Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

By everyone that matters, I meant people irl and not people who tweet all day.

Like I almost began to think I was somehow ahead of the curve, using this stuff for pre-vis and all that, because I haven't seen anyone talking about using it that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

KakerMix posted:

It's soaked into every single pitch, story board, script rewrite and design studio at this very moment.
It is way too powerful of a tool, now imagine you are a giant media conglomerate that hates unions and needs to make number go up.
Anyone would be foolish to think otherwise.

do you have any articles on this subject or are you speaking from personal experience as a storyboard artist in a big studio

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Roman posted:

By everyone that matters, I meant people irl and not people who tweet all day.

Like I almost began to think I was somehow ahead of the curve, using this stuff for pre-vis and all that, because I haven't seen anyone talking about using it that way.

No disrespect, but how many working pre-vis artists do know irl? (personally I know zero) How many do you follow on twitter or elsewhere? (personally I loosely follow a dozen or two, depending on how "pre" we want the "vis" to be, the majority don't talk much about AI aside from maybe having come out against it in the ArtStation protests a few months back, or speaking from a place of moderate ethical/career concern on podcasts).

What you (or I) do as a solo hobbyist has very little relation to what goes on in big studios.

While I'm sure there are many AI-powered pitches and such happening, both from traditional pre-vis artists and otherwise, it's nowhere near taking over, or suddenly putting everyone who used to do it by hand out of work.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Prolonged Panorama posted:

No disrespect, but how many working pre-vis artists do know irl? (personally I know zero) How many do you follow on twitter or elsewhere? (personally I loosely follow a dozen or two, depending on how "pre" we want the "vis" to be, the majority don't talk much about AI aside from maybe having come out against it in the ArtStation protests a few months back, or speaking from a place of moderate ethical/career concern on podcasts).
What you (or I) do as a solo hobbyist has very little relation to what goes on in big studios.
While I'm sure there are many AI-powered pitches and such happening, both from traditional pre-vis artists and otherwise, it's nowhere near taking over, or suddenly putting everyone who used to do it by hand out of work.
You're actually confirming everything I had already thought before a few posts ago. So I guess I'll just maybe wait some more on forming any opinions.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I know some writers and even a producer. I’ll see if I can get a chance to ask.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

AI is absolutely on every exec's radar, it's the new "it" technology, totally displacing bitcoin stuff in conversation, except instead of being a theoretical technology that might be useful someday, it's concretely useful right now and they're all looking at how they can leverage it to keep up with their peers

On Monday I saw chatgpt being used to flesh out a pitch deck and make sure it was covering all the points, and fleshing out the weaker points. Thats just c level daily antics not even rank and file business processes yet

Pretend you're Jack Donaghy/write me a pitch for (highly specific business plan) (tailored to specific customers).

[7 point pitch]

Tell me more about point #4, give me five examples

[Gives 5 examples of point #4]

Give me a deep dive on the second example

Etc etc

That's just a casual deep dive on some point the presenter was especially weak on

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

by the end of this year AI is going to be in absolutely everything and will begin the massive disruption of the job markets

on top of that the AI of December 2023 will look Super Saiyan compared to what we have now

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I think it's going to take another year before we start to see concrete products that start being bought/used by B2B customers, we'll see early adoption starting next year and other companies will start to follow. Someone has an adoption curve or can get mid journey to render one for us

Somebody is going to figure out how to leverage gpt-4 to do better Excel spreadsheets and that's going to change a lot of things

One thing I can see happening is everyone uses chatgpt as their personal expert tutor and levels up their personal workflow, we see a huge 15-20% bump in productivity as the last couple drops of blood get squeezed from the stone and everything plateaus again

And yeah the art community is screaming bloody murder but they didn't even drum up enough interest in having a conversation, for them to lose the argument

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Microsoft is already there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebls5x-gb0s&t=487s

Hadlock posted:

Someone has an adoption curve or can get mid journey to render one for us

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

while art and writing and creative works will be under direct attack, and I feel absolutely doomed as well as thrilled as a writer myself, I also rationally realize that is the loving least of my worries compared to what will happen with hypertrained AI annihilating gigantic amounts of white collar jobs (with no financial safety waiting for laid-off workers), followed by even more blue collar jobs once they can develop vehicles and robotics that work with AI (again with zero promised or coming safeties for millions suddenly being jobless and told to go die in a ditch). nevermind the financial nightmares that will come from huge AI models running the economy and doing stock trades.

