quick match.

The Even Stevens is a great name for a tag team and a fun dumb indie-rear end gimmick. You love to see it.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Apr 7, 2023

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I don't know quite what I'm looking for here, but I keep feeling like ROH needs middle-sized venues they can hit regularly, as opposed to either end of the spectrum they're doing now: Universal Dark studio feels tiny and cramped for the kind of content ROH is putting out, but taping after Dynamite in big arenas makes it feel like AEW-lite, or Dark Elevation.

Some of the smaller college basketball venues or armory buildings are more along the lines of what I mean, like where Impact runs its bigger PPVs.

itsnews
Jul 25, 2022

Bonk posted:

I don't know quite what I'm looking for here, but I keep feeling like ROH needs middle-sized venues they can hit regularly, as opposed to either end of the spectrum they're doing now: Universal Dark studio feels tiny and cramped for the kind of content ROH is putting out, but taping after Dynamite in big arenas makes it feel like AEW-lite, or Dark Elevation.

Some of the smaller college basketball venues or armory buildings are more along the lines of what I mean, like where Impact runs its bigger PPVs.

I am so with you. I’ve said this elsewhere, but I’d love if ROH ran a BCC-based show in Blackpool when AEW goes to the UK in August.

But the sooner they get away from AEW tapings the better.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
gently caress it, ROH in Daleys Place, pandemic-style

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

gently caress it, I got honor club after supercard of honor. Loved last show. Shibata as Pure champion was the motivation I needed.

And this made me go all :3:
https://twitter.com/AndyNemmity/status/1645074853178015746?t=TC5ozyn5y9bJ4CJZgbqbOw&s=19

Like I needed more reasons to love Dalton Castle.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I love that there's basically no question about Taguchi doing it. Like of course he did.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
https://twitter.com/ROHhistory/status/1645801856575361024?s=20

itsnews
Jul 25, 2022
Seeing Larry with Tank and Bobby on the first ROH PPV was kind of what got me to get the second one, I’m pretty sure. Loved their introductory segment, and like everyone else, wish Larry was still with us.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Could you imagine Sweeney and Stoke going back and forth on Dynamite?

itsnews
Jul 25, 2022
Would be fantastic. Would love to see how he and Riccaboni would interact, too.

Here’s the card for tomorrow’s show.

- ROH World Championship Match: Claudio Castagnoli (c) vs. Metalik
- ROH Women’s Championship Proving Ground Match: Athena (c) vs. Ashley D’Amboise
- Mark Briscoe vs. Ari Daivari
- Willow Nightingale vs. Little Mean Kathleen
- Skye Blue vs. Kelly Medan
- Mike Bennett vs. Darius Martin
- Tracy Williams vs. Wheeler Yuta
- WorkHorsemen vs. Shibata/Coughlin
- Tony Nese vs. Stu Grayson

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

LMK all fuckin day

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

3 women's matches, RoH Tony gets it

(All with no doubt in winner but I'll take it)

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

itsnews posted:

Would be fantastic. Would love to see how he and Riccaboni would interact, too.

I swear he's been on elevation with those two at least once or twice. I seem to remember they had good chemistry... unless he wasn't on at all and my memory is an rear end in a top hat. possible.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

The Taxman posted:

3 women's matches, RoH Tony gets it

(All with no doubt in winner but I'll take it)

Would've been 4 but Madison Rayne got injured.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

The crowd did not pop nearly enough for Alex Coughlin doing the most insane feat of strength I've ever seen

Match ruled, manifest that Anthony Henry v Shibata Pure match from commentary please Tony

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

Willow's stampede ain't got nothin on Miu's

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Really nice match from Tony and Stooooo there.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

D'Amboise is having a great showing against Athena. Athena, as always, is loving excellent.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

Pylons posted:

D'Amboise is having a great showing against Athena. Athena, as always, is loving excellent.

And a lil promo after, dig it. Athena rules

As a show, RoH is really tight and cohesive!!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Should've gone to this just for this match. Maybe announce them ahead of time, loser Tony!!!

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Lucha base Claudio is so loving good.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

Should've gone to this just for this match. Maybe announce them ahead of time, loser Tony!!!

Easy solution, go to every show that is reasonable to go to

Duh

bartok
May 10, 2006

I don't know why I didn't think Claudio/Metalik would kick rear end. Glad I was wrong.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

loving awesome match.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

The Taxman posted:

The crowd did not pop nearly enough for Alex Coughlin doing the most insane feat of strength I've ever seen

Match ruled, manifest that Anthony Henry v Shibata Pure match from commentary please Tony

Coughlin is extremely powerful and I hope he can stay healthy and relevant now that Strong is done. He also has an amazing hair metal theme song.

Another good episode!

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Dalton Castle was on AEW Unrestricted and confirmed that he has heat with Emi Sakura, about who is the biggest Queen fan.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Oasx posted:

Dalton Castle was on AEW Unrestricted and confirmed that he has heat with Emi Sakura, about who is the biggest Queen fan.

I wouldn't mind a match between Dalton Castle and Emi Sakura. Dalton Castle and The Boys vs Emi Sakura/Mei Suruga/Lulu Pencil trios match.

Book it Tony!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Guillermus posted:

I wouldn't mind a match between Dalton Castle and Emi Sakura. Dalton Castle and The Boys vs Emi Sakura/Mei Suruga/Lulu Pencil trios match.

Book it Tony!

Winner gets their entrance them sung by Taz.