Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Legitimately affordable housing means that someone in their 20s with a typical job should be able to afford a 15-year mortgage on a reasonable house, and a couple in a similar position should be able to afford a house large enough to accommodate kids. 30-year mortgages are already a symptom of wildly unaffordable housing and it's hilarious that we've normalized it so hard that we're going to accept 40-year mortgages like they're no big deal.

Paying for your house your entire goddamn life is not "owning" your home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

actionjackson posted:

lol

400k loan, 6.5%

equity after 5/10/15/20 years is 6.3%/15%/ 27.3%/44% for 30 year, ~2500/month

equity after 5/10/15/20 years is 3%/7.3%/ 13.3%/21.3% for 40 year, ~2340/month

it's only a 9.4% decrease in your montly payment, but you lose half your equity

That's assuming the value of the house won't go up.... :lol:

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

In 10 years that $400k house is now $600k and you have 38.2% equity not 7.3%.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the quaintest thing to me about those numbers is the 400K principal

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Introducing the all new, 6% interest zero principal payment 100 year mortgage . You can't lose!!! Just roll your equity gains into repairs via helocs!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Value increases are meaningless until you realize them

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think house prices always go up is not universally true especially for politically disadvantaged people

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Value increases are meaningless until you realize them

We were talking about equity in a house, it absolutely applies.

euphronius posted:

I think house prices always go up is not universally true especially for politically disadvantaged people

You don't think people in high value markets will get 40 year loans?

Apr 7, 2003

Fozzy The Bear posted:

We were talking about equity in a house, it absolutely applies.

No it doesn't

My house is worth either $60K, $120K, or $220-250K depending on who you ask

It's meaningless until someone writes a check for it

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea
Sometimes when I'm out for a walk I'll pass by this abortion and chuckle to myself that they somehow haven't sold it for their $610k price tag in 7 months

Apr 7, 2003

Beached Whale posted:

Sometimes when I'm out for a walk I'll pass by this abortion and chuckle to myself that they somehow haven't sold it for their $610k price tag in 7 months

Please refer to my earlier post about the Sunday St Gingerbread House

My wife is insanely pissed about that

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Beached Whale posted:

Cool color scheme for an electric guitar...

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

Please refer to my earlier post about the Sunday St Gingerbread House

My wife is insanely pissed about that

That's a pretty cool house, not surprised the sellers agent lied to you about it, or that your realtor didn't question it, since they both stand to benefit from getting you ginned up.

Apr 7, 2003

External Organs posted:

Cool color scheme for an electric guitar...

Here's what that house used to look like, if you were wondering.

Apr 7, 2003

Beached Whale posted:

That's a pretty cool house, not surprised the sellers agent lied to you about it, or that your realtor didn't question it, since they both stand to benefit from getting you ginned up.

Honestly had we started bidding up on it, it would have got a lot worse, so I'm not particularly upset about walking away.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

incredible

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

No it doesn't

It's even more meaningless when you still need somewhere else to live after you sell. Unless they're downsizing substantially or moving to a much cheaper market, most people are probably just going to roll that existing equity into a worse loan.

Apr 7, 2003

I think I'm just gonna live here for a while

It's got problems. There's a hole in the floor in my office. The doors aren't great and don't close good. The ceilings aren't completely even.

It's also $700/mo and I own it.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

No it doesn't

gently caress off back to pittsburgh in your $60k house you dumb motherfucker.
The OP that I replied to was talking about equity:

actionjackson posted:

lol

400k loan, 6.5%

equity after 5/10/15/20 years is 6.3%/15%/ 27.3%/44% for 30 year, ~2500/month

equity after 5/10/15/20 years is 3%/7.3%/ 13.3%/21.3% for 40 year, ~2340/month

it's only a 9.4% decrease in your montly payment, but you lose half your equity
I was talking about equity. Yes, in 10-20 years we don't know exactly how much houses will be worth, but its safe to assume that they will be worth more than they are today.

Please gently caress off with your stupid bullshit. Stick to talking about your $60k house and your $100k job.

Apr 7, 2003

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I was talking about equity. Yes, in 10-20 years we don't know exactly how much houses will be worth, but its safe to assume that they will be worth more than they are today.

Please gently caress off with your stupid bullshit. Stick to talking about your $60k house and your $100k job.

lol you're so mad

Apr 7, 2003

Equity is meaningless until someone writes me a check for it.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

equity is the sacred doctrine of the middle class you're not allowed to just point out that it is meaningless bullshit

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

wow I’m stunned to say that the shittiest ugliest house I've ever seen is actually an improvement on how it used to look

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

apparently the 40 year thing is only for refinancing. well, for now

Fozzy The Bear posted:

i'm just giving the percentage of principal that will be paid off, why are you getting so mad

yes your home value may be higher in the future, but that's irrelevant for comparing the percentages to each other. no matter what the value is later on, you will still have paid off double the principal with 30 year vs. 40 year.

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 04:45 on Apr 7, 2023

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Fozzy The Bear posted:

haha settle down, you’re too wrong to get this worked up

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

the bitcoin of weed posted:

equity is the sacred doctrine of the middle class you're not allowed to just point out that it is meaningless bullshit

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
So about 90% of loans are 30 year mortgages. How long until they are mostly 40 year mortgages?

