Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

Also, yeah that tweet brought something to my attention - what the gently caress?

I realize they killed their own top negotiator, but “intelligence agents violated orders and attacked a neutral country” is concerning.

Makes you wonder if those Polish famers who died when an anti air missile landed on them were actually deliberately targeted and murdered in an attempt to blame Russia and drag in NATO. They certainly tried to do the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

lmao where's that picture of osama/gaddafi reaching down from heaven for zelensky because i think it's going to be very applicable real soon

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, the edit controversy is rather moot because the rest of the document illustrates in severe terms that the Ukrainians have taken excessive casualities anyway. In particular, the amount of Ukrainian brigades on the line is clearly thin along with how little artillery has been fired and the how many T-64 tanks are left etc. There isn't much left of the Ukrainian army.

I mean how do you get from the reported size of regular army + reserves to that number of active brigades without significant losses?

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 07:31 on Apr 7, 2023

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
part of me wonders whether this 'leak' is just a operation mincemeat style fake left behind to fool people. i dont think nato would ever allow their super ultra secret plans to be leaked online in this way without immediately finding and killing the person who leaked it. i am extremely skeptical.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Gravid Topiary posted:

lmao where's that picture of osama/gaddafi reaching down from heaven for zelensky because i think it's going to be very applicable real soon

dunno but hopefully someone is working on the next version with zelensky in heaven and some other sucker lined up

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
i think zelenskys gonna be fine, hell either have 70% of his country to run once a peace deal is signed or hell be living in the nicest apartment in Warsaw.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The question is what they would gain beyond the casualty box controversy. The Russians aren't going to be using it rather than their own intel and at least some of it (like the mud map) is going to be confirmed elsewhere.

If the idea is to shape public opinion, it is a pretty mixed bag because the "Western" version of the casualty box doesn't match up with the other information displayed either. Arguably, New York Times had to confirmed most of it to squash the box debate.

Zelensky's biggest danger isn't the Russians or the general population, but crossing the wrong oligarch/spook and ending up having a heart attack in his bathtub.

----

Personally, I think the New York Times editors made a mistake here The NYT in order to the go after the edit box debate, they had to confirmed the whole thing, the problem with that is document paints overall very bleak picture for the Ukrainians. It would have been better to say nothing and left it ambiguous.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 07:55 on Apr 7, 2023

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Who is the fourth truck for?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Horizon Burning posted:

it's legit because vernii is malding about it (and should return to gbs)

Yeah, it's obvious that people like that are started to get kind of worried that maybe their bizarre understanding of the war might not reflect reality.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I will relieve my cognitive dissonance by showing those perfidious putler-kissing tankies how wrong they are

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

part of me wonders whether this 'leak' is just a operation mincemeat style fake left behind to fool people. i dont think nato would ever allow their super ultra secret plans to be leaked online in this way without immediately finding and killing the person who leaked it. i am extremely skeptical.

I think you overestimate how competent these people are. With every year that passes, the sort of people who were involved with the Cold War are replaced by people like that one lady who was in a Harry Potter band and briefly appointed "disinformation czar."

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i guess the yanks were just waiting for a convenient bus to throw the ukraine under

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Cerebral Bore posted:

i guess the yanks were just waiting for a convenient bus to throw the ukraine under

The US and Europe are still stuck in this mess though, the war itself isn't even the big issue compared to pressure on the dollar and energy politics.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ardennes posted:

The US and Europe are still stuck in this mess though, the war itself isn't even the big issue compared to pressure on the dollar and energy politics.

since they were dumb enough to start a total economic war with no plan for what would happen if they didn't win immediately they're likely also dumb enough to believe that they can just go back to the status quo ante once the ground war wraps up

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
very smart euros: wait, this war thing was about our very dear ally selling us out all along?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Majorian posted:

Hahahaha, I mean hey, good for Ukraine if those plans are real and got leaked, I guess. Gives them a chance to rethink things.

