Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
She traded the safety of her crew for Shaw. TNG did an episode about why that's wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Typical Pubbie posted:

She traded the safety of her crew for Shaw. TNG did an episode about why that's wrong.

They do this poo poo constantly
They put the entire crew at risk and Picard even said it's entirely because Jack's his son. I hate all this family focus, it just doesn't hit with me at all and it feels anathema to the message the other shows bring. Would even Sisko have sacrificed a whole ship for Jake? I'd say no

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

John Wick of Dogs posted:

She said she won't trade lives. She doesn't have any qualms with killing, but with sacrificing people from her side to do it

Needs of the many :shrug:

If she'd kept control of the bridge, the crew would haven't been hunted down in the corridors for sport.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
It wouldn't bother me so much if the crew of the Titan were given things to do besides getting killed off. Put them on a planet where they get to wave their tricorders around and say, "Commander, look at this!" Put them in the background of the ship's lounge while Seven orders a raktajino. Having them exist only to be tormented and/or vaporized by the bad guys due to the incompetence of the primary characters is just awful.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Taear posted:

They do this poo poo constantly
They put the entire crew at risk and Picard even said it's entirely because Jack's his son. I hate all this family focus, it just doesn't hit with me at all and it feels anathema to the message the other shows bring. Would even Sisko have sacrificed a whole ship for Jake? I'd say no

Was Jake a crucial part of a plot to kill a ton more people?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Was Jake a crucial part of a plot to kill a ton more people?

Do we know if Jack is?
The answer is "No we have no loving idea what he's doing or what they want him for or why he exists at all"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Taear posted:

Do we know if Jack is?
The answer is "No we have no loving idea what he's doing or what they want him for or why he exists at all"

The talking head and Vadic only wanted good things to happen at Frontier Day.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I mean picard hasn't seen the head at all?
Especially not at that point, we don't know poo poo by that point. He's actively sacrificing the entire crew for just his son

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Taear posted:

I mean picard hasn't seen the head at all?
Especially not at that point, we don't know poo poo by that point. He's actively sacrificing the entire crew for just his son

Picard has seen Vadic ranting about killing people and destroying the Federation. He knows there's a scheme for Frontier Day. He knows they want Jack for that. And given the actions of the rogue changelings so far, why would you assume they would even let the rest of the crew live if they got Jack?

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

As time went on, handing Jack over to Vadic was an increasingly bad idea. However in the early episodes where they just know that Vadic is a bounty hunter and Jack is wanted for various crimes, Picard's justification for risking the crew because "he's my son" and "needs a proper trial" is kind of weak.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
RIP Vadic’s changeling hand, I am excited to never learn what the hell was going on with that

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I thought it was weird that they felt the need to waste time spelling out that no, Data had won actually. I kinda figured that was the idea going in- he would surrender to Lore and be enough of Lore's personality anyway through absorption that the resultant would be a being with a sense of morality and purpose but, Matalas couldn't leave well enough alone and had to assume the viewer was an absolute imbecile.

What happened was fine, but, I don't know, the writing just can't get out of its own way. loving Solids was a great line read, though i kinda feel the other profanity tended to be out of place. I also think making GBS threads on the best part of Picard S1 was really odd.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Eighties ZomCom posted:

As time went on, handing Jack over to Vadic was an increasingly bad idea. However in the early episodes where they just know that Vadic is a bounty hunter and Jack is wanted for various crimes, Picard's justification for risking the crew because "he's my son" and "needs a proper trial" is kind of weak.

Exactly

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Behind The Red Door are party favors for everyone in the Federation

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Tars Tarkas posted:

just blow up the ship instead of downloading the computer and finding who they are talking to/the plans

Raffi downloaded it while having a few brief "Strange day, huh?" type lines with Deanna Troi.

You'd think inspecting it would've been urgent. It ruins the denouement, but the Crusher thing already did. I guess opening a new can of worms doesn't fit the time limits, though, and it'd take some time to analyze it

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 7, 2023

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Big bad is sentient paper mache Picard from Picard Day

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

I’m left with two questions about the red door: who cares what’s behind it and why open it?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
They need to know why the Changelings wanted their special boy.

Speaking of, why don't the Changelings actually, y'know, change? It would be a much better move than standing there while someone blasts you into space, for instance.

I get that it was probably a CG issue for DS9 and they gave Odo some valid reasons but why even have the villains be Changelings if they're not shapeshifting on the reg?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

SuperTeeJay posted:

I’m left with two questions about the red door: who cares what’s behind it and why open it?

It’s the other side of the big unexplained space thing the NuBorg had the entire federation combine their shields to counteract. That’s why the ships all have to come together for Frontier Day, everyone’s favourite holiday.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Speaking of, why don't the Changelings actually, y'know, change? It would be a much better move than standing there while someone blasts you into space, for instance.

I get that it was probably a CG issue for DS9 and they gave Odo some valid reasons but why even have the villains be Changelings if they're not shapeshifting on the reg?

