Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
there's no wrong way to play a videogame but that's the closest I've seen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I play almost exclusively turn-based or management games and I can't imagine how 10 minutes of playing a game with cheats enabled to test and figure out a mechanic would ruin a game so I don't get it :shrug: Not like I'm out here playing Turok at 4x speed

Orv
May 4, 2011
It just seems obtuse? Like if a game has literally no tutorialization whatsoever, in-game or diagetic or anything then sure, I guess? But “I cheat to skip tutorials and then turn on god mode to figure out the tutorials I skipped” is uh, honestly pretty weird.

E: And fully granted a lot of tutorials suck, especially in the management genre but yeah I dunno.

Orv fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 7, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

That's a bizarre take on it. Tutorials in games are generally long, handholdy and full of things that feel patronizing as someone who's been playing games for 30+ years. If I find myself wondering "Hmm, I wonder if I could build a metal foundry on that terrain after clearing the trees" I'd rather just try it and then cheat back the money I spent on clearing the trees if I can't, rather than exit out of the game and start the tutorial and play through 10+ minutes of it hunting for that one piece of info about whether metal foundries can be built on sand or whatever.

But I always forget to mention that I play weird games when I say things like that and I can see how it would be true of like, a FPS or whatever

e: A better example would be that, generally speaking, the first time I play a city builder I will cheat in a bunch of money and unlock all the research so that I can just explore how the buildings and services and mechanics work, then I re-start and play for real, because I learn faster and commit to memory better by interacting with the buildings than I ever would from a tutorial that leads me through building each one one-by-one. It's like, 5 minutes of messing around in-game, vs. 15+ minutes of reading text prompts and being shoehorned into following specific directions.

e2: I also have extremely bad ADHD and can't pay attention to a tutorial for longer than about 4 minutes :v:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 7, 2023

Orv
May 4, 2011
No I get the impetus and don’t necessarily disagree I just guess I’ve never been like, Kingdom Hearts level offended by a tutorial to that degree in those genres.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
It makes sense to me. Tutorials are about "easing" you into a game's systems, but some folks just want to play with the systems as they are in a sandbox to figure them out.

I'd guess I'm kind of similar in the the old days I would read a manual cover-to-cover before ever stating a game, so I had a general awareness of the systems from the start. Modern games tend not to work that way (or have manuals) but I'll still consult guides or whatever until I feel like I have the same level of familiarity whether it's actually needed or not.

Orv
May 4, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

e2: I also have extremely bad ADHD and can't pay attention to a tutorial for longer than about 4 minutes :v:

This I will definitely not give you any grief for. :v:

I was thinking about it and I think my stance - which isn’t really much of one now that you’ve explained, I generally agree - is that management and RTS tutorials for me have always been kind of like, lazy Saturday morning brain boot sequence vibes? Like I don’t mind a slow tutorial cause I can take it easy and in a good one click through most of it to just mess with stuff before I start playing the game for real.

So yeah no you’re fine, it’s not what I’d do but I get it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

But I always forget to mention that I play weird games when I say things like that and I can see how it would be true of like, a FPS or whatever

Yeah I retract my :stare: because that makes enough sense to me too. I assumed you meant like, games in general.

Of course for my ADHD addled rear end I both lack the patience for slow, plodding strategy tutorials AND the mental energy to go fool around in sandbox conditions to figure it out for myself. :(

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't like grinding and i don't like being at the mercy of rng so i'll always cheat to bypass those elements if possible. it's usually possible, because few devs for sp games make an effort to combat cheat engine. some, like troubleshooter, just have really strange architecture that makes memory editing impossible from the start.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Deakul posted:

Possibly the simulated joystick feeling? I don't mind it too much but I can see how it could bother others... I did find this Steam post about a possible work around that sounds like it worked for other folks.

There's also an option for the crosshairs to stay centered if the free floating reticule is throwing you off.

edit: :siren: Alsooo they just updated the demo to the 1.0 release!

