Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Warbird posted:

Samsung washing machine a decade ago may have been good. I know their fridges have at least one massive class action lawsuit against them for just the most poo poo rear end ice maker you've ever encountered. No idea what the mashing machine situation is these days, but I'd imagine it isn't great.

I have an acquaintance that works in warranty claim management in corporate for a major big box retailer of appliances in the US. I was chatting him up regarding the state of appliances as I was in the market for a new refrigerator at the time and he shared the following info:

Most fridges have a "hit rate" of needing warranty work (manufacturer or extended via the store) of something like 3-5%. Samsung (fridges specifically) had something like 60%. So over half of the units sold were having things go wrong within the first 3 years or so.

IDK - anyone who buys a fridge with a ice maker should probably be in jail for something themselves.

Also because the US has poo poo for de facto consumer protections, all foreign manufacturers probably just ship poo poo there and good stuff elsewhere. I know it's a fact with e.g. tools.

Anyway, OP probably isn't washing dirty laundry in a refrigerator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Also because the US has poo poo for de facto consumer protections, all foreign manufacturers probably just ship poo poo there and good stuff elsewhere. I know it's a fact with e.g. tools.

this is correct

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Anyway, OP probably isn't washing dirty laundry in a refrigerator.

Lookit this entry level poser that isn’t freezing their jeans

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Warbird posted:

Literally every time I go outside.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Warbird posted:

YOU GOTTA LEARN HOW TO TAKE CARE OF SELVEDGE THESE ARE AN INVESTMENT

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

When I had a grizzled Eastern European repair guy in to fix our (LG) washer he said that he would never recommend that anyone buy LG or Samsung washers or fridges, based on how frequent and expensive the repairs are (and how long it takes to get parts) but that the dryers were a safer bet. He also said some things about our Thermidor stove that I suspect were swear words in another language because of how frustrating it was to disassemble, and that he would have to charge extra for them in the future because of how long it took. (He does fixed-price-plus-parts billing instead of hourly, which I think generally works better for everyone involved.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I guy I know had an uncle who had one Renault and they both swear all Renaults are all the shittiest cars in the world.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I'll throw in that if you're handy at fixing things, LG washers and dryers are not hard to work on and parts are cheap and plentiful. I've had to replace the heating element in my dryer and the water pump in the washer before.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Sorry to break up the white-goods chat, but I bought a dog.

Some idiot, somewhere, didn't want her, and she ended up in the local shelter. Lucky ol' me.

Me, to my daughter - it's your dog, and your responsibility. You will walk it, you will feed it, you will pick up its poop. It's not my dog, not my problem.

Also me -

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Baaaaaby!

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

Aramek posted:

Baaaaaby!

I know - she's a good-looking velveteen piglet.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Sweetest baby

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Warbird posted:

Samsung washing machine a decade ago may have been good. I know their fridges have at least one massive class action lawsuit against them for just the most poo poo rear end ice maker you've ever encountered.

This is an entertaining video that goes into some details about the current state of fridges. It at least points to how how you might mitigate some of the issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKJgYVhZ6-w

sterster has a new favorite as of 19:23 on Mar 6, 2023

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

I'm disturbed that these are available "Used - Very Good" from Amazon.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

sterster posted:

This is an entertaining video that goes into some details about the current state of fridges. It at least points to how how you might mitigate some of the issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKJgYVhZ6-w

That was very interesting, thank you for sharing.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Some new tires

For the new OEM wheels on my 2000 Civic Si

Since my car got accepted for an indoor featured spot in the “50 years of the Honda Civic” at Carlisle Import Nationals, I didn’t want to take it with the original-original 22 year old wheels that need to be refinished.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Beautiful dog reminds me of my pup

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Does anyone have a recommendation on some good grip tape for a manual coffee grinder? The silicone bracelet it came with isn't great.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

If it’s one of the Harios, I just held it in one hand while grinding with the other. It seemed like that silicone cup was more for keeping it from tipping over.

After a few years of that I moved on to using my power drill instead of the hand crank. Then after a few more years I bought an electric grinder :v:

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
A Kinu with a smooth metal body. I guess the fancier model has a thumb rest but this one comes with a silicone bracelet style band that doesn't help that much.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

NewFatMike posted:

If it’s one of the Harios, I just held it in one hand while grinding with the other. It seemed like that silicone cup was more for keeping it from tipping over.

After a few years of that I moved on to using my power drill instead of the hand crank. Then after a few more years I bought an electric grinder :v:

If you are not hand crushing your coffee beans on a metate, then passing the grounds through 10 progressively finer screens until you hit 230 microns, can you even call that swill coffee?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I got myself an aeropress and I just use Cafe Bustelo because the espresso grind works way better.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
2nd hand nintendo switch, so my kids can play dance dance revolution (or something like that a dancing game).

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I bought breakfast at Dunkin but had to rush back home because I forgot my wallet which was not a source of stress I particularly needed today

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Carbon Thief posted:

Thank you to the random goon who recommended Tom Bihn bags years ago. I've had the site bookmarked for ages and finally went ahead and ordered from them - they arrived today and the quality is fantastic.

I’m gonna get some of these bags in a bit :)

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I've been carrying my office around in a Tom Bihn bag for around 20 years and it rules.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Bought a new freezer. Our cabinet freezer gave up the ghost at the ripe age of 9.5 years. We emergency bought a 2nd had freezer for cheap. This one will probably last another 20 years. And it's already old. This one also can be placed outside and will have no problems being in a cold space that can get down to -30 C. Once we get a replacement for the kitchen this one will live outside in the shed as a secondary freezer, great to keep berries and jams and stuff.

The wonders of freon I guess?

I bet it uses more power than a modern freezer. I am gonna hook up a power monitor and see what it uses compared to a new one. Since this one can be outside in cold temps I don't think it will have to work super hard over the whole year so it might use a lot less power in the winter months.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

A Justinian follis. The emperor that got a plague named after him.

A roman as with Augustus' portrait. Minted during the reign of Tiberius.

Aztec axe money.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

withak posted:

I've been carrying my office around in a Tom Bihn bag for around 20 years and it rules.

I work in a bin bag with my wife.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Some stupid lightly used autocross wheels and tires.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
New company car bike finally arrived, bringing much smile to the kids

Tern GSD S00

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

New company car bike finally arrived, bringing much smile to the kids

Tern GSD S00

That is super rad.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

and, I guess, a couple of VIC-20 computers too.

e: Today I bought a box of Jim-flavoured Jaffas (while picking up a VIC-20 from the shop it was delivered to) and I just ate them all because they were so good :negative:

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 17:04 on Mar 29, 2023

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Just bought 10kg of 1st/2nd flush Darjeeling at a bankruptcy-auction. If I can't flip it on marketplace I'll at least be all set tea-wise for the next decade.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Picked up this small death machine for a song:

Onewheel Pint with 300ish miles. Paid $400 (not pictured: wrist guