Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

my homie dhall posted:

if only there were an mpc that came with a built-in battery and speaker lol

I've got a Live II and honestly a JJ1k is faster and more fun to use, for me. I hope the next iteration of the platform has a physical solution for the piano roll or (no) they add mouse support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

not to rain on your parade but i feel like you’d get better results velcroing a portable speaker like anker to the mpc

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
My only complaint about the Live 2 is it's a bit too chunky. Otherwise I love the thing. Arrows would be nice though.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

My only complaint about the Live 2 is it's a bit too chunky. Otherwise I love the thing. Arrows would be nice though.

Yeah def, a dedicated bag helps a lot. Wasn't afraid of throwing the 1k in a backpack but that thing wouldn't fit if I wanted.
I'd take all the lumps forever if they'd just get disk streaming sorted. It's very close to an integrated S-series sampler + 'workstation' as it is. There's gotta be one engineer or PM left over there that worked on the Fusion board and really really needs to see it exist and actually work. I hope.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Using GAS to distract from health problems and a sugar house fire.

Ordered a used QPAS yesterday, then today while investigating Tall Dog DSO, saw that Blue Lantern had made and listed ten more firmware identical Zeroscope 8u units so I snagged one for $100. It's a tiny screen but it's two inputs plus a gate input and has a tuner, that's pretty good for the price and 8u.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

On the subject of GAS:

I ordered an module from Sweetwater today (the Doepher A-145-4, for those curious), and was browsing their synths afterwards, only to find that one of the synths I've been lusting after is on sale for $500 off :negative:

(I have resisted the siren song of further GAS, but only until my next paycheck comes in to offset the cost :retrogames:)

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Here's a little help with that GAS
I got a new free module to play with: the Seaside Modular Jawari
I had a fun little jam with it https://soundcloud.com/sperimentaldoots/jdrone

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

NuclearPotato posted:

I ordered an module from Sweetwater today (the Doepher A-145-4, for those curious), and was browsing their synths afterwards, only to find that one of the synths I've been lusting after is on sale for $500 off :negative:

What synth?

Nice!

B33rChiller posted:

Here's a little help with that GAS
I got a new free module to play with: the Seaside Modular Jawari
this makes me angry because there's no hardware identical thing for me to spend $300 on!!

This doesn't help at all!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Cabbages and Kings posted:

What synth?

Nice!

this makes me angry because there's no hardware identical thing for me to spend $300 on!!

This doesn't help at all!

Do you already have a tanpura pedal?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Grassy Knowles posted:

Do you already have a tanpura pedal?

no, this is the closest thing on my GAS list at present

https://www.errorinstruments.com/a-67303063/error-modular/indian-resonator-mk-4-osc-kick-drum-ice-karma/#description

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
Is there anything on the market that’s like a modern take on the EMU Emulator II? I mean a keyboard instrument where I can load it with audio samples, apply filters/envelopes/modulation, and play it all with polyphony?

And don’t say “a DAW :v:

duck.exe fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 7, 2023

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
heh, you can do that with a m8 and a midi keyboard

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've never had one but the op-z can do (some of?) that too.

And it's slightly more available than the m8 is right now in the sense that stock actually exists.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I borrowed an m8 from the local music library last night and within an hour had a basic rendition of the Pokemon Center theme. Good times -- we'll see if I gel with the workflow enough to preorder for the July batch.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

duck.exe posted:

Is there anything on the market that’s like a modern take on the EMU Emulator II? I mean a keyboard instrument where I can load it with audio samples, apply filters/envelopes/modulation, and play it all with polyphony?

There are still workstation keyboards being made, like the Roland FA-series and Yamaha Motif. They aren't cheap though. The cheapest route here is probably a vintage rack sampler (like an old Akai or EMU rackmount) with a midi keyboard. The editing interface is... fun, though. Or look for older used workstation keyboards that had sampling, like I think the Kurzweil K-series had them or at least a sampling add on board?

In general "Workstation" is keyboard speak for "something like a bunch of DAW functions with a keyboard attached".

kare
Mar 19, 2002
Kind of related to GAS. I should have thought of it myself, but I learned in a DivKid video that you can use a sequential switch as a clock divider (with the clock as the one input plugged in). I often need an extra 2 or 4 divider, especially when my clock divider is set to primes or something weird, or to do octaves on a square wave

kare fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 7, 2023

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

duck.exe posted:

Waldorf Blofeld sort of, but it's convoluted and limited and definitely not a recommendation if that's the angle you're approaching it for.

Boody
Aug 15, 2001
I don't need this but I have a few bits of Soma Laboratory gear that needs a new friend. The illuminator, an 8 channel CV to LED strip driver.

https://somasynths.com/illuminator/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go22inMuRgQ

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
The Lofi-12 might be what you're looking for.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

The Moog Matriarch. That's the one synth right now that giving me "I need this now"-style cravings, probably because I own all the other major Moog semi-modulars already, and just need that one to complete the collection. There's certainly other synths I'm interested in (hi, PWM Malevolent), but the Matriarch is the only one I'm willing to shell out for right now, especially at an under $2k price point.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Having a really annoying problem w/ my feedbacking filter into feedbacking delay coming un-tuned when I turn my poo poo off.