Also how the gently caress are Shittsburg home prices skyrocketing?! This is almost as bad as Palestine OH.

vyLkinSinksTheShip
Apr 6, 2023

by vyelkin

Beached Whale posted:

"i can just go without 610k for 7 months"

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
40 years is barely making a dent in the monthly payment. They're going to have to come up with even more exotic bullshit to keep the game going.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Nothus posted:

40 years is barely making a dent in the monthly payment. They're going to have to come up with even more exotic bullshit to keep the game going.

it’s just going to become a pure rental model is all

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Nothus posted:

It requires price appreciation. Buyers are making a leveraged bet that the price of the house will go up. In other words, this is leveraged derivatives trading of individual, illiquid assets.

Apr 7, 2003

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/04/07/worst-places-to-buy-a-home-if-you-want-it-to-grow-in-value.html

A list of the worst markets to buy a house if you want it to appreciate in value.

(Values all went up during the measurement period, just not enough!)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Lmao at 5 of the top 6 being in Illinois

What the gently caress, I guess my perception is totally warped by being here. Most of the worst cities aren't even on that list!

But yeah, inflation calc says 100k in 98 is 186k now. So getting 60% return in that time stinks

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 21:50 on Apr 7, 2023

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
if you didn’t spend the intervening quarter century using it for shelter I'd have to agree that it's a terrible investment vehicle

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/04/07/worst-places-to-buy-a-home-if-you-want-it-to-grow-in-value.html

A list of the worst markets to buy a house if you want it to appreciate in value.

(Values all went up during the measurement period, just not enough!)

Illinois is that bad?

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
i dont have any facts and figures besides living in illinois a lot but those cities are all dying

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

mastershakeman posted:

Lmao at 5 of the top 6 being in Illinois

What the gently caress, I guess my perception is totally warped by being here. Most of the worst cities aren't even on that list!

But yeah, inflation calc says 100k in 98 is 186k now. So getting 60% return in that time stinks

It's basically our ptax. It keeps valuations lower because home buyers tend to want a month to month cost at the end of the spreadsheet.

Voters keep on voting for tax increases, and the services those taxes pay for are good.

I like Illinois so much.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
As long as some vets don't live in a mansion on the north shore, they pay approximately $0 in ptax because the USA sent impressionable young idiots to war zones and broke their brains and turned their blood into toxic sludge from burnpits, and Illinois is good for that small charity.

A local angry upset person is upset that there are three, counted himself, THREE households in our subdivision that pay ZERO PROPERTY TAXES and he calculates all the 487 other homes have to foot an extra $ten lattes a year for their freeloading.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

err posted:

Illinois is that bad?

yeah, secondary cities in Illinois are all remnants of long-established, but then Pleasantville-era heyday boom developed, "urban" cores that took longer than the rest of the Rust Belt to die. It's sort of... like a meeting of industry and agriculture at the threshold of the plains, with a heavy lean on the last remaining public institutions that are just now being cored out. I kinda think of the extractive (in the form of calories) / productive (in the form of other stuff) industry "frontier" rusting from east to west, and it's pummelling Illinois and Missouri now.

Springfield is the seat of government and nothing else, in the middle of nowhere. Peoria used to be Caterpillar's world headquarters but they left 5 years ago for Chicago burbs. Bloomington/Normal area has two state universities one of which was chartered to train public school teachers (oops). Rockford is the second largest city in the state and managed to turn around and pick up a big UPS hub after Chrysler bailed, but is just decaying as their bet on the healthcare "industry" reverts to profit-seeking and extraction of patient wealth.

in a vacuum and a reality where capitalism doesn't make everything loving suck poo poo rear end all the time, Illinois is a really interesting place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Gunshow Poophole posted:

yeah, secondary cities in Illinois are all remnants of long-established, but then Pleasantville-era heyday boom developed, "urban" cores that took longer than the rest of the Rust Belt to die. It's sort of... like a meeting of industry and agriculture at the threshold of the plains, with a heavy lean on the last remaining public institutions that are just now being cored out. I kinda think of the extractive (in the form of calories) / productive (in the form of other stuff) industry "frontier" rusting from east to west, and it's pummelling Illinois and Missouri now.

Springfield is the seat of government and nothing else, in the middle of nowhere. Peoria used to be Caterpillar's world headquarters but they left 5 years ago for Chicago burbs. Bloomington/Normal area has two state universities one of which was chartered to train public school teachers (oops). Rockford is the second largest city in the state and managed to turn around and pick up a big UPS hub after Chrysler bailed, but is just decaying as their bet on the healthcare "industry" reverts to profit-seeking and extraction of patient wealth.

in a vacuum and a reality where capitalism doesn't make everything loving suck poo poo rear end all the time, Illinois is a really interesting place

i guess danville and east st louis didnt make the cutoff for worst investments because no one in their right mind would even set up shop there

Cat still has factories in peoria, i think, but they're working less and less. All the supporting industries in the area are shutting down. Same with Rockford (now 4th?5th? largest city) - used to have tons of part manufacturers for the big 3, I even worked at one one summer making ball studs, it's long gone now. The next door giant auto plant, with thousands of workers, shut down last month for good. It's bad everywhere outside Chicagoland. My friend in Champaign had to pay the bank to leave after he owned for 5 years post-crash - no one wants to live there once they leave school. They're all mini Detroits without the white flight to the suburbs - people just straight up left.

I'd really hoped that covid would boost all those cities - they all have downtowns, density, green space, anything you really need besides jobs. But every remote worker went someplace more picturesque. The only cold city on the list is Rockford.

edit this poo poo is one of the few bright spots
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/29/realestate/tiktok-peoria-illinois.html

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 23:04 on Apr 7, 2023