I just downloaded it to check it out and I think the floating crosshair might be new (since I last played it, which was on EA release day), disabling it brings back what I remember hating:

You move your mouse and this little arrow pokes out of the circle in the center and you start turning/steering in that direction. Except you keep steering in that direction until you manually re-center your mouse - it's like your mouse doesn't directly control your ship, it only controls that arrow, and your ship follows the arrow.

The floating mode feels okay at first glance though so I'll check it out tomorrow.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Same :hfive: :unsmith:

Almost always skip cutscenes and such because oh my god I don't care but maybe like 50-50 whether I wish I could skip tutorials or nont.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I miss when games had dedicated built in cheats. Remember what they took from us.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
IDSPISPOPD

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

FishMcCool posted:

Would anyone here volunteer to sell me on Subnautica? I'm almost 6h in and pondering just calling it a day and uninstalling, which feels a bit mad considering I love underwater settings. Now, I didn't expect this to be the chill experience of Endless Ocean 1&2, but I have been taken aback at how much a modern survival game first and foremost. Food/Drink drain is ridiculous enough, but oxygen takes the cake. I only have the second kind of oxygen tanks, and that gives me 130s of breathing, 100s more with a second tank which I can carry and switch to. And effectively less since under 100m it drains faster (well I have a helmet to help with that, but if I switch to it I take radiation damage...). So so far, it has never been about taking in the surroundings and enjoying the atmosphere, it's always been racing against the clock. The worst was the first explorable wreck I found, which ended up being a stupid rush and mouselook as fast as possible to locate interactables rather than the slow/ominous exploration I'd have expected.

Please tell me I have missed something and I'll soon be able to get more than the minute and a half of oxygen I have to deal with right now. The gauge watching is really doing my head in, and if that's supposed to be the whole game, well, I'll have to accept it's just not for me.

You are not supposed to go past 100 meters without a rebreather, which is an available blueprint to make from the very start. Check equipment and what it does. There are other gadgets as well you missed for sure.

I however agree, that the food/water consumption in this game are ridiculous. I'd advise to start on the mode where only O2 is your limit.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I've tried both Subnautica and Below Zero with the survival meters but ended up turning them off because it's literally pointless in both games. Having to manage oxygen is plenty, and much more interesting than food/water.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

lordfrikk posted:

I've tried both Subnautica and Below Zero with the survival meters but ended up turning them off because it's literally pointless in both games. Having to manage oxygen is plenty, and much more interesting than food/water.

It doesn't help that it's just a chore that is solved with the first 5 minutes of playing (bladderfish = unlimited water, All other fish = unlimited food)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

FastestGunAlive posted:

I miss when games had dedicated built in cheats. Remember what they took from us.

They aren't gone. They just cost money now, because number has to go up.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2109316/Resident_Evil_4_Weapon_Exclusive_Upgrade_Ticket_x1_A/

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I use trainers and cheat engine a lot in singleplayer games

SAME op

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

going to bat for speedhack because it made oxenfree much more enjoyable. same for persona 4 endless repetitive dungeons

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I don't know about speedhack, but yeah these days I'll happily throw on cheat engine if an otherwise enjoyable game is annoying me about something particular. Oh, you have very limited inventory space and expect me to run back to get/craft new ammo from safe rooms all the time? How about I just have infinite ammo instead.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The only "cheat" I need is ~ unlock in Bethesda games :(

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I thought Oxygen in Subnautica was an enjoyable and meaningful progression, but food and water I disabled immediately.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I never really enjoy using cheats or turbo mode stuff myself for most games I guess, although it really depends on the exact game and what it's doing. Usually I play games long and slow anyway, and stuff that hard "breaks" the immersion only makes me lose interest in most games much more quickly. I'm basically the opposite of the cutscene skipping turborunner in general, I'll happily spend 5 extra hours hunting for all optional dialogue I can get my hands on in an RPG and don't like rushing through stuff at all.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

GhostDog posted:

I thought Oxygen in Subnautica was an enjoyable and meaningful progression, but food and water I disabled immediately.

