Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I discovered the other day that MSFS what making my 9900k hit the thermal limit during gaming. It's probably between my cooler not being the greatest and me potentially not mounting it properly. I was going to just re-seat it but instead got one of those Thermalrite Peerless Assassin 120 that seems to be well regarded now. I'm curious to see what it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Does anyone with the PMDG 737-900 know how to key bind the thrust reversers? I've tried to pair both my keyboard and yoke (pitch lever), and it doesn't seem to be working.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

The way I did it with the 737-600 was to bind one of the throttle side buttons to "Hold Throttle Reverse Thrust". So I pull back to idle, start holding that button, then move them back forward. There's locks on the reverser levers so you can't test full movement with the engines off, I don't think.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
If you bind a key to “decrease thrust” the engines will go to reverse after it reaches idle.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ya, mashing F2 will go into reverse thrust if you haven’t rebound it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Upgrading from the 2950X to the 7950X3D gave a massive uplift in framerate. drat is this game CPU limited.

Also, in between the updates they dicked around with controls. My F22 is twitchy AF with FBW enabled.

--edit:
lol what the hell. If I look up through the canopy, there's minor twitchy phantom control inputs, or what appears like it, and when I look down onto the MFD, it goes away. :dafuq:

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 27, 2023

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Thanks. I finally got this:

MrYenko posted:

Ya, mashing F2 will go into reverse thrust if you haven’t rebound it.

...to work.

How I found out? Shot the RNAV 23L into TYS, the A/P put me way high on landing (SP12 glitch/bug, maybe?), which normally would've been a go around but I didn't have time because of IRL stuff, so I slammed it down (and ended up overrunning the runway but, hey, "two in reverse"!)

Related, does anyone else with actual flying experience feel like a dumbass when they screw up on MSFS?

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 28, 2023

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

How I found out? Shot the RNAV 23L into TYS, the A/P put me way high on landing (SP12 glitch/bug, maybe?), on MSFS?

A lot of instrument approaches in the MSFS default nav database have the glidepath leading to the midpoint of the runway rather than the touchdown zone, so if you don't have Navigraph that might be the problem. If you do then I don't know what happened, I've done several flights in the 738 since SU12 dropped and haven't had anything like that.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Kesper North posted:

That would be A Mistake, as MWO literally ruins your mech's performance if you use a joystick.

Ask about this in the actual MWO thread to learn more!

A flight stick yes but mech piloting is intuitive and effective if you can pull off a joystick that's 100% dedicated to positional control. No springs, no detentes, just smoooooth damping that will hold position when not being moved, moves in pitch/yaw same as the mech, using absolute mouse emulation. Mine has adjustable damping mechanisms I could dial the running friction, combined with real damping grease (Nyogel 767a) you could make extremely fine inputs just as easily as huge swings.

Logged over 9000 matches in my mechpit using this joystick and always maintained a positive kd mostly running lights and meds. Because it's dedicated to positioning, this stick is (almost) as much of a shitshow in a flight sim as a flight stick is in a shooter. No one ever accused me of playing with a joystick but I got a few aimbot accusations lol. It was instantly and painfully obvious the way someone was lurching around when spectating that they were using a regular joystick though, usually in a heavy or assault cause meds and lights move way too fast for that control but there was nothing about my aim or movement with this one gave it away. I could snap my aim anywhere in the mech's range of motion and movements would start and stop just as fast as on mouse (only limited by the speed of the mech itself) because I was directly manipulating position, not using velocity commands to haphazardly drive my reticle around as if it were a tiny rc car

https://imgur.com/a/ixi64

https://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/111003-mechpit-ii-a-practical-approach/

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Now if only Asobo can figure out proper weather for flying gliders... so far soaring weather in FS20 is hot garbage and the closer I follow the situation the less it looks like they'll ever get it sorted despite the dev interview's mighty claim about beating Condor at their own game

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I flew the ILS 1 into DCA tonight and descended using the PAPI...only for me to descend through the runway lights to the unlit runway about 200 feet below. :wtc:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

CBJSprague24 posted:

I flew the ILS 1 into DCA tonight and descended using the PAPI...only for me to descend through the runway lights to the unlit runway about 200 feet below. :wtc:

Someone call John McClane!

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I've been playing the crap out of VTOL VR as of late and having a blast.

I think it was one of OperatorDrewski's videos where he mentioned that he used VTOL VR as a stepping stone into DCS and I totally see it. While I can easily start most of my DCS modules from cold/dark I've always found the weapon systems rather daunting to learn. After spending a bunch of time in VTOL VR, I want to get back into DCS and learn the systems again.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I just started doing MS flight sim tutorials on game pass and while it’s fun I’m also realizing I’m a little too dumb for this.

Is there an especially good guide for beginners besides the in game tutorials? I turned down the sensitivity a little since it was WAY too twitchy on a controller, and now I’m guessing there’s other good tweaks for softcore baby bitch newbies like me.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
It depends what you want to do, the game doesn't have any built-in objectives. If you just want to buzz around at low-levels sight seeing then spawn in-flight in your preferred airplane and go nuts. Avoid jets and airliners because they're fast and unforgiving.

If you want to be a bit more thorough about it then the in-game tutorials are decent but the choice of location is a little weird. Learning to fly at airports like Sedona located at high altitudes is going to add difficulty for Reasons and also the airport itself has some rather weird geography so besides looking pretty it wouldn't be my first choice.

Probably it's a good idea to practice flying traffic patterns, it's a bit boring but it's a time-efficient way to practice doing all the basic stuff. Load a Cessna 152 in some small airport close to sea level, make sure you set weather to Clear Skies (because if you use real-world live weather then that weather might gently caress you up pretty bad), look up YouTube resources for how to fly a traffic pattern IRL and basically follow that. Learn to Always Be Trimming and also get used to controlling climb/descent rate with the throttle and controlling speed by pitching the nose up and down. That sounds completely backwards but the airplane will be much more cooperative than it would be if you try to do it the "intuitive" way. Unfortunately a problem that MSFS has is that most of its aircraft have fancy computerized cockpits which are just going to be confusing if you're a beginner. The Cessna 152 from the in-game tutorial is slow, simple, and forgiving, so stick with that to begin with.

A game controller works. There are a bunch of options in the assistance menu that you may wish to turn on but for the love of god do not switch on anything with "AI" or "assistant" in the name because it is all completely useless. Also don't use the in-game ATC because it is completely unusable on a fundamental level.

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Apr 9, 2023

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Awesome, thank you Sapozhnik. I’ll work on that advice! You’re definitely right in that I should stick with the default 152, my experiments with other planes have been fun and chaotic but didn’t help me get any better.

It’s been great flying around and sightseeing until I go for a comical emergency landing somewhere with mixed results.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Snowy posted:

I just started doing MS flight sim tutorials on game pass and while it’s fun I’m also realizing I’m a little too dumb for this.

Is there an especially good guide for beginners besides the in game tutorials? I turned down the sensitivity a little since it was WAY too twitchy on a controller, and now I’m guessing there’s other good tweaks for softcore baby bitch newbies like me.

Depending on the level of instruction you want, check out Flight Sim Coach. It's real instructors providing training tailored to FS2020.

tima
Mar 1, 2001

No longer a newbie

Snowy posted:

They did a pretty good official flying lessons on twitch a while back if you want to check those out:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/official-twitch-flying-lessons-c152/335663

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
I really liked P Gatcomb's tutorials, he's a CFI and seems to have a video for every question I have.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Thanks guys those are great ideas I’m checking out videos now :3:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
By the way, if you want a quick and dirty procedure for landing an airplane in calm weather then here you go: (I am not a pilot, do not follow these instructions in real life)

Your objective when landing an airplane is twofold:

1. In terms of flight path you are looking to almost collide with the runway but then pull up slightly ("flare") at the last minute so that the rear wheels make contact and not the front wheels or nose. Judging the time to pull up is tricky and takes some practice, but a general rule of thumb is that you should do it slightly later than you think. Anyway, the important point is that when you are on a collision course with the runway so to speak, its position in your field of view and its proportions remain the same, but it is slowly getting bigger and bigger and expanding to fill your field of view. If it is rising and stretching in your field of view then you are going to land somewhere before the runway. If it is falling and narrowing in your field of view then you will land somewhere after it. If it is moving left or right then you are not lined up with the center line. Learning to recognize and react to these changes in the "sight picture" also takes practice.

2. Less obviously, you also want to land at the correct speed, which is going to be something close (let's say within ~15 knots to give yourself a safety margin) to your aircraft's minimum speed. A common newbie mistake is to reach the runway with an excessive air speed, at which point you encounter something called Ground Effect which causes the runway to repel your aircraft as if it is covered in opposing magnets. To complete a landing in this situation you will need to fly straight above the surface of the runway until you bleed off the excess airspeed and the ground effect disappears, chewing up valuable runway space the whole time.

We can put these goals together into the following procedure.

- Start setting up for landing somewhere around 1000 feet above ground level, or at any rate don't start from way up in the stratosphere basically. By the way your altimeter will report altitude above mean sea level, not above ground, so I'd recommend starting in the air somewhere close to JFK airport. It has lots of huge runways to pick from and it is located almost exactly at sea level, which will make things easier for a number of reasons. Since the airport is located at ~0 feet mean sea level then your altitude above sea level is more or less your height above ground in this particular situation. For other airports you will need to look up their details somewhere like skyvector.com. The "VFR Map" in the in-flight toolbar can also be a useful source of information.

- A standard landing is conducted at a three degree descent angle. There are two ways to establish this angle. One is to look at the side of the runway, often there will be four red-and-white colored lights called PAPIs or VASIs. If you see two reds and two whites then it means you are on a three degree path down to the runway. Excess reds means you are too low. Excess whites means you are too high. Or look up some cockpit landing videos to learn what visual shape a runway should have at an approach angle of three degrees.

- Decrease your speed so that you are inside the white arc in the airspeed indicator, then deploy full flaps, then decelerate to a speed that is close to the lowest speed end of the white arc. Deploying flaps will kick the nose up and reduce your air speed considerably so be ready for that. For a 152 I guess that would be around 40 knots? maybe slightly more just to be safe. Now, this is important: reduce power and pitch the nose up in combination with each other to establish the speed and descent path, but dial in the vertical speed using the throttle and dial in the approach speed by trimming the elevator up until you're doing 40 knots without having to haul back or slam forward on the yoke to keep the plane flying at the correct angle. Your nose will point slightly up but the plane will drift down, that's normal. If the runway is rising in your view, add more power. Resist the urge to pull up. If the runway is sinking in your field of view, reduce power. Resist the urge to push down. Use pitch for fine adjustments (primarily to air speed!), sure, but making major pitch up or down motions will disrupt your air speed, whereas using power to adjust sink rate will keep it under control. You must have working trim inputs on your controller and use them to establish your approach, if you do not, you will fail, this is not optional.

Do that correctly and you should cruise in over the aiming point alongside the PAPIs at a nice slow speed. Flare and cut the power and the aircraft will gently settle onto its wheels. Well, it will take a fair amount of practice to get to that point, but who cares, it's not real life.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Theris posted:

A lot of instrument approaches in the MSFS default nav database have the glidepath leading to the midpoint of the runway rather than the touchdown zone, so if you don't have Navigraph that might be the problem. If you do then I don't know what happened, I've done several flights in the 738 since SU12 dropped and haven't had anything like that.

Did the ILS 21L into DTW yesterday, and it popped me out of the clouds way the hell high, so it must be this.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I still find it upsetting that they made such a beautiful simulator and hosed up so many dog-poo poo easy elements that have been solved problems for literally decades.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

PT6A posted:

I still find it upsetting that they made such a beautiful simulator and hosed up so many dog-poo poo easy elements that have been solved problems for literally decades.

Honestly nothing speaks to me more abour FS2020 than Skyrim does in a very specific way. It gets lost when discussing it sometimes, but we got several Gamebryo games that had a very specific feel and style before Skyrim. Bethesda really insisted that they were giving us a “new engine” and what we would get was fresh and different. Instead, we really just got gamebryo Next. Fine, but ultimately a marketing lie. The same poo poo was under the hood, with all the baggage with it.

Fs2020 is the same thing. There’s so many obviously clear bones of FSX. At it’s heart, FS2020 is an entirely old rear end game. They’ve done so absolutely stellar work to make it what it is, but it’s still so utterly clear that they launched from a totally hosed start that makes me wonder if the “bones” were even worth it. Almost every complaint I have about the sim that still exists can more or less trace back to some latent bullshit from FSX.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I just want the visuals of FS2020 with the flight model and VR support of x-plane

e: all it takes is one flight in a tail dragger to see the FSX underpinnings plain as day

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Honestly nothing speaks to me more abour FS2020 than Skyrim does in a very specific way. It gets lost when discussing it sometimes, but we got several Gamebryo games that had a very specific feel and style before Skyrim. Bethesda really insisted that they were giving us a “new engine” and what we would get was fresh and different. Instead, we really just got gamebryo Next. Fine, but ultimately a marketing lie. The same poo poo was under the hood, with all the baggage with it.

Fs2020 is the same thing. There’s so many obviously clear bones of FSX. At it’s heart, FS2020 is an entirely old rear end game. They’ve done so absolutely stellar work to make it what it is, but it’s still so utterly clear that they launched from a totally hosed start that makes me wonder if the “bones” were even worth it. Almost every complaint I have about the sim that still exists can more or less trace back to some latent bullshit from FSX.

People blame it on Gamebryo, but it wasn't the engine's fault. There were decent games made with it. Bethesda just kept making the same garbage.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm hoping next month to be able to have a new PC with an RTX 4070ti, and current gen intel CPU. Looking forward to being able to play Flight Sim 2020 with max graphic settings.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The Ryzen X3D chips are the current undisputed flight simulator champs, and it's not even close. Even the year-old 5800X3D should be faster than the 13900K in these games, and the 7800X3D extends the lead even further. So go with one of those if you're mainly upgrading for FS2020 and other flight sims.

Here's Tom's Hardware's test results from their 7800X3D review:

And here's Eurogamer's using a more cpu-intensive test routine, though unfortunately with a much more limited set of CPUs:

edit: basically every review concurs with these results: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/7800x3d-performance-reviews-for-msfs/585520

AMD's X3D CPUs are the way to go if you want to maximize performance for FS2020 specifically. The 5800X3D is relatively affordable too since you can use it with cheaper AM4 motherboards and DDR4. You probably don't need anything better than that when pairing it with a 4070 Ti unless you're installing some real performance-killing mods or whatever.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Apr 19, 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

How does AMD do with other games? Flight Sim is one of my big games, but I play literally everything.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I said come in! posted:

How does AMD do with other games? Flight Sim is one of my big games, but I play literally everything.

The X3D chips are excellent for all types of games, owing to the huge L3 cache. According to nearly every review of it, the 7800X3D is now the fastest gaming CPU on the market, though not by quite as large of a margin when looking at overall margins. The 5800X3D won't beat Intel's fastest chips in most games like it does in flight simulator, but it's still quite good and a nice fit for the 4070 Ti I think. The 7900X3D and 7950X3D are mixed-use chips that should only be bought if you do core-heavy production stuff on your computer too. Here is some more general-gaming test data:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-7800x3d-cpu-review

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-7-7800x3d/20.html

https://www.techspot.com/review/2657-amd-ryzen-7800x3d/

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Apr 19, 2023

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

If you're building a general purpose gaming rig in April 2023 with anything other than an X3D, you're making a minor mistake that could maybe be handwaved with "I mostly use my computer for <productivity thing> that runs better on the CPU I picked" or "I had a bad experience with AMD in the past and I'm not comfortable with them" or whatever.

If you're building a computer in April 2023 that you plan to use specifically for MSFS more than very occasionally and you aren't using an X3D, you are making a huge mistake and there's no reasonable alternate explanation for it.

Edit: I should add that whatever scenario the tech sites use for benchmarking MSFS (I think it might be the default C172 flying over the Sahara with the external camera pointed at the sky considering the numbers some of them get) really undersells how good the X3Ds actually are for it. That ~30% advantage their benches show turns into a ~100% advantage in a high-fidelity airliner at a big airport with heavy traffic.

Theris fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Apr 19, 2023

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

e.pilot posted:

I just want the visuals of FS2020 with the flight model and VR support of x-plane

e: all it takes is one flight in a tail dragger to see the FSX underpinnings plain as day

Forward slips are what does it for me. Drag? What's that?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

You guys are making it really hard to resist upgrading to a 7800x3d. Knew I should have held out another year when moving from a 9700k to the 12700k last Feb.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I mean I would be happy with just a smooth 60fps in Flight Sim, but if the AMD CPU is the best bang for your buck for price to performance ratio, then I will go with that. Right now i'm looking at:
AMD Ryzen 9 Processor 7800X3D
2TB Kingston SNV2S/2000G SSD (PCIe Gen4) NVMe M.2
32GB (16GBx2) DDR5/6000MHz
GeForce RTX 4070 Ti

My current system:
i7-8700K
16GB RAM
RTX 2070

Flight Sim 2020 can run at a stuttery 60fps in 1080p outside of VR, and it's not really playable in VR at all, which is what I really want. FS2020 isn't worth playing outside of VR imo, the immersion is too great.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

e.pilot posted:

Agreed. As much as I enjoy FS2020, and as much as it pains me to see it bashed in such a way, it's absolutely true. As a GA geek with a penchant for taildraggers, their ground handling physics are just wrong. Granted I only have about 20hrs in actual taildraggers (a Maule MX7), tailwheels in FS2020 behave more like a steerable nosewheel with its position shifted aft. Most aircraft do not have a fully steerable tailwheel and rely on rudder and differential braking for directional control on the ground. FS2020's taildraggers feel like they're running on rails which is why they require such a drastic rudder kick when the tailwheel leaves the ground.

Even the famously docile and forgiving DC3 will wag its tail up and down the runway on takeoff and landing as soon as the tail leaves the ground. My beloved Beech 18 was historically more finicky due to its small vertical stabs, but there are conditions in which it becomes downright embarrassingly hard to control during TO or landing... and that's after 270hrs in the (virtual) aircraft and untold hundreds of landings in all conditions. :/

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

I said come in! posted:

I mean I would be happy with just a smooth 60fps in Flight Sim, but if the AMD CPU is the best bang for your buck for price to performance ratio, then I will go with that. Right now i'm looking at:
AMD Ryzen 9 Processor 7800X3D
2TB Kingston SNV2S/2000G SSD (PCIe Gen4) NVMe M.2
32GB (16GBx2) DDR5/6000MHz
GeForce RTX 4070 Ti

My current system:
i7-8700K
16GB RAM
RTX 2070

Flight Sim 2020 can run at a stuttery 60fps in 1080p outside of VR, and it's not really playable in VR at all, which is what I really want. FS2020 isn't worth playing outside of VR imo, the immersion is too great.

I went from a 9900k and 3080 which could barely maintain 27ish fps in VR to a 5800X3D with the same 3080 and I’m now at a solid 45 which gets really smooth in VR with OpenXR reprojection both machines on my reverb g2.

I did this a while back, before the 7000 x3d CPUs existed, and it was nice to not have to replace my cooler or RAM when I did the upgrade.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

GutBomb posted:

I went from a 9900k and 3080 which could barely maintain 27ish fps in VR to a 5800X3D with the same 3080 and I’m now at a solid 45 which gets really smooth in VR with OpenXR reprojection both machines on my reverb g2.

I did this a while back, before the 7000 x3d CPUs existed, and it was nice to not have to replace my cooler or RAM when I did the upgrade.

Nice! So I should be good then. Same VR headset. Especially now that Flight Sim has DLSS 3.0

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Enos Cabell posted:

You guys are making it really hard to resist upgrading to a 7800x3d. Knew I should have held out another year when moving from a 9700k to the 12700k last Feb.

i moved from a 9700k to a 12900k in december 2021, and then just bought a 7800x3d (and being back on AMD for the first time in 20 years since the very first PC i built)

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Why does every #$%^ version of Flight Simulator need like three-five years after release until CPUs are good enough to run it at reasonable frame rates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Number_6 posted:

Why does every #$%^ version of Flight Simulator need like three-five years after release until CPUs are good enough to run it at reasonable frame rates.

Pre-MS2020 25 fps was considered acceptable. Modern simmers have gotten way too demanding. You can't just jump from 25 fps 1080p to dual screen 90 fps for VR in an instant!