Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
Usually 'clean ups' like this are actually overtime for the garbage workers or parks workers who do them, since it's extra duties that come with some risk, it would be a volunteer sorta thing.

So it's typically the fuckin chud workers who would sign up for this, get a little extra cashe for hurting people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.

Bleck posted:

They're still fighting for it now because they still haven't done the only real solution, which involves trudging up the landlords to either a guillotine or a gallows.

Umm have you considered voting????

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
This is it, folks. This is the one that matters. We all have to go out and vote for [party that will gut healthcare and give all of your money to landlords and cops], so that neither [party that will gut healthcare and give all of your money to landlords and cops] nor [party that will gut healthcare and give all of your money to landlords and cops] get back into power. This one's for all the marbles and if you don't believe that the system will work then you're a stupid tankie doomer and actually the biggest problem of all.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
When will the masses learn that benevolent dictators is the way to go. Oh well until then I can just call voters rubes and act smug while doing it.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I would be an evil dictator tbh. Seems way more fun than benevolence

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

DaysBefore posted:

I would be an evil dictator tbh. Seems way more fun than benevolence

It seems like it, but as some one who has played every version of Tropico I can tell you that oppression turns out to be a lot more work than just providing a good quality of life.

StoicRomance
Jan 3, 2013

Capital Letdown posted:

Usually 'clean ups' like this are actually overtime for the garbage workers or parks workers who do them, since it's extra duties that come with some risk, it would be a volunteer sorta thing.

So it's typically the fuckin chud workers who would sign up for this, get a little extra cashe for hurting people.

I have a few friends working in union admin and this is a symptom of one of the main failings of sclerotic union locals. A lot of union workers (like I’m assuming those garbage truck drivers are) are sympathetic to the cops and to reaction. They have the benefits and safety of a union job but (truthfully or as performance) rail against that same union. They have no class consciousness and the union does nothing to educate or build that solidarity because, after a century of ideological conditioning, a lot of the membership just out and out reject it.

So every time I see something like this I’m like “drat, wish our trade unions would do like the French and start turning off the power to police stations/march with protestors/not crunch up tents” but I have to remind myself that if the union wanted to a good chunk of their membership would respond “lol no destroying camps is based”.

It’s not great! People in my own family with five weeks of vacation and double the average private sector wage grumble into their beers that their union is communiss and they’d prefer to keep their dues.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Where's the fiery "gently caress the bosses" spirit that should exist in good union persons? Cops are an extension of those bosses.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I'm "one of the bosses/scum" and I'm always arguing with the union guys from the left. It's really disheartening.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Charles Bukowski posted:

Where's the fiery "gently caress the bosses" spirit that should exist in good union persons? Cops are an extension of those bosses.

In my union experience "gently caress the boss" is not mutually exclusive with "gently caress those lazy poors" or "gently caress you".

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Oh god, even the English are making fun of us, and they consider beans on potato a meal.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bbc-race-across-the-world-1.6804863

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Well that 45.5 hour power cut sure was fun. Has anyone considered not stringing them through trees?

NZ buried all their lines and they don't even get freezing rain 3-4 times a year!

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

I'm Very Glad I'm Going To Be An Earl
We went about 55 hours. Have some friends who are still out and nearing 72.
Was cute to BBQ meals for the first 24. Got kind of grating afterwards.
Legault says it'd be 100 billion to bury all power lines, but I'm thinking we can save some if we leave Saguenay in the dark.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

NZAmoeba posted:

Well that 45.5 hour power cut sure was fun. Has anyone considered not stringing them through trees?

NZ buried all their lines and they don't even get freezing rain 3-4 times a year!
yeah but have you considered that its just so hard and expnesive?

I think I was out 60. And this is after losing it for 9 days last May. Forgot how long it was from the tornado back a few years ago, but at least 2 days. And oh boy, we still have storm season to go through! Looking forward to having a multi-day outage in the fall so I can just be paranoid all year round!

Hydro Ottawa's communications teams have been a pretty consistent disappointment. Maybe they can find some of the bucks for burying the lines by just getting rid of them. Being told it's a "multi day outage" multiple days into the outage sure is helpful!

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Apr 8, 2023

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

PT6A posted:

Oh god, even the English are making fun of us, and they consider beans on potato a meal.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bbc-race-across-the-world-1.6804863

20 years ago the BC Liberals killed off BC Rail (almost) and we are still paying for it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PT6A posted:

The irony being it was a British company that bought and ultimately killed off Greyhound.

Zibraltar
Jul 15, 2007

by VideoGames

EightFlyingCars posted:

there's this book called A Canticle For Leibowitz which is an extremely Catholic-flavoured story about reverence and guilt in a far-off, post-nuclear-war future where humanity bombed itself into a new dark age. i didn't get too far into it before getting drawn away by other things. i finished the first act and enjoyed what i read, but it didn't really light a fire under me. (i really should finish it sometime)

meanwhile, it's my edmonton writer buddy's favourite sci-fi novel, it's my partner's favourite sci-fi novel, and it's my dad's favourite novel period. surprise! they're all raised, lapsed Catholics and this book spoke directly to their bones.

there absolutely is a cultural component to Catholicism that sticks itself to your brain, and they've all readily confirmed it to my ex-lutheran rear end

It's a fine book. Basically the Catholic equivalent to Fallout. You may enjoy the works of Gene Wolfe if you'd like to explore more Catholic sci-fi.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
In the interior and Kootenays, greyhound has been replaced by, I poo poo you not, a shuttle service called Mountain Man Mike's that I'm pretty sure is a handful of people just running a few retro fitted ski shuttle buses up and down the trans Canada. It's all there is!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
The market provides.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
It's almost like public transit should be a well-funded public service that is free from a profit obligation.

