Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

"You're not wrong Walter Louis. You're just an rear end in a top hat."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
:goonsay:"when was the last time you updated?"

:byodood:"Oh just last week"

50+ updates need to be installed

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Honestly windows updates are dumb as hell and a system where people just don’t do them sounds better then the alternative

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

devmd01 posted:

When I joined this place six years ago, they had only been doing critical windows security patches, for years. I don’t even remember how many patches they needed to catch up on, but it took something like five months of releasing big chunks of them before every server was caught up.

Now, if it’s a released patch it goes. Lower environments Thursday after patch Tuesday, prod environment week and a half later.

Yeah, the “problem” was the MSP used n-able for patch management which disables automatic updates, but they only ever pushed out critical and security updates. Didn’t prevent nearly a quarter of our laptops falling months behind, with the worst offenders last receiving security updates in august.

So I told them to turn off management, pushed a powershell script to delete the registry key and let the Microsoft gods handle the rest. Had to force an office update last week as users were months behind on that as well.

No servers though.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

tokin opposition posted:

:goonsay:"when was the last time you updated?"

:byodood:"Oh just last week"

50+ updates need to be installed

They restarted the device what more do you want????

thewizardofshoe
Feb 24, 2013

George H.W. oval office posted:

They restarted the device what more do you want????

Alternatively, the update was for Google Chrome.

thewizardofshoe
Feb 24, 2013

I'm about to embark on a journey of reevaluating how we organize Assignment Groups for our iPads in AirWatch, anyone got any advice on that front? In terms of things that might break that I wouldn't anticipate when making changes to groups that have active devices in them, etc.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I'm all for staying up to date on patching, but Windows updates have some serious QC issues. Not so bad in the server market, but for the consumer OS, I can't even count how many times Windows updates have broken basic system functionality. Within the last couple years nearly every Windows 10 update broke my wireless adapter until I uninstalled and reinstalled the adapter, which most users aren't going to know how to do, and probably (hopefully) won't have the necessary privileges for. You don't necessarily have to go download the driver, reinstalling the existing one is usually enough, but that would be another whole thing, especially since most users who are WFH are not technical and do not keep patch cables around the house and may not even be aware that their home router (probably!) has wired interfaces available, without which they would be unable to go download new drivers since their wireless is on the fritz. And that's if their laptop has a wired interface at all, or if they have an external adapter for it.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

guppy posted:

that would be another whole thing, especially since most users who are WFH are not technical and do not keep patch cables around the house

Yo! Why don't people keep ONE patch cable. Just one. I'm begging.

We should ship users laptops with a 3 footer.

fake edit: with an adapter

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

ziasquinn posted:

Yo! Why don't people keep ONE patch cable. Just one. I'm begging.

We should ship users laptops with a 3 footer.

fake edit: with an adapter

Every laptop that goes out here has a 6' cable and a ethernet dongle, and the number of people that remember when going on site is probably less then 50%.

A coworker keeps a stash of them at his desk, and has to order replacements every few months.

The real surprise is people showing up and not having a power brick.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

USB-C docking stations with power are everywhere now, though, so that is almost to be expected.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Man I’ve got a week left at my current gig and idk what to do all day.

I finished my pass down doc. Certainly not going to build any new servers or make and major (or minor) changes to prod.

Help desk tickets can suck my dick-its.

Currently scrolling hackernews like its 2013

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

guppy posted:

I'm all for staying up to date on patching, but Windows updates have some serious QC issues. Not so bad in the server market, but for the consumer OS, I can't even count how many times Windows updates have broken basic system functionality.

Wasnt it like 4-5 years ago that Microsoft gutted their staff responsible for patching and managing updates? I feel like I read that somewhere.

Its definitely gotten worse over the last 10 years.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Welp the CEO announced we are going back to 5 days in the office.
Policy was 4 days on-site but between every cubicle outside of his office being empty 90% of the time and the numerous requests I’ve gotten lately from managers asking if I can track if employees are working because they’d send a teams message/email in the morning and not hear back until 5, I knew it was coming very soon.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Cyks posted:

Welp the CEO announced we are going back to 5 days in the office.
Policy was 4 days on-site but between every cubicle outside of his office being empty 90% of the time and the numerous requests I’ve gotten lately from managers asking if I can track if employees are working because they’d send a teams message/email in the morning and not hear back until 5, I knew it was coming very soon.

