Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

i made a winter chowder with turnips, carrots. celery, rutabaga, and potatoes. its very good ladled over my cheese toast!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

AxGrap posted:

Trying to think of other things to do with squid besides deep frying. They are tasty and cheap enough. Cleaning them is a hell of a biology lesson for kid#1.

I get squid tubes more often than a whole squid that needs to be cleaned, and one trick that should work with the tube part of a whole squid is to drop them in boiling water for 60 seconds. Drop them on top of a salad.

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
feeling crummy, made broth in the instapot from what's left of 2 Costco rotisserie chickens. bit of salt, solid handful of whole peppercorns and a few star anise in there for 1h on high pressure

tonight: chicken lemon orzo soup. hell yeah I could eat this forever. bunch of dill, more ground pepper, and like 1/2c lemon juice. cleans the ol sinuses right out real nice

Griz
May 21, 2001

AxGrap posted:

Trying to think of other things to do with squid besides deep frying. They are tasty and cheap enough. Cleaning them is a hell of a biology lesson for kid#1.

boiled squid with miso sauce
https://www.justonecookbook.com/boiled-squid-with-miso-vinaigrette/

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/molly0xFFF/status/1643265834243039232

mystes
May 31, 2006

yeah obviously. if they were using the real text you could just copy the text out

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I made some temaki and it was surprisingly easy even without adding vinegar to the rice and just using imitation crab

the nori and perfectly Zojirushi neuro fuzzily cooked rice got me like 75% there in flavor and smell and texture to high quality stuff I've had and was honestly better than the average restaurant even on my second attempt

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I got some dried "jiri" tiny anchovies, they just really stood out and I'm pretty sure I can mix it into sauce for pasta, which i always put canned anchovies or mackerel in. Any other ideas? This is the most exciting thing that I've found in my life in a while

Note I'm completely ignorant of kind of cooking and most eating east of Tehran and I don't have any equipment like a wok or similar.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

sautee em with garlic, rice wine, soy sauce, sesame oil and either honey or gochujang (or both I guess) for a basic myeulchi bokkeum. Great on rice or mixed with fried shishtos (or similar) as a side

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
bought some pre-made Chinese five spice blend because last time I ground star anise my family complained that the house stunk for days.

whatever. I'm just trying to make delicious concoctions for you.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Made a boiled dinner tonight.

Took some discounted beef, cut it into large chunks, then simmered it for 2.5 hours or so. Had the water well salted and seasoned with thyme and rosemary. Then I added shallots, potatoes, and celery. Let it simmer for another hour.

The broth I strained and served as a first course, after putting it in the broiler for a bit with some croutons and cheese. The beef was tender and tasty and the veg was great as well.

Delicious. Really easy too.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

I'll have to try broiled water.

Griz
May 21, 2001

hifi posted:

I'll have to try broiled water.

it's french onion soup minus the onions

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

I think your bread is very pretty.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
those are some drat fine loaves

my wife asked for takeout for dinner but I protested and instead re-heated some pulled pork in the broiler, roasted some parboiled carrots, and re-heated day-old white rice in the microwave.

in the end she told me it was better than takeout if only because it saved us $45 or whatever dinner for two costs now. felt good.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

very nice!

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

those are some drat fine loaves

my wife asked for takeout for dinner but I protested and instead re-heated some pulled pork in the broiler, roasted some parboiled carrots, and re-heated day-old white rice in the microwave.

in the end she told me it was better than takeout if only because it saved us $45 or whatever dinner for two costs now. felt good.

That's so cute, great job

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

the first thing I had in New Orleans when we moved there in the early 1990s was a fried shrimp poboy from Domilises

this is what I made with some of that bread

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

i am harry posted:

the first thing I had in New Orleans when we moved there in the early 1990s was a fried shrimp poboy from Domilises

this is what I made with some of that bread

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Nice but those tomatoes look unsalted and is that Catsup

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

tomatoes are home grown so they don’t need any and no it’s ketchup because that’s what goes on a fried shrimp poboy

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i am harry posted:

tomatoes are home grown so they don’t need any and no it’s ketchup because that’s what goes on a fried shrimp poboy

tomatoes and ketchup can't be on the same thing, it's a rule. you made a jumbo jack

but congrats on the shrimp, that's pro-fry

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I made this pulled pork recipe (maybe I got it from here?) with Chinese five spice blend and a honey/ginger/soy sauce/garlic marinade. it's a real hit.

next time a fried egg on top though.

do you happen to have the recipe for this still? even the most mediocre of pulled pork (the one I make) is still wayyyy better than most meat dishes to me, and this looks a cut above that.