Why are they weird bird aliens but vadic isn't
I mean I know the BUDGET answer but at least make it make sense in the story

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

The red angel is behind the red door.

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

Redjack is behind the red door

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

All the red shirts who ever died are behind the red door

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Armus. Is it Armus? It's Armus. That's what Deanna senses.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

If this were Lord of the Rings we would be halfway into Return of the King and interrupting the Battle of Pelenor Fields every two minutes to show Frodo looking confused, seeing a flaming eye, etc., but not once has the story mentioned Sauron or what Frodo is carrying into Mordor. Also, Sam is there and had no idea Frodo was having these problems until a few scenes earlier. Also, Saruman is Vadic I guess, except he builds an army of Uruk Hai just because.

"Do you know how the orcs first came into being?" Saruman asks. Music crescendoes, smash cut to credits for a cliffhanger.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

All they had to do was make up something like after the stabilizing procedure the first solid form they take becomes their default and taking any other solid shape, including their gelatinous "resting" state takes effort and is uncomfortable. Vadic became her torturer and the rest of them became the crew of the shrike to steal it.

Tie it in to Vadic's desire for revenge. The only way to not be in constant pain is to wear the face of the person that took everything from her.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I feel at this point, handface and Jack's superpowers have to be linked somehow. Otherwise we have two totally unconnected threads flapping about.

Given the past 2.8 seasons of the show, it wouldn't surprise me if they weren't.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
This was a thrilling episode, and sorta an all in one bite experience. The nostalgia is soothing, and the love, and the bravery, camaraderie, all the good things, that we would like to have in current events. Plus a loving last look at some fitting ideals.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Why am I watching a show that has me yelling “gently caress you” at my screen at least twice per episode

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Because it's so well executed and addictive as a drama show.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Chinston Wurchill posted:

There was a whole episode about a changeling who took the form of a space whale and lived in space for a while.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

If this were Lord of the Rings we would be halfway into Return of the King and interrupting the Battle of Pelenor Fields every two minutes to show Frodo looking confused, seeing a flaming eye, etc., but not once has the story mentioned Sauron or what Frodo is carrying into Mordor. Also, Sam is there and had no idea Frodo was having these problems until a few scenes earlier. Also, Saruman is Vadic I guess, except he builds an army of Uruk Hai just because.

"Do you know how the orcs first came into being?" Saruman asks. Music crescendoes, smash cut to credits for a cliffhanger.

Super Deuce posted:

Imagine if you were watching Lord of the Rings and you didn’t learn that Aragorn is Isildur’s heir until halfway through Return of the King. Not only that, but you also didn’t know why that would even matter. What if you had no clue that the ring was Sauron’s “essence”. Then when Sam and Frodo get to the base of Mount Doom, Frodo accidentally slips the ring on and realizing that it was actually evil the whole time. Honestly those examples aren’t even as bad as this trash storytelling is.

:)

But really, Terry Matalas has no clue how to establish the stakes of a story. At this point in the season we're no more informed than we were at the start. Through 8 hours of a 10 hour story nothing has been shown to actually progress the overarching thread. We should have known the deal with Jack by the end of episode 3 at the latest.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Aw crap, sorry, dude. I knew I should have known my idea wasn't original.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Aw poo poo, I figured it out. They're gonna transfer irumodic syndrome to everyone in starfleet, just as Soji and her golem civilization pop in happily to tell folks that everyone can get a robot body, with 5 minutes left in episode ten. The changelings say ah well, nevertheless.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Khanstant posted:

The nostalgia is soothing, and the love, and the bravery, camaraderie, all the good things, that we would like to have in current events. Plus a loving last look at some fitting ideals.

I too love the warm nostalgia of trapped nameless crew members getting slaughtered in the hallways followed by a long drawn-out execution scene. But, you know, we shoehorned the ol' gang around a conference table again. D'aww.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Okay, my theory is the space crud Picard's great-great whatever lady found on the moon infected her brain and became intelligent and passed down the generations to try to take over the Federation but instead it would just make the Picard family member crazy or alzheimers when it manifested, but now Jack has it perfected due to Beverly's super genius son genes. This has to ignore that it was Picard's mom that was crazy while the ancestor was on the dad's side but I bet they ignore it anyway or it becomes canon that Picard is inbred.

Or it's that memory virus from Voyager's Star Trek 6 episode but mean mad

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

But seriously, it's going to be Gul Dukat as a Pah Wraith. You know, a thing Picard had deep ties to and the fans have always craved and the show will expect us to accept despite eight episodes of not even teasing it.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

“Computer, locate Jack Crusher.”

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

*quietly, to riker* will, do you remember when the admiralty signed off on enhanced interrogation of the wormhole aliens the bajorans thought were gods? I may have committed a little... Light torture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Hand Face is Jack Crusher's suppressed dark side

Picard will have to talk Jack down from destroying Starfleet