Managers unable to manage their problem employees leads to harsher rules (aka no WFH) for everyone, this is an entirely unsurprising development :v:

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Wibla posted:

Managers unable to manage their problem employees leads to harsher rules (aka no WFH) for everyone, this is an entirely unsurprising development :v:

Oh it’s absolutely a Management issue; almost all senior staff have that position because they’ve been with the company for more than 2 years. No doubt that removing the WFH option is easier than fixing the core issue.

Unfortunately there is a a significant percentage of employees who have been taking advantage of that.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

One of the reasons I may not stick around my new job is because the rest of my team leaves at 12:30 every day to "work from home". And then I can't get ahold of anyone the rest of the day, so I end up being the one guy supporting the entire org.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Cyks posted:

Oh it’s absolutely a Management issue; almost all senior staff have that position because they’ve been with the company for more than 2 years. No doubt that removing the WFH option is easier than fixing the core issue.

Unfortunately there is a a significant percentage of employees who have been taking advantage of that.

If people are still getting their job done, who gives a poo poo when and how long they work? If they aren't getting their job done, fire them for not getting their poo poo done. This isn't hard.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
My uneducated opinion is that these issues are widespread, but not actually WFH issues. The pandemic has really messed with people. We have people who are WFH and people who aren't and people who never were, and they're all over the map. Part of it, nationally, might be the fact that it's been very clear whether your employer gives a poo poo about your safety, and consequently deciding how much to care about their work, but it's also just been a really weird time for people and I don't think they've really recovered mentally. And that's with most people believing the pandemic is over, which I don't.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Wasnt it like 4-5 years ago that Microsoft gutted their staff responsible for patching and managing updates? I feel like I read that somewhere.

Its definitely gotten worse over the last 10 years.

It's no secret I'm a Microsoft homer, but this is still one of the things that pisses me off about Microsoft to this day. Back around 2014 when Satya took over as CEO, he got rid of all most all the technical writers/documentation folks at MSFT. That's why 2012R2 and before have excellent documentation and technet was considered a really good reference (to some people I guess) and everything after is mediocre at best. We can just have our customers update our documentation now. Same thing with patching. They got rid of most of their internal patch testers and basically again outsourced the poo poo under the guise of being a "windows insider" and having the customers beta test their poo poo for them. For what Microsoft charges I would expect some level of internal testing and proper documentation, but nope.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

KillHour posted:

If people are still getting their job done, who gives a poo poo when and how long they work? If they aren't getting their job done, fire them for not getting their poo poo done. This isn't hard.

But that would require a manager to personally handle things, and its way easier for them to make a blanket policy.

Where I'm at, they haven't made a real WFH policy because then they'd have to follow it, so instead they have been winging it. Which for a vast majority of people, has worked out. But I know there are a handful of people who are going to ruin it for their department.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm pretty sure the people doing nothing at home all day are also doing nothing all day in the office. If your only metric for "work done" is responding to emails or team messages, replacing that with a desk drive-by isn't going to increase productivity.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

guppy posted:

And that's with most people believing the pandemic is over, which I don't.

It's as over as it's ever gonna get. If you are still dead set on not getting COVID randomly like a cold or a flu, you are going to spend the rest of your life isolating.

bull3964 posted:

I'm pretty sure the people doing nothing at home all day are also doing nothing all day in the office. If your only metric for "work done" is responding to emails or team messages, replacing that with a desk drive-by isn't going to increase productivity.

it's absolutely this. If you are a direct manager of someone and you don't have any idea how productive they are without physically seeing them, you are the problem.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Apr 7, 2023

App13
Dec 31, 2011

I’m one of those people who straight up cannot get work done at home but am very productive in the office. Whenever I have a work from home day I spend 80% if it waffling around and 20% of it feeling awful about waffling around.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

App13 posted:

I’m one of those people who straight up cannot get work done at home but am very productive in the office. Whenever I have a work from home day I spend 80% if it waffling around and 20% of it feeling awful about waffling around.

