Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

TotalLossBrain posted:

Snowing again in Portland WTF
Yeah, back to winter again, wtf indeed, snow all over everything this morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Christ, i had the scariest ride in my whole life today. When i left, there was a moderate wind. No big deal, have ridden on windy days plenty of times.

At first, i just had a pretty strong head wind, 5bft as reported by some weather stations. No big deal. Just had to give it some extra throttle and tuck in. However, around Schiphol airport, the highway turned to be almost to perpendicular the wind, with 7 or 8 bft gusts. I felt like i was riding at the absolute limit of traction on the front wheel, practically unable to keep a straight line. I was one gust away from moving onto the hard shoulder and crawling along at city speeds, just because it didn't feel safe anymore.

I ended up exiting the highway about 8km down the road, to find a safer route through cities and on slower roads. I stopped, to check if my tires were still hard and whether i didn't have oil dripping on my tires because i was thrown around so much that i suspected there was more wrong than just the wind - but no. Bike was completely fine (except for the horn that quit working for some reason). I put on my rain suit too, because the ridiculous wind ripped through my perforated leathers and made me very cold.

On the way back, i had mosty a tail wind and that didn't bother me much, except when the wind and road again started to turn perpendicular. I exited the highway before a large flyover construction where i'd be 20m up into the air with a perpendicular wind, finding a way through Amsterdam's port area to a place where i felt i could safely enter the highway again.

Be safe, folks. Don't let 'get there-itis' get you, take it slow if you have to.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I thought I was fine with it being a little lovely because I figured I’d add some of the bits and baubles I’ve picked up for the bike, but it’s cold enough that I don’t actually feel like laying on the garage floor today.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Why do I keep needing object lessons to remind me to always aggressively scan the pavement in front of me? This morning I almost dropped the Triumph like a block from home, in a left-hand turn I usually hit with the vanvan and its chonky tires. It's a rough patch of pavement that I've learned to ignore apart from the worst potholes, but street tires plus a brand new pile of gravel that I rode heedlessly through nearly wrecked my day. When compensating I dipped my foot hard hard enough to hurt a little, and while I'm glad that's the second time such a dip has saved the Triumph from a drop, it's also a habit that will probably get my leg and groin seriously injured in an unrecoverable situation.

Moments like this usually scare me straight for a little while, but here and there I always end up riding right over or through things that I should've spotted and avoided.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Familiarity leads to complacency. Complacency leads to mistakes. You just have to stay permanently alert. Train yourself to be constantly looking for anything out of the ordinary.

I don't think anyone is born with this ability. Humans spend their whole lives evolving through different forms of self-destructiveness, from the ignorance of childhood, to the recklessness of adolescence, to the overconfidence of adulthood, to the obliviousness of old age. People don't usually start to become cautious until they've had a couple of good scares. As much as it would be nice to entirely avoid that stage of motorcycling, I think it is a necessary step in learning to ride well, and getting out of these situations with nothing more than a pounding pulse and a renewed sense of mortality is about the best you can hope for.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Ok the 75 mph windstorm is not infact better then the snow.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
There’s a stop sign that people consistently blow through maybe 1/4 mile from my house. It helps me remember to stay vigilant all the way home.

It’s so fricking easy to space out when you’re in the home stretch.

I still catch myself getting to the first stop sign about 3 blocks from home before my brain kicks in, though. I definitely find it easier to remember that I am most likely to wreck close to home at the end of a ride than at the beginning of it.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Ok the 75 mph windstorm is not infact better then the snow.

I bet your roads will be cleaner when it's over

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not
I joined a bunch of local riding groups on FB a couple of months back because I thought they'd be an ok way to source parts for my oldish bike, and now I'm leaving all of them because every one of them is the worst. I keep thinking about something a queer activist friend told me once - that whatever marginal community or subculture you're in, you'll always find the biggest rear end in a top hat in charge, and basically my rant here is directed towards myself: you should have known better you loving idiot

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

I mean to be fair that's true of the culture at large as well.

I've somehow managed to build an entire unwanted career in management because blathering assholes keep threatening to bubble to the top and become my incompetent boss.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Remy Marathe posted:

I mean to be fair that's true of the culture at large as well.

I've somehow managed to build an entire unwanted career in management because blathering assholes keep threatening to bubble to the top and become my incompetent boss.

If it helps, you're not alone. I even left my last job at an executive level because I just wanted to be an individual contributor but here I am in management again.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Same here. Left executive management to start my own company because with very few exceptions most corporate management groups are filled sociopaths failing upwards by absolutely parrying blame and accountability like they’re playing MBA Dark Souls.

I make less money and I don’t know if my business will still be a business a year from now but I’ve never been happier. I see the results of my work and I don’t have 15 layers to go through to get something done.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

:sickos:

it stopped loving snowing

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

FBS posted:

:sickos:

it stopped loving snowing

Musht be nische

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The loving left fork seal went in the goldwing :argh: and it’s supposed to be in the 70’s next week.

I’m gonna do the seal buddy dance but I don’t have much faith

I guess I’ll be out on the RV90, but either way, I’m riding.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Beve Stuscemi posted:

The loving left fork seal went in the goldwing :argh: and it’s supposed to be in the 70’s next week.

I’m gonna do the seal buddy dance but I don’t have much faith

I guess I’ll be out on the RV90, but either way, I’m riding.

Wait wasn’t it you who also had a fork seal blow in front of a prospective buyer?

I guess there’s no good time for a fork seal to go but.. drat.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

There is no fork big enough for an oldwing :btroll:

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I dropped off my Monster for Desmo service a week ago and the weather has been gorgeous and I probably won’t get it back for another week.

This is my sign that I need a backup bike.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

epswing posted:

Wait wasn’t it you who also had a fork seal blow in front of a prospective buyer?

I guess there’s no good time for a fork seal to go but.. drat.

Yes, but this time I think it’s because my anti-dive is partially stuck on (because it’s only leaking on the fork that does the anti-dive). I’ll be fully disabling that when I do the seals.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Quite A Tool posted:

I dropped off my Monster for Desmo service a week ago and the weather has been gorgeous and I probably won’t get it back for another week.

This is my sign that I need a backup bike.

Having a Ducati is a sign you need a backup bike

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Yes, but this time I think it’s because my anti-dive is partially stuck on (because it’s only leaking on the fork that does the anti-dive). I’ll be fully disabling that when I do the seals.

You can't just disable Honda's high tech system! You'll pay for this!!!

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

In my short time with the FJR the linked brakes have really been growing on me

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

Slavvy posted:

Having a Ducati is a sign you need a backup bike

First of all how dare you.

I knew this was coming when I bought the bike but the Seattle area is basically devoid of Ducati techs so it will absolutely go on to a new owner well before the next Desmo service comes up.

Jokes on me though cause I’ll probably get an Aprilia next.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Yay, good weather, now i can ride comfortably in my leathers instead of in multiple layers of textile.

God loving damnit why is it SO loving BUSY everywhere. I honestly had a better ride in the rain a while back than today.
I was gonna tag along with a Kawasaki test ride because they usually do nice routes, but their group decided to stay in a traffic jam and not filter (completely understandable) but i really didn't feel like being stationary for a good 10 minutes so i filtered and went my own way.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 8, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

FBS posted:

In my short time with the FJR the linked brakes have really been growing on me

I know it makes me old, but the linked brakes on the goldwing are super nice. I still brake with both levers, and if I brake with one it’s usually the front, but every once in a while if I need to scrub off a couple of mph it’s nice to just tap the pedal and have the bike actually slow down

Slavvy posted:

You can't just disable Honda's high tech system! You'll pay for this!!!

I can, and I will!

I already partially disabled it, but I don’t think I went far enough. It’s super easy to do, you just stick a washer between the activator portion and the fork leg, so the activator can’t reach the thing it’s supposed to hit in the fork leg. I don’t think I used a thick enough spacer though. So it’s time to chuck another washer in there.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 8, 2023

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

My muffler finally blew a hole in its rusted self. gently caress. I've had bad luck working on exhausts in the past, so I hope that I can remove this.

Good news for me is that wemoto has a replacement exhaust for like $83 US dollars shipped. If I can get this old one off.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slide Hammer posted:

If I can get this old one off.

you can rent a sawzall from home depot for like 20 dollars :eng101:

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

On my cavalier I had good luck with a patch of JB Weld and a mountain dew can, YMMV.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Remy Marathe posted:

On my cavalier I had good luck with a patch of JB Weld and a mountain dew can, YMMV.

What's the motorcycle equivalent of a cavalier?

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

That might actually have been my '98 Suzuki GS500e. Though the oil filter was better placed on the suzuki by a longshot.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Trying to think of a bike with no redeeming qualities that is nonetheless everywhere and all I can think of is the Hyosung gt250

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

What's the motorcycle equivalent of a cavalier?

A Buell Blast.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Slavvy posted:

Trying to think of a bike with no redeeming qualities that is nonetheless everywhere and all I can think of is the Hyosung gt250

Harley-Davidson

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Finger Prince posted:

A Buell Blast.

It’s this.

It was never good to begin with and it’s had 800 PO’s who all ruined it in highly personalized and inscrutable ways

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Slide Hammer posted:

My muffler finally blew a hole in its rusted self. gently caress. I've had bad luck working on exhausts in the past, so I hope that I can remove this.

Good news for me is that wemoto has a replacement exhaust for like $83 US dollars shipped. If I can get this old one off.

Just want to report that this bolt came off easily—Didn't even need half of my strength with a breaker bar and it started to smoothly turn. I'm happy that I had the prescience to apply copper grease to the threads the last time this happened.

I'm gonna spray the replacement exhaust with clearcoat in hopes that it will retard the onset of rust this time... this exhaust pipe only lasted 4-5 years.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
isn't clearcoat just gonna burn off the first time you ride

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Yes, obviously this calls for cerakote :getin:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

It’s this.

It was never good to begin with and it’s had 800 PO’s who all ruined it in highly personalized and inscrutable ways

Also meets the "how is this piece of poo poo still running?!" criteria.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

isn't clearcoat just gonna burn off the first time you ride

Yep.

A plain steel exhaust system sounds disturbingly cheap. If you can't get one that's made of stainless or titanium, or chromed, it should at least be galvanized.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Apr 9, 2023

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

It's chromed. As a manner of habit, I assume. I doubt anyone makes anything else for a GN125 (most bottom-dwelling, food-and-mail-deliverying motorcycle).

I just don't want it to rust out as quickly, due to riding year-round. Might as well do something to it while it's new and off the bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I'm pretty sure there isn't any one off treatment you can do to a mild steel exhaust to stop it rusting after a few years of all weather riding. It's a GN125 though, at least replacements are cheap and plentiful.

Seriously, 4-5 years for an $80 part is really good.