Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
My opinion is that all jobs should be wfh, controlling robots if there's physical labor and it is the moral duty of every man, woman, and enby to get paid as much as possible for the least amount of work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Cyks posted:

Welp the CEO announced we are going back to 5 days in the office.
Policy was 4 days on-site but between every cubicle outside of his office being empty 90% of the time and the numerous requests I’ve gotten lately from managers asking if I can track if employees are working because they’d send a teams message/email in the morning and not hear back until 5, I knew it was coming very soon.

Is this normal in your industry and location?

For what percentage of workers would this be a dealbreaker? I mean we are a niche group here folx so what do you think.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Inner Light posted:

Is this normal in your industry and location?

For what percentage of workers would this be a dealbreaker? I mean we are a niche group here folx so what do you think.

I truly cannot see myself ever going back to 5 days, but I’d love a 2/3 day split. I feel like you need to make the same days mandatory for the whole company though to get value out of it.

I truly believe you do lose things not being in person. I also believe the convenience for me, the worker bee, more than makes up for it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

i'm pretty happy with my 1/52 schedule

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I will never, never ever go back into an office. Never.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
lol

https://www.techradar.com/news/samsung-workers-leaked-company-secrets-by-using-chatgpt

Let's type in trade secrets into a computer somewhere in the Cloud that we have no control over, what could go wrong?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Lol the lil program I made to make PDFs readable by our electronic lab notebooks got flagged in a scan as malware 💀

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
I should really get out of customer support. My org just announced they're going to be implementing SLAs, monetary incentive customer satisfaction (whatever that means), and an on-call schedule. Pretty much exactly what I was looking to avoid when I was job searching before I got this gig. It worries me that I'm going to burn out even sooner.

My resume isn't too great the last few years, a few jobs kept less than 2 years thanks to covid and re-orgs. I'm not too far from completing my bachelors at WGU but I've been withdrawn for almost a year now due to personal poo poo, should really get that tackled. That'll also get me the AWS SAA and SOA.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Blurb3947 posted:

I should really get out of customer support. My org just announced they're going to be implementing SLAs, monetary incentive customer satisfaction (whatever that means), and an on-call schedule. Pretty much exactly what I was looking to avoid when I was job searching before I got this gig. It worries me that I'm going to burn out even sooner.

My resume isn't too great the last few years, a few jobs kept less than 2 years thanks to covid and re-orgs. I'm not too far from completing my bachelors at WGU but I've been withdrawn for almost a year now due to personal poo poo, should really get that tackled. That'll also get me the AWS SAA and SOA.

You have ~2 months before poo poo is miserable. Start looking now

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

George H.W. oval office posted:

In what way?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

xzzy posted:

My motivation is I end up homeless if I get fired for not working.

Fear works!

I go into the office for the same reason John Dillinger robbed banks: that's where the money is.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/bolton69420/status/1644328880323297280?s=20

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

I will just quit working instead. gently caress an office

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

George H.W. oval office posted:

What's going on in two months time??

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

KillHour posted:

In what way?

Management is now strongly invested in KPIs, no matter how stupid, asinine, counterproductive or self sabotaging they may be. Every member of your team is now aggressively cherrypicking the easy tickets to milk for whatever KPI stats they care about (time to closure, feedback score, KB article linkage, etc), and actively making GBS threads on each-other by blind reassigning troublesome tickets before closure to pass the lovely ticket KPIs to someone else.

Management will micromanage the poo poo out of your team, with senior leadership (whichever MBA ghoul spearheaded this initiative) 'just asking questions' like 'why did diagnosing this BGP issue take longer than the mean ticket resolution time for password resets?' and 'the Sr. engineers take 4x longer to resolve a ticket than the underpaid interns, why are we paying them to work slower?' with no interest in learning or caring that tickets aren't fungible and some are harder to fix than others.

About 6 months in you start to see real churn where everyone in a position to tell the company 'It's not me, it's you, I quit' actually does so, and now you have KPIs to hit with half as many people.

About a year your job is outsourced to a BPOs place in india and you're constructively dismissed for 'poor performance'.

About a year after that, they onshore the helpdesk, the VP who came up with the idea has moved to another company, and every bit of institutional knowledge is gone, yet the KPIs are still there.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

What’s the lottery numbers for tomorrow now?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

jaegerx posted:

What’s the lottery numbers for tomorrow now?

4 8 15 16 23 42

:lost:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

4 8 15 16 23 42

:lost:

you just triggered me

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Management is now strongly invested in KPIs, no matter how stupid, asinine, counterproductive or self sabotaging they may be. Every member of your team is now aggressively cherrypicking the easy tickets to milk for whatever KPI stats they care about (time to closure, feedback score, KB article linkage, etc), and actively making GBS threads on each-other by blind reassigning troublesome tickets before closure to pass the lovely ticket KPIs to someone else.

Management will micromanage the poo poo out of your team, with senior leadership (whichever MBA ghoul spearheaded this initiative) 'just asking questions' like 'why did diagnosing this BGP issue take longer than the mean ticket resolution time for password resets?' and 'the Sr. engineers take 4x longer to resolve a ticket than the underpaid interns, why are we paying them to work slower?' with no interest in learning or caring that tickets aren't fungible and some are harder to fix than others.

About 6 months in you start to see real churn where everyone in a position to tell the company 'It's not me, it's you, I quit' actually does so, and now you have KPIs to hit with half as many people.

About a year your job is outsourced to a BPOs place in india and you're constructively dismissed for 'poor performance'.

About a year after that, they onshore the helpdesk, the VP who came up with the idea has moved to another company, and every bit of institutional knowledge is gone, yet the KPIs are still there.

