Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
when that reload speed on sliding blessing got buffed it was actually legit nice on my braced auto as vet, meant i could drop the reload speed perk for respawning nades

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

https://i.imgur.com/JPwGtxZ.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/2OwviRy.mp4
Someone please add tony hawk pro skater grind pointage and trick score to this video tia

https://i.imgur.com/swtgpaj.mp4
The last footage I have of the old flamer RIP

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Jerkface posted:

Speaking of blessings I want to start spending crafting material on building out by Vet melee weapons, what are the good blessings for the Shovel? I ended up eating most of my vet's melee weapons once the crafting patch dropped so I'm light on good rolls on stuff other than PS.
Unfortunately the game seems to refuse to give me anything other than the +stagger blessings for the shovel and while I don't know how much it's actually helping (shovel already has very good stagger by default) it is pretty fun to be able to CC everything. I've essentially been treating the shovel as the vet's equivalent to a Vermintide shield: high stamina, high stagger, gently caress-all damage. Assuming the gameslantern page for the shovel is correct, maybe Skullcrusher (Target receives 1-4 Stacks of 5% Damage on Stagger. Lasts 5 seconds.) or Take a Swing (+30-60% Weak Spot Damage for 3 seconds on Pushing Enemies.) would be good for it?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Ran into a damnation high intensity match and we had 2 vets and 2 zealots. At least 1 bolter and a gun that had like sparks shooting out of it. Is that what the slug shotgun looks like? It wasnt lighting them on fire but between those guns higher hp specials and elites were getting mown down. No one even went down. drat fine team.

My kantrael mostly spent its time shooting shooters and gunners which is pretty comfy if not glamorous.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Insert name here posted:

Unfortunately the game seems to refuse to give me anything other than the +stagger blessings for the shovel and while I don't know how much it's actually helping (shovel already has very good stagger by default) it is pretty fun to be able to CC everything. I've essentially been treating the shovel as the vet's equivalent to a Vermintide shield: high stamina, high stagger, gently caress-all damage. Assuming the gameslantern page for the shovel is correct, maybe Skullcrusher (Target receives 1-4 Stacks of 5% Damage on Stagger. Lasts 5 seconds.) or Take a Swing (+30-60% Weak Spot Damage for 3 seconds on Pushing Enemies.) would be good for it?

Yea I am similiarly inundated with +Impact blessings on my shovel, but I got this cooking right now:

Whats the perk play on shovel? Flak I guess? I heard thunderstrike was good from reddit but I am hoping to get something better. I could replace it with Trauma or Hammerblow since those are the only other ones I have lol

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
How do people even deal with daemonhosts. I mean beyond the obvious "some one clearly pinged it and the team is avoiding it when the pub veteran shoots it succeeding in pissing it off and nothing else"

I assumed they fulfilled a sort of "witch" role of dont gently caress with this but if you do better burn it down faast but i have never seen anyone actually down one. It just fucks the party up and rolls out.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

ZeusCannon posted:

How do people even deal with daemonhosts. I mean beyond the obvious "some one clearly pinged it and the team is avoiding it when the pub veteran shoots it succeeding in pissing it off and nothing else"

I assumed they fulfilled a sort of "witch" role of dont gently caress with this but if you do better burn it down faast but i have never seen anyone actually down one. It just fucks the party up and rolls out.

What level difficulty?

I'm scripture farming right now and on 2s with my maxed ogryn just beat em to death for fun :v:

On 4+ we typically just try to avoid them, if it turns south well burn it down as best you can!

On my Ogryn I run bleed on heavy hit and DR from bleed stacks, probably the technically best method is Ogryn with shield aggros then plants and then the team should be able to kill the DH without any real issue*

*never done this myself

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

ZeusCannon posted:

Aside from shield ogryn, a skilled player with a knife can dodge or block all the attacks. Psyker used to just be able to block everything with the peril blocking feat so maybe they can do that again with the recent passive quell buff? A zealot with a properly built thunder hammer can just straight up kill a demon host in 2-3 hits too.

