Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

ShowTime posted:

I noticed the colors seemed a little different too. Not bad different, but off what i've seen before. They even looked like orange sabers too me, just red-orange, or dark orange? Not like the orange Rey ended up with. Rey's seemed like a light shade of orange.

Rey's rocking a yellow blade (previously seen used by the Jedi Temple guards during the end of TCW's fifth season)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Darko posted:

If you're watching these shows, you may as well just watch Clone Wars and Rebels. They're both definitely better than Obi Wan.

There's like 10+ seasons of 20+ episodes ain't nobody got time for that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I saw a camrip of the Andor season 2. Not much to say but the music is still aces.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

In ten years time, probably now even, this franchise is going to be completely impenetrable for anyone new to the series.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
you mean the 9 mainline movies didn't already do it?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

site posted:

you mean the 9 mainline movies didn't already do it?

I’ve driven a hard line between Lucas-blessed material and the Disney stuff, but counting 1-9 is simple enough, if arduous.

But to understand the Ashoka show you need to watch at least six movies and two tv shows, maybe three of you count Mando. That’s insane.

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 7, 2023

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
oh you mean 6 movies and 6 seasons of clone wars?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

They're going to keep adding more on-ramps for kids to get into the franchise. The OT, PT, ST and Filoni'a cartoons have all brought new audiences in. Mando probably did too to a lesser extent. There'll be something else designed to do that soon enough.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Boris Galerkin posted:

There's like 10+ seasons of 20+ episodes ain't nobody got time for that.

The episodes are 20m each, it’s not a gigantic time sink or anything. Rebels is probably about twice as long as Obi-Wan while being way less poo poo (not to say it’s all great). Otoh I assume they will do a “story so far” segment at the start of Ahsoka since it seems pretty clear the show is just going to be Rebels 2: Live

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
It's also not like the overarching plot is so complicated somebody couldn't pretty easily catch up with context clues or like, small amounts of expository dialogue in whatever the new show in question is. Or if the overarching plot isn't particularly relevant to the show in question then it doesn't matter at all, something like Andor stands alone pretty well aside from having to know that it's set when the Empire is in power.

skasion posted:

The episodes are 20m each, it’s not a gigantic time sink or anything. Rebels is probably about twice as long as Obi-Wan while being way less poo poo (not to say it’s all great). Otoh I assume they will do a “story so far” segment at the start of Ahsoka since it seems pretty clear the show is just going to be Rebels 2: Live

I think your estimates are slightly off, Rebels is a day and half of actual time to watch whereas Obi Wan is 4 and a half hours. Clone Wars is nearly 3 days. If someone were watching 2 hours every night that'd still be a solid month or so of watching so it is a bit of an investment.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 7, 2023

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

skasion posted:

Rebels is probably about twice as long as Obi-Wan while being way less poo poo (not to say it’s all great).

Rebels is 75 episodes against Obi Wan's 6.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I only know who those folks in the trailer are through cultural osmosis, IDGAF about animation generally so never watched the cartoons (made a rare exception for The Dad Batch but S2 was so boring I’m done), and not any read SW novels either. In any event, a fun enough trailer I guess, am lolling at the blatant rules lawyering of bad guys with orange sabres (totally not breaking the rules with more Sith, nope sir) and looking forward to seeing the fat little droid everyone loves murder some folks.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I find it hard to believe there won't be another canon reset some ways down the line, it's just inevitably entailed by endless trash storytelling. A new creative team comes in, the people who liked the old stuff start dying off, the temptation to empty the dumpster and start over just becomes too strong

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The Ahsoka show looks extremely Volume-heavy, which I'm fine with in principle but after Boba Fett, Obi Wan, and Mando S3, I'm extremely wary of any Disney output that doesn't have Andor's level of care in the production.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

skasion posted:

I think you’re way underselling this, there’s like 45 hours of clone wars episodes

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Jehde posted:

So, much, Star Wars :neckbeard:

I'm hyped for basically everything, including the new video game coming out next month, and even more so for the Dark Forces inspired game that studio is going to work on next.

I binged through both Clone Wars and Rebels in 2021 for the first time, and they quickly became some of my favourite Star Wars, especially Rebels. The series explored some fun stuff in the universe, and the characters really elevated my enjoyment of the Star Wars. Sure Ezra is kinda whatever and the others can be a bit mary sue, but I grew to really like them. Hera quickly became my favourite pilot, Chopper my favourite astromech dethroning my childhood icon of R2, Sabine my favourite mando similarly dethroning Fett. And then both Kanan and Ahsoka becoming my favourite jedis that cover their respective flavours of jedi (classic vs nu) super well.

And yeah of course I was a dorky kid that thought the silent bounty hunter with a cool helmet, carbine, and jetpack in Empire Strikes Back was the coolest thing ever, and read about their weird cultural habits on wookiepedia. And now we just have an adventure of the week live action TV series that just explores that stuff.

And now they're doing HBO style heavy dramas that also explore Star Wars really well too??

I'm feeling really spoiled with the direction of Star Wars lately.

Love the Dark Jedis' sabre colour.

I'm with you. And I gotta say, it's refreshing reading a comment like this from a goon in a thread I go to expecting to read red letter grumps hate watch Star Wars.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

site posted:

oh you mean 6 movies and 6 seasons of clone wars?

And then nothing else, if you ask me. Live your life. Be free of the burden of bad content.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

She “lost” her blue sabers at the end of Clone Wars. In Rebels/Mandalorian she had white sabers as she no longer identifies as a Jedi. also it’s cool as hell.

It's basically the closest they've gotten to "Grey Jedi" or whatever they're called, another EU thing.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Kart Barfunkel posted:

And then nothing else, if you ask me. Live your life. Be free of the burden of bad content.

rebels is better than clone wars

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

stev posted:

Rebels is 75 episodes against Obi Wan's 6.

1st AD posted:

I think you’re way underselling this, there’s like 45 hours of clone wars episodes

yeah also keep in mind there's a big difference between watching a show 1 episode a week as it airs vs watching 45 hours + x hours of rebels to "catch up to the story"

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Sentinel Red posted:

I only know who those folks in the trailer are through cultural osmosis, IDGAF about animation generally so never watched the cartoons (made a rare exception for The Dad Batch but S2 was so boring I’m done), and not any read SW novels either. In any event, a fun enough trailer I guess, am lolling at the blatant rules lawyering of bad guys with orange sabres (totally not breaking the rules with more Sith, nope sir) and looking forward to seeing the fat little droid everyone loves murder some folks.

Sith is an ideology - you can be an evil Force-sensitive without being a Sith

The current rumblings are that they're a fallen Jedi and his apprentice; a Dark Jedi, if you will

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

It did take me almost a full year to get through both Clone Wars and Rebels, but it was definitely worth it to me. This is watching a couple episodes (they're commonly grouped in arcs) a night, but not watching Star Wars every night.

AndyElusive posted:

I'm with you. And I gotta say, it's refreshing reading a comment like this from a goon in a thread I go to expecting to read red letter grumps hate watch Star Wars.

:respek:

Us Star Wars enjoyers are out there, we're just not hate posting constantly because we're spending our time enjoying Star Wars instead.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 7, 2023

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Hiring a team of scientists to look for one frame from the Ahsoka trailer that actually looks good.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://twitter.com/DocBrownLloyd/status/1644108665362997249?s=20

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Tender Bender posted:

The Ahsoka show looks extremely Volume-heavy, which I'm fine with in principle but after Boba Fett, Obi Wan, and Mando S3, I'm extremely wary of any Disney output that doesn't have Andor's level of care in the production.

Yea exactly. I'm not really that fussed about whether it's filmed on the Volume or not because I dont think that makes a show bad, I think what's been the worst parts about the last few years have been the major drop in quality of the writing and storytelling. I've been pretty disappointed with their last outings, especially Boba and Obi Wan. Not counting Andor because that is such a separate thing from a separate creative mind/ team. Mando S3 is fine but if you compare it to the previous 2 seasons it is such a drop. I'm slightly more hopeful for Ashoka because it's Filoni's baby and he's completely hands on with it.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Hiring a team of scientists to look for one frame from the Ahsoka trailer that actually looks good.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Mandalorian season 3 definitely feels like one of those "everyone is having a blast" productions. Sort of like an adam sandler film

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

No Mods No Masters posted:

Mandalorian season 3 definitely feels like one of those "everyone is having a blast" productions. Sort of like an adam sandler film

That's definitely the vibe I get from the most recent episode. Just a bunch of guest stars getting to have fun with the cast and crew. A nice little break between actual plot beats

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Also the new game isn’t out next month Jedhe - April 28th!

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Looks like one of the senators alongside Mon Mothma in the Ahsoka trailer is officially identified as Hamato Xiono, the father of Kaz from Star Wars Resistance. Nice to see something of a call back to that series. And thinking about it, Christopher Sean is the right age to play Kaz in the NJO movie... hahah.

Also their full names appear to be Baylon Skoll and Shin Hati. Which, being a Filoni thing... https://norse-mythology.org/skoll-hati/

Teek fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 7, 2023

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Oh right, we're in next month now, only 3 weeks away now!

It's not a TV show, but I love Jedi Fallen Order for the same reason I like any Star Wars thing, the cool places and the interesting characters it explores. If you can put up with dark souls lite combat, it's a good dose of Star Wars, and the first worthwhile Star Wars videogame in a long time.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

I can’t tell…

E: some people speculate that the male dark Jedi may be Joruus C'baoth?

it looked exactly like i imagined joruus looking like lol from the books

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

Oh poo poo, here we go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnzNZ0Mdx4I

No Ezra but we get the back of Thrawn. And a little wink wink “heir to the empire”. Potential is there… don’t gently caress it up.

im losing my mind omg

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I liked the Soulslike combat; I'd say my big issue with the game is all the time spent backtracking.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
mando 3 is cool. i like it a lot so far, its fun to me. but one thing i DONT LIKE is power creep. one thing that i liked the best about mando s1 was how he was just a dude in a big galaxy. the razorcrest being a piece of poo poo space rv was dope. when he was in serious danger of getting owned by those pirate guys and 3 xwings arrived and decimated the space station in 1 second it really sent home how little he was. i liked that. but hes getting very powerful. and also starbuck is very powerful too. too powerful even. and now the have an imperator class star dreadnaught at their disposal... wow.

but i like din. hes my friend. in space.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I gave that game an honest try when it was on PS+ but I was shocked how buggy it still was several years after release. Hit an infinite loading screen on the way back to the ship on the first planet and just snap uninstalled it

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
the lighting and set design of the jack black planet reminded me of jeff goldblum planet from thor movie

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Smythe posted:

mando 3 is cool. i like it a lot so far, its fun to me. but one thing i DONT LIKE is power creep. one thing that i liked the best about mando s1 was how he was just a dude in a big galaxy. the razorcrest being a piece of poo poo space rv was dope. when he was in serious danger of getting owned by those pirate guys and 3 xwings arrived and decimated the space station in 1 second it really sent home how little he was. i liked that. but hes getting very powerful. and also starbuck is very powerful too. too powerful even. and now the have an imperator class star dreadnaught at their disposal... wow.

but i like din. hes my friend. in space.

More often than not he still tends to either eat poo poo in personal combat, or they really lay on that the only reason he wins the day is his invincibility suit lets him heedlessly tank would-be killshots. Some poo poo he still outright runs from. He got ambushed by spider droid. Thrown off the sandcrawler. etc wtc. He's cunning and good but like 70-80th percentile in the galaxy good.

What's kind of weird is even though his personal combat abilities get reigned in in the writing and choreography, he's an absolutely peerless pilot, like Wedge/Poe level.

It's like the GM started a mercenary campaign and as Din's player kept getting into dogfights he picked up the ace career and started putting all his XP there in spite of nominally being a gunman/bounty hunter.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Owlbear Camus posted:

More often than not he still tends to either eat poo poo in personal combat, or they really lay on that the only reason he wins the day is his invincibility suit lets him heedlessly tank would-be killshots. Some poo poo he still outright runs from. He got ambushed by spider droid. Thrown off the sandcrawler. etc wtc. He's cunning and good but like 70-80th percentile in the galaxy good.

What's kind of weird is even though his personal combat abilities get reigned in in the writing and choreography, he's an absolutely peerless pilot, like Wedge/Poe level.

It's like the GM started a mercenary campaign and as Din's player kept getting into dogfights he picked up the ace career and started putting all his XP there in spite of nominally being a gunman/bounty hunter.

This is just because you can’t take a nice fall and get back up in fighter combat the way you can in (Star Wars) hand to hand. If you fall down you tend to explode, or at least wreck your ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I want a flashback spin-off where we learn about Jack Black’s Imperial exploits.