for tonight's dinner I did something my Mexican family never does: added greens to the beans. i roasted a hefty amount of carrots and onions, added some recently-cooked beans and their juice, then finished it with a bunch of kale and simmered the resulting stew for 20 minutes. a nice change of pace after a lifetime of plain beans with crumbly cheese, or spicy beans with bacon.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

here it is:

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/slow_cooker_chinese_pulled_pork/

I just do it in the oven because I don't own a slow cooker. good results though.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

i say swears online posted:

tomatoes and ketchup can't be on the same thing, it's a rule. you made a jumbo jack

but congrats on the shrimp, that's pro-fry

thanks but you’ll have to take that up with all of New Orleans

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

war crimes enthusiast
many places use a remolade

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

this is sounding pretty loving reddity fellas

I made a Domilise’s inspired fried shrimp poboy from the ground up and it’s amazing. there’s nothing more to say

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

remoulade and tartar are s-tier condiments

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Anyone have a tip for peeling these little bastards?

e: looks like a dunking in some scalding water did the trick! ha! now I’m peeling them with just my fingers and soon they will all be pickled :allears:

i am harry has issued a correction as of 18:55 on Apr 8, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

i am harry posted:

Anyone have a tip for peeling these little bastards?

Cut them in half

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

i say swears online posted:

remoulade and tartar are s-tier condiments

ketchup is just coctail sauce w/out the horseradish

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

cocktail sauce also sucks. if i'm getting a fried seafood basket i always sub tartar

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i am harry posted:

e: looks like a dunking in some scalding water did the trick! ha! now I’m peeling them with just my fingers and soon they will all be pickled :allears:

this is a good tip ty, i hate when i get onions and the only ones i can find look like they were squished flat instead of round

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I know this is going to sound super obvious to anyone who knows anything, but it's shocking how much better the results are when you get a quality cut of meat from a local butcher versus whatever is wrapped in plastic at the grocery store.

like even with cuts of meat that aren't fine in any sense and are typically meant for long slow roasting or braising, the difference is astounding.

I made the exact same pulled pork recipe two times and when I made it with a pork butt I bought at the farmers market, it was melting into its own fatty renderings by the fourth hour. when I made it with a grocery store pork butt it took way longer and even then I had to chop the pieces up with a chef's knife because it wasn't nearly as tender as it needed to be for shredding with forks.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

HootTheOwl posted:

Cut them in half

i was about to before I thought about scalding them to teach them a lesson, but if I did that then they don’t look as pretty.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

here it is:

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/slow_cooker_chinese_pulled_pork/

I just do it in the oven because I don't own a slow cooker. good results though.

thank you! I don't have a slow cooker either so that works for me

I made this caramel/chocolate/pecan tart because I just had too many leftover pecans and chocolate chips. The caramel was suprisingly easy and delicious, just a bunch of individually wrapped caramels and a splash of heavy whipping cream. I'll definitely incorporate that into some turtle brownies at some point. The crust had that pleasant combination of salt and nuttiness that all my favorite dark chocolates have, too

Here's the recipe

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I know this is going to sound super obvious to anyone who knows anything, but it's shocking how much better the results are when you get a quality cut of meat from a local butcher versus whatever is wrapped in plastic at the grocery store.

like even with cuts of meat that aren't fine in any sense and are typically meant for long slow roasting or braising, the difference is astounding.

I made the exact same pulled pork recipe two times and when I made it with a pork butt I bought at the farmers market, it was melting into its own fatty renderings by the fourth hour. when I made it with a grocery store pork butt it took way longer and even then I had to chop the pieces up with a chef's knife because it wasn't nearly as tender as it needed to be for shredding with forks.

i just moved next to a farmer's market that meets tomorrow so now i'm convinced to go

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

catgirlgenius posted:

thank you! I don't have a slow cooker either so that works for me

I made this caramel/chocolate/pecan tart because I just had too many leftover pecans and chocolate chips. The caramel was suprisingly easy and delicious, just a bunch of individually wrapped caramels and a splash of heavy whipping cream. I'll definitely incorporate that into some turtle brownies at some point. The crust had that pleasant combination of salt and nuttiness that all my favorite dark chocolates have, too

Here's the recipe

nice. caramel and caramel sauce is super simple and impresses people every time

pecan best nut (besides pistachios but i've never cooked with them)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

hell yeah eating less and better meat feels better as well as tastes better.
when I was living in the uk I’d often walk home and stop at a nice butchers to get something for dinner.

I found that the combination of rice noodles and fried chili oil can convince my brain I’m getting that meaty texture in a vegetable stirfry