Do they make ts to banana cables? Like it would split to voltage and ground or something? I feel like voltage control would solve this but the delay is my single piece of banana gear and I'm trying not to spring for a converter box (which is just gonna enable serge/cat girl synth dalliances)

Boody
Aug 15, 2001

NuclearPotato posted:

The Moog Matriarch. That's the one synth right now that giving me "I need this now"-style cravings, probably because I own all the other major Moog semi-modulars already, and just need that one to complete the collection. There's certainly other synths I'm interested in (hi, PWM Malevolent), but the Matriarch is the only one I'm willing to shell out for right now, especially at an under $2k price point.

I picked up a PWM Malevolent a few months back and really enjoy it but it frustrates me that I can't find a case or decksaver for it. It's also the piece of equipment with the worst/non-existent documentation ever.

I'm experiencing a delivery issue which has at least semi-cured my GAS. Been trying to pick up a Joranalogue Test 3 for months, they don't pop up on local eBay often. Won an auction for one 4-5 weeks back and the seller used a terrible courier Evri, a week after dispatch got a notification that courier couldn't deliver it one Saturday due to the exceptional large size which was clearly nonsense. Chased it up and they destroyed it a few days later. eBay seller never responded but got the money back when eBay stepped in. Saw another seller listing one, managed to win the auction, they sent it via a different courier 2 weeks ago but it still hasn't arrived. Starting to believe I'm just never going to own one.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Question for the thread because you guys probably know the answer. I kinda quit paying attention to music hardware and stuff for a few years, it was right when there was a dedicated VST machine advertising on KVR. I guess that never really took off?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Tayter Swift posted:

The Lofi-12 might be what you're looking for.

I think this looks cool.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

petit choux posted:

Question for the thread because you guys probably know the answer. I kinda quit paying attention to music hardware and stuff for a few years, it was right when there was a dedicated VST machine advertising on KVR. I guess that never really took off?

Nah :(
Muse Receptor lasted a long while, was the expensive one and they've since left the direct sales business. The fun/cheap one was a dog, the sm pro v-machine.

Main stage, et al., makes it not matter really.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

petit choux posted:

the iPad :v:

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
My reprint of Allen Strange came in today!

So Math fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 7, 2023

treble
Feb 14, 2001

NuclearPotato posted:

I’ve hand a Matriarch for a few years, and it’s a forever instrument for me. I haven’t used as many synths as some, but it’s the best sounding and most rewarding synthesizer I’ve used. I predict they will go up in value when retired due to their built in delay… it seems every Moog delay seems to drastically increase in price once out of print. Maybe now’s the time?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

So Math posted:

My reprint of Allan Strange came in today!

Oh wow, you just made me look up this guy, I have a book of his.

ED: Electronic Music: Systems, Techniques, and Controls I think

petit choux fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 7, 2023

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

So Math posted:

My reprint of Allan Strange came in today!

Haven’t even had my shipping confirmation yet. I ordered both spiral and hard bound and I think those are shipping last.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Tayter Swift posted:

Haven’t even had my shipping confirmation yet. I ordered both spiral and hard bound and I think those are shipping last.

What the heck are you people getting

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

petit choux posted:

What the heck are you people getting

Probably this book printing

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Yes that. There was a hosed up scan circulating on the internet for ages but now it’s all cleaned up pretty like.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

So is it considered a classic? I got it before there was an internet but at the time I was still more into visual arts and not as much music. I used to haunt used book stores though because it was the easiest place for a brokeass chump like me to find stuff like this.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Yeah, there was a collaboration with his estate, (I believe?) to reprint what has become kind of a cult classic.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

B33rChiller posted:

Yeah, there was a collaboration with his estate, (I believe?) to reprint what has become kind of a cult classic.

Oh wait, help me out please, thread, wasn't there a REALLY good book on electronics published for free or donations recently as well?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

duck.exe posted:

As long as with “load” you are okay with “connect to computer and drag .wav files in there”, Korg Wavestate is the cheapest option. You get two gigabyte of storage. Don’t worry, after you are done you can just disconnect it.

Everything else sucks. Old samplers are not worth it because the cheap ones are useless boat anchors (Akai S2000, E-mu ESI), and the old ones that are worth it command a fortune.

If you really want to, an Akai Z4 or S5000 is useful, but they don’t have a built in keyboard.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

petit choux posted:

Emphatically not the intended use, but I got a LattePanda board for this purpose. You do have to bring your own audio interface and enclosure, but it seems to run the Korg and Native Instruments VSTs I've tried well enough.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

overeager overeater posted:

Emphatically not the intended use, but I got a LattePanda board for this purpose. You do have to bring your own audio interface and enclosure, but it seems to run the Korg and Native Instruments VSTs I've tried well enough.

And for the price of computers nowadays it hardly makes sense anymore. But DAWs and VSTs were not as stable as nowadays either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

So Math posted:

My reprint of Allen Strange came in today!

I got the hardcover and immediately wished I had gotten the spiral bound one