Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Tae posted:

why didn't you pick yao yao

I did. she's even C1. i just didnt know she was a healer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yaoyao is a healer and a really good one at that

Kale
May 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/HoYoFair_0/status/1644188245838929921

Looks like they're having another HoyoFair next weekend where they showcase the real content creation type stuff that puts most youtubers to shame in a compilation video. I like Raiden vs Albedo with the umbrella one where its clearly not going well for the later at all.

e: Also Dehya's love of makeup seems to be pushed a lot more as a character trait in Japan than here. In the American one it's just a generic Hapy Birthday message, in the Japanese one it's supposed to be Dehya addressing the player saying, "Today's make-up is beautiful? Haha, thank you. If I can get a compliment from you, the time spent will be worth it! Now then, I'll take you to a hidden spot in the desert that only mercenaries know about. It's far away and the sun is strong, so promise me—if you get sick, tell me right away!"

There might be something like this in the in game mail though, haven't checked yet today, but it seems like they are trying to play down the makeup thing over here a bit compared to Japan/China etc. because it might be seen as uncool and male gaze stereotyping of female characters dialogue, whereas in Japan it's very readily identified as gap moe.

Kale fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Apr 7, 2023

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

https://twitter.com/tsukiakii/status/1644069030691590152

ReVerve
Jul 13, 2001

Select and make your first pick.

Biscuit Hider
Well who else read Dehya's B-Day email like huh?, WTF? you want to do what at your age with your peers, I wouldn't do that with Candace and then validation as we discover Candace isn't loving around.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Dehya? Who's Dehya

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Candace just destroying villagers with bags of rice

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Meowywitch posted:

Dehya? Who's Dehya

Donno, but I got a birthday letter from aloy, so there's my annual reminder she exists.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Candace just destroying villagers with bags of rice

surely it'd be beans.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Gotta balance personality and character power.

It makes Hu Tao a bizarre outlier.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Gotta balance personality and character power.

It makes Pyro a bizarre outlier.
FTFY. Yoimiya, Xiangling, and Klee all have wonderful and interesting personalities, and they're all exceptionally strong damagedealers. If anything, Dehya being as lovely as she is despite being a pyro character is the outlier.

Kale
May 14, 2010

After Spending about 160 or so fate tokens to get 1 constellation for Shenhe in retrospect I'm not sure it feels worth it. It kind of brings up again how because of the ultra low rates, yet pity system I barely think of it as a gacha system. They could just as soon switch it to a model of exchange 70 fate tokens straight up for a 50/50 chance at the rate up 5* star during that 20 day period and do away with the supposed 0.5% chance to get them at any given time during said 20 day period and it wouldn't make a lick of difference to me honestly. I'm not sure if the current system was meant to instill that feeling but that's literally how I think of it after 3 years.

Anyway, based on the fact that Ayaka/Shenhe only has data up to day 18 and still has 2 days to go with it's position on the China IOS charts actually going up today it's looking like it's going to pass all the Raiden Banners except the most recent one with Ayato and possibly even clear Nahida/Yoimiya for 3rd all time if it can add about 1.2 million in 3ish days worth of data to still add, which seems rather likely, again considering it's ranking position actually went up on China IOS today. That's positively mental and I did not see that coming, I would have thought maybe 5th all time tops about a week in, but more realistically not much better than her first rerun. This is Ayaka's third banner and one of them was a 2x extended banner and this is Shenhe's second albeit after a long time and while they go well together she's not exactly meta material unless you're pairing her with Ayaka, Ganyu or if you're F2P probably nephew Chongyun.

Crazy that this patch is probably going to make it's gross revenue target for Hoyoverse after all and be carried by the reruns rather than the brand new release.

e: Like man to be completely honest, if you had asked me how an Ayaka/Shenhe just before it went live I'd have said maybe 18-21 mil range for China IOS. Again it's like Ayaka has had 4 banners now and Shenhe is pretty limited in her team comps albeit extremely good at the thing that she does. I'm now kind of intrigued to see what happens with Nahida/Nilou since it's again pairing a meta character rerun with a limited team comp character that is ultimately really good at the thing that she does albeit Nahida has been available for a 1/3 of the time Ayaka has before her rerun starts so you would think it'd perform even better in China, but who knows.....

Kale fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 9, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MoonCrab posted:

Oh, the Scara fight. You're probably struggling because it's the most "mechanics" boss in the game. If you waste your time trying to hit him using your characters you're just gonna get hit and possibly die. Instead you should just be running around picking up digicores to charge up your digimon, and only hit him when he's stunned. Shieldbot Zhongli is the best character for this fight, since you can ignore his attacks even more. But Hu Tao is one of the worst, since your personal damage output isn't super important so you damage yourself for no reason. Collei/Tighnari are pretty useful at breaking his things when he does his big attack.

The way this is phrased is a little misleading (and makes it sound like you're supposed to directly attack him after shooting him with the thing you get from picking up the cores).

As far as I'm aware, you basically never want to attack him until you fully deplete his bar (and then quickly destroy the things he sounds out, absorb their cores, and zip up to the platform to finally do normal attacking against him).

