Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

gently caress, this is going to get me to reinstall Elite Dangerous
The frogs are still around, if that helps/hinders your decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q00Zf2wEFD8

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
New ThoughtSlime video and I don't think I can really get behind their arguments this time, aka "Hey, let's derail the thread into a big debate about the ethics of shoplifting"

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
What is there to discuss about the ethics? Tactics is an evergreen topic though.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
imo, as someone who used to work retail and someone who lives on an insanely thin budget, i literally can't bring myself to care about shoplifting unless youre so bad at it that you get caught then then i have to fill out paperwork or stay late or whatever. the highly individualized nature of each person's circumstance makes it near impossible to create a blanket moral code that covers every single circumstance from desperate mothers to bored, under-stimulated rich teens. just dont make my life harder by being bad at it

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

KingKalamari posted:

New ThoughtSlime video and I don't think I can really get behind their arguments this time, aka "Hey, let's derail the thread into a big debate about the ethics of shoplifting"
Isn't this... fairly low-hanging fruit?

Should you shoplift in general? Probably not.
Are there scenarios, like in a situation where you have a starving child dependent on you, where it's ethically justified to shoplift? Yes.
Will the topic ever be sufficiently discussed, or is there a final answer? No.

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

shoplifting is fine, just don't get caught and make everyone's day harder

gently caress wal-mart

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I won't drag the topic down on my views on shoplifting but I will say the fact that Walmart tosses out tons of food and basically prevents people from diving it out of the dumpster is pathetic.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Stealing from corporations = good
Stealing from people = bad

Seems simple to me

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Corporations are people

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Jimbot posted:

I won't drag the topic down on my views on shoplifting but I will say the fact that Walmart tosses out tons of food and basically prevents people from diving it out of the dumpster is pathetic.

It's not just walmart, basically all grocery stores throw out mind-boggling quantities of non-spoiled food rather than giving it away (and as you mentioned in many cases, even take active steps to prevent dumpster diving) because there is a slippery-slope fear that if you give the consumer the idea that if they wait on buying a product long enough it will eventually just be given away, nobody will buy things anymore. For another example where the product isn't even time sensitive to something like spoilage, see the whole Funkopop thing from a few weeks back where they just dumped shitloads of their ugly plastic gremlins directly into landfill because they couldn't be sold instead of donating them, giving them away or running promotions with them, etc. The rational and efficient forces of the all-knowing market at their best.

As to the ethics of shoplifting, the primary factor that mostly allows people to do it these days is self-checkout, which stores installed in the first place so they could cut down on labor costs. Basically at any time these companies crying a river over shoplifting could curtail the bulk of it by ripping those things out and paying for a 2-4 extra cashiers, but of course they want it both ways where all labor is offloaded onto the customer for free and the customers don't take advantage of systems where some modicum of trust and power is placed in them to allow them to scan and bag their own purchases. So you're not gonna find me shedding a single solitary tear over people scanning cheaper codes or dropping a few extra items into their bag they "forgot" to scan.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Thoughtslime's video is specifically not about stealing to survive

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah watched that earlier and TS came to all the same conclusions basically:

1. in general it's wrong to steal, as it hurts someone
2. however, corporations are also basically stealing wages etc so stealing from them is super negligible
3. the argument that "shoplifting makes corporations fire workers" is idiotic
4. the biggest thing: who cares?

Obviously there's a lot more variables and nuance and he does a pretty thorough job of going through them, I def think it's worth a watch

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Also I just found out recently in the SF Bay thread that certain grocery stores like Safeway put contract language in their leases and land deeds that if they close a grocery store, that same building cannot house another grocery store for 20 goddamn years, which can senselessly create long standing localized food deserts in places they pull out of, as is happening right now in North Beach.

So yeah honestly gently caress these guys, as long as you're not a dick to the staff steal all the hams you want imo.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Five years for what you did, the rest because you tried to run, 24601

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Minion Death Cult is a podcast that digs into the comments sections on Facebook and news articles to mine content and they've run into this a few times.

It's kind of shocking that if you look most of the cranky older people on Facebook and across a shocking number of conservative sites...parrot the same points about day-to-day minor shoplifting. It's their fault for doing self-checkout which put people out of work/not hiring enough workers/gouging on prices/oh poor little Walmart. At least as long as there aren't any pictures to trigger the racism/millennial-hating parts of their brain and it's a general point.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Sydin posted:

It's not just walmart, basically all grocery stores throw out mind-boggling quantities of non-spoiled food rather than giving it away (and as you mentioned in many cases, even take active steps to prevent dumpster diving) because there is a slippery-slope fear that if you give the consumer the idea that if they wait on buying a product long enough it will eventually just be given away, nobody will buy things anymore. For another example where the product isn't even time sensitive to something like spoilage, see the whole Funkopop thing from a few weeks back where they just dumped shitloads of their ugly plastic gremlins directly into landfill because they couldn't be sold instead of donating them, giving them away or running promotions with them, etc. The rational and efficient forces of the all-knowing market at their best.

im pretty sure its bc if someone gets sick from the donated food it opens them up to a lawsuit (this is at least what i have been taught)(this does not mean its right lol)

fun hater
May 24, 2009

one time i watched a guy take a cart full to the top with food to a self check out and then he put everything on the belt and then put it in bags without scanning anything and then walked off. it was bad rear end. but more importantly, it was very funny. i think he should be allowed to do that

VVV this also lol

fun hater fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 6, 2023

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

The only reason not to shoplift is companies like Walmart who 100% know you are doing it and carefully totalling it up so when you hit $500.01 in shoplifted items they can hit you with a felony.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Stealing from corporations is self defense, doubly so if you work there

fun hater
May 24, 2009

thats a really stupid way to gently caress up your life lol

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
See, the part that I think gets glossed over a little bit too much for my taste is the potential damage it does to low-level employees (And I'm not talking about the hit the company takes to its bottom line affecting employment because I agree that that's a bullshit explanation). Rather, consistent instances of shoplifting can be used as justification on the part of the company or management to either fire employees for not actively preventing it or to make them do more work as part of their duties to try and prevent shoplifting.

That's why I advocate heists and scams over shoplifting from a moral standpoint: There is less risk of low level employees getting caught in the crossfire.

(Note that this is all taken under the assumption that the shoplifting is not being done for someone to meet their basic necessities. If you're Jean Valjean then go ahead and steal that loaf of bread to feed your sister's starving child)

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
yeah in a lot of places they wait until whatever you have stolen adds up to a felony and then hit you with one as soon as it reaches that amount. however. mom and pop stores tend not to know about doing this so fire away.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

KingKalamari posted:

See, the part that I think gets glossed over a little bit too much for my taste is the potential damage it does to low-level employees (And I'm not talking about the hit the company takes to its bottom line affecting employment because I agree that that's a bullshit explanation). Rather, consistent instances of shoplifting can be used as justification on the part of the company or management to either fire employees for not actively preventing it or to make them do more work as part of their duties to try and prevent shoplifting.

That's why I advocate heists and scams over shoplifting from a moral standpoint: There is less risk of low level employees getting caught in the crossfire.

(Note that this is all taken under the assumption that the shoplifting is not being done for someone to meet their basic necessities. If you're Jean Valjean then go ahead and steal that loaf of bread to feed your sister's starving child)

If a business wants an excuse to fire employees, it will find one, same with demanding workers do more.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

yeah nearly every state can fire you for any reason lol. the inconvenience it causes to the workers is that someone being bad at shoplifting means i might have to interact with a cop or spend any amount of time with the person working loss prevention, who is always the most insane person on planet earth and then i have to stay late at the job i already hate and then we probably have some kind of stupid rear end team meeting we have to attend about the problem on a weekend. its that kind of poo poo.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

KingKalamari posted:

Am I missing something or is there a form of scamming/grifting that targets companies instead of individual donators feeling sorry for your made up dog with cancer.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

mycot posted:

Am I missing something or is there a form of scamming/grifting that targets companies instead of individual donators feeling sorry for your made up dog with cancer.

theres a beef shortage rn and a part of the reason is bc tyson foods paid a guy almost a quarter of a million dollars to raise cattle for them and instead he just stole it lol

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

mycot posted:

If the people you're taking money from call themselves "investors" then the scam might be good.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Oh I see most of the scamming I see is your typical "if you don't give 500 dollars this queer POC baby is going to be homeless" tearjerkers

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

fun hater posted:

theres a beef shortage rn and a part of the reason is bc tyson foods paid a guy almost a quarter of a million dollars to raise cattle for them and instead he just stole it lol

based

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

fun hater posted:

This is praxis

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

It's one of those things where I'm cranky it happened because only one person benefits greatly ( the guy who stole the money ) and meat processors because now they can jack up the price of beef. And a ton of people are going to lose out because the meat processors have raised the price. It's not a *necessity* to have beef like other foods, but it's still bad that this happened for most people.

I'm not sure how cattle ranchers will factor in the win/lose pile, as they will make more money selling their cattle... but they won't be selling until the fall.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

fun hater posted:

lmao

fun hater posted:

im pretty sure its bc if someone gets sick from the donated food it opens them up to a lawsuit (this is at least what i have been taught)(this does not mean its right lol)

Yeah fair that's also part of it, and also the reason why expiration dates on stuff like meat and dairy are pretty aggressive: it's safer to just say things are bad before they actually are and chuck them than it is to hold onto product until the last possible second and risk selling something potentially rancid.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 7, 2023

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Prices will always go up and capitalists will always require more work from workers while firing whoever they can because the profit motive requires these things. They’re not caused by anything other than the inherent qualities of capitalism.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Sydin posted:

lmao

Yeah fair that's also part of it, and also the reason why expiration dates on stuff like meat and dairy are pretty aggressive: it's safer to just say things are bad before they actually are and chuck them than it is to hold onto product until the last possible second and risk selling something potentially rancid.

At the very least, even totally spoiled foodstuff should be converted to fertilizer, rather than general trash. That's something they could move towards.
Old Hungarian fruit stand operator I used to live next to told me to save any spoiled milk, dilute heavily with water, and feed it to my pepper plants. Dude knew what he was talking about. Nice and crisp, no blossom end rot.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 7, 2023

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

fun hater posted:

The US passed the Bill Emerson Good Samaritan Food Donation Act, giving liability protections on good fath food donations to non-profit charities, in 1996, and they passed an addendum last year to strengthen and clarify that law. This hasn't been true for almost 30 years.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Garrand posted:

The US passed the Bill Emerson Good Samaritan Food Donation Act, giving liability protections on good fath food donations to non-profit charities, in 1996, and they passed an addendum last year to strengthen and clarify that law. This hasn't been true for almost 30 years.

lol welp, just greed all the way down.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Twincityhacker posted:

The only reason not to shoplift is companies like Walmart who 100% know you are doing it and carefully totalling it up so when you hit $500.01 in shoplifted items they can hit you with a felony.

Wait, how do they track that?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

Wait, how do they track that?
Big box stores have dedicated security for poo poo like that, so they just catch it on camera, make notes of your appearance, and typically shoplifters will be sloppy and leave empty boxes behind giving them a decent estimate. And once they suspect you’ve been shoplifting, they will alert the sales floor to keep an eye on you, making it even easier to figure out what you took. Though the point of alerting the sales floor is to send sales people at you every couple minutes to send a not-so-subtle message that you’re being watched. Because they’d still rather you not shoplift any further than deal with the hassle of losing $500+ of merch and then get the police involved. So if you’ve ever been harangued by retail employees asking if you need help, then chances are they think you’re a theft risk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Pants Donkey posted:

Big box stores have dedicated security for poo poo like that, so they just catch it on camera, make notes of your appearance, and typically shoplifters will be sloppy and leave empty boxes behind giving them a decent estimate. And once they suspect you’ve been shoplifting, they will alert the sales floor to keep an eye on you, making it even easier to figure out what you took. Though the point of alerting the sales floor is to send sales people at you every couple minutes to send a not-so-subtle message that you’re being watched. Because they’d still rather you not shoplift any further than deal with the hassle of losing $500+ of merch and then get the police involved. So if you’ve ever been harangued by retail employees asking if you need help, then chances are they think you’re a theft risk.

or it's a place with commission.
Sure pal I could use your help, get your numbers up and try to sell me the extended warranty on that SD card you're going to go run and get for me.