Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Godholio posted:

Anybody at Minot? Or privy to RUMINT about what the gently caress is going on with a bunch of firings?

A bunch of senior officers figured out One Weird Trick to getting assigned to a better base, EO officers hate them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I'm assuming it's nukes until I hear otherwise.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

That was my initial thought, too, but it's the MSG and LRS commanders, so who even knows.

The only MSG CC firing I was personally familiar with involved generally toxic leadership and specifically misusing resources (including using base funds to have a dog park installed next to the CC's house for their near-exclusive use) so I wouldn't be surprised if it was just leaders failing to hide their selfishness beyond what the Air Force normally tolerates. Or some kind of swinger thing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Top 3 picks: 1. Cheating (Testing), Cheating (Relationships), or Drugs.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
There are specific vehicles and equipment designated for the nuclear mission. There was fuckery in the mx and paper trails in that department, bye bye LRS/CC, and
Shirt. MSG/CC and Group Sup are gone too.

loving amazing it happened, because I mean… gently caress. You know all of that is zero error zero fail kinda poo poo. But uh, yeah.

This is what I was told from the ancient order of AFI 69-420 veterans on FB.

90% chance of being fud. But hey, why not.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Arc Light posted:

That was my initial thought, too, but it's the MSG and LRS commanders, so who even knows.

The only MSG CC firing I was personally familiar with involved generally toxic leadership and specifically misusing resources (including using base funds to have a dog park installed next to the CC's house for their near-exclusive use) so I wouldn't be surprised if it was just leaders failing to hide their selfishness beyond what the Air Force normally tolerates. Or some kind of swinger thing.

Lol I was at Osan for that MSG/CC. Crazy story.

Edit: I was at the MDG, so I fortunately didn't have any first-hand experiences with that poo poo storm.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Those two group commanders and "four subordinate leaders" so the description fits.

We lost an MXG at Nellis, after a string of Class-A mishaps, most of which were negligent at best. Like putting a wrench through an F-35's engine.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Arc Light posted:

And the dog park was just like a 20ft by 5ft dog run really. Such a dumbass thing to get fired over.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Failed nuclear surety inspection

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

The enlisted force sure is sensitive about the whole beard thing

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

While I think beards are a good thing, I've also noticed a distinct lack of discussion about suicides and assaults while this has been floating around.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Godholio posted:

While I think beards are a good thing, I've also noticed a distinct lack of discussion about suicides and assaults while this has been floating around.

Have the rates gone up recently? I genuinely don't know.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

Sacrist65 posted:

For the people who ETS'd. Do you ever regret not sticking it out, even though you would likely have been be retired by now?

Not in the slightest. QoL and pay are superior in every way.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

xaarman posted:

Not in the slightest. QoL and pay are superior in every way.
Does your job allow you to smoke the devil's lettuce, and if so, is it worth it compared to being in? I've pigeonholed myself in this job field so hard that even when I get out, I'll be stuck in a civilian equivalent job where that's a no-go forever. Kinda wish I went into something more normal, like medical, or CE, or MX (lol yeah no gently caress that).

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
Lol my new ets date is 3888.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Does your job allow you to smoke the devil's lettuce, and if so, is it worth it compared to being in? I've pigeonholed myself in this job field so hard that even when I get out, I'll be stuck in a civilian equivalent job where that's a no-go forever. Kinda wish I went into something more normal, like medical, or CE, or MX (lol yeah no gently caress that).

It does not, but I have little desire to do that anyways.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Shalhavet posted:

Guess you'll be in the USAF in your next life, and the next one, and the one after that, etc.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
At least you'll ETS after the Clan Invasion of the Inner Sphere

nullscan
May 28, 2004

I tried.

I tried pushing the button on February 1st. But due to my DEROS/ADSC/DOS all falling on January 21, and me of course being in Korea, I can't push the button until I get a friggin 10 day DOS extension that has been processing for a month and a half. I guess when overseas you can only retie on the first of the month.

I'm broken, will probably pull 100% disability, and just want to start making plans for after retirement. Why do you gotta Air Force me again, Air Force?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Sacrist65 posted:

Have the rates gone up recently? I genuinely don't know.

I haven't seen anything from 2022 yet, but this report from 2021 has some "good" information.

2021 saw 519 servicemember suicides, as well as 202 dependents. The AF, Marines, and Navy were all down over previous years, the Army ticked upward.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Godholio posted:

I haven't seen anything from 2022 yet, but this report from 2021 has some "good" information.

2021 saw 519 servicemember suicides, as well as 202 dependents. The AF, Marines, and Navy were all down over previous years, the Army ticked upward.

Looks like someone's going to have to stay late on a holiday weekend for some mandatory suicide prevention counseling.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
If Im reading that report correctly the AF had a pretty dramatic reduction since 2019. That's ~30 lives saved.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

OCPs were authorized as an alternative to ABUs 1 Oct 2018.

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013

Shalhavet posted:

Air Force = Scientology Sea Org-ish?

Egad!

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
I mean I do get a "gently caress you I quit" button in vMPF now. Yay NCO career status program?

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

That button must be so tempting at times. Get tasked to do a poo poo ton of EPRs and awards all at once, due yesterday? drat it would take some strength to not click it, I would be too weak.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I don't know how soon your retirement date would be, but you'd likely have enough time to be compelled to get it done before you start terminal, i.e. 3 weeks.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

New 36-2903 dropped a few days ago. Commercial cold weather outerwear is authorized. The only real guideline is that it needs to be either coyote brown or OCP pattern, with name/rank/etc patches.

I eagerly await the increasing insane brown jackets belligerent Airmen will start wearing.

Might even get an OCP M-65 field jacket, I need something warm and cozy for a TDY to Korea next winter.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Are old snorkel parkas still in there?

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Casimir Radon posted:

Are old snorkel parkas still in there?

Yeeeep. There's still a paragraph for them. The last vestige of the Korean War uniform won't die until there is true peace between the Koreas.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
A coyote brown Supreme puffy jacket.

Mad drip.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

I actually bought this last winter for 180 bux: https://dakotaouterwear.com/products/mc4308-parka

It is insanely comfy but with me pushing the button I'll be passing it along. I will not wear anything coyote brown or OCP patterned after I get out. And I'll burn all my 500 pairs of brown/green socks at my retirement ceremony.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Do socks breed? I still have an insane amount of black BDU socks, and this is after I threw out a lot of them in 2014. I guess I got my money's worth though, I still wear 'em to work.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I still have maybe 11 sand brown shirts.

Good sleepwear and workin around the house shirts.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

lite_sleepr posted:

I still have maybe 11 sand brown shirts.

Good sleepwear and workin around the house shirts.

Yeah same, most of mine have been stained up by yard work and oil changes. Still love my military socks too.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
Up until a few months ago I still had some air force issued cold weather gear but I donated it to Ukraine. Pretty sure that was the last stuff I had

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
I wanna become an Air Force Dependa

What are the necessary steps? Which base’s town should I hang out in to get bagged up by junior or senior enlisted. How do I go whale hunting for that O?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Easier to become a dependa as a man by giving up that bussy, it’s harder to catch those straight female service members as a fat dependa when they’re swimming in a sea of barely restrained dicks that can pass a PT test.. ya know.. as a way of life.

Being a sloppy bear dependa? Easy and doable.

Being an Adonis with mobile job skills and being a dependa? Hard, and next to impossible.

Everything in between is just variations on the themes of service members and vets interbreeding.

My dependa used those dependa benefits when I was in to get a great career going so my money I earn is kind of like Monopoly money. I have the financial restraint of an 8 year old because daddy war bucks will make baby shimmy whole on the first of the month lol and I’m not allowed to touch anything other than my retirement checks :lol:.

Dependa’ing my dependa.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Hotel Kpro posted:

Up until a few months ago I still had some air force issued cold weather gear but I donated it to Ukraine. Pretty sure that was the last stuff I had
How did you donate it? I got a bunch of old gear I can't use anymore that's just eating up space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum

Jimmy Smuts posted:

How did you donate it? I got a bunch of old gear I can't use anymore that's just eating up space.

I just kinda shipped it all to the address posted at the bottom of this page and hoped it would go to the right place. They have an Amazon wishlist set up and everything ordered off that goes to that address and I figured my stuff would just get lumped in. They didn't send it back so either it got thrown away or shipped off to someone who needs it more than me. I had never used my stuff either, I think my APECS pants were still in the plastic wrap.