Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Which of the swappable special powers do people like for Everspace 2? I purchased the corrosion one but it never seems to charge up enough so I haven't bothered upgrading it. I've been kinda stingy with upgrading those in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

what's the thing that makes combat easy in yakuza0? am i supposed to be doing stuff in the city during the intro chapters? and leveling or something? i'm used to being spoonfed, so imagine my surprise when i was in my third battle without any potions or skills but two. i know i'm missing something basic cause i'm getting killed on easy while kiryu fights kuzes mooks

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Always carry a bunch of energy drinks and never be afraid to buy back-alley shotguns.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Mescal posted:

what's the thing that makes combat easy in yakuza0? am i supposed to be doing stuff in the city during the intro chapters? and leveling or something? i'm used to being spoonfed, so imagine my surprise when i was in my third battle without any potions or skills but two. i know i'm missing something basic cause i'm getting killed on easy while kiryu fights kuzes mooks

It's always a good idea in any Yakuza game to buy a bunch of recovery items asap. If the mooks are giving you a hard time on easy, though, you'll never survive the bosses.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Mescal posted:

Did you happen to pick up and equip an accessory described as "charismatic"?

The game is intentionally unclear about this, but equipping that makes enemies insanely aggressive. Like basic enemies will mop the floor with you and barely give you a chance to get attacks in. It's supposed to be a challenge mode thing, in exchange for having good stats.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the thing about y0 is that due to inflation, you can easily buy all of the high end recovery items you could ever need. it's basically free.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's insane how much better Everspace 2 is than 1 so far

Just wish I had my drone frigate again already lol

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
It bugs me, I really enjoyed EVERSPACE 1 due to it's interesting take on roguelites and being a linux-native title, and a few years ago I played the demo for the sequel and it worked fine in proton (even if I didn't enjoy the direction it was taken in). But now the demo is a slideshow, which is a crying shame as I'm sure everyone is dying for my lovely opinions on the sequel.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I haven't been able to play Everspace 2 post-launch because I just frankly don't want to go through the forced tutorial again and there's no option to skip it :effort: Nothing turns me off of a game faster than "You can use W A S D to move! Demonstrate all four now before moving on to the next step!", especially when there are lines of dialog you have to listen to between each step.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 8, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

deep dish peat moss posted:

I haven't been able to play Everspace 2 post-launch because I just frankly don't want to go through the forced tutorial again and there's no option to skip it :effort:

Have you just started doing a bit

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

No, but I did recently stop taking ADHD medication because there's been a 9-month-long national shortage that was leading to going through withdrawal every month, so these kinds of tutorials are even more unbearable than they were before :2bong:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

deep dish peat moss posted:

I haven't been able to play Everspace 2 post-launch because I just frankly don't want to go through the forced tutorial again and there's no option to skip it :effort: Nothing turns me off of a game faster than "You can use W A S D to move! Demonstrate all four now before moving on to the next step!", especially when there are lines of dialog you have to listen to between each step.

You can skip the tutorial, I saw the option in the pause menu

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I must have missed it, I'll check it out again later :hellyeah:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

There is definitely a tutorial skip because I used it to skip the tutorial

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
There needs to be an unskippable tutorial that describes how to skip the main tutorial.

Bought this two years ago and forgot about it, installing now!

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mozi posted:

There needs to be an unskippable tutorial that describes how to skip the main tutorial.

Bought this two years ago and forgot about it, installing now!

I already made this joke but just give every game Kingdom Hearts 1 levels of tutorial hell.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Orv posted:

I already made this joke but just give every game Kingdom Hearts 1 levels of tutorial hell.

time to level up to 99 by destroying Wakka ten million times

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020

goferchan posted:

Anyone familiar with Lone Fungus? Apparently it's been in EA for a while but I never heard of it, just hit 1.0. Metroidvania getting pretty rave reviews, lots of Hollow Knight comparisons.

I got it today and have played it for less than an hour, beating the first two bosses. It's definitely a Hollow Knight-like. Granted I'm not very far yet, but it does seem like it's going to be better than Haiku, The Robot. Main criticism is that the writing is not good, but not unexpectedly bad. Gameplay is good, and it has some great quality of life features. I like that there's a dedicated down-slash button.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Does anyone else know how to get GZ DOOM to load other WAD files?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

BigRed0427 posted:

drag and drop them on it

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

BigRed0427 posted:

i like a secondary program called DoomRunner for that

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

BigRed0427 posted:

Drag and drop 'em onto GZDoom.exe, or use a frontend. I personally use ZDL 3-1.1.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Mescal posted:

I think the Yakuza games also lean into the formula where the hardest fights are the earliest ones because you're not as good at the game, and have no power ups, but later you have a million and a half special moves and everything just kinda melts.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Mescal posted:

Hit and run on bosses, get a few hits and dodge away.