KwegiboHB
Feb 2, 2004

nonconformist art brut
Negative prompt: amenable, compliant, docile, law-abiding, lawful, legal, legitimate, obedient, orderly, submissive, tractable
Steps: 32, Sampler: DPM++ 2M Karras, CFG scale: 11, Seed: 520244594, Size: 512x512, Model hash: 99fd5c4b6f, Model: seekArtMEGA_mega20

Black August posted:

while art and writing and creative works will be under direct attack, and I feel absolutely doomed as well as thrilled as a writer myself, I also rationally realize that is the loving least of my worries compared to what will happen with hypertrained AI annihilating gigantic amounts of white collar jobs (with no financial safety waiting for laid-off workers), followed by even more blue collar jobs once they can develop vehicles and robotics that work with AI (again with zero promised or coming safeties for millions suddenly being jobless and told to go die in a ditch). nevermind the financial nightmares that will come from huge AI models running the economy and doing stock trades.

so... 20 years ago?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

KwegiboHB posted:

so... 20 years ago?

No. That's foolish to assume. They did not have this level and power of mass information processing available no matter how good their algorithms were for all that time. What they can do with this tech will look nothing like what they've been doing.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So this morning Bin messaged me on Skype out of the blue.

For something that's still being tested to avoid going full hitler, they're really trying to push it through as many holes as possible.

Anyway it's garbage and way more restricted than ChatGPT. I tried a few examples from earlier in this thread and it refused to do anything ever remotely amusing. The basic VBA it wrote also has HTML quotes in it.

E: it also won't make pictures

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Apr 7, 2023

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Black August posted:

the economy and doing stock trades.

The stock market is already mostly algo trading.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

As somebody who just started writing again after a very long time, and it's two sci-fi fantasy projects set in modern day, I feel like might be writing about a world that won't even exist any more in a year.

In the one story I am having an AI assist everyone, write apps, sometimes go wild like Bing did a few months ago, kind of basing it on recent things. But even then I may not be going far enough. And in my other story I had someone time travel to the future and infiltrate a public utility, and I wrote lots of people being in the facility. Like, IRL that may not be a thing any more way sooner than what happens in the future in my story.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

mobby_6kl posted:

Anyway it's garbage and way more restricted than ChatGPT. I tried a few examples from earlier in this thread and it refused to do anything ever remotely amusing. The basic VBA it wrote also has HTML quotes in it.

It is garbage for most things but, as a search engine, it's actually really good.

Good for those things where you're not looking for a website exactly, but just some kind of information you know is on the Internet and so instead of having to word it in an search engine type way, or having to read through websites for this one piece of information you just ask bing in normal language and it tells you and cites its sources.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

BrainDance posted:

It is garbage for most things but, as a search engine, it's actually really good.

Good for those things where you're not looking for a website exactly, but just some kind of information you know is on the Internet and so instead of having to word it in an search engine type way, or having to read through websites for this one piece of information you just ask bing in normal language and it tells you and cites its sources.

Oh god yes I've been asking Bingchat for game help instead of google.

"Hey Sydney, is the item copper nugget worth saving in this game? I've been carrying it for hours and haven't found a use yet"
"it is a vendor item" [1][2][3]
"it can be used in early crafting to make worse weapons than you have at the time" [3][4]

or poo poo I don't feel like looking at because I just need a comparison quote and highly doubt we're actually thinking of switching unless this is half the price.

"I need 3 competitors to Veeam for Hyper-V backups"

It's a toss up which is better bingchat or Google but I can find way more things now, it's still nowhere near as good as early Google where you could craft very nice searches and find open FTP servers with the files you wanted.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Before people start talking past each other on this topic, I thought I would post Adam Conover's most recent video on the A.I. craze (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro130m-f_yk) and point out that people are talking about two different things on this page.

The tl;dr of that video is that "generative AI" (ChatGPT, Midjourney, Bard, etc.) is a very different bird than "AI" in general. If you are worrying about AI replacing your job and you are focusing on Midjourney copying artists, or ChatGPT engaging in screenwriting, then you have been thoroughly distracted from the things that have already been and will continue to put people out of work. As people already posted, automation and algorithms have been replacing workers for decades now, and the development of these exciting generative AIs is something that is occurring completely parallel, and somewhat unrelated to those already existing AIs. The EU could ban every single generative AI tomorrow, the Supreme Court could decide that Midjourney really is breaking copyright, etc. and it would not change the fact that completely different AI systems are being developed to replace workers. If you are really worried about AI replacing workers, the target should not be these silly programs that are limited to parroting only what humans have already shown it, but instead arguing for a better social safety-net so that the labor displaced by advances in automation has a way of not starving to death.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

:goonsay:

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Anonymous Zebra posted:

If you are really worried about AI replacing workers, the target should not be these silly programs that are limited to parroting only what humans have already shown it, but instead arguing for a better social safety-net so that the labor displaced by advances in automation has a way of not starving to death.

lol nobody in power is going to do anything, what is going to happen is that corporations who are cancer-driven by the need to see Number More Bigger Up are going to see they can replace millions of white collar jobs with AI systems capable of meeting bare minimum standards, which will make their Number absolutely enormous for a little while, part of which will be used to pay off governments to leave them alone so they can keep doing mass layoffs. there will be no social safety net or compensation waiting for this mass loss of jobs, millions will languish without work, police funding will go into overtime as they use AI systems to do even more spying and killing, and then once the development of autotrucks and general labor robots happens it'll start to displace another million jobs with no social safety net in place. But oh the Number will be loving HUUUUGE, and then suddenly the economy will spiral into a nightmare because nobody has any money to pay for anything and you have millions of incredibly angry people who will quickly become willing to do anything for food and shelter.

"But that sounds insane they'd never let it get that ba-" have you been paying any loving attention to the last few years?

But oh, my God! For just one shining second, The Number will be SO BIG! And that's what matters.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Before people start talking past each other on this topic, I thought I would post Adam Conover's most recent video on the A.I. craze (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro130m-f_yk) and point out that people are talking about two different things on this page.

The tl;dr of that video is that "generative AI" (ChatGPT, Midjourney, Bard, etc.) is a very different bird than "AI" in general. If you are worrying about AI replacing your job and you are focusing on Midjourney copying artists, or ChatGPT engaging in screenwriting, then you have been thoroughly distracted from the things that have already been and will continue to put people out of work. As people already posted, automation and algorithms have been replacing workers for decades now, and the development of these exciting generative AIs is something that is occurring completely parallel, and somewhat unrelated to those already existing AIs. The EU could ban every single generative AI tomorrow, the Supreme Court could decide that Midjourney really is breaking copyright, etc. and it would not change the fact that completely different AI systems are being developed to replace workers. If you are really worried about AI replacing workers, the target should not be these silly programs that are limited to parroting only what humans have already shown it, but instead arguing for a better social safety-net so that the labor displaced by advances in automation has a way of not starving to death.

work sucks, let the robots do it

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

epic bacon posted:

yeah for real, gently caress robots.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

do you have any articles on this subject or are you speaking from personal experience as a storyboard artist in a big studio

Hadlock posted:

AI is absolutely on every exec's radar, it's the new "it" technology, totally displacing bitcoin stuff in conversation, except instead of being a theoretical technology that might be useful someday, it's concretely useful right now and they're all looking at how they can leverage it to keep up with their peers

I am not talking about the AI art stuff directly, more in broad strokes about what the term ~AI~ is meant for and how it's being used right now. I myself only know two artists, one that is more on my level and just kinda fucks around as a form of expression (but I went to :siren: ART COLLEGE :siren: with) and one in a more director/team lead sort of role for the company he works for (also an art college buddy) and both of them are excited for this like we were all excited for the content aware filter when that debuted in Photoshop. The director guy is a bit more apprehensive but from his POV it's because of managing the tool and the results of it, like proofreading in new and unique ways on projects they are working on. For him though, as he works for a single company, he's happy to have another tool to make his job easier as he's at the top of the job security ladder. A privileged position.
The gently caress around artist one is just happy to mess with another form of expression, be whatever that may be, but they are far more skilled than I. None of us are on twitter or social media or anything.

What I mean by AI being soaked in everything is stuff like this:
https://www.techradar.com/news/samsung-workers-leaked-company-secrets-by-using-chatgpt
Notice the response of Samsung is to make an internal AI just for them, not to stop using AI itself.

Major stuff like replacing (as mentioned already) a search engine is the big deal. There is a fundamental shift happening in very large and sweeping ways across everything. I'm sure just like bitcoin or blockchain or mobile before there are a ton of pitch meetings happening with people jingling AI keys in front of clueless execs who only know AI as being the thing everyone is currently talking about. But again, as already mentioned, AI is useful. When you can ask ChatGPT (or Bard or Bing or ______) to do busywork (whatever that may be) and upping production every single company on earth is using AI. To not use it would be like not using spellcheck or excel, it's a silly restriction, even when spilling company secrets.

I am an eternal optimist meaning I have a much more positive outlook in the long term of AI, emphasis on the long term. There isn't anything anyone can actually do about it anyway so this discussion and debate is academic for me. AI is already here in a big massive way that weirdly a lot of people haven't noticed yet. We know how to AI now and it turns out it isn't nearly as hard as we all thought, and we all have lots of computing power just hanging around to be leveraged for all sorts of things. It's expensive sure but so was every other technology when it started.