Could be that it would be a step towards climate goals and vastly reducing the number of private vehicles on the road.

Or something.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
No, clearly if anyone needed to traverse the BC interior they would pay what the market deems a reasonable price to do so. Since they're not, no one needs to traverse the BC interior, so why would the BD NDP waste money on infrastructure no one will use?

Life as an economist is surprisingly straightforward

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Was just walking home from work a different route for the first time and i noticed a ton of cars parked illegally near a church service, and they all had little pieces of paper on their dashboards indicating they were with the church. I don't really care that much but those notes are bullshit right? Like there's nothing official from the city about that? Never really noticed before but I'm not usually out at 8am on a Sunday.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

You might get some leeway for a funeral, but IDK about Easter Sunday service.

They should just park in the bike lane like everyone else.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Call parking enforcement. I’m sure they’d love to know there’s a huge group of cars parked illegally, which even come with notes expressing implicit recognition that they’re parking illegally.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Mister Speaker posted:

Was just walking home from work a different route for the first time and i noticed a ton of cars parked illegally near a church service, and they all had little pieces of paper on their dashboards indicating they were with the church. I don't really care that much but those notes are bullshit right? Like there's nothing official from the city about that? Never really noticed before but I'm not usually out at 8am on a Sunday.

I recall seeing something like this before. There's definitely nothing official about this but you're basically at the mercy of how much your councillor thinks Christians should get special privileges. It'll be one of those things where they 'off the books' advise bylaw to do nothing about these particular people.
It does operate by being beneath notice for the most part so if you bring enough attention to it it'll probably get taken care of.

Also depends if this is a regular occurrence or just on the big services like Easter and Christmas.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
oh right it's a holiday, that's like the third time I've forgotten this weekend, after the Good Friday parade woke me up and I was like "whoa downtown is empty wtf."

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

The mild neighbourhood controversy in my neighbourhood is that there's a church across from the school, and the school has an arrangement to let church goers park on the gravel field on Sunday morning.

Some people Get Mad about this injustice. because the park is for kids to play on, but there is also like many, many parks around so :shrug:

Zibraltar
Jul 15, 2007

by VideoGames

Femtosecond posted:

The mild neighbourhood controversy in my neighbourhood is that there's a church across from the school, and the school has an arrangement to let church goers park on the gravel field on Sunday morning.

Some people Get Mad about this injustice. because the park is for kids to play on, but there is also like many, many parks around so :shrug:

Imagine getting mad about someone using a gravel field from 8-12 on a Sunday

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Conversely, everyone should always be antagonistic with the church

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I had a church lady very loud and angry with me because they waited until the last minute to request using a lot. My manager said no and lawdy that was not good enough, but after I figured out no 1 curr about her at all it was pretty funny.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.

Pleads posted:

Conversely, everyone should always be antagonistic with the cars
ftfy

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Oh drat, I honestly thought I'd posted those church parking comments in the Toronto Thread, sorry, I hadn't slept.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Pleads posted:

Conversely, everyone should always be antagonistic with the church

Yes indeed. A big service is a money-making enterprise for them whether they admit to it or not, they can pay for the land they use like everyone else.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Mister Speaker posted:

On street parking rules will not be enforced over the Easter weekend in Toronto.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

or people can take the bus or walk to church if there's no parking room. that feels more appropriate. If you think public transit is below you, then it's humbling. If it's too inconvenient, a little "suffering" is a good for the soul, and what better to say you love god and jesus then the extra effort spent? otherwise, you can be among the people! How can you expect to ascend to heaven and be among god's loved if you close you heart in your personal vehicle and hide away from the rest of the world?

and let's not even start on about the sinful folk who take up multiple parking spaces with their F-150s.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Oxyclean posted:

or people can take the bus or walk to church if there's no parking room. that feels more appropriate. If you think public transit is below you, then it's humbling. If it's too inconvenient, a little "suffering" is a good for the soul, and what better to say you love god and jesus then the extra effort spent? otherwise, you can be among the people! How can you expect to ascend to heaven and be among god's loved if you close you heart in your personal vehicle and hide away from the rest of the world?

and let's not even start on about the sinful folk who take up multiple parking spaces with their F-150s.

.....go on.....

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

I don't know, just as Kenneth Copeland declared commercial aircraft to be "tubes full of demons" surely the public transit system is rife with demons also?

StoicRomance
Jan 3, 2013

The dumbest story in recent Canadian history gets a credulous laundering by the CBC, written by three GROWN ADULT REPORTERS who have never suspected the RCMP of uttering a false word in their life.

https://www.cbc.ca/newsinteractives/features/when-anarchists-attack

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

StoicRomance posted:

The dumbest story in recent Canadian history gets a credulous laundering by the CBC, written by three GROWN ADULT REPORTERS who have never suspected the RCMP of uttering a false word in their life.

Meanwhie, the Globe and Mail ran big Saturday editorial about the RCMP.

The headline speaks for itself

The RCMP can’t do its job. It’s time to rebuild it from scratch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

StoicRomance posted:

Hey there somebody typed the word anarchy onto a Facebook post, how many more dots do they need to connect for you.