For bosses like Mr Shakedown, I found it much much easier to NOT lock onto the boss and try and dodge away, just run free and after they swing (or for mr shakedown, charge) let them, and then punch them in the back and run away again

patience is key but it works.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

PlushCow posted:

Hit and run on bosses, get a few hits and dodge away.

For bosses like Mr Shakedown, I found it much much easier to NOT lock onto the boss and try and dodge away, just run free and after they swing (or for mr shakedown, charge) let them, and then punch them in the back and run away again

patience is key but it works.

it's just the early one with kuze where i'm swamped and crowded. it feels like superarmor turns on way late for power moves, and also to be honest i might just have some contoller lag or something going on. regardless i was getting stunned. i beat elden ring, i swear!

but for now i tried RDR2 and ... drat. i seem to have deleted my save file. why no cloud save? would it have deleted the cloud save when syncing?

Mescal fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 8, 2023

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Which of the swappable special powers do people like for Everspace 2? I purchased the corrosion one but it never seems to charge up enough so I haven't bothered upgrading it. I've been kinda stingy with upgrading those in general.

4-5 hours in and I still like the ultra-thrust for a few seconds to get out of a bad situation and reset.myself.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

The offense ones all suck imo. The armor restore is great as is the emergency thrusters.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

This game needs steam workshop support

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Gave Stranger of Paradise a second chance, now that it's on Steam and they seem to have mildly improved the performance so now it's actually playable on my machine at 1080p/60.

I'm really enjoying it so far. A lot of interesting mechanics to fiddle around with, similar to Nioh, and I'm a big fan of using wrestling moves to brutally murder a bunch of stupid Final Fantasy monsters.
All the cutscenes being shitposts with a budget adds a lot to the enjoyment as well.

Oh, and also the game has loving wall splat combos. That's a great mechanic that you see way too rarely in these kinds of games.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
:siren: PSA: Battlestar Galactica Deadlock is currently free to keep when you get it before 9 Apr @ 10:00am

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Stranger of Paradise has loads of really fun move sets. Whether it's the charge attack-heavy axe, the simplified version of the Nioh 2 splitstaff or getting Akira's Tetsuzanko shoulder barge from VF when using fists the game does a great job of encouraging you to go around all the jobs and have fun with them.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fart of Presto posted:

:siren: PSA: Battlestar Galactica Deadlock is currently free to keep when you get it before 9 Apr @ 10:00am

Oh nice. How important is any of the season pass stuff?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

uiruki posted:

Stranger of Paradise has loads of really fun move sets. Whether it's the charge attack-heavy axe, the simplified version of the Nioh 2 splitstaff or getting Akira's Tetsuzanko shoulder barge from VF when using fists the game does a great job of encouraging you to go around all the jobs and have fun with them.

I've always been a big fan of the "learn how to play as several different classes and get rewarded with being able to mix them into something stronger" mechanic, but the fact that Stranger of Paradise let's you loving switch between classes in the middle of a combo is even more badass.

When I saw FFXIV Shadowbringers trailer, my first though was "I wish you could actually do that" and Stranger of Paradise actually lets you.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I finished up Kona earlier this week. It’s a game that reminds me very much of Firewatch, albeit not quite up to that level of polish. You’re a hard boiled detective going to investigate a murder in a small Quebec village in the 60s. 4 or 5 hours to beat. Unlike Firewatch there is some extremely light combat, but otherwise it’s pretty basic exploration and environmental puzzles as you suss out the story.

The thing that sets Kona apart is the voice acting and the setting. I don’t know how many other games have real good Quebecois characters, but they got Guy Nadon to narrate the main character and the writing is extremely rural Quebec. It’s very good.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
God drat everspace 2 rules hard so far. Gauss cannon supremacy so far, snipe everyone out of the sky before they can even engage

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
My only issue with Everspace 2 is that the ships are too expensive to try out new ship types. I only stick with gunships because I know how they work the best.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FrickenMoron posted:

My only issue with Everspace 2 is that the ships are too expensive to try out new ship types. I only stick with gunships because I know how they work the best.

The drone carriers are rad so far, I got one that lets you have six combat drones at once and you get extra shields for each one you don't have, so you get stronger as they eat poo poo in a prolonged fight

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Digging Everspace 2 so far; it didn't really occur to me until now that this is not meant to be a roguelike unlike the first one.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

explosivo posted:

Digging Everspace 2 so far; it didn't really occur to me until now that this is not meant to be a roguelike unlike the first one.

Yeah, it works a lot better in this format too. The first one wanted you to beat it like eight times for the "real ending" or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah, it works a lot better in this format too. The first one wanted you to beat it like eight times for the "real ending" or whatever

I beat it exactly once and then tooled around with a couple different builds before uninstalling.