Having any one of those is kinda unlikely though so I just avoid them.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

ZeusCannon posted:

Smack it with a hammer two or three times.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

A zealot with a thrust thunderhammer and 2 ult charges can reliably 1-2 shot a DH. For actually having to "play it out" - you hope that whoever got targeted first has a high mobility weapon. You basically need to hold block, then dodge the big swipes, and block + dodge the flurry (the flurry has crazy tracking so you can't just dodge back and hope they all miss). Someone actually made a reddit post about how to melee up against the DH. my biggest problem when playing vs DH is I usually run out of room and get hosed by that.

The big secret tech is that you get 5 seconds of uninterrupted mag dump time whenever anyone dies so your team needs to understand that they should be going HAM when the DH is draining. I've seen people like running around not really doing anything during that animation and its a lot of wasted time. If you're a vet with bolter or autogun you basically get 2 free mags worth of headshots.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Jerkface posted:

Yea I am similiarly inundated with +Impact blessings on my shovel, but I got this cooking right now:

Whats the perk play on shovel? Flak I guess? I heard thunderstrike was good from reddit but I am hoping to get something better. I could replace it with Trauma or Hammerblow since those are the only other ones I have lol
How well does Uncanny Strike work? The shovel sucks against anything carapace so I'm curious to see if the +rending actually makes an appreciable difference.

And yeah for perks I think I'd go with +flak damage. Not sure what I'd want for the second one optimally but maybe +infested damage for better clearing of hordes? My theory right now is that it's probably best to spec into killing trash mobs since you can't make the special killing better than mediocre anyway and you can stunlock most of them for safe kills once their isolated.

Jerkface posted:

A zealot with a thrust thunderhammer and 2 ult charges can reliably 1-2 shot a DH. For actually having to "play it out" - you hope that whoever got targeted first has a high mobility weapon. You basically need to hold block, then dodge the big swipes, and block + dodge the flurry (the flurry has crazy tracking so you can't just dodge back and hope they all miss). Someone actually made a reddit post about how to melee up against the DH. my biggest problem when playing vs DH is I usually run out of room and get hosed by that.

The big secret tech is that you get 5 seconds of uninterrupted mag dump time whenever anyone dies so your team needs to understand that they should be going HAM when the DH is draining. I've seen people like running around not really doing anything during that animation and its a lot of wasted time. If you're a vet with bolter or autogun you basically get 2 free mags worth of headshots.
Reposting these clips:
https://i.imgur.com/lLtWhaF.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/9tpIaju.mp4
Both were only taken on difficulty 3 but same theory applies regardless on which one you play on.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Weekly mod roundup:

Book Finder. This one gives you a chat notification if there's a grim/scrip nearby and lets you know when someone picks it up too. I think it uses the same range as the ambient book sound, 15m.

Penance Details. This one gives more details to penances so you can see which missions or whatever you're missing. Finally delete those spreadsheets!

Darkcache. Keep the Mourningstar in your cache for faster loading. It's not huge but it's noticeable. Probably bad if you have low amounts of RAM.

Which Book. Adds icons to the mission select screen so you know if it's grims or scrips. I haven't tried the new update but it looks like you can even change the color of the icons too.

SortBrunt. Does what it says, sorts Brunt's armory by weapon type instead of whatever organization it uses now.

Minimap. Gives a 'minimap' that's more like an enemy radar, like Halo. I don't use it myself but maybe some people would like it.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Jesus we did haz 5 low intensity with the dogs and dear god. We had 3 vets and a pysker and it legit felt like haz 3 because we were dominating everything. I was running bolter, one vet had a krieg gun, and the other had a MK12. We just moved forward rarely swapping to melee while the pysker had a surge staff that was mostly useless haha.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I feel like they need to declassify the dogs as specials because the difficulty of hunting grounds is entirely dependent on whether your team has a veteran to turn every hound event into a full ammo refill.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

How's the new Thunder Hammer? I've not had a chance to play since the new weapons were added.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone else just randomly getting stuck on things and not being able to move since the last patch?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Thats been happening for a while you can slide into places and get stuck. If thats what youre talking about you can let an enemy melee you and it will hit you out.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jerkface posted:

Thats been happening for a while you can slide into places and get stuck. If thats what youre talking about you can let an enemy melee you and it will hit you out.

