Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

officially a 'videogame' now that i have added the most important element: skeletons

https://twitter.com/bonerman_inc/status/1642448047639789569

The red/white blinking as you take damage from the flying bone is a bit much though.
Perhaps you could add in an option where taking or doing damage is displayed without screen shaking and with a static white or red indicator instead of a blinking one?
Or even a white impact icon above the enemy's head and then just your character turning static red for x seconds when damaged and still immune to subsequent hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Hammer Bro. posted:

Dawn of the final day. I've significantly updated the rules for Ace Pilot (thanks, Superrodan). So many more pictures.

Still gotta get one more art drawn and we'll see if I have the energy for another video.

We played this on the jam livestream yesterday and had a great time! A bit of a learning curve but you can see how I said “one more round” about four times before actually moving on to the next game: https://youtu.be/KfqvrWItgNk

Watching us play might help you find things to tweak; very solid entry all around and I’d love to see you take it further.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

SerthVarnee posted:

The red/white blinking as you take damage from the flying bone is a bit much though.
Perhaps you could add in an option where taking or doing damage is displayed without screen shaking and with a static white or red indicator instead of a blinking one?

Yep! already have settings for screenshake and hit flash effects. I think this was something I actually asked you about too (earlier in the thread though, I had a concern about hit flashing on larger enemies). I should probably add a setting for the player's visibility/flickering too and not just the hit flash

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Xibanya posted:

We played this on the jam livestream yesterday and had a great time! A bit of a learning curve but you can see how I said “one more round” about four times before actually moving on to the next game: https://youtu.be/KfqvrWItgNk

Watching us play might help you find things to tweak; very solid entry all around and I’d love to see you take it further.

Thanks so much.

I'm trying to find a little more time to review others' entries before the deadline ends but I showed it off at a soup party yesterday and it works surprisingly well as a social single-player game.

Looking forward to the video.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Crossposting from the coding thread:

KillHour posted:

I've gotten far enough that I feel like I have something worth sharing. It's pretty dumb - it's just linearly interpolating between completely random mashups of SDF functions without any kind of reactivity or control, but I think this is something I can build on, and I think the stupid amount of effort to kludge the shaders into doing what I want will be worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea5FPpOyL-U

I think this one should be fine for SerthVarnee to look at because it doesn't flash or have super fast movement, but please let me know if I'm wrong.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I got this poo poo hooked up to my audio capture engine because I was desperate to see it working properly after all the headache (story in the other thread if you want to watch me go slowly insane smashing bugs). The animation and color systems are both very, very crude... but I think this is genuinely the coolest thing I've ever made.

Epilepsy warning for this one - there's some fast-ish movement.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53-Y7I6Id20

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

KillHour posted:

I got this poo poo hooked up to my audio capture engine because I was desperate to see it working properly after all the headache (story in the other thread if you want to watch me go slowly insane smashing bugs). The animation and color systems are both very, very crude... but I think this is genuinely the coolest thing I've ever made.

Epilepsy warning for this one - there's some fast-ish movement.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53-Y7I6Id20

This is great, I play around with video synthesizers all the time. I've probably got half a dozen or so now, here's me running a SNES with a romhack through a bunch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MEN1vBduM4

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

KillHour posted:

I think this one should be fine for SerthVarnee to look at because it doesn't flash or have super fast movement, but please let me know if I'm wrong.

I got about half a second in and then I stopped it again because my epilepsy has progressed to the point where I cannot deal with rhythmic moving and shape-changing forms/colors.
Happy to hear there are no flashing stuff, but this type of movement is no longer compatible with me.

You are basically covered from the point of epilepsy accessibility by putting up a disclaimer front and center, saying: "Stop! Do not go past this point if you suffer from Photo Sensitive Epilepsy. The entirety of this program is incompatible with your condition or has the risk of becoming so if your epilepsy condition worsens."

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

SerthVarnee posted:

I got about half a second in and then I stopped it again because my epilepsy has progressed to the point where I cannot deal with rhythmic moving and shape-changing forms/colors.
Happy to hear there are no flashing stuff, but this type of movement is no longer compatible with me.

You are basically covered from the point of epilepsy accessibility by putting up a disclaimer front and center, saying: "Stop! Do not go past this point if you suffer from Photo Sensitive Epilepsy. The entirety of this program is incompatible with your condition or has the risk of becoming so if your epilepsy condition worsens."