Kale posted:

It kind of brings up again how because of the ultra low rates, yet pity system I barely think of it as a gacha system. They could just as soon switch it to a model of exchange 70 fate tokens straight up for a 50/50 chance at the rate up 5* star during that 20 day period and do away with the supposed 0.5% chance to get them at any given time during said 20 day period and it wouldn't make a lick of difference to me honestly. I'm not sure if the current system was meant to instill that feeling but that's literally how I think of it after 3 years.

This is also how I think about it. The chance of getting anything before pity is so low I assume it won't happen. It's always baffling to me to see people who have been playing for a long time doing gacha rolls and being like "okay I'm feeling lucky for this one." It seems like playing the game for a long time would ingrain in you the reality that you're almost never going to get stuff outside of pity.

The other gacha game I play, Arknights, has much higher rates - in that it feels like I get a 6* every 3-4 10-pulls, and it's not uncommon to get two in back-to-back 10-pulls.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

The way this is phrased is a little misleading (and makes it sound like you're supposed to directly attack him after shooting him with the thing you get from picking up the cores).

As far as I'm aware, you basically never want to attack him until you fully deplete his bar (and then quickly destroy the things he sounds out, absorb their cores, and zip up to the platform to finally do normal attacking against him).

This is also how I think about it. The chance of getting anything before pity is so low I assume it won't happen. It's always baffling to me to see people who have been playing for a long time doing gacha rolls and being like "okay I'm feeling lucky for this one." It seems like playing the game for a long time would ingrain in you the reality that you're almost never going to get stuff outside of pity.

The other gacha game I play, Arknights, has much higher rates - in that it feels like I get a 6* every 3-4 10-pulls, and it's not uncommon to get two in back-to-back 10-pulls.

My take is that most of the people that do pulls for "content" you're basically just watching theater. Unfortunately for content creators this is like 50% of their entire content with these sorts of games. To my understanding 5% chance for high rarity items/characters is more the standard model across the industry. Genshin seems to get away with a lot because Mihoyo seems to struck upon something that just gets inside your average anime gamer fans heads with their character designs and personalities in such a way, that while I can't say for sure is unprecedented, is highly unusual and leads to scenarios like what I accounted in my last post where even as an Ayaka main with Shenhe on her team that just pulled for the later's constellation I'm like "Huh?!" Especially for a game where unless your really trying to make sure your 36*ing every abyss it's not really incentivizing or subtly nudging you towards investing in it's gacha/weapon pulling systems in order to manage it's combat focused quests and scenarios.

Like I remember playing FFRK and that one definitely wanted you to have at least an Awakening tier or better burst, that started getting introduced from I believe it's 3rd year on, on at least one character in your party if you even wanted to think about clearing anything above 260 difficulty. By the time it was doing difficulty 400+ 5 star magicite boss fights or so you were looking at, for entry level, a burst/sync tier ability on every single member in your party and at least one 2nd generation elemental/realm chain burst just to make the fight even feasible, and probably both a sync and an awakening burst since you could only use each one once per fight and 1 instance of the multitude of basically mandatory perks they granted may not be enough DPS/healing/buff upkeep to make it through the whole fight since they only last for about 20-25 in game timer seconds.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
The gatcha system is like being beaten with reeds. The first few wallops don’t hurt but the 4th-8th 10 pulls are torture.

I’ve had some great luck but it’s mitigated by all the poo poo luck.

.. but maybe the grat luck will come back!!!

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Kale posted:

Like I remember playing FFRK and that one definitely wanted you to have at least an Awakening tier or better burst, that started getting introduced from I believe it's 3rd year on, on at least one character in your party if you even wanted to think about clearing anything above 260 difficulty. By the time it was doing difficulty 400+ 5 star magicite boss fights or so you were looking at, for entry level, a burst/sync tier ability on every single member in your party and at least one 2nd generation elemental/realm chain burst just to make the fight even feasible

I hate to say this, but you were bad at the game if this is how you feel. Awakening Soulbreaks weren't even introduced until after the D400+ tier content was about halfway done with, so the idea of them being mandatory for D260+ is silly unless you think nobody cleared that content for like a year until the powercreep was released. People, including me, beat a few 5*s with nothing better than a BSB (Madeen was an easy target because Raines BSB is so good).

D450 Dark Odin if the first content that could be said to reasonably require ONE Awakening SB per party, but plenty of us cleared certain variations of that fight without one (Cloud/Seph could just completely ignore this requirement). D500 6* Magicites definitely required at least one, optimally two, but that was like a year or maybe more out from the introduction of Awakenings so you could reasonably be expected to have one by them. Syncs didn't debut until the second 6* fight and weren't mandatory for any of them -- they just functioned as an alternative to having an Awakening.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
https://twitter.com/GenshinImpact/status/1645308130857820161

Dendro, not geo, catgirl.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Holy gently caress Catgirls are real

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Now the real question is how will the dual Nilou / Nahida banner do with a (dendro?) catgirl teased for a future release?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i doubt shell have any significant impact considering how good nahida is

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
It's so exciting having a new character that hasn't been 95% leaked by the time it's officially announced.

Kale
May 14, 2010

:lol: People debating online whether her cat ears are real or not when it even says in her profile that she's a Nekomata and Youkai. Mihoyo designs seem to have some sort of Zettai Ryouiki thing going on, only with the upper torso lately. It's like some sort golden ratio for amount of bare shoulders, back and midriff are shown on a given female character most of the time.

e: That's a lie, it's not really gender discriminate this upper torso Zettai Ryouiki thing. :lol:

e2: Kirara shares the exact same name with Sango's Nekomata companion she rides around on in the Inuyasha manga/anime and I have a hunch it's not entirely a coincidence and probably a tribute.

Kale fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 10, 2023

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
What the gently caress is a nekomata?

fake edit: Oh god this is like learning how the bake-danuki in genshin are based on actual Japanese mythology of racoon dogs with magical shapeshifting scrotums who play tricks on people.

:nws:

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Lol

But fr, those scrotes seem convenient as hell

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Sanctum posted:

fake edit: Oh god this is like learning how the bake-danuki in genshin are based on actual Japanese mythology of racoon dogs with magical shapeshifting scrotums who play tricks on people.

And that's why Mario can fly with the Tanuki suit :eng101:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

everything in inazuma is based on real mythological creatures. oni, kitsune, the tanuki, nekomata. even the shogun and scaramouche puppet body stuff is based off karakuri plays.

they're usually pretty accurate to the mythology, too. for instance, kitsune are famously nine-tailed foxes, but in yae's burst she only has five tails. this is because she's 'only' 500 years old in-universe and in the mythology kitsune gained a tail every 100 years they were alive.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 10, 2023

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
It took me getting norovirus to finally catch up on all the story quests.

Oh gently caress xiphos moonlight sword is coming back am I really gonna wish on a weapon banner for refinements for a 4* weapon? A weapon that passively buffs your whole party with energy recharge is pretty dang good though. It's like Kazuha's BiS because it gives both EM and ~34% ER to the user so it's especially good if you use emblem of severed fate on basically everyone. My party gains +12.7% ER (at R1) which adds to emblem of severed fate damage as opposed to the fav or sac sword which contribute to energy by generating more particles.

Kazuha is already game-breaking so I think I'll save my wishes for new characters

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

nahida and nilou's weapons are pretty eh so i wouldnt recommend wishing on this weapon banner. outside of their associated characters id say the only other characters who really get much out of the weapons are

key of khajnisut: kuki, layla
thousand floating dreams: lisa, sucrose, maybe hyperbloom barbara and kokomi?

neither of them give crit so they're pretty limited in their applicability

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
The weapon banner is fighting with the character banner as very few people have all 3 of those 4 stars at C6.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Kind of a sweet weapon banner. Nothing to roll on in 3.7 either. I don't really use my nilou though so maybe will stop before 63 (is that weapon banner soft pity? hard for me to find it).

Kale
May 14, 2010

I sometimes forget how many people Genshin has attracted into playing it that are unfamiliar with Asian mythology tropes and actually did a double take thinking people were pulling my leg not knowing what a Nekomata is? Like this game probably is a lot of people outside of Japan and China's first time finding out what things like Qilin, Kitsune, Oni, Tanuki, Nekomata and Youkai etc. are.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Yay soon I will surely have a Layla

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

https://twitter.com/kurisuu101/status/1645356464717058048

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

gandlethorpe posted:

It's so exciting having a new character that hasn't been 95% leaked by the time it's officially announced.

Oh yeah good point. What was her story, was she guessed at being a geo sword and then 4* star 5* star back and forth or was that someone else?

Meowywitch posted:

Holy gently caress Catgirls are real

Ahem

https://twitter.com/GenshinImpact/status/1325075538663206912

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Kinda weirded out by her actual cat feet/paws. I guess its possible other characters have animal feet too but everyone else is wearing shoes

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Kale posted:

I sometimes forget how many people Genshin has attracted into playing it that are unfamiliar with Asian mythology tropes and actually did a double take thinking people were pulling my leg not knowing what a Nekomata is? Like this game probably is a lot of people outside of Japan and China's first time finding out what things like Qilin, Kitsune, Oni, Tanuki, Nekomata and Youkai etc. are.
Fuckin' zoomers. It's like they've never heard of Touhou or something. Back in my day...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Kinda weirded out by her actual cat feet/paws. I guess its possible other characters have animal feet too but everyone else is wearing shoes
diona seems like she has actual paws too going by how she walks on her toes

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Mythology is also why Sara easily kicks Itto's rear end anytime the two are together, tengu are stronger than oni

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
The catgirl...

I suppose I can see why they thought she might be a geo at some point. Seems like she might be our last dendro for a while, hopefully she's solid.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
All the ladies have hosed up lower legs and feet in this game. At least the new catgirl has a reason for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Yeah, it's kinda gross looking. Diona also has cat feet but she wears boots over them.