Sometimes I'll dodge and just get stuck on nothing. It's annyoing.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Stanley Pain posted:

Sometimes I'll dodge and just get stuck on nothing. It's annyoing.

Is it happening after you've dodged a bunch in a row? Cause I've totally ankle bumped stuff or backed myself in an awkward corner or had geometry screw me, but usually really lame dodges are just hitting my dodge limit.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Soooo whats the plasma gun meta? I rarely see anyone using it, is it just un-worthy aside a gimmick wallhack railgun?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Even with the latest change it kinda sucks imo , anything you'd really use it for a bolter does better and everything else a vet wants to do is better with shredder, autogun, or las

they need to remove ammo or make venting heat not cost health

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
In my head the plasma gun should be basically like the void strike staff, but heat instead of peril

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
YON BARREL

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Valtonen posted:

Soooo whats the plasma gun meta? I rarely see anyone using it, is it just un-worthy aside a gimmick wallhack railgun?

It just feels bad to use. It doesn't seem to hit where you want it to go, it juggles heat and ammo, it has reload and draw speed problems. There are weapons that fill the same role without any of those downsides.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I wonder if the plasma gun would feel better to use if it were hitscan. Probably not. The heat mechanic is neat and obviously trying to capture the flavor of the gun but it just adds another gating mechanic to the weapon alongside ammo count and reload speed that really isn’t necessary. If you’re going to make the plasma gun that cumbersome to use it would have to deal a LOT more damage than it does, and preferably in an aoe.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Return to the fantasy warhammer: review.

So I went back to try the new map to VT2. For the record, I only started VT2 when it came free in steam late 2022; I only had 90 hours in and got hooked enough to buy darktide and never looked back.

Now, after 182 hours in DT I went to try the last free map that just came out - whilst also comfortably intoxicated.

First feelings:

A) this game is Hero Quest: the video game.
B) Ubersreik 5 rock
C) the gameplay is still very solid.
D) the community is rather nice

And

E) Darktide movement, melee, and gunplay are SO much more fluent that it feels a different world. VT2 is not bad or unresponsive in any measure, But DT is such a massive step ahead its not even funny. Having bombs at (5) fits the WH fantasy well enough to highlight their one-use role but it still feels… clunky?

Both tides are very good

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

The plasma gun is pretty good in certain roles.

It can kill specials through walls and armored ogryns and reapers safely at range and speeds that the bolter can't. It preps fast for fast response when you pull it out. It can kill shooters in cover no problem and can blast through hordes to get at specials embedded in hordes.

The fire delay feels bad though, and ammo issues AND heat make it frustrating. With a full bar of heat you can kill 2, maybe 3 crushers, at close range before needing to reload and the bolter cant do that usually.

It just feels bad. Not a terrible gun tho.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Artificer posted:

The plasma gun is pretty good in certain roles.

It can kill specials through walls and armored ogryns and reapers safely at range and speeds that the bolter can't. It preps fast for fast response when you pull it out. It can kill shooters in cover no problem and can blast through hordes to get at specials embedded in hordes.

The fire delay feels bad though, and ammo issues AND heat make it frustrating. With a full bar of heat you can kill 2, maybe 3 crushers, at close range before needing to reload and the bolter cant do that usually.

It just feels bad. Not a terrible gun tho.

the best bolters have shattering impact 4 and pinning fire 4 and they can definitely do that lol

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Has anyone figured out if the plasma gun can shoot through shields, for the assassination missions?