Pretend you're in college and work from a library.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

KillHour posted:

Pretend you're in college and work from a library.

I only watched movies in the library

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

George H.W. oval office posted:

I only watched movies in the library

I played WoW and eventually just dropped out. But it works for some people.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My motivation is I end up homeless if I get fired for not working.

Fear works!

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

GreenNight posted:

One of the reasons I may not stick around my new job is because the rest of my team leaves at 12:30 every day to "work from home". And then I can't get ahold of anyone the rest of the day, so I end up being the one guy supporting the entire org.

Oh yeah I used to do that at my old job before COVID. Difference was, I wasn't a support role, so me loving off after being in the office for a few hours (roll in at 10, leave around 2) and getting all my work done for the day wasn't an issue for anyone else. I would just check my email to make sure there weren't any major house fires but would otherwise enjoy the rest of my day. Though If I was somehow piling work onto someone else by doing that, I'd feel lovely about it and not do it.

My only real nitpick with WFH, is managers or colleagues that will gently caress off for hours on end and be unreachable during regular business hours, but then get on your rear end because you didn't respond to a Teams message asking a very minor question within five minutes of them sending it at 8AM. My previous manager and some teammates would do that, and that's one of the many reasons why I decided to quit without another gig lined up rather than continue to deal with it.

In lighter news, got a job offer from a place I interviewed with last week :woop: Though, I might be getting one from another place I wrapped up interviewing with yesterday but they said they wouldn't be making a decision till next week. Sent them a quick email saying I really really liked meeting with the team and I'm excited about possibly joining that team, but I need to tell the other place yay or nay by next Wednesday. Hopefully that lights a fire!

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

guppy posted:

My uneducated opinion is that these issues are widespread, but not actually WFH issues. The pandemic has really messed with people. We have people who are WFH and people who aren't and people who never were, and they're all over the map. Part of it, nationally, might be the fact that it's been very clear whether your employer gives a poo poo about your safety, and consequently deciding how much to care about their work, but it's also just been a really weird time for people and I don't think they've really recovered mentally. And that's with most people believing the pandemic is over, which I don't.

Office people usually slack a lot since the effects of you not doing your job are a lot less noticeable than with shift work especially if you don’t have KPIs. It’s just when your inoffice your governor he benefit of the doubt and when it’s WFH you’re not

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I really really want to see the results from a 3 day work week compared to even the 4 day since we all know that a weeks work is maybe total to 1-2ish days. I'll submit and go into an office 3 days a week if it was a guaranteed 3 day week.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I asked one of my co-workers what work was like before the pandemic. Personally I WFH and I logon about 9 and then I don't logoff until sometime after 5. I eat at my desk and really don't take any breaks (by choice, my ADD Brain has trouble getting back on task if I take a long break to do something else). I'm at least available anyway. I might have a TV Show or YouTube on my secondary non work computer, but I'm keeping Slack green and available even if I have nothing to do.

This was the breakdown of how my team used to be pre-covid

"Roll in about 8:15 to 8:30, setup laptop and get logged in, then head down to one of the cafeterias and grab some breakfast. Shoot the poo poo with co-workers until about 9:15 or so"
"Standup is at 10, and then maybe another meeting after that, around 11:30 head down and grab some lunch, proceed to shoot the poo poo and eat until 1pm or so"
"Maybe have another meeting from 1 to 2, or occasionally do some work. By 2 PM everyone was packed up and gone "to beat traffic" and we logged on from home until 5pm"

So I asked him, y'all really didn't get a ton done huh, and he was confirmed that we are way more productive working from home.

My opinion on things is I get paid for results. I don't get paid to sit around for 40 hours and look busy. You assign work to me, I perform work. My boss decides if I'm doing a good job or not. I get stories, stories get worked, stories get closed. If everyone happy who gives a poo poo.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

App13 posted:

Currently scrolling hackernews like its 2013

What are your top sites for professional news these days?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Handsome Ralph posted:

My only real nitpick with WFH, is managers or colleagues that will gently caress off for hours on end and be unreachable during regular business hours, but then get on your rear end because you didn't respond to a Teams message asking a very minor question within five minutes of them sending it at 8AM. My previous manager and some teammates would do that, and that's one of the many reasons why I decided to quit without another gig lined up rather than continue to deal with it.

