Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

on switch probably rune factory 4 if you didn't play it. i hear the performance on 5 is(was?) bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Jelly posted:

I've kind of been thinking about picking up a new one of these games on the Switch, is there one that is regarded as just the absolute best, golden calf?

I've put hundreds of hours into Stardew Valley in the past so I'm kind of averse to playing that one again. I tried Coral Island on Gamepass and IMO these types of games should not be released in early access. I don't want to play something that isn't even close to finished but I think I do want to play a farming game again.

Rune Factory 4 unless you don't like anime. RF4 gives you a large and expandable farm but you spend slightly more time fighting. In exchange, every npc has so many lines of dialogue you will not see a repeat for the first 2 years. It has multiple major story arcs that you can advance at your leisure. The marriage quests chains average ~40 minutes long and are some of the most charming and wholesome in the genre. Almost everyone is insane in the best way.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

baram. posted:

on switch probably rune factory 4 if you didn't play it. i hear the performance on 5 is(was?) bad.

RF5 performance was very bad on switch. Its PC performance is much better at least.

Also agreeing that RF4S is easily the best of the group and is just a wonderful game all around with tons of content and dialogue.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
Thank you guys, sounds like there's a solid consensus

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I got to the endgame type areas where you’re running around the random gen maps on switch. But are there mods on the pc for RF4? Kinda feeling like another go.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Saxophone posted:

I got to the endgame type areas where you’re running around the random gen maps on switch. But are there mods on the pc for RF4? Kinda feeling like another go.

Unfortunately, not really. 2 pages of nexus mods. Only interesting one is a mod to allow same-gender marriages. Several mods do this actually. A few minor sprite mods.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

brainwrinkle posted:

Has anyone played Harvestella yet? I’m curious to hear first impressions.

It's good. I am enjoying the farm aspect and don't find it particularly limited or undercooked compared to the other games in the genre I've played and the combat feels a lot better than those other games to me, although it's not great. It's just fun to switch jobs around and guess which ff game they ripped the animations from (the answer is usually ff14). In terms of art and music it's definitely at the top of the chart on those fronts. The writing is... weird! Not necessarily in a bad way, it's just kinda all over the place. Probably best explained with the experience I had the last time I had played where I did a couple of sidequests.

Sidequest 1 was in the stupid zone. Went through a thing of helping a person find another person and when they found this person they had amnesia and the PC freaked out at this, with another nearby npc exclaiming oh no how can this be?!? This ignores that the PC is an amnesiac, and so is another npc you've got in your party so that makes this rando guy the 3rd amnesiac encountered in under a month.

Sidequest 2 was a good time where (shatolla area spoilers for a sidequest picked up on the beach involving a thief) You come across a random sahagin on the beach who has acquired treasures. Some kids run up and accuse the sahagin of stealling their treasures at which point you learn the sahagins name is Lord Vuvuzela and that he is a Sovereign Sahagin and your laws don't apply to him before he runs off and I was not expecting a sov cit reference.

So I find the farming fun and the combat fun and the writing to largely be fun so... it's fun! It's definitely a B game, I definitely wouldn't recommend it to people who are only interested in the life-sim side of things because the time breakdown is like 33% life-sim, 66% jrpg. I do think that full price is maybe a bit much and would find it a lot easier to recommend at 45. I don't regret buying it at all but I knew pretty much immediately that square enix farming sim is direct pandering to my sensibilities and the only deterrent would be poor performance. Which it runs great on pc, at least for me. Ran pretty mediocre on the switch but not bad enough where I wouldn't buy it if it was a switch exclusive.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Failboattootoot posted:

Sidequest 1 was in the stupid zone. Went through a thing of helping a person find another person and when they found this person they had amnesia and the PC freaked out at this, with another nearby npc exclaiming oh no how can this be?!? This ignores that the PC is an amnesiac, and so is another npc you've got in your party so that makes this rando guy the 3rd amnesiac encountered in under a month.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKkAZG5W6LU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Update, I've found a 4th quest npc with amnesia.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
harvestella is a game I'd describe as kind of unsure what it wants to be gameplay-wise but extremely sure of itself vibes-wise, and all the various modes of gameplay all have the same vibe so it feels artistically cohesive. And I'm very into the vibes its laying down

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I'll play it when it's 66% off. The price is just too steep.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FrickenMoron posted:

I'll play it when it's 66% off. The price is just too steep.

