Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
In Everspace 2 you can customize your engine wash color:

This is, by itself, way cooler than any of the aesthetics of Star Citizen. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral

BitBasher posted:

In space, how is a bomb and a mine not exactly the same thing?

For that matter how is there a bomb in space at all?

Well, Rian Johnson tried his hand at that one, to middling effect.

(otherwise TLJ is pretty decent).

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Sardonik posted:

In Everspace 2 you can customize your engine wash color:

This is, by itself, way cooler than any of the aesthetics of Star Citizen. :colbert:

How much does this cost in USD though?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Scruffpuff posted:

It's a genius grift. The psychology around it is astounding. I have a friend who still gets fooled by this on occasion, and it's always the screenshots or some carefully edited YouTube video he gets snared by, and my friends and I have to take 15 minutes to drag him back off the edge of the cliff.

One of the most impressive things about the CIG grift is how early it started, and how it's still going, and nobody else yet has even come close to imitating it. There have been attempts, but nobody has even come close. You'd think by now someone would have perfected the formula, but no, it was CIG that got all of it right first try out of the gate. That's some lightning in a bottle.

Almost hate to ask but I'm curious, got a link to any of those edited videos because I can't imagine what kind of combo of footage and editing could make anyone fall for metaverse anything. Seemed like a worse Tower United or VRChat, even Second Life seemed to have better graphics and functionality.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Khanstant posted:

Almost hate to ask but I'm curious, got a link to any of those edited videos because I can't imagine what kind of combo of footage and editing could make anyone fall for metaverse anything. Seemed like a worse Tower United or VRChat, even Second Life seemed to have better graphics and functionality.

There's no way I'm gonna find it now, but it was one of the usual YouTube videos made not necessarily by supporters, but those super soft-core gaming journalist wanna-be types that softball everything they do to avoid taking a stance and pissing people off. It was just some guy "flying" around and engaging in "combat." The major crime I see taken by these videos, and in large part by amateur and professional gaming journalists alike, is talking about the "game" in terms that imply it is a genuine game development project, and not a model-viewer grift. Even the critical pieces still talk about it like it's a work in progress, but running into trouble. I think this thread alone understands that the thing people are taking screenshots of isn't a "game" in any phase of development, pre-alpha or otherwise, but a carefully (and ineptly) constructed diorama of graphical elements placed relative to each other in such a way as to simulate the appearance of a game in screenshots and short clips. Anyone who's actually "played" it knows that, borrowing the old phrase, "You can't get there from here."

That, more than the video, is what's catching this guy off guard. He can't imagine that the screenshots, the money, and the time that has passed could mean anything other than a game is being made. We have all tried, repeatedly, to explain the Potemkin village that is Star Citizen, but he can't reconcile that reality with the dollar values involved. We've tried to bring up similar events, like Theranos and others, to explain the discrepancy, but each time it's an uphill battle. The root of the problem seems to be that he can't understand the size and scope of the scam and how long it's been in broad daylight - it HAS to be real, or it would have failed by now, right?

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Popete posted:

How much does this cost in USD though?

$0.00, because Everspace 2 is an actual game, not a commerce platform with a tech demo attached. :colbert:

SCLUL
Jan 11, 2019
Saw a thread on r/starcitizen of citizens completely roasting and making fun of "development".It was hilarious. Seems a lot are waking up from the bullshit dreams....

Found it! https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/12dd992/anyone_else_feels_that_the_sq42_reports_are_more/

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

They always come out of the woodwork when CIG shits the bed. Just watch, in a few weeks it'll be the regular whales posting sunsets again.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/yPvXDFW.mp4

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Snarr Itizen

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

"Last month the AI could follow you, but in elevators they kept walking in circles or whatever so we had to spend a month finding a fix for this!"

Didn't PEScat post a long rant about how the campaign was going to be in real time (implying no reloading) and also how does the multiple user profiles mesh with the "only one playthrough per purchase" narrative he's pushing? I wonder what he will post about this.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

BitBasher posted:

In space, how is a bomb and a mine not exactly the same thing?

For that matter how is there a bomb in space at all?

Each mine is $22 while bombs are $8.75. Completely different.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

pun pundit posted:

"Last month the AI could follow you, but in elevators they kept walking in circles or whatever so we had to spend a month finding a fix for this!"

Didn't PEScat post a long rant about how the campaign was going to be in real time (implying no reloading) and also how does the multiple user profiles mesh with the "only one playthrough per purchase" narrative he's pushing? I wonder what he will post about this.

