Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Oh good, the town can’t sustain a single donut shop. You should definitely spend $100k+ on equipment and massive renovations to a derelict shanty in the middle of nowhere so that you can take a crack at it. After all, you have no experience or plan outside of making donuts from expensive ingredients to serve a town with an average household income of $40k.

What could go wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
My favorite part is the vegan donuts.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
I haven’t spoken to anyone local who said they wouldn’t come through every day.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It turns out if you go up to randos, most of them won’t say “gently caress off I’m not going” or even “maybe sometimes unless it sucks”

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Rationale posted:

Sorry to break it to you, but no one you spoke to will come by weekly much less every day.

A $5 daily donut and coffee habit represents over 5% of the average households income in your area. Granted, it is the Midwest, so it’s not inconceivable that someone would spend 5% of their pay on donuts.

LeafHouse fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 8, 2023

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
Real life people are like “oh my god that’s awesome when will it open do you think?”

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

LeafHouse posted:

Sorry to break it to you, but no one you spoke to will come by weekly much less every day.

A $5 daily donut and coffee habit represents over 5% of the average households income in your area. Granted, it is the Midwest, so it’s not inconceivable that someone would spend 5% of their pay on donuts.

Is that 5% before or after their meth dealer's cut?

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

LeafHouse posted:

A $5 treat on the drive from one poo poo job to the next will be the glimmer of joy in a lot of lives.

Caffeine and sugar are basically only luxuries in name.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
If the places you’re all from were any better than Ohio they’d have turned out better people

E: your town isn’t good enough to deserve some nice treats

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av
People generally want to be supportive and kind, especially to other people's faces. They also aren't going to put much critical thought into the feasibility of another person's plans to open a business. Thus it's common to be enthusiastic about someone else's pipe dream at first; this excitement wanes with time.

Uncritical support for an idea is nice because it makes you feel good, but that's all it offers

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Rationale posted:

If the places you’re all from were any better than Ohio they’d have turned out better people

E: your town isn’t good enough to deserve some nice treats

I am from a very tiny rust belt town that has had so many small cafes and restaurants close in it over the years, not everyone here is your idea of a coastal elite snob boogeyman.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Rationale posted:

Real life people are like “oh my god that’s awesome when will it open do you think?”

Yeah dude, everyone says that and I’m sure they mean it earnestly but the reality is they’ll go a couple times when you open and maybe once a month after that. This happens with pretty much every small business. Who wouldn’t be excited and positive about locally sourced artisan donuts?

How does the location of the shop that closed compare to yours?

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
Yeah the conversation wasn’t about the viability of the enterprise it was about their enthusiasm for a drive-thru bakery cafe at that particular spot.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Rationale posted:

Yeah the conversation wasn’t about the viability of the enterprise it was about their enthusiasm for a drive-thru bakery cafe at that particular spot.

You are trying to spin enthusiasm as proof of the viability of the enterprise. Please go back to directly dissing posters who are trying to help you instead of moving goalposts; those posts are more entertaining

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Rationale posted:

Powerful Katrinka posted:

Thus it's common to be enthusiastic about someone else's pipe dream at first; this excitement wanes with time.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

LeafHouse posted:

Yeah dude, everyone says that and I’m sure they mean it earnestly but the reality is they’ll go a couple times when you open and maybe once a month after that. This happens with pretty much every small business. Who wouldn’t be excited and positive about locally sourced artisan donuts?

How does the location of the shop that closed compare to yours?

The idea is to become a part of their daily routine the way people do sbux or dunkin. 6000 cars go by each day and 125000 go down the highway a mile over

The newly vacant place didn’t have a drive through and shared parking in the old downtown so they really bottlenecked the money machine that way but also they were a couple brand new [redacted] like me so who knows what did them in.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Rationale posted:

who knows what did them in.

Such a shame there’s no way to possibly learn from this

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
Well apparently if I talk to them they’ll try to trick me into going ahead with my plans

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Rationale posted:

Well apparently if I talk to them they’ll try to trick me into going ahead with my plans

Seems like they might be the only ones that won’t. Besides everyone here, of course.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

I really hope Mrs. Rationale is the one in charge of money, planning, and everything else. How's her pregnancy coming along, btw? She's gotta be five or six months along by now, bless.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
We do it Viking style I’m on an allowance basically

When she found out she was pregnant she was like gently caress poo poo rear end this wasn’t the plan we’re gonna have two under two people are gonna think we’re silly omigosh omigosh

I was like yeah for sure this will be hard but it’s already hard and I love this life SO MUCH

The baby’s name means “to revel” They’ve got all their parts and no extras.

I’m 7x12.5 at night lately and it’s definitely putting some drag on her but we’ve been able to find some consistent help with the house and the kids so that she can have like an unaccompanied shower or clean for ten minutes in a row.

The due date is in July but the last one came five weeks early so time’s pretty short.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Rationale posted:

Well yeah, no poo poo. Having the option to grab a donut and a coffee is great for them. Everybody has a hankering for a donut now and then, and a place that they can go enjoy a quality donut once or twice a month is a fantastic deal for them, but that doesn't mean they will keep you afloat.

I'm still rooting for you though :toot:

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Idea: free donuts for tow truck drivers so there is always one on hand to drag people out of your mud pit drive thru.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I'm disappointed that my doctor has told me to cut down on sources of cholesterol, I shall never enjoy the sweet taste of their doughty nuts.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
My diabetic friend uses five or six coffee filters since apparently that’s a sneaky one

I’ve also heard that a raised glazed isn’t as hard on the pancreas as a bagel but I’m not wise in those ways.

I’d offer to look into healthier options but I have a feeling they’ll be terrible

But I feel you on the doctor side I gotta lose like a hundred pounds and doc was harping on me so I mentioned my legendary cardio and he showed me where I’m gonna blow a hole in my aorta if I keep confusing capability with health

Rationale fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Apr 8, 2023

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Rationale posted:

this is straight up a line from anthony bourdain's first book in the chapter where he cashes checks as head chef while slowly watching a gay couple in over their head open a restaurant with insufficient planning and lose everything

Baddog
May 12, 2001

LeafHouse posted:

... it is the Midwest, so it’s not inconceivable that someone would spend 5% of their pay on donuts.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Has the OP made money on donuts and coffee yet?

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
I’m getting my courage up to blow another check but pk won’t help

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
If you keep buying poo poo it won't all fit in your building

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Give your wife control of your SA account as well as the checkbook, she might actually have the sense to make something of the advice being offered. I also want to offer her my condolences

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I believe in your donut justice

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
What’s if op is a persona worn by his phd wife when she wants to do something kooky

also yeah the junk is beginning to pile up when I get laid off I’ll need to do a good thorough spring cleaning of my garage and shipping containers so I can fit all the poo poo out of the way while I’m working on the store.

Then I’ll spend probably a week just clearing the store out to be an actionable work site like there’s probably a good six or eight dumpsters of old junk and rotten lumber before we even start demoing for the build

Then once the prints come in I can start jackhammering concrete and screaming with glee

But if I can fit mixer fridge rounder proofer in the garage I can make a buncha buns in the mean time like I bet it’ll be easy to find day help for $15 and all the coffee and doughnuts you can handle

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I got donuts this morning. This shop has all the bases ready and then you just tell them what you want for filling and/or toppings and they quickly make it for you.

It’s a local place that recently opened and has been selling out of donuts pretty much every day by around 2pm.

They also do Philly cheesesteaks for lunch, which has apparently been a big hit!

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Ehud posted:

I got donuts this morning. This shop has all the bases ready and then you just tell them what you want for filling and/or toppings and they quickly make it for you.

It’s a local place that recently opened and has been selling out of donuts pretty much every day by around 2pm.

They also do Philly cheesesteaks for lunch, which has apparently been a big hit!

This kinda sounds like the duck donuts chain

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

CarForumPoster posted:

This kinda sounds like the duck donuts chain

yeah it was similar. These donuts tasted better than the ones I got at Duck tho.

The fillings were great. I got one glazed with lemon and one chocolate covered with Bavarian cream.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

OP why are you not making any money in the evening? Get some pizza ovens and sandwich prep tables. At 2pm your donut shop becomes a pizzeria and your profit doubles.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

sleepy gary posted:

OP why are you not making any money in the evening? Get some pizza ovens and sandwich prep tables. At 2pm your donut shop becomes a pizzeria and your profit doubles.

Also, if you do bagels in addition to donuts then you can sell pizza anytime

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

oh poo poo there's your concept, rationale:

the pizza donut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I like the vulva donuts