This is giving me some serious PTSD. It is 100% true, though.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

yeah we went through this at my job, you missed the part before the india part where everyone is fired and rehired by a vendor service management company at 1/3rd the salary

it was a three year long disaster before we returned to onshore

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Can someone save this so we can just quote it over and over.

e: also on a call today with Okta I kept referring to them as otaku.

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Apr 8, 2023

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Wtf is a field cto and how do I get that job?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Probably gotta go into the office to start. Then kiss a lot of rear end.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
You don’t need to go into the office. Field CTO is the king of whiteboard bullshit nonsense and buzzwords. And the people who have the title will probably knife you for thinking about trying to apply. It’s a coveted position for masters of nonsense and presales

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

https://github.com/Torantulino/Auto-GPT#-features

Soon I will build an AI to poo poo post for me.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
Holy poo poo I really hate it when recruiters come to me with awesome sounding jobs I really want to do, only to get to the end of the discussion and hit me with a "oh, it looks like you're asking for more than this company is willing to offer".

Man, you see my resume, you know I was just working for a giant tech company, please do not act surprised when I refuse to drop to below market rates, especially not 25k below them.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Umbreon posted:

Holy poo poo I really hate it when recruiters come to me with awesome sounding jobs I really want to do, only to get to the end of the discussion and hit me with a "oh, it looks like you're asking for more than this company is willing to offer".

Man, you see my resume, you know I was just working for a giant tech company, please do not act surprised when I refuse to drop to below market rates, especially not 25k below them.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?userid=176093

Wouldn't hire.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Not sure what this is supposed to link to, but it seems to be broken and says "Displaying jerks 1 - 0 of 0"

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Umbreon posted:

Not sure what this is supposed to link to, but it seems to be broken and says "Displaying jerks 1 - 0 of 0"

Your forums resume is blank.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

jaegerx posted:

Your forums resume is blank.

Ah gently caress that went right over my head lol

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

jaegerx posted:

https://github.com/Torantulino/Auto-GPT#-features

Soon I will build an AI to poo poo post for me.

I bet the internet and social media is going to be absolutely filled with bots in the short term future.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
How do you get into IT as a total outsider? I lost my job a few weeks ago. I went to business school from 2015-2018 and after 5 years in that world. I realize they aren't my people and it's not my thing. I'm 33 and I unfortunately don't have the luxury of working a $30k job to get my foot in the door though I do think I could make 42ish work if that's what it takes (this would be a 25% income cut but we can scrape by on that). The other issue is that I don't have two nickels to rub together so I can't afford to go out and get any certs right now. Is this a possible hill to climb or am I stuck in the white collar world of TPS reports?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
No certs or relevant work experience is going to be a tough way to get in. Can you project manage? IT has an endless need for project managers, and it’ll get you up on the lingo and provide exposure to things that might interest you. Also an income that can be used to pick up training/certs.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I bet the internet and social media is going to be absolutely filled with bots in the short term future.

oh they're not already??!!

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

zimbomonkey posted:

How do you get into IT as a total outsider? I lost my job a few weeks ago. I went to business school from 2015-2018 and after 5 years in that world. I realize they aren't my people and it's not my thing. I'm 33 and I unfortunately don't have the luxury of working a $30k job to get my foot in the door though I do think I could make 42ish work if that's what it takes (this would be a 25% income cut but we can scrape by on that). The other issue is that I don't have two nickels to rub together so I can't afford to go out and get any certs right now. Is this a possible hill to climb or am I stuck in the white collar world of TPS reports?

Where do you live? Depending on what state (or even city) that you're in, some states will cover the cost of certs if you're unemployed/were laid off. A+ is like 400 bucks all together for both exams, Net+ is 250ish, Sec+ is 300. As far as study materials, they are easy to come by for free and a lot of local libraries give you free Udemy access too.

I'm 36, and I quit my god awful job in December to just knock out certs and switch careers. I had taken CCNA courses in high school but opted to go to college for a history degree instead, so I did have some background. I've currently got one job offer for around 50K, and another that I might get early next week for 60k after I started really seriously looking about a month ago. These are both entry level roles, but I am also in a high cost of living area (DC). It's certainly doable to find something around 42K or higher if you're in a major metro area, but it's not in any way shape or form a stupidly easy transition. If you know anyone locally that's working in IT, ask them if they know anyone that's hiring for entry level, because that will help a ton, certs or not. Also if you don't do even a casual amount of computer touching in your own time (being able to build and troubleshoot a computer, understanding very basic command line stuff, knowing what active directory is), it will be even harder to break in. Not trying to dissuade you, just lay out the reality of it.

Also what EoRaptor said.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
For entry level if you can show that you can think critically, the other poo poo can be taught. If you’re a problem solver, lead with that. Give examples of times that you’ve troubleshot issues, the steps you took, all that.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

zimbomonkey posted:

The easiest path to landing that first entry-level gig is going to be networking. Hit up anyone and everyone in your contacts that might be able to refer you for a job opening. Go on Meetup and search for local programming/hacking/data groups in your area and start attending.

You might be able to leverage your business domain knowledge into a data analyst job. Sure, it's not "traditional" IT but it'll get you in the room and you can take off from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

EoRaptor posted:

No certs or relevant work experience is going to be a tough way to get in. Can you project manage? IT has an endless need for project managers, and it’ll get you up on the lingo and provide exposure to things that might interest you. Also an income that can be used to pick up training/certs.

I can project manage and it was one of the things I was looking into doing. What I'm running into is that everyone seems to also need experience in whatever field they're in and about 90% want a scrum cert (which I almost pursued a few years ago before some life events made that an unrealistic expenditure). I live in Charlotte, NC. I've been applying to PM jobs in several different fields but I haven't gotten any response at all from any of them.