Russia will never expect Ukraine following through exactly with the leaked plans. Ukraine has just gained the element of surprise.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Orange Devil posted:

Russia will never expect Ukraine following through exactly with the leaked plans. Ukraine has just gained the element of surprise.

Those brilliant sons of bitches. They'll be in Moscow by July.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Vernii posted:

Do you also think the Russians have lost only 7 aircraft and 8 helicopters?

Nah that's actually an artifact of the scanning. They have lost 1 aircraft.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Cerebral Bore posted:

since they were dumb enough to start a total economic war with no plan for what would happen if they didn't win immediately they're likely also dumb enough to believe that they can just go back to the status quo ante once the ground war wraps up

"we can still win over the third world with laughable non-credible threats, because that's how capitalism works"

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Slavvy posted:

Oh look, something bad for Ukraine has entered the twittersphere and a little fash worm has crawled out of the woodwork to poo poo up the thread again. Every single time, it's remarkable.

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

smug jeebus posted:

Who is the fourth truck for?

It’s for the mobile bakery unit

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Turtle Watch posted:

It’s for the mobile bakery unit

I love the look on her face.

"Hmph...he'll NEVER win me over! ...even though he has such nice, big pecs..."

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

Majorian posted:

I love the look on her face.

"Hmph...he'll NEVER win me over! ...even though he has such nice, big pecs..."

Her grumpy orc neighbor has the best buns in town - and his baked goods aren’t bad either!

When Elara flees corporate life to open a coffee shop in the small southern town of Fairhaven Falls, the last thing she is looking for is a relationship. But when she meets Grondar, the gruff orc owner of the bakery next door, sparks fly. Literally.

Grondar has been burned by human females before. He has no intention of letting the feisty little female next door get under his skin - no matter how attractive he finds her. And it certainly doesn’t mean he’s going to let her get away with sabotaging his business.

Despite their disastrous first meeting, Elara still finds herself having inappropriately heated thoughts about the massive orc next door. It doesn't help that every time he stomps over to lecture her she ends up in his arms!

Can they overcome their initial animosity and their very obvious differences to find their happily ever after?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Frosted Flake posted:

I'm going to screenshot it so I don't get a sixer for you thinking this is coming out of my mouth:

lmao at this idiot who thinks tigers have spots

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Frosted Flake posted:

Also, yeah that tweet brought something to my attention - what the gently caress?

I realize they killed their own top negotiator, but “intelligence agents violated orders and attacked a neutral country” is concerning.

They're just telling the yanks that they totally didn't order the attack is my read.

Ardennes posted:

Wouldn't be surprised if Russia drags this out longer than strictly necessary.

Al-Saqr posted:

i think zelenskys gonna be fine, hell either have 70% of his country to run once a peace deal is signed or hell be living in the nicest apartment in Warsaw.

If he signs away 30% of the country he'll be lucky to avoid Zolote 2: Assassination Boogaloo.

Al-Saqr posted:

So is the attack going to be into Lugansk or Russia?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

https://twitter.com/AricToler/status/1644139100407054336?s=20

Although I can't see a higher resolution image of the whole document with the KIA more favorable to Ukraine. I'm not looking into this more.

War bad folks.

:hai:

one was edited by the russians. the other by the urkainians... makes u think. maybe were not so different after all

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Also the nazis were all-in on the concept of Will, as opposed to material analysis.

So capturing Antwerp would cut off and lead to the surrender of however many corps were stuck to the North, which in turn would break the Will of the Americans to continue the war and bring them to the negotiating table at which a peace agreement would be settled.

Pretty sure some racial delusuons about how the US and the UK don't really want to be fighting fellow whites figured in here. I forget if they even thought they would then all join forces to fight the Soviets.

Ofcourse the only thing they were wrong about was that the US and the UK were resolved to fully defeat Germany first, before all joining forces to fight the Soviets. So if you squint at it they weren't even that wrong. Just underestimated I don't know, the US' and UK's pride? And overestimated their racism somehow?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

The Right Brothers presents: C-SPAM Was Right

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
They underestimated the willingness of the US/UK to unquestionably be on top and that the Germans wouldn't get a seat at the table regardless of what they did.

