Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

It doesn’t matter if Silksong is good or bapanada. It’s about the friendship we made along the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
It will never come out

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

RC Cola posted:

I'm playing HAAK and it's scratching the itch for now

Trip report. HAAK was really good.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

RC Cola posted:

It will never come out

It will tho :ohdear: they said it would.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Phil Spencer whispered into my ear one night that Silksong will be out by Christmas. Would he lie to me?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

While I wait for Silksong, I might as well hunt for a rare achievement.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The Zombie Guy posted:

Mods???

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

The Zombie Guy posted:

That's a ban

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Sigh.

Bapanada

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I fell down the deepest hole and cleared it before beating the mantis lords on my first run

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

i mean, today would be the funniest possible day to stealth release the game

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Hang out for a while, good sir

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

:colbert:

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Silksong will only be released once Team Cherry are finished personally hunting down everyone who has that cheevo

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I thought it was once everyone had it.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
zote died on my steel soul run

if I only got one life, I'm gonna need a brave knight's guidance in the afterlife

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I used to know someone irl who looked like zote

Yes, my monitor was turned on.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

This is why COVID happened...

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

If you don’t earn that achievement, you won’t be allowed to play Silksong. It will pop up a message ordering you to go back into Hallownest and let Zote
die as it’s the official canon choice per Team Cherry.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
My second time through I did it by accident. I had the volume at 0 to avoid bothering my wife and I didn't hear him or remember that he was in that room. I felt awful.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

GIT

GUD

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Team Cherry, if you don't release Silksong soon this thread will become entirely pro-Zote death, please you have to save us from ourselves.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I am making a list.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

I should play hollow knight on PC since I beat it on the switch and I look like a guy who hasn't even beaten hollow knight. What will all of my friends think about that???

Side note apparently Lone Fungus just came out of beta and is supposed to be a very Hollow Knight inspired metroidvania. I figured y'all might want to check it out.

Side side note. I got Grime and it's pretty fun so far

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Starting a new save rn. Let's make this fucker flyfood

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Guess I have to start a new game to balance it out

I never actually did any of the dlc

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Grime is pretty dang great.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

RC Cola posted:

I should play hollow knight on PC since I beat it on the switch and I look like a guy who hasn't even beaten hollow knight. What will all of my friends think about that???

Side note apparently Lone Fungus just came out of beta and is supposed to be a very Hollow Knight inspired metroidvania. I figured y'all might want to check it out.

Side side note. I got Grime and it's pretty fun so far

I picked up Lone Fungus and I don't think it's especially Hollow Knight inspired. It's also not nearly as polished. I am, however, enjoying myself maybe 5-6 bosses in.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

guppy posted:

I picked up Lone Fungus and I don't think it's especially Hollow Knight inspired. It's also not nearly as polished. I am, however, enjoying myself maybe 5-6 bosses in.

Note I haven't played it yet and am just going off what my friends who have played it said. Its next on my list after Grime though.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I'm just about finished with Moonscars, which definitely has strong hollow knight vibes, and I think I'd recommend it. It's pretty short, maybe 10-12 hours according to the internet, and while it's not as good as hollow knight, it's still pretty solid.

It does have the dark souls bullshit of easily missable quests that break if you do the necessary steps out of order, but there are probably guides for that if you really care.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
Ender Lilies is pretty solid if it hasn't been mentioned; lots of fun upgrades and an interesting story. Also you can summon a Fishman to punch people and that's always cool

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Ender Lillies' whole deal where you don't attack but summon spirits to do so instead is not mechanically any different to a regular 2d metroidvania, but it feels different in a really cool way.

Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight did a good job of filling the Hollow Knight shaped hole, though only briefly as it's not a very long game.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 11, 2023

Cardamommy Issues
Feb 16, 2005

I've waited around for more important things
I’m thinking about nails and bugs

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I'm thinking about needles

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Alkarl posted:

Ender Lilies is pretty solid if it hasn't been mentioned; lots of fun upgrades and an interesting story. Also you can summon a Fishman to punch people and that's always cool

Excerpt from the OP of an Ender Lilies LP that never was and probably never will be:

Fedule posted:

Ender Lilies: Quietus of the Knights (2021, Adglobe, Live Wire, Binary Haze Interactive) is a game that after five minutes of play you will call "a Hollow Knight clone", after a few hours of play "a great Hollow Knight clone", as you approach the end "probably the best Hollow Knight clone ever made[/i]", and as the final credits roll "a shining exemplar of its form which happens to draw from many of the same aesthetic wells that inspired Hollow Knight but absolutely puts forth a character and identity all its own and which on reflection deserved far, far better than to continually be introduced by means of invocation of another, overwhelmingly more popular game by literally everybody who plays it, myself included, even as in the same breath we profess to love it on its own considerable merits", or something to that effect.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I don't see how it's a Hollow Knight clone at all outside of having a moody gothic artstyle, the platforming and combat feel completely different (and much worse) and the level design is much more like a igavania than Hollow Knight's fairly technical platforming world.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
That was kind of the joke, as I wrote it then; it's really not a clone, it just gives off this incredibly powerful aesthetic impression at the start, and there was a bit of buzz comparing the games when it launched, and that sticks with you and it's only on reflection after playing for a fair bit you see it's really totally different. A lot of it is really the imagery of a very dark background and a very bright main character sitting on a bench.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
In my own experience - and maybe I need to play more games - but I feel like while there are many games that are like parts of hollow knight (either having inspired it or been inspired by it) there are no games that are really quite like Hollow Knight as an entire thing.
I can play other games that do things that Hollow Knight does and sometimes even better, but I can't think of any thing besides Hollow Knight itself that is that entire package and feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The Internet, sobbing: "You can't just call everything a Hollow Knight clone"

Me, pointing at Super Metroid: "Bapanada"