Yeah same.

It would be nice if there was a little better character customization though. I don’t care for the male or female options tbh.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i finished the harvestella demo and i thought it was pretty cool, might buy the full game later

also i started story of seasons trio of towns and its p cool too! a bit slower tho but also im only like 2 weeks in the game so far :v: also, is there no way to see tomorrows weather in it yet?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
i finally killed 3 griffins in rune factory 5

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I can forgive a lot about Olive Town, but jesus christ, Dog, move.

Nearing the end of Year 2. Trying to finish up, but really limited by how long it takes to improve quality of animal products through generations.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Apr 4, 2023

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Oh hi. I kinda lost track of this thread for awhile, and I even picked up Rune Factory 5 to play on my Deck!

Verdict: loving it! I've been absolutely enthralled. Thus far I like it even better than 4. Might have to circle back and get 4 special for it too at some point. But then I'd have to put up with having the worst character in town (Doug). Not particularly worth putting up with him to have Margaret around.

But yeah I'm loving it! I took what I learned in 4 and applied it here and I've been having an easy breezy time. I decided I wanted to be friends with the first boss very early on and spent a good half of spring making that happen, and had her in my party constantly until the post-game. Later I read that "tame the first boss early" is a common tip for beginners. :v: Well, it certainly worked out for me! I barely had to pay attention to my gear and just let my monster friends do all the killing.

Now I'm working through the post-game dungeon and actually caring about my equipment. I finally retired the Nintails and replaced her with Misa. My other party members are Fuuka and Radea. Thinking I'll marry Fuuka. She's cute.

Anyway, having a much easier time with Rigbarth Maze than I did Rune Prana. I barely bothered with Rune Prana because it just got so frustrating so quickly. Rigbarth Maze seems more reasonable so far.

Game good, I like!

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I really enjoyed 5, but it also felt like so much wasted potential too sadly. Everything is fine but a lot of things feel like a step down from 4 which is definitely not something you want after so many years of waiting. I also hope youre playing on PC because on switch the performance is complete rear end.
Do we have a release date for 3 Special?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Yup, Steam version on the Deck. Runs fine, though the button prompts all assume I have a keyboard.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

Yup, Steam version on the Deck. Runs fine, though the button prompts all assume I have a keyboard.

I’m gonna have to try it again because the last time I tried 5 on the deck it didn’t work because it didn’t register the deck controls.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
I'm glad you're enjoying RF5! I definitely prefer 4, but that's mostly down to how the animations in 5 feel and the relative lack of animation canceling. Also the poor switch performance. The capture ring thing was a good addition though, and I liked how they handled the seasonal farms, for the most part (again, loading screens were my primary issue there, so without that problem, it would have been a lot better).

My primary non-performance issue is actually the drop rates being absurdly awful on a lot of boss stuff for no particular reason. With 4, you rarely felt like you had to optimize for item drop chances. With 5, it's basically mandatory towards the endgame to put rare cans on your party's weapons, give them happy ring accessories, shove clovers into the items, and then do the same for yourself. The difference in drop rates with that setup is stark in 5 (something like 2-3% to 20%), where in 4 you'd basically just go from getting the item maybe 1/3 of the time to getting it 2/3 of the time.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Dirk the Average posted:

The capture ring thing was a good addition though, and I liked how they handled the seasonal farms, for the most part (again, loading screens were my primary issue there, so without that problem, it would have been a lot better).

I thought that the farm dragons were not seasonal fields? They were fine but I ended up only using one or two because of that.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Genovera posted:

I thought that the farm dragons were not seasonal fields? They were fine but I ended up only using one or two because of that.

I'm pretty sure they are? It doesn't matter as much in RF5 because all the seasonal bonus is is slightly faster growing, and by the time you've got a 5x growth multiplier that is hardly a big deal.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they aren't seasonal fields. the point of farm dragons is that their upgrade and buff system is crazy powerful.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012
I wouldn’t say rare cans and 4-leaf clovers are mandatory in RF5, mostly because abusing the crafting mechanic isn’t even needed to beat the optional dungeon.

Though the final story boss having a .5% drop on an item paired with it being constantly bugged and broken is also bad. But yes a full setup of drop rate increasing items makes the worst drop rate 18% instead of .5%.

However if they’re going to do low drop rates in the future they should probably give you an indication of what your actual rate is and actually explain how rare cans and clovers actually work in game. Like how the gently caress is a new player supposed to know that a rare can increases drop rate by a flat 3%? Fairly certain RF5 never hints at it and I don’t remember what hints RF4 gave.

Though they’re probably still going to keep doing it, but I hope they drop furniture placement from the series. I didn’t like it in RF4 and RF5 decided to go the extra gently caress you mile with these large gaps. Yes I’m aware of mods on PC and other tricks to have things closer together. I am not good at decorating and their systems for it are also bad.

Hopefully in the next game they don’t forget the invisible stone, or just flat out give us the option to hide pieces of gear. Another small nitpick, don’t make charging seeds only do a 2x2, but have everything still be stacks of 9.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The switch from 3x3 fields to 2x2 in RF4 while keeping the inventory limit 9 was one of the biggest sins of that game tbh

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

FrickenMoron posted:

Do we have a release date for 3 Special?
September 5th 2023 on Steam and Switch both.

Richlove
Jul 24, 2009

Paragon of primary care

"What?!?! You stuck that WHERE?!?!

:staredog:

Thanks again for the recommendation on Rune Factory 4s. It’s been my favorite time waster recently and is a perfect game for the steam deck as well. It has that that “play for just one more day” kinda itch that makes you lose track of time.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Pointlessly grindy, especially at the end. Which is a shame to end with such a sour taste.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Rune Factory 5 is weirdly paced with its requests. You get that griffin request way too early to be viable, and I'm being asked to ship lvl 5 crops long before I'm going to have any access to silver for the farm tools that make that happen.

Genuinely annoyed with how much of this game feels half assed at times.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

they aren't seasonal fields. the point of farm dragons is that their upgrade and buff system is crazy powerful.

Is this the feeding the farm dragons crystals to boost crop growth rate and such? All I've done so far is max out the size of each of their fields. I haven't messed with the other crystals much. I fed one dragon some Ignis Crystals for growth speed, but it didn't seem to boost it by that much, or is the appeal of it that you can buff the whole field at once? What are the best buffs? I'm at the point in the game where I have a pretty good cash flow going with my fields full of strawberries and pineapples. I haven't learned the recipe for Gold Juice yet, but I have access to all the gold crops and I'm working on getting them all to level 10.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Zesty posted:

Pointlessly grindy, especially at the end. Which is a shame to end with such a sour taste.

I didn't really mind the second storyline requiring a lot of grind, because it made me actually do stuff, whereas the first storyline was like, every requirement was something I just had laying in a storage box somewhere. The Orichalcum grind for every high level thing was real bad though!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

Is this the feeding the farm dragons crystals to boost crop growth rate and such? All I've done so far is max out the size of each of their fields. I haven't messed with the other crystals much. I fed one dragon some Ignis Crystals for growth speed, but it didn't seem to boost it by that much, or is the appeal of it that you can buff the whole field at once? What are the best buffs? I'm at the point in the game where I have a pretty good cash flow going with my fields full of strawberries and pineapples. I haven't learned the recipe for Gold Juice yet, but I have access to all the gold crops and I'm working on getting them all to level 10.

ignis is 2.0 growth speed per application, with it stacking up to 5.0. gaia restores health (if you are doing pineapples you should know how important that is) and provides enough defense to stormproof. ventus provides one extra item per harvest, which lasts as long as the plant is alive. this stacks up to 3 times. glacies are kind of pointless, but they are really easy to acquire.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

ignis is 2.0 growth speed per application, with it stacking up to 5.0. gaia restores health (if you are doing pineapples you should know how important that is) and provides enough defense to stormproof. ventus provides one extra item per harvest, which lasts as long as the plant is alive. this stacks up to 3 times. glacies are kind of pointless, but they are really easy to acquire.

