Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

Kheldarn posted:

I'm pretty sure that it's mandatory that anyone who writes a book for a video game gets information wrong.

See, this is the misunderstood genius of the FFIX strategy guide - can't get any of the information in the book wrong of you just don't put it in there in the first place! :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Heran Bago posted:

I want to start making 590 DoH/DoL gear, so I want Golden Cocoons for example.

My gatherers are at level 90, unbuffed gathering 3065 and perception 2971. Gatherer iLvl 575. I have used the Tome of Botanical Folklore – IIsabard and the Northen Empty.

Teamcraft and gatherbuddy agree on when the level 90 one-star node should appear. It doesn't show up. I think I have seen legendary nodes pop in another zone.

What am I overlooking here?

You need perception 2990. Eat something.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

YggiDee posted:

You need perception 2990. Eat something.

Thank you!! How was I supposed to know that? Where can I look up such requirements?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm going to be honest I just googled it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Heran Bago posted:

Thank you!! How was I supposed to know that? Where can I look up such requirements?

I believe the requirements are in the gathering log?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Yeah for mining and botany stuff, it should just say what the requirements are at the bottom of the log window if there are any.

It's fishing that tells you to get hosed if you want specific information presented in-game.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

The item should also still be visible but greyed out on the node, with the Perception requirements listed.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

You also need to have Truth of Forests on.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I just discovered that you can upgrade the 620 tome gear to 630 using hunt currency

I discovered this because I bought the first twine I saw hoping to make my old radiant healer's chest dyeable and instead got an actual ilvl upgrade

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

blatman posted:

I just discovered that you can upgrade the 620 tome gear to 630 using hunt currency

I discovered this because I bought the first twine I saw hoping to make my old radiant healer's chest dyeable and instead got an actual ilvl upgrade

You can also get those upgrades with the coins from running the alliance raids

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Mainwaring posted:

You can also get those upgrades with the coins from running the alliance raids

is that still weekly gated or can I just spam run them? If I can spam it that might be faster than hopping on every hunt train I see

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Is there anything else worth spending Poetics on aside from soil? Burnt out on relics for right now.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

blatman posted:

is that still weekly gated or can I just spam run them? If I can spam it that might be faster than hopping on every hunt train I see

Euph is, Aglaia is not, so if you want to augment Radiant stuff for glam purposes, that might work

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Regalingualius posted:

Is there anything else worth spending Poetics on aside from soil? Burnt out on relics for right now.

You can also convert them into Cryptlurker’s gear to then convert into Seals to then convert into whatever you want to sell from there (Oilcloths to vendors, Coke to the MB, minions for yourself or the MB, etc). Seals, soil, and HW relics are about it if you don’t need leveling gear or old crafting stuff.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
my final poetics purchase was peace of mind when I just let it hit 2000/2000 forever

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Have you considered: incremental increases to ALC Desynth progress by turning all your poetics into SMN/SCH books to mulch??

I'm working on an HW relic now and I actually think it might be more worthwhile than my usual poetics sink habits

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Antivehicular posted:

Have you considered: incremental increases to ALC Desynth progress by turning all your poetics into SMN/SCH books to mulch??

I'm working on an HW relic now and I actually think it might be more worthwhile than my usual poetics sink habits

Yeah, I just dump poetics into HW relic materials. I've got enough Umbrite, Singing Clusters, etc for 4ish relics saved up, limiting factor is now whenever I feel like doing the trials and light farm.

Unsure what to do with them when I've got a full HW relic set. I guess I can look forward to full Manderville Weapons; there'll at least be more of those.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Doomykins posted:

my final poetics purchase was peace of mind when I just let it hit 2000/2000 forever

Usually, I feel like I want to buy the old gear and turn them in at the GC for seals which I can buy more ventures. Right now I have over 1,000 but you never know.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hm yeah after the next expansion releases will the Manderville weapon stages revert to requiring poetics and become a new sink?

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
That's what's happened with everything else that used to cost level-cap tomestones, so they'll make a good source of easy shinies once you buy all the i660 gear you need for next expansion.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

SuperKlaus posted:

Hm yeah after the next expansion releases will the Manderville weapon stages revert to requiring poetics and become a new sink?

Presumably yes. I finally finished my last HW Relic, so I need a new poetic dump. The more steps that can be pre-purchased the better.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
When does the tonberry glam event end?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Consummate Professional posted:

When does the tonberry glam event end?

monday morning

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Rap Game Goku posted:

Presumably yes. I finally finished my last HW Relic, so I need a new poetic dump. The more steps that can be pre-purchased the better.