Yeah just to pile on, the food and water is just pointless busywork that really feels like it's there to arbitrarily stress you during the early game. Disable it, oxygen management is enough.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

FishMcCool posted:

Would anyone here volunteer to sell me on Subnautica? I'm almost 6h in and pondering just calling it a day and uninstalling, which feels a bit mad considering I love underwater settings. Now, I didn't expect this to be the chill experience of Endless Ocean 1&2, but I have been taken aback at how much a modern survival game first and foremost. Food/Drink drain is ridiculous enough, but oxygen takes the cake. I only have the second kind of oxygen tanks, and that gives me 130s of breathing, 100s more with a second tank which I can carry and switch to. And effectively less since under 100m it drains faster (well I have a helmet to help with that, but if I switch to it I take radiation damage...). So so far, it has never been about taking in the surroundings and enjoying the atmosphere, it's always been racing against the clock. The worst was the first explorable wreck I found, which ended up being a stupid rush and mouselook as fast as possible to locate interactables rather than the slow/ominous exploration I'd have expected.

Please tell me I have missed something and I'll soon be able to get more than the minute and a half of oxygen I have to deal with right now. The gauge watching is really doing my head in, and if that's supposed to be the whole game, well, I'll have to accept it's just not for me.

Push forward until you’ve constructed the basic submarine, the Seamoth. Things really open up after that.

Also the radiation only affects the eastern part of the map, and can be fixed.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
So a few hours into Everspace 2 and its pretty hecking great. Definitely on the arcade side of the space games, its very heavy on combat and light on exploration and trading and then has occasional puzzles thrown in. Its very much a space game rather than a space sim though. Definitely gives me freelancer vibes. There is a multi hour demo to try if you are interested.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Squiggle posted:

Yeah just to pile on, the food and water is just pointless busywork that really feels like it's there to arbitrarily stress you during the early game. Disable it, oxygen management is enough.

Yeah, that was the thing for me. If it ever felt like there was some particular challenge to food and water, I would have left it on, but it was really just an annoyance more than anything.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Mega Comrade posted:

So a few hours into Everspace 2 and its pretty hecking great. Definitely on the arcade side of the space games, its very heavy on combat and light on exploration and trading and then has occasional puzzles thrown in. Its very much a space game rather than a space sim though. Definitely gives me freelancer vibes. There is a multi hour demo to try if you are interested.

Yeah, this is pretty much the space game that I've been itching for.

It's not a 1:1 Freelancer-like but it's drat close!

Loot, good combat, good movement, fun enemies to fight, and gorgeous environments to do it all in.

I'm not really paying much attention to the story but it's inoffensive whenever it does rear its head.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mega Comrade posted:

I didn't know it finally left EA. It's on game pass too!

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Deakul posted:

It's not a 1:1 Freelancer-like but it's drat close!

still don't get it how people compare Everspace to ANY linear space-opera games of the 90s/early 2000s. Its so different in its core, its Descent/6DOF more as any actual space game (ofc FS wasnt newtonian space combat and also more of a TPS in space, but its presentation and game elemets at that time were still vastly different) and the development from its roguelike predecessor didnt go far enough so its story/characters fall flat, crafting is 4th wall breaking as with any of the games that have it like this, RPG mechanics light but "have to be in there" as it doesn't provide otherwise notable feel of progression due to it's open world design.

Its good in its own way, but it is absolutely not what space games were nor does it remotely capture that atmosphere that Freespace or Freelancer gave back then. Too much arcarde elements.

It is one major reason why people are still so disillusioned to give tons of money to dumbass RSI because there simply is not that kind of space game the aforementioned were at their time.

regardless of that though, Everspace 2 is great, go play it :D

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Does Everspace 2 have the "living universe" thing that Freelancer did where civilian and military traffic were all going about their business while you flew around?

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Tiny Timbs posted:

Does Everspace 2 have the "living universe" thing that Freelancer did where civilian and military traffic were all going about their business while you flew around?

no, as it is not that kind of game.