It's been a few months since I gave Darktide a shot - before crafting was really sorted in any useful way - but I might circle back to test that.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

the best bolters have shattering impact 4 and pinning fire 4 and they can definitely do that lol

Cool well I don't have a god roll bolter and plasma to compare the two so

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Artificer posted:

Cool well I don't have a god roll bolter and plasma to compare the two so
you haven't won the entire game by owning the absolute BiS gear yet? for shame.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I don't have either or a good roll on my bolter and it still rips every ogryns to pieces better than the plasma can.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Did a 4 vet haz4 with grims and it felt like a different game haha, everything was getting chunked at range. There's def some silliness with class balance, we had some bulwarks that might have been a threat if i wasn't staggering them with my bolter before they ever got close. The only time we used melee was when we were low on ammo.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I wonder if the plasma gun would feel better to use if it were hitscan. Probably not. The heat mechanic is neat and obviously trying to capture the flavor of the gun but it just adds another gating mechanic to the weapon alongside ammo count and reload speed that really isn’t necessary. If you’re going to make the plasma gun that cumbersome to use it would have to deal a LOT more damage than it does, and preferably in an aoe.

The plasma gun already is hitscan, the projectile is just an animation

It's a hipfire railgun that pierces real good and does a million damage on weak spot hit and so it excels in that niche

it's just not very independent on a random game because you have to trust that the others will get the shooters because you can only shoot like six before overheat and nobody ever gets the shooters

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!
Honestly I think the Helbore buffs have taken the plasma gun's thunder most of all, because I've been seeing a lot of veterans using those lately and doing quite well with them too. Similar weapon and niche but just a lot less cumbersome to use and with an ammo efficiency only second to the Kantrael.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I've been playing Darktide over the last few nights for the first time in a while and the moment to moment gameplay still sure is great but man, it's such a bummer not really seeing any new content. I can tell they added more missions to the board but I'm still seeing the same issue where there's only ever one or two missions running the difficulty I want with a modifier I want and that means for some sessions we end up playing the same map two or three times. It's just something that becomes even more apparent after spending more time with DRG where every job feels different thanks to the incredible procgen caves. I don't think this would be as big of an issue if we could pick which missions to run like we could in Vermintide but it just feels like the mission board never gives us one we haven't played recently.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Venting but also PSA:

There is such a thing as playing too cautiously.

Just played a match with 3 psykers (including me) and a vet, normally those are fine, but these guys kept retreating from every spawn and wave. I have a decent hoardclear sword, so I can just pull that out and engage, but I'd turn around and they'd all have found some weird ledge or hidey hole and left me to my own devices. It's like, listen, I'm not charging into every engagement hear but if you don't make some ground you'll just stand still the whole level.

Rant over.

EDIT: Not just like, 'taking cover' or 'finding a good wall to fight against' either like whole rear end retreat.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Run awaaaaay!

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 9, 2023

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Mendrian posted:

Venting but also PSA:

There is such a thing as playing too cautiously.

Just played a match with 3 psykers (including me) and a vet, normally those are fine, but these guys kept retreating from every spawn and wave. I have a decent hoardclear sword, so I can just pull that out and engage, but I'd turn around and they'd all have found some weird ledge or hidey hole and left me to my own devices. It's like, listen, I'm not charging into every engagement hear but if you don't make some ground you'll just stand still the whole level.

Rant over.

EDIT: Not just like, 'taking cover' or 'finding a good wall to fight against' either like whole rear end retreat.

yep, the game requires to be played aggressive. Retreating is like the dumbest thing. I found the AI director is less punishing as when doing that in VT2 but it will still just prolong the game opening more time for hordes and specials.

also breaks every flow and just sucks from enjoyment pov imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Counterpoint: I've also had damnation games where we hear the boss/horde music start up and the rando's I've had to revive 4 times already decide it's also a good time to push forward into the 4 crushers, 2 bulwarks, 6 ragers and a shotgun patrol who were just minding their own business and go down immediately before the real threat even shows up.