:doh: I don't know why it didn't occurr to me that I could do it more than once. Yeah okay that's really huge. And the health thing. Would save me a lot of time whacking corn on my pineapple plots.

Yeah okay that's pretty massive. I definitely need to lean into that more. How long do the buffs last, aside from Ventus, which you said.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think the growth speed decays over time the same as any nutrient buffs. maybe the defense does too? i dunno, i used a bunch of different sites for info because there was no single good source.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Zesty posted:

I had fun with the switch version but I just felt like the maker system was too extensive.

Like half my farm was an industrial site.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yeah Olive Town’s real killer is just having to wait for makers to be done, and being efficient about it meant using majority of your land just for makers and storage boxes cause inventory management is a pain.

Not like you needed crops or animals for maximum profit anyways, since honey and mushrooms will give you all the money you need. Olive Town won’t rank super high in my ranking of SoS game but it’s passable enough. It’s held back by suddenly making everything more inconvenient, and trees and weeds constantly out to mess up your farm. There’s also just less festivals, and they don’t even have the crop/animal festivals so there’s even less reason to maximize crop/animal products.

Anyways, since I like looking up Story of Seasons staff, I did basically learn that they shuffled up the team again starting with the Mineral Town remake. So Olive Town is essentially an iteration on Mineral Town again, hence why it ignores a bunch of QoL stuff from the 3ds era, and why it’s back to mineral town’s small inventory.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Oh I had no idea.

I really loved the original SoS and it kinda feels like the series hasn't been able to move beyond that standard.

Fotm isn't really for me because of the time stop mechanic.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Shinjobi posted:

Rune Factory 5 is weirdly paced with its requests. You get that griffin request way too early to be viable, and I'm being asked to ship lvl 5 crops long before I'm going to have any access to silver for the farm tools that make that happen.

Genuinely annoyed with how much of this game feels half assed at times.

Yeah I enjoyed RF5 but it's very unfinished and weirdly tuned, you'll spend most of the game with 1-2 requests on the list that are wildly far out of reach and not even worth picking up until you're close to the requirements, like having 50 monsters tamed at once (do not even bother with the "get all villagers to 10 hearts" one, it takes forever and doesn't block any other requests or have a good reward)

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Admittedly I'm still making assumptions based off who's being listed as the director for each game, so despite both the FoMT remake and Olive Town having the same director, Hikaru Nakano, they were also developed in different studios still. Bullets Co. doing the FoMT remake and the upcoming Wonderful Life remake. Meanwhile, Olive Town was developed by Three Rings, who are also doing the upcoming Rune Factory 3 port.

Mostly, I just noticed how Tales of Two Town to Trio of Towns was basically under Takahiro Yura, and considering those set of games basically are all consistent with each other in design philosophy, it kinda tracks the dev team didn't change dramatically.

Anyways, the Wonderful Life remake will have Nakano bumped up to being a producer while Assistant Director Rika Hoshina got bumped up to Director, so I don't expect the current design philosophy for this generation to dramatically change. Which so far has been remaking the old games, but also removing bits like animals being able to get sick/die, which I'm not really a big fan of. Admittedly, it means you could just ignore your animals in Olive Town and let them starve with basically no penalty, saving you a bunch of time in your day. On the plus side, this current generation also fully added gay marriage so that's good all around,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Olive Town's Credits does include a Special Thanks to Bullet Co. though, making me speculate that they were involved to some degree at some point in development anyways. Especially since a lot of Olive Town's design really is just working off of Mineral Town's template. Story progression is basically locked by your tool upgrades similar to Mineral Town, and a lot of emphasis in both games essentially is focused on mining. Also your bag is still the same size as Mineral Town's, which sucks when you're having to hoard more materials for all the stuff you're dumping into makers.