I predict he will write 10 paragraphs of incoherent rambling that ignores and avoids the issue at hand, instead focusing on some other random comments TonyZ made a decade ago.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

DOMDOM posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSzUWl4r2rU

OK it was partially a fever dream. I was thinking of this from 10/09/21.

The first time they walked back server meshing was the '21 con so that may also have had it.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

i was just thinking about it, and started laughing

chris roberts paid untold millions to famous actors, because they were THE face of whatever was popular at the time they were brought into SQ42; for example Liam Cunningham, because at the time he was 'the game of thrones guy!'

now mind you these actors have done so much more before and after their appearances in SQ42 , but Chris was obviously going for that wow shock value from having someone in his video game that was hotly talked about in the entertainment circles, and the free marketing because they're already on movie posters and across the internet

now the only problem with this is by the time the game releases there will be a whole generation of people squinting at the screen going, who's that I think I recognize him? better check the credits!

in other words, massive fail chris

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

which reminds me of

Squadron 54 always gets a chuckle out of me.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Another hilarious thing is that Gary oldman will have retired from acting before SQ42 sees the light

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Lol, Spoony.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Star posted:

Another hilarious thing is that Gary oldman will have retired from acting before SQ42 sees the light

or even worst case, some of these actors will have died before it's released

my money will be on a month long sales extravaganza in honor of Commander Old Man or whatever the gently caress his name is supposed to be

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
So is the game out or what?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Paladinus posted:

Yes. Just not in the “…on the market” sense.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Paladinus posted:

Do you want a refund? Yes.

Do you want to write a review? No.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Important thought I had at 3 AM last night: does a Crobear parp in the woods, if no one's around to see it?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Bought Everspace 2 after seeing Wanderbots play it. Game is good, like a spaceship Borderlands without the stupid toilet jokes and such.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

TasogareNoKagi posted:

Important thought I had at 3 AM last night: does a Crobear parp in the woods, if no one's around to see it?

No, because the woods have a malformed leaf node definition and produce more leaves than the server can handle, thus crashing the system.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TasogareNoKagi posted:

If no one is around to pay him? no

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

DaaS (Dreams as a Service)

bergeoisie
Aug 29, 2004
I love how in the Squadron 42 update there's a repeated paragraph in the engine section and they still haven't fixed it and no one gives a gently caress.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

bergeoisie posted:

I love how in the Squadron 42 update there's a repeated paragraph in the engine section and they still haven't fixed it and no one gives a gently caress.

Store Citizer: No One Gives A gently caress

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Just read some boring poo poo about the PTU being broken and someone explained it's because 3.18.2 doesn't have the server fixes from 3.18.1. lol that CIG still doesnt understand semantic versioning.

ptricked
Jul 18, 2018

:dafuq: 8 years? But development only started 5 years ago!

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

ptricked posted:

:dafuq: 8 years? But development only started 5 years ago!

Ahh but you see those 5 years across 4 development studios is actually 20 years of development.

Which is why we're only in pre-alpha. Everyone knows AAA games need at least 50 years of development.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

Also lol @ the debug info in the top left saying "Server FPS: 5 Avg: 5.4"

Imagine trying to shoot someone in a game like CS or COD at a tick rate of 5.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Ah, nothing like phase-meat burritos. Shame that they're leaving the meat out like that though, I'm pretty sure those bodies should be hung for dry-aging.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Randalor posted:

Ah, nothing like phase-meat burritos. Shame that they're leaving the meat out like that though, I'm pretty sure those bodies should be hung for dry-aging.
Oh, they're well-hung. :wink:

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

akkristor posted:

Ahh but you see those 5 years across 4 development studios is actually 20 years of development.

Which is why we're only in pre-alpha. Everyone knows AAA games need at least 50 years of development.

Well you see Todd Howard said that Starfield is the game that he’s always wanted to make. So really it’s been in development since he was born 51 years ago.

But with Star Citizen, development hasn’t even started yet, and won’t until at least Server Meshing tier 0 is in the game, and Chris and Ortwin start at least another two dozen shell companies.

Bushboy2000
Jul 19, 2022

Mellow_ posted:

Also lol @ the debug info in the top left saying "Server FPS: 5 Avg: 5.4"

Imagine trying to shoot someone in a game like CS or COD at a tick rate of 5.

3 fps and lower is the usual rate, once you get up to 120 player limit, might get another hour then it 30k's

Bushboy2000
Jul 19, 2022
I imagine the player numbers are way down on all 3 current variations.

No use playing as nothing accumulates, just true blue testers.

CIG must be panicking a bit, probably not, still selling game packs and ships.

Would love to see the retention and refund rate

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Star Citizen: they still haven't fixed it and no one gives a gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose
Star Citizen: Alpha Fucks Given