Art started when people had a moment away from surviving and decided to start creating because they felt the need to. That is not changing, just the idea of where art fits into the system of commerce we all subscribe to at the moment is changing. If that means lots more people start to examine our system of commerce then so be it.

epic bacon posted:

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I should clarify that I am fascinated by the power and potential of this tech, and it could be a world-saving benefit to all, but I am absolutely not going to fool myself into thinking it's going to be used responsibly; it's going to be used to get rid of many workers as possible to maximize next-quarter shareholder gains at the expense of any sustainable future. When they see that they can 'save' billions of dollars by firing 75% of their workforce in a single year, they will leap at that poisoned cake without a second thought or care. They could have their cake and eat it too if they pooled the resources saved into a sustainable UBI and social safety network, but that would mean the Number wouldn't be as gigantic as it COULD be, so they won't do that until it's way way too late.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

what are the companies going to do when 95% of all workers on the planet are out of work and no one can afford their products

(that's the scenario I keep seeing thrown around, anyway)

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Beg for handouts

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Roman posted:

what are the companies going to do when 95% of all workers on the planet are out of work and no one can afford their products

Like I said, they have the cancer-growth mindset, an addict's brain; they're not thinking about that. That literally does not matter, what matters is the next hit. The next high. The next Bigger More Number Up. That is literally all that matters, tomorrow does not exist save as another day they will get another hit and get high off of how enormous their Number is. Addicts of this severity cannot and will not control themselves even if it will kill them. What matters is that, look, LOOK! The Number is so loving HUGE since we laid off half our workers in just 3 months! It's bigger than it's ever been, and it's only going to get bigger bigger BIGGER!

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Two hundred years ago well meaning people cried that photography would kill art and every artist would be out of work because the only thing artists did was make portraits of rich people.
Instead photography not only brought portraiture to regular people it freed up all those artists to create new types of art they couldn't before, and because of that we got movements like impressionism, expressionism, surrealism, pop art, fantasy art and every other thing we enjoy now. Photography didn't kill art, it created opportunities for new art.
I predict that MMLs will do the same thing, all those guys painting rock textures for video games, yet another grimdark space soldier, or even more post apocalypse wasteland concept art will be freed up to do completely new things that haven't been done before and computers can't create.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
It is a sad reflection on the human species that it is a problem for AI to replace human labor. The silver lining is that AI doesn't discriminate, and it's coming for everything. This isn't going to be something that people can ignore or minimize, and it's not something that affects a specific socio-economic group, race or religion. We're all in the same boat, and we're all going to have the same concerns. We're not going to see literally every job replaced in the immediate short term, but everyone is going to be affected before long. Given recent history, I doubt everyone will agree on the specific implementations of what comes next, but we will see movement.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Roman posted:

Some kind of UBI and people who own land continue living in their houses, everyone else playing Xbox at home in their robot built tenaments

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I just wanted to make cool fake movie pictures, man

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
idk i'm p sure ubi can't be effective without rent & price controls and that probably won't happen. they'll just raise prices on everything to eat up the ubi, right?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Roman posted:

I just wanted to make cool fake movie pictures, man

When AI gets to the point you can make movies using it … will it be fake anymore? :catdrugs:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've been trying to get "post-post-apocalyptic" scenes in MJ5. You can't mention "post-apocalyptic" in the prompt or else it turns into a generic post-apocalypse.

The best suggestions I can come up with so far, for anyone interested in the same thing, are

(1) the phrase "(dying+earth+fantasy)":

Haven't had much luck with other formatting like just saying "Dying Earth", but (dying+earth+fantasy) seems to get the point across without including skulls or globes or whatever.

(2) The timescale - set the prompt 5,000+ years after the destruction of something:

(3) Remove any references to "wasteland" or "apocalyptic" or anything of the sort in your prompt.

jungle overgrowth overtaking the ruins of a city, 5000 years after it was destroyed. (dying+earth+fantasy) scene. radiant sun-bleached saltlands. --ar 3:2

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Something I found to get by MJ's limit of no multiple distinct characters in a scene was to make the characters two sisters (specified as different ages) played by the same actor and wearing different clothes. As long as you don't need the clothes to be way too different in colors it kinda works. It seems to break down when there's more people in the scene (like a crowd) and it'll sometimes make the other one a man (because it forgets to make them a girl or something). But it's nice to have the characters together at least for a few scenes. It'll be a big day if that limit ever gets fixed.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/04/artists-astound-with-ai-generated-film-stills-from-a-parallel-universe/

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

https://twitter.com/SirWrender/status/1643319553789947905?s=20
https://twitter.com/LinusEkenstam/status/1643719014127116298?s=20
https://twitter.com/SmokeAwayyy/status/1643869236392230912?s=20

We are beyond lightspeed. it's all so fast that the very idea of 'prompting' at all might be over shortly, then to be forgotten about besides a little footnote to dazzle kids in the future with.

EDIT
I swiped these from an extremely comprehensive reddit post:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ChatGPT/comments/12diapw/gpt4_week_3_chatbots_are_yesterdays_news_ai/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Finally I get to yell ENHANCE at the screen and have it work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHwjceFcF2Q