I'll make sure to tag anything I post like that. Sorry to hear it's getting worse :(

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
That's the ride I signed up for when I started testing. Every seizure is a permanent escalator in the ease of triggering the next seizure, the severity of the next seizure and the recovery time after the next seizure.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Chainclaw posted:

This is great, I play around with video synthesizers all the time. I've probably got half a dozen or so now, here's me running a SNES with a romhack through a bunch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MEN1vBduM4

This is really cool. I think my big problem with all the current video synth stuff is it doesn't compose super well. You did a really good job mashing stuff together without looking out of place, but I can't tell you how many big EDM acts I've seen where their visuals are obviously just prerendered looping animations with a semitransparent fractal pasted on top.

I'm hoping to make a framework where anything can be seamlessly transitioned to anything else without looking samey or janky. I know that's a pretty lofty goal, but I'm excited about it.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
Is there a way to put inline images in Unity text fields?

I wanted to enhance my tutorials with some glyphs, sort of like this: https://imgur.com/a/CCrVSCx

LoboFlex
Aug 26, 2004

oh, okay
Are you using TextMesh Pro?

The tutorials are starting to get kinda old, but things haven't changed a lot on this front as far as I know, so they should still be valid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srmg9EWpZ0E

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Currently I'm not, but would changing to TMP require a lot of effort?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

dhamster posted:

Currently I'm not, but would changing to TMP require a lot of effort?

No. You just need to change references to serialized UnityEngine.Text to TMP_Text

And change every single text element in your game (or at least the ones you care about, at minimum)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

TMP makes it easy to change fonts which alone is enough to never use the default text.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Definitely switch over to TMP as soon as possible. It's basically the standard for unity nowadays, i think it even comes bundled by default with newer editor versions iirc

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Getting input glyphs into your text is certainly doable, but it takes a fair amount of setup, especially if you want to be able to support a wide range of input devices instead of e.g. just Xbox gamepad glyphs. I did it for Waves of Steel, and took notes because it was way more work than I expected, going in. The big problem boils down to that when Unity auto-slices a sprite sheet into individual sprites, it doesn't give those sprites sensible names, and I didn't want to have to manually rename every sprite (especially if I anticipated adding support for more controllers in the future). So I needed a way to automatically name the sprites with sensible names, so that I could use those names when inserting image tags into my TextMeshPro text objects.

Here's what I wrote down at the time, extracted from a readme file I left for myself. It relies on Free Texture Packer, Git Bash, ImageMagick, Perl, and Python, so you'll need all of those installed.

OK, for posterity's sake, here's my complete process.
  • Download button prompts asset pack.
  • In Git Bash, run find . -name "*png" | perl -ne 'chomp; `magick.exe convert "$_" -fill "#00000001" -opaque "#00000000" "$_"`' to make fully-transparent pixels instead be very very slightly non-transparent (requires ImageMagick). If you don't do this then Unity's auto-slicer will chop up some sprites into multiple sub-sprites because they contain multiple disconnected components.
  • Use Free Texture Packer to make a couple of atlases (the images don't all fit into a single 2048x2048 atlas, and larger ones may not work on all systems). Make sure to set the padding to 1, or at any rate, something bigger than 0. Advise manually adding each folder instead of adding the entire "Button prompts" directory, so that the exported JSON file has shorter paths.
  • In Unity, import the atlases. Change their texture type to "Sprite (2D and UI)" and their sprite mode to "Multiple". Click the "Sprite Editor" button, go to Slice, use the default automatic settings. Click "Slice", then "Apply" in the top right.
  • In Git Bash, run this Python script to update the Unity .meta file for each atlas file. For example, ~/Anaconda/python.exe yamlparse.py atlas-0.png.meta atlas-0.json. It changes the sprite's name based on the JSON output by Free Texture Packer.
  • In Unity, select an atlas file, right click -> Create -> TextMesh Pro -> Sprite Asset.
  • If you have multiple atlases, choose one as the primary, and add the others to its "Fallback Sprite Assets" section.
  • In Unity in the project view, find TextMesh Pro/TMP Settings, go to Default Sprite Asset, set it to that primary atlas.

NB I also trimmed the icons prior to replacing transparent. And I had to set the padding in Free Texture Packer to 2, not 1.

NOTE: you can't just recreate a Sprite Asset on top of the existing one. Delete it, make a new one, then set the new one as the default in TMP's settings asset.

We may someday want to look into this:
https://gist.github.com/MattRix/2dd0d0f79bdd6a60541ea9387c803f59
but would need to track down the author to get licensing info first. Twitter?

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
I have the sudden urge to post this video tweet for you lot.

https://twitter.com/merylkevans/status/1643366339409584132

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

SerthVarnee posted:

You see these captions all the time now. But the reason for them isn't accessibility - it's because people scrolling through social media feeds often see the videos on mute and the captions are to grab their attention and make them stop to watch the video.

I'm not saying that's a good thing, just pointing out that they are effective at what they are designed to do, so they probably aren't going anywhere. It's a good video though - there are probably people copying the style thinking they're improving accessibility, when they really aren't.

Edit: I feel bad saying that. I want to say that I really appreciate your voice coming in and encouraging people to do better to be accessible to others. As people making things for other people (presumably - I will probably never release anything because I'm bad at it :v:), it is good to have a broad understanding of accessibility. But - and this might just be me being jaded - I don't think ignorance is the reason we don't have more accessible media. Even the comments on the video are largely "I think the ones on the right look better."

I don't want to discourage you from posting more of it though! It's really enlightening. I guess I just feel bad because the kind of activism you're doing is really hard. It seems like a Sisyphean task.

Double Edit: To not be completely depressing, I wanted to mention that I've been learning Japanese and playing through some games in Japanese to get better at reading, and I've found that accessibility options are really important, so I've been seeking out games that have them. Even simple stuff like "don't advance the dialog until I press a button" or "support screen readers so I can copy text from the screen" are huge. Also, text size. You don't realize how small the text you normally read is until you try to read text in non-roman characters and can't make out the shapes anymore.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 6, 2023

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

leper khan posted:

No. You just need to change references to serialized UnityEngine.Text to TMP_Text

And change every single text element in your game (or at least the ones you care about, at minimum)

So if I just need TMP for this text box I can replace my tutorial text with a TMP text component, and leave everything else as the old legacy UI text?

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

SerthVarnee posted:

KillHour posted:

You see these captions all the time now. But the reason for them isn't accessibility - it's because people scrolling through social media feeds often see the videos on mute and the captions are to grab their attention and make them stop to watch the video.

I'm not saying that's a good thing, just pointing out that they are effective at what they are designed to do, so they probably aren't going anywhere. It's a good video though - there are probably people copying the style thinking they're improving accessibility, when they really aren't.

This is just the unnecessary opinion of a random person on the internet (me), but as a person who doesn't need captions but frequently uses them if available, I overwhelmingly prefer the simple usual "sentence piece" style on the left. If you cut the stylizing down on the right-side ones I can see a use in pacing for dramatic/comedic timing, but for me you can already get that by...

...doing this.

It's not like I want the captions to grab my attention anyways, most of my focus is on what's in the center of the screen. If I have to sit here and catch each word individually, it's going to be a lot harder to pay attention to what's going on. I imagine it's not as if forcing the pacing does anything to help those with different reading speeds anyways- readers slower than it will fall behind and miss it, readers faster than it will just get annoyed (me).

(I'm no expert on the subject, maybe the pacing actually works for some people, so feel free to correct me on that if you do know.)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

dhamster posted:

So if I just need TMP for this text box I can replace my tutorial text with a TMP text component, and leave everything else as the old legacy UI text?

Correct. They both have a .text property that changes the string contents. If you need to change other things like font style or alignment, property names/types will change, so TMPText isn't a completely drop-in replacement. But it's pretty painless, and most of the changes are because TMP is just so much more capable than legacy text is.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

KillHour posted:

I don't want to discourage you from posting more of it though! It's really enlightening. I guess I just feel bad because the kind of activism you're doing is really hard. It seems like a Sisyphean task.

Well in that case, I have just the video for you.
I got invited to do another "panel" discussion at the DigiPen Colloquium, where I got to be the only panel member facing off against a bunch of students. I was told in advance that the number of students was going to be somewhere in the ballpark of "maybe some of the students in this specific class" and "it is open to the entire university so theoretically you could be entertaining all of campus". As you'll see, we ended up with around 20 people participating.

Everyone seemed to really appreciate my late O'clock babbling, so now you get the chance to do the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxl1IceCUAo

The session host unfortunately forgot to press record until the end of my introduction speech, but in my opinion that is just fine, since I spent that time talking about myself and not the subject that matters.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Odd Wilson posted:

This is just the unnecessary opinion of a random person on the internet (me), but as a person who doesn't need captions but frequently uses them if available, I overwhelmingly prefer the simple usual "sentence piece" style on the left. If you cut the stylizing down on the right-side ones I can see a use in pacing for dramatic/comedic timing, but for me you can already get that by...

...doing this.

It's not like I want the captions to grab my attention anyways, most of my focus is on what's in the center of the screen. If I have to sit here and catch each word individually, it's going to be a lot harder to pay attention to what's going on. I imagine it's not as if forcing the pacing does anything to help those with different reading speeds anyways- readers slower than it will fall behind and miss it, readers faster than it will just get annoyed (me).

(I'm no expert on the subject, maybe the pacing actually works for some people, so feel free to correct me on that if you do know.)

Maybe I should clarify what I meant - the captions aren't meant to be easy to read or for you to like them. They're meant to stand out in your endless feed so you watch the video. The people making them only care that you click (or at least don't keep scrolling), and those captions work at getting more people to do so.

SerthVarnee posted:

I got invited to do another "panel" discussion at the DigiPen Colloquium, where I got to be the only panel member facing off against a bunch of students. I was told in advance that the number of students was going to be somewhere in the ballpark of "maybe some of the students in this specific class" and "it is open to the entire university so theoretically you could be entertaining all of campus". As you'll see, we ended up with around 20 people participating.

Everyone seemed to really appreciate my late O'clock babbling, so now you get the chance to do the same.

The session host unfortunately forgot to press record until the end of my introduction speech, but in my opinion that is just fine, since I spent that time talking about myself and not the subject that matters.

I will definitely check this out.

CH Science
Sep 11, 2019

Just gonna dump a bunch of progress videos here because I feel like I've gotten a bunch done lately.

Made a launcher that can auto-update the game by pulling down new .pck files that get generated by my build and stored in an S3 bucket (and won't let you play if an update is available you haven't gotten yet):

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/642431754959061002/1093621795761963099/launcher.mp4

Added some progress bars to the main menu when searching for a match and waiting for a server to spin up so it feels like it takes a little bit less than forever to get into the game. Related to this: Trimming down my server image (and switching to apline instead of ubuntu images) brought spin-up time to under 30 seconds, which is a huge improvement to the 2 minutes+ that it was before

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/642431754959061002/1082878729572843620/progress2.mp4

Slapped that little dojo into my test map and made it so the players get locked in together if they're ever in it at the same time

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/642431754959061002/1082412334863097946/showdown.mp4

Added basic controller support because I got a steam deck so of course. Also kinda shown here: I'm quite happy with how the client-side prediction and projectile synchronization is working. The main PC and the deck in this vid are connected to a live server out on us-east-1

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/642431754959061002/1093625711916482590/dack.mp4

Spent some time messing around trying to make explosions actually do things. Works great for these stupid little rigidbody boxes, not so much for other players yet

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/642431754959061002/1093367369180655716/boom.mp4

CH Science fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 6, 2023

al-azad
May 28, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Getting input glyphs into your text is certainly doable, but it takes a fair amount of setup, especially if you want to be able to support a wide range of input devices instead of e.g. just Xbox gamepad glyphs. I did it for Waves of Steel, and took notes because it was way more work than I expected, going in. The big problem boils down to that when Unity auto-slices a sprite sheet into individual sprites, it doesn't give those sprites sensible names, and I didn't want to have to manually rename every sprite (especially if I anticipated adding support for more controllers in the future). So I needed a way to automatically name the sprites with sensible names, so that I could use those names when inserting image tags into my TextMeshPro text objects.

Here's what I wrote down at the time, extracted from a readme file I left for myself. It relies on Free Texture Packer, Git Bash, ImageMagick, Perl, and Python, so you'll need all of those installed.

OK, for posterity's sake, here's my complete process.
  • Download button prompts asset pack.
  • In Git Bash, run find . -name "*png" | perl -ne 'chomp; `magick.exe convert "$_" -fill "#00000001" -opaque "#00000000" "$_"`' to make fully-transparent pixels instead be very very slightly non-transparent (requires ImageMagick). If you don't do this then Unity's auto-slicer will chop up some sprites into multiple sub-sprites because they contain multiple disconnected components.
  • Use Free Texture Packer to make a couple of atlases (the images don't all fit into a single 2048x2048 atlas, and larger ones may not work on all systems). Make sure to set the padding to 1, or at any rate, something bigger than 0. Advise manually adding each folder instead of adding the entire "Button prompts" directory, so that the exported JSON file has shorter paths.
  • In Unity, import the atlases. Change their texture type to "Sprite (2D and UI)" and their sprite mode to "Multiple". Click the "Sprite Editor" button, go to Slice, use the default automatic settings. Click "Slice", then "Apply" in the top right.
  • In Git Bash, run this Python script to update the Unity .meta file for each atlas file. For example, ~/Anaconda/python.exe yamlparse.py atlas-0.png.meta atlas-0.json. It changes the sprite's name based on the JSON output by Free Texture Packer.
  • In Unity, select an atlas file, right click -> Create -> TextMesh Pro -> Sprite Asset.
  • If you have multiple atlases, choose one as the primary, and add the others to its "Fallback Sprite Assets" section.
  • In Unity in the project view, find TextMesh Pro/TMP Settings, go to Default Sprite Asset, set it to that primary atlas.

NB I also trimmed the icons prior to replacing transparent. And I had to set the padding in Free Texture Packer to 2, not 1.

NOTE: you can't just recreate a Sprite Asset on top of the existing one. Delete it, make a new one, then set the new one as the default in TMP's settings asset.

We may someday want to look into this:
https://gist.github.com/MattRix/2dd0d0f79bdd6a60541ea9387c803f59
but would need to track down the author to get licensing info first. Twitter?

brain_shortcircuit

I think i'm just going to make a series of generic Joycon sprites and call it a day. Everybody knows the bottom button of a diamond is A or X or B whatever

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

KillHour posted:

Maybe I should clarify what I meant - the captions aren't meant to be easy to read or for you to like them. They're meant to stand out in your endless feed so you watch the video. The people making them only care that you click (or at least don't keep scrolling), and those captions work at getting more people to do so.

Oh, no, I understood that. It's just an engagement technique with a number of people on the outside mistaking it for actual accessibility. I was just adding my piece to the "don't make your captions like this, please" pile.

Hell, this style of captions is more likely to make me scroll past than anything, but apparently it works on people somehow. I barely touch social media outlets anyways, so I'm not the demographic it's swinging for.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

al-azad posted:

brain_shortcircuit

I think i'm just going to make a series of generic Joycon sprites and call it a day. Everybody knows the bottom button of a diamond is A or X or B whatever

Just so we're clear, I could have replaced a lot of this with:

1. Make a separate sprite sheet for each gamepad I want to support.
2. Slice them in Unity.
3. Manually rename the sprites.
4. Make a sprite asset for each sheet.
5. Make them all fallbacks of the "root" TMP sprite asset.

But I didn't like item 3 there.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

KillHour posted:

That's super cool, great idea!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Been doing a lot of basic bugfixing as I try to add functionalities and realize problems my code had. Now picking up and equipping weapons *actually* works (i was pointing to the wrong array and didn't notice at first because the numbers were the same), and shooting enemies makes them aware of you.

Contentato
Jan 19, 2023

yay [short tooting]
I put up a new promo for my game this morning. The content is based on real life events, that is, my brother plays the game a lot. I'm approaching a year out from publishing and had to decide if I was going to try marketing harder or let some of my store listings expire. Decided on marketing!

What do y'all think? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpMsT1aZQAg

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Marketing is hard! And trailer-making takes a lot of practice. You have a fair amount of work to do on this one, I'm afraid. I dropped out of that video after 30 seconds, which is at least 20 seconds longer than I would expect the average viewer to stick around. A few notes:

- You have to hook the viewer ASAP. Show them why they should care. They don't care about you personally, how long you spent making the game, what your studio is called, etc. Get their attention, give them a reason to stick around.
- You gotta get a better voiceover. Do it yourself instead of using a machine. Nobody likes to hear their own voice played back at them, but I guarantee you sound fine (...uh, assuming you aren't mute, at least), and you'll emote way better than the robot will. Or hire a professional voiceover; they're honestly not that expensive.
- Juice your game's visuals. Add some particle effects, gentle animations, etc. You don't need to turn it into a Vlambeer game, but more feedback will make the game more satisfying and will also make it into a more interesting video.
- Is this a mobile game? Remember the display you expect people to watch this video on. You showed some screens with tiny text. I can't read that. Actually, showing text to communicate something in a trailer is a dodgy prospect altogether. If you must, rig an SMS conversation with your brother instead where he complains about spending too much time playing your game. People are familiar with how to read those already.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Apr 7, 2023

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Tann posted:

That's super cool, great idea!

Thanks!

The downsides of the idea seem to be that every time I add another function, compile times get exponentially worse (it's up to about 4 minutes after I added a bunch of stuff last night), and performance on my 3090 is starting to dip under 60 @ 1080p for some effects involving simplex noise. I have a few things I can try to speed it up but ugh. GPUs really really hate function calls.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Contentato posted:

I put up a new promo for my game this morning. The content is based on real life events, that is, my brother plays the game a lot. I'm approaching a year out from publishing and had to decide if I was going to try marketing harder or let some of my store listings expire. Decided on marketing!

What do y'all think? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpMsT1aZQAg

It’s not bad but not great either. I would release it now though (put it on Tiktok!) and then work on making the game appear more juicy and do another trailer in a month or two. Nicer visuals, more bang and boom on the effects (both visual and audio) and then for the next clip make the tempo tighter. Get to the gameplay sooner, preferably immediately. Show a basic move or two and then a huge combo which rewards the player and the viewer with greater fireworks and fanfare. Half of the clip is spent on the brother story which IMO can work but the idea needs to be squeezed down into 10 seconds. The gameplay itself does look fun and as a concept the template of quickly explaining what the game is about and how works is a keeper.

Edit: I would be REALLY tempted to reconsider the name of the game too. I’d unashamedly put ”poker” somewhere in the title for app store search optimization. You want everyone searching for poker to stumble upon the game!

j.peeba fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Apr 7, 2023

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

SerthVarnee posted:

any feedback on that video? I went through the worst seizure I've had in 24 years yesterday and I could really use some positivity related to my epilepsy work right now.

To explain this one a bit more:
two neurologists each posted an animation. First one was a CGI of brain activity in a patient having an epileptic seizure (or at least, that was the context in which the gif was posted). That one was uncomfortable but doable.
I did write her a message asking her to dial it back a bit with the flashing lights.
Second one was a horrendous sparkling purple background that she was really exited about having as a background in something. The rest of the words were too close to the animation for me to be able to comprehend.
I also wrote her a message telling her that this was a seizure trigger if ever I saw one.
Then I did something really stupid.
I'd asked a friend to archive them both so I could write an article about them today, but she was having some trouble finding them
so I went in and checked my replies section on twitter
and got to see both gifs in rapid succession
managed to link them to her and then I spent the next 2 hours looking like a stroke victim, completely pale, jaw hanging open, dead eye stare, hands and arms shaking uncontrollably, everything from the hip down feeling like it had an average temperature of 5 degrees.
took me 4 hours before I could finally close my mouth (which is oddly fitting for me)
I ended up doing a video call with two other friends just to have witnesses/someone to keep me company
and I sat there staying at my own video feed, unable to recognize the person my camera was displaying
saying more than 3 words in a row to them took enough work to force tears to start rolling

SerthVarnee fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Apr 8, 2023

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Metos posted:

Yeah look that's a pretty reasonable request

Does this embed the video like a twitter post does? Let's find out
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1369720/Innchanted

edit: nope here's the current trailer too, new one drops at the launch!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlaFsTyE870

So I took a look at your trailer and I'm wondering if you've included an option to turn off the flashier spell effects? lots of swirling and lots of flashing colors are a bit of a hindrance to me these days.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm on a trip out of the country so I haven't had a chance to check it out. That said, from your description, I think it might be wise to talk to a doctor about the episode (if you haven't already). I hate to say this, but it sounds like you're moving from "this is uncomfortable" to "this is a serious risk to your life."

Just from a liability standpoint, I think it's probably risky to add any options that imply it makes the game safer for photosensitive people. What if you miss something and someone has an episode with it on? It seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen. (Not a lawyer, obviously)

KillHour fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Apr 8, 2023

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Liability wise you should still be completely covered with that "may or may not kill you during any part of playtime, photosensitive mode is not guaranteed to be perfect, may cause cancer in California".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm definitely putting a notice that my game may cause cancer in California