I feel "be available on Teams/Slack while WFH" is a very low bar to clear when WFH. Exceptions for when you're working on stuff where you really don't want to get distracted / disturbed by IMs and poo poo. And that should be blocked out in your calendar.

Handsome Ralph posted:

In lighter news, got a job offer from a place I interviewed with last week :woop: Though, I might be getting one from another place I wrapped up interviewing with yesterday but they said they wouldn't be making a decision till next week. Sent them a quick email saying I really really liked meeting with the team and I'm excited about possibly joining that team, but I need to tell the other place yay or nay by next Wednesday. Hopefully that lights a fire!

:yotj:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

skipdogg posted:

I asked one of my co-workers what work was like before the pandemic. Personally I WFH and I logon about 9 and then I don't logoff until sometime after 5. I eat at my desk and really don't take any breaks (by choice, my ADD Brain has trouble getting back on task if I take a long break to do something else). I'm at least available anyway. I might have a TV Show or YouTube on my secondary non work computer, but I'm keeping Slack green and available even if I have nothing to do.

I'm guilty of this too and I try real hard to force myself to do Something Else during lunch. Even if it's just heating up some leftovers and eating at the table because it's way too easy to work through lunch and that poo poo ain't healthy.

I grew this weird compulsion to always be available on Slack during business hours and respond to stuff quickly and I hate it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I eat at my desk and take my full lunch hour to do errands around the house. Things are to the point now where unless I'm getting into a larger household project, all of my "work" (both job and chores) are confined to work hours so my time outside that is truly mine to do with as I want.

I cannot overstate how dramatic an increase in quality of life for me this was. I can exercise more, relax more, eat better, and my weekends are completely open.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

skipdogg posted:

It's no secret I'm a Microsoft homer, but this is still one of the things that pisses me off about Microsoft to this day. Back around 2014 when Satya took over as CEO, he got rid of all most all the technical writers/documentation folks at MSFT. That's why 2012R2 and before have excellent documentation and technet was considered a really good reference (to some people I guess) and everything after is mediocre at best. We can just have our customers update our documentation now. Same thing with patching. They got rid of most of their internal patch testers and basically again outsourced the poo poo under the guise of being a "windows insider" and having the customers beta test their poo poo for them. For what Microsoft charges I would expect some level of internal testing and proper documentation, but nope.

Some of their Azure documentation is flat out wrong or written by product teams that don’t understand components (ie every set of DNS documentation for PaaS services), but at the same time a lot of it is really good and it covers a ton of ground.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Potato Salad posted:

Hackernews
This thread
/r/sysadmin
SANS Blog
DarkReading

(Super interested in suggestions)

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Potato Salad posted:

Something Awful
LinkedIn Feed
The sales guy down the hall
DailyMail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Wibla posted:

I feel "be available on Teams/Slack while WFH" is a very low bar to clear when WFH. Exceptions for when you're working on stuff where you really don't want to get distracted / disturbed by IMs and poo poo. And that should be blocked out in your calendar.

Yeah like, we never had any question or issue that had to be urgently answered within five minutes or else. So I would understand sending a question and not hearing anything back for like 10-15 minutes in the middle of the day, hell I'd even be fine with a 30 minute turn around and not really give a poo poo. But hours on end? Come the gently caress on. Like you said, it's a very low bar to clear.

And the issue I had was I was pretty upfront that my work hours were 9-5 when I worked from home, and anything before or after that would need to wait. I never had an issue with this on previous teams within that company either. So I'd have a colleague that liked to work 60 hour work weeks, ask me a question on teams at 8AM, and then at 8:10 they'd go to my manager to whine that I wasn't responding to them, and then I'd hear grief about it. My manager would do this as well (as well as micromanage and nitpick the fuuuuuuck out of everything they laid eyes on), but I'd send them a question at like 1PM on an issue that was preventing my work moving forward...and I'd not hear anything back for hours. And when I finally got an answer, it was usually not so much an answer but them deciding that my question was the issue, and they'd spend 5-10 minutes arguing over that.

Sorry, you broke the seal. I loving hated that job. Glad I left :v: