Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

HopperUK posted:

It's not the same as this guy but we booted a few people from Games because they only ever posted in the Star Citizen thread - I mean, only EVER posted there, this is the Star Citizen forum for them - and they hadn't absorbed the rest of SA's general culture and how it's shifted over the years. So one long-time poster there thought it was fine to start expressing textbook transphobic 'I just wish they wouldn't dilute what it means to be a woman' poo poo, and when they got booted suddenly there were two more all 'oh it's all WITCH HUNTS now? it's all WRONGTHINK now? people can't have OPINIONS now?'
The only saving grace is that the subforum has good mods who were quick to take out the trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Seth Pecksniff posted:

There really wasn't a reason to suspect Dm was a permabanned poster, but I think the gimmick started going to their head in the last few months and it caused them to slip up

I'm not a super genius GBS mod but maybe if someone's a weird gimmick account treat them with suspicion? Just a thought.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I'm not a super genius GBS mod but maybe if someone's a weird gimmick account treat them with suspicion? Just a thought.

Do you really want us to run an alt check on you?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

which perma'd user is clamdestine boyarder

e: lol nice weird defensiveness from the gbs mod

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
It was a joke about how VVG's gimmick is just being an angry turd :mad:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Seth Pecksniff posted:

:rolleyes:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Seth Pecksniff posted:

That's the default goon state, not a gimmick.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

The only saving grace is that the subforum has good mods who were quick to take out the trash.

why thank you

NGL it's the only time I've hit buttons in anger and I ain't sorry

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

HopperUK posted:

why thank you

NGL it's the only time I've hit buttons in anger and I ain't sorry
No, I get it - someone who you think is a cool person, and who some might even think of as a friend, suddenly turning out to be a transphobe? That's pretty much the opposite of fun.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
I get it. Why would you ever check “guy who has to get punished three times for every infraction because he’s using parachutes” for more parachutes

BUMBACLOT
Jun 19, 2008

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I’d rather read a thousand of Vincent’s posts than a single one of yours tbh

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Speaking of Driftingmouse, I wonder what led me to add this note:

I feel like there might be a saga there?

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
kiwifarms tends to be fairly bereft of comedy. with the sole exception of trying to doxx ZDR and doxxing the goatse man instead

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

kiwifarms tends to be fairly bereft of comedy. with the sole exception of trying to doxx ZDR and doxxing the goatse man instead
Oh, absolutely - but I must've had some reason to conclude that Driftingmouse posted there.
I'm guessing I found something in archives at some point, but it's not coming up now and I can't remember what I was looking for then.

Besides, Kirk is a hero, and his pride is like an old friend at this point.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

There was also them trying to dox FAU, only being able to find a dog, and it not being a dog that is in any way related to FAU

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Seth Pecksniff posted:

His gimmick is actually never quite landing a joke

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Sure. Go nuts. This is my one and only account since 2001.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

HopperUK posted:

It's not the same as this guy but we booted a few people from Games because they only ever posted in the Star Citizen thread - I mean, only EVER posted there, this is the Star Citizen forum for them - and they hadn't absorbed the rest of SA's general culture and how it's shifted over the years. So one long-time poster there thought it was fine to start expressing textbook transphobic 'I just wish they wouldn't dilute what it means to be a woman' poo poo, and when they got booted suddenly there were two more all 'oh it's all WITCH HUNTS now? it's all WRONGTHINK now? people can't have OPINIONS now?'

A lot of the Star Citizen thread are (or at least used to be) reddit transplants that migrated over specifically just for SC chat. I remember at one point someone did the "Boy this user sure does suck [posts hyperlink code that always links back to your profile]" joke in the thread, and one of them didn't get the joke and started sending angry PMs to the jokester and made a couple defensive posts in the thread about it.

To that thread's credit though most of the posters told the transphobes to shut up or gently caress off.

Doctor Goat posted:

There was also them trying to dox FAU, only being able to find a dog, and it not being a dog that is in any way related to FAU

I remember looking at that thread because some people told me some chat logs of me talking in IRC were posted there. They were in the middle of trying to doxx Baby Black Goku because he trolled the creepy Schmorky thread until it got gassed and I think he was the one where they allegedly found his dog but it wasn't actually his. They were also gleeful about how they'd scraped all the pet picture threads and could "doxx everyone's pets" now. It was a lot of obviously aggrieved GBS 2.0 posters who didn't like that people thought GBS 2.0 sucked for some reason...

:thunk:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

His gimmick is actually never quite landing a joke

Fair.

Skratte
Nov 11, 2010

Oh, absolutely - but I must've had some reason to conclude that Driftingmouse posted there.
I'm guessing I found something in archives at some point, but it's not coming up now and I can't remember what I was looking for then.

His first entry in his rap sheet is a probe for posting about Chris chan I think, maybe it's that

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Shut the gently caress up seth

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
If anyone really wants to talk more about why nobody noticed that Driftingmouse was a permabanned psycho for a long while then that's definitely something for SAD shop talk and how easy or reliable alt checks are and not here. If he said something funny or whatever, sure, bring it up here, but it sounds like he was more of a miserable creep than anything.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nuns with Guns posted:

If anyone really wants to talk more about why nobody noticed that Driftingmouse was a permabanned psycho for a long while then that's definitely something for SAD shop talk and how easy or reliable alt checks are and not here. If he said something funny or whatever, sure, bring it up here, but it sounds like he was more of a miserable creep than anything.

It's not so much that it was ever funny, but it's vaguely interesting because even by gimmick account standards, reregging repeatedly to post vaguely famous people obit threads is a strange gimmick.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I've said it before and I'll say it again - they did it for jerking off reasons

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again - they did it for jerking off reasons

I know nothing gets me hotter than posting a thread about how the creator of Bubsy is dead.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

The most interesting thing about it is that even by gimmick account standards, "reregging repeatedly to post vaguely famous people obit threads" is a strange choice of gimmick.

The weird part is that they tried several gimmicks and none of them really worked but all of them managed to annoy the mods so…partial success?

None of them were funny or entertaining at all.
-Covid denialism
-d list celebrity deaths
-endlessly self-quoting
(And apparently homophobia/transphobia)

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

I know nothing gets me hotter than posting a thread about how the creator of Bubsy is dead.

RIP.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

It's not so much that it was ever funny, but it's vaguely interesting because even by gimmick account standards, reregging repeatedly to post vaguely famous people obit threads is a strange gimmick.

Yeah no idea lol. I guess if not for jerkoff reasons, then just to see how long he could be a constant low-key irritant with no redeeming qualities before the hammer dropped on his head? It's weird how often that happens here, but I suppose part of that is this is one of the few places that would allow "gimmick" posting for more than a couple attempts before being shut down.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Speaking of Driftingmouse, I wonder what led me to add this note:

I feel like there might be a saga there?

That doesn't show up for me. weird

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I'm not a super genius GBS mod

*leans into mic with a sly smile* Ahem. Yeah you are. Get roasted.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Frank Frank posted:

The weird part is that they tried several gimmicks and none of them really worked but all of them managed to annoy the mods so…partial success?

None of them were funny or entertaining at all.
-Covid denialism
-d list celebrity deaths
-endlessly self-quoting
(And apparently homophobia/transphobia)

annoying the mods isnt hard

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Frank Frank posted:

Sure. Go nuts. This is my one and only account since 2001.

lol

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
[GBS mods getting into the Naruto kancho pose]

"Alright it's alt check time you pissbabies."

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Seth Pecksniff posted:

drat, what does villians.fandom.com/wiki say about him?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

pentyne posted:

drat, what does villians.fandom.com/wiki say about him?

lol I forgot about that

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

tbh I can kind of respect a gimmick poster that deliberately goes for the most boring and artless gimmick possible. gently caress him for being a transphobe though.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

https://villains.fandom.com/wiki/Beavis_and_Butt-head

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I guess it is appropriate one of the shittiest GBS threads ever brought down one the shittiest gimmicks ever but this also reminded me how one of seraph84's reregs (insane bitcoin-loving rereg goon who previously got banned for asking people to explain what minors are) got busted after flying under the radar for years in one of the shittiest QCS threads ever

Cyrano4747 posted:

We have some tools on the admin side that can help identify perma'd accounts. I'm not going to get into the nuts and bolts of that for obvious reasons. Some of them are the usual poo poo you'd expect if you've ever done any kind of network poo poo, some are unique to Something Awful.

That said, we don't go out and actively look for perma'd accounts. That's not a great use of the limited time that our (volunteer, unpaid) modmin staff is willing to donate to the forums. We've toyed with automated tools but those turn up a lot of false positives, and we don't want to boot innocent people because something about their online profile looked like a notorious jerk. Frankly if a perma'd person wants to just lurk until the end of time I doubt that we'd notice. What usually happens is some brand new account runs into a thread and starts being an rear end in a top hat, often in a way that reminds everyone of some perma'd jerk, and we get asked to take a look. The baleful, fiery Eye of Admin gazes upon them and if they are revealed to be a perma'd jerk we do the needful.

Crypto Cobain posted:

In that case, have an admin use one of those network tools to check up on me. :shrug:

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

EorayMel posted:

I guess it is appropriate one of the shittiest GBS threads ever brought down one the shittiest gimmicks ever but this also reminded me how one of seraph84's reregs (insane bitcoin-loving rereg goon who previously got banned for asking people to explain what minors are) got busted after flying under the radar for years in one of the shittiest QCS threads ever

what are you gonna do, alt check me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Watched Chainsaw Man last night, first 6 eps. Good poo poo def.