Were you keeping track of your poetics spending? Kinda curious how many you would need to do this.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

Were you keeping track of your poetics spending? Kinda curious how many you would need to do this.

I was not, but not counting for umbrite, and only buying mats with poetics, you'd spend a minimum of 11,750 per anima. There are other/cheaper ways of getting some of those mats if you'd rather trade for a different time sink.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Rap Game Goku posted:

Only other ones you can really pre-prep are the ARR ones (ShB has a small dump at the start, but the rest is all stuff that drops from specific activities, and Eureka's it's own thing)... and only on your second and beyond.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Regalingualius posted:

Only other ones you can really pre-prep are the ARR ones (ShB has a small dump at the start, but the rest is all stuff that drops from specific activities, and Eureka's it's own thing)... and only on your second and beyond.

The SHB relic, you can grind for more than one at a time, although I've never been motivated enough to figure out how to optimally do so. It involves keeping them rotated through the various stages as you can progress on different weapons at different stages by doing the same activities.

Parts of ARR are only gated by gil, which makes those steps the easiest to prepare for really.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
It took me until handing it in to realize that it's slightly odd using Hollandaise Sauce on amaro feed. Less odd when you know that some amaro are able to talk, but more odd when you realize that Holland doesn't exist in this universe. Of course, neither did the Earl of Sandwich and you still deliver sandwiches to people.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Dareon posted:

It took me until handing it in to realize that it's slightly odd using Hollandaise Sauce on amaro feed. Less odd when you know that some amaro are able to talk, but more odd when you realize that Holland doesn't exist in this universe. Of course, neither did the Earl of Sandwich and you still deliver sandwiches to people.

Just learned something new today.

Anyway when it comes to stuff like that happening in fantasy worlds I just assume it's coincidence. Like the guy who made Hollandaise Sauce named it after himself or something like that.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I go the Lord of the Rings method and assume that the entire setting is done in fictional Eorzean language that has been translated for our convenience.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
They do have their own text, even if it's just an alphabet cypher iirc.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Sometimes I wonder how Bismarck got his name

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I think it all runs on the same logic we saw in the etymology of 'gun'. That there are indeed things with those names in the world.

There was a Holland, somewhere. It's not important, but there was!

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Could have been 30 feet 10 yalms above sea level when the Sixth Calamity happened.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Cleretic posted:

I think it all runs on the same logic we saw in the etymology of 'gun'. That there are indeed things with those names in the world.

There was a Holland, somewhere. It's not important, but there was!

All that matters is their sauce is delicious.

It still trips me up that gunblades came before guns.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Also holy poo poo how long does CoD's trailing laser attack go on for? I got targeted, ran for a bit, stopped on one of those soak circles cause I thought it was over, but it kept going and I collected 5 vuln stacks before it killed me.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

bobtheconqueror posted:

They do have their own text, even if it's just an alphabet cypher iirc.

I don't think it's a cipher so much as stylised to the point of being almost unreadable (although I guess at a certain level of abstraction the difference is academic)

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

hopeandjoy posted:

You can also convert them into Cryptlurker’s gear to then convert into Seals to then convert into whatever you want to sell from there (Oilcloths to vendors, Coke to the MB, minions for yourself or the MB, etc). Seals, soil, and HW relics are about it if you don’t need leveling gear or old crafting stuff.

Why oilcloths? I checked the pricing and it sucks. For like 20k seals you can get 99 glams and undercut on the market place and get a sale for around 30k every 5 seconds where as you need 40k seals for oilcloths which results in even less gil

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Vikar Jerome posted:

Why oilcloths? I checked the pricing and it sucks. For like 20k seals you can get 99 glams and undercut on the market place and get a sale for around 30k every 5 seconds where as you need 40k seals for oilcloths which results in even less gil

They do mention the oilcloths are specifically for vendoring. Free Trial players can't get retainers so vendoring is how they can get money, though it's not much of a concern since their drastically lowered Gil cap is trivially easy to reach.

Additionally, some people don't want to deal with MB shenanigans and/or wildly fluctuating prices. Even something as simple as flipping glamour prisms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Mainwaring posted:

I don't think it's a cipher so much as stylised to the point of being almost unreadable (although I guess at a certain level of abstraction the difference is academic)

Pretty much

The style doesn't really match any actual script that I am aware of, although they seem to have based some of the forms on historic minuscules. It's not too hard to read once you get used to the odder glyphs (k-h, g, c-d, etc).

Norvrandt has its own script which is considerably worse. Fortunately it doesn't really appear much.