There are just maps, connected by freeflight warp where nothing happens, and within those maps are then events, either random generated (some are obtained by finding some sort of "map", which are mostly more intense figths) or story which are then static a. There is no connectivity/overarching stuff in Everspace. Its just a (good and VERY pretty) space combat game.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Anyone familiar with Lone Fungus? Apparently it's been in EA for a while but I never heard of it, just hit 1.0. Metroidvania getting pretty rave reviews, lots of Hollow Knight comparisons.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

goferchan posted:

Anyone familiar with Lone Fungus? Apparently it's been in EA for a while but I never heard of it, just hit 1.0. Metroidvania getting pretty rave reviews, lots of Hollow Knight comparisons.

The one thing I know about it is that it's a one-dev project, they said it'd be in EA for a year, and it released after about a year.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

haldolium posted:

no, as it is not that kind of game.

There are just maps, connected by freeflight warp where nothing happens, and within those maps are then events, either random generated (some are obtained by finding some sort of "map", which are mostly more intense figths) or story which are then static a. There is no connectivity/overarching stuff in Everspace. Its just a (good and VERY pretty) space combat game.

Ok yeah I didn't think it did so the comparisons to Freelancer were kind of confusing.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Does Ship Graveyard Simulator scratch the same itch as Hardspace: Shipbreaker?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

haldolium posted:

still don't get it how people compare Everspace to ANY linear space-opera games of the 90s/early 2000s. Its so different in its core, its Descent/6DOF more as any actual space game (ofc FS wasnt newtonian space combat and also more of a TPS in space, but its presentation and game elemets at that time were still vastly different) and the development from its roguelike predecessor didnt go far enough so its story/characters fall flat, crafting is 4th wall breaking as with any of the games that have it like this, RPG mechanics light but "have to be in there" as it doesn't provide otherwise notable feel of progression due to it's open world design.

Its good in its own way, but it is absolutely not what space games were nor does it remotely capture that atmosphere that Freespace or Freelancer gave back then. Too much arcarde elements.

It is one major reason why people are still so disillusioned to give tons of money to dumbass RSI because there simply is not that kind of space game the aforementioned were at their time.

regardless of that though, Everspace 2 is great, go play it :D

I wasn't comparing it to Freespace at all, just Freelancer which was decidedly not linear.
:shrug:

Sorry I'm of the "it's good enough and scratches the itch" camp, it gives me a lot of Freelancer feel in its approachability and ease of play.
Baby's first space game pretty much, I don't want crazy simulations of entire galactic economies nor do I particularly care if space is buzzing with activity, I just want good mouse controlled space pew pew with loot and good atmosphere all of which I get from ES2.

Heck, it even has a basic trade system in it where certain goods go higher or lower in certain systems.

I take what I can get and Everspace 2 is likely the closest we'll ever get cause developers are brokebrained when it comes to space games apparently.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Tiny Timbs posted:

In some places, you see random miners, trader, long haulers and people fighting but not nearly as much as I'd like though and you cant follow them between areas, seems a missed opportunity. It was always a mirage in freelancer but it did a lot of heavy lifting in making it feel living.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 7, 2023

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Deakul posted:

I wasn't comparing it to Freespace at all, just Freelancer which was decidedly not linear.
:shrug:

Sorry I'm of the "it's good enough and scratches the itch" camp, it gives me a lot of Freelancer feel in its approachability and ease of play.
Baby's first space game pretty much, I don't want crazy simulations of entire galactic economies nor do I particularly care if space is buzzing with activity, I just want good mouse controlled space pew pew with loot and good atmosphere all of which I get from ES2.

Heck, it even has a basic trade system in it where certain goods go higher or lower in certain systems.

I take what I can get and Everspace 2 is likely the closest we'll ever get cause developers are brokebrained when it comes to space games apparently.

Fair enough, it wasn't just your post but a lot of comparisons over the course itt. It's a great game, I've played it a lot over the course of EA but it just not scratched that itch enough for me and I just vented a bit here since it is very different in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Sleazy stuff. But now that I think about it, RE is a series that kind of includes cheats through the unlockable items (eg Chicago typewriter)