Granted, if it is December 1944, and your a regime that isn't going to willfully surrender, I guess you might as well throw your last armored divisions in a desperate attack even if it has a very low chance of success. (Even if the Germans had reached Antwerp, the allies absolutely outnumbered them while their flanks were exposed.)

Obviously, there are parallels today, the Ukrainians are not going to win the war, but they can't surrender either. In their eyes (and the eyes of their..."allies") it is better to at least get some press out of a major offensive than just having those weapons chewed up piecemeal over the course of a few months.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Ardennes posted:

They underestimated the willingness of the US/UK to unquestionably be on top and that the Germans wouldn't get a seat at the table regardless of what they did.

Which btw was exactly the mistake the Russians made when they decided to ditch communism.

Also I dunno, if I were a leading figure in a clearly-dying-in-the-short-term evil regime I'd probably want my armed forces to last as long as possible while going full hedonist tbh. Why throw them away in one big offensive when instead they could slowly bleed out over a couple of months, when those couple of months will incidentally extremely likely be the last couple of months of your life, and certainly the last couple of months you could party it up?

It makes more sense to me if enough of them were delusional enough to not be able to assess that they were clearly-dying-in-the-short-term.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 09:17 on Apr 7, 2023

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
its the that mitchell and webb look sketch, but he's wearing a nato uniform asking "are we the perfidious ones?"

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Orange Devil posted:

A daylight charge over the minefield. It'll be the last thing Russia will be expecting.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Orange Devil posted:

Also I dunno, if I were a leading figure in a clearly-dying-in-the-short-term evil regime I'd probably want my armed forces to last as long as possible while going full hedonist tbh. Why throw them away in one big offensive when instead they could slowly bleed out over a couple of months, when those couple of months will incidentally extremely likely be the last couple of months of your life, and certainly the last couple of months you could party it up?

It makes more sense to me if enough of them were delusional enough to not be able to assess that they were clearly-dying-in-the-short-term.

Zelensky fully expects to be president for life in exile and to be drinking boat drinks by the pool at one of his mansions. The does everything as ordered, and in this case, the West much rather have a big show for the public than just some grind. Obviously, they underspent on the fireworks, so we will have to see what he able to put on stage.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Weka posted:

If he signs away 30% of the country he'll be lucky to avoid Zolote 2: Assassination Boogaloo.

Nobody is going to sign anything. It's going back to how things used to be. Anarchy and might makes right.

You want territory? A valuable gold mine? Fertile farm lands or oil fields? Park a big army on it, tell anyone who disagrees to come and take it.

But what about the people who live there? I hear you say. Aha. The people that USED to live there.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Orange Devil posted:

Which btw was exactly the mistake the Russians made when they decided to ditch communism.

well, that and adopting a murderous system of exploitation that literally killed millions and completely impoverished the country

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

DancingShade posted:

A daylight charge over the minefield. It'll be the last thing Russia will be expecting.

Forward, the Light Brigade! Charge for the guns!

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Ardennes posted:

Zelensky fully expects to be president for life in exile and to be drinking boat drinks by the pool at one of his mansions. The does everything as ordered, and in this case, the West much rather have a big show for the public than just some grind. Obviously, they underspent on the fireworks, so we will have to see what he able to put on stage.

Yeah ok, I guess this applies more to the original nazis.

Cerebral Bore posted:

well, that and adopting a murderous system of exploitation that literally killed millions and completely impoverished the country

Well yeah, but the Russian elites who did that expected the Western elites who did the same thing would let them into their big club.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Hm. So there are supposedly some internal brigades that aren't in this list. Wouldn't this mean that we really can't draw any kind of conclusions from the lack of Ukranian sourced equipment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Orange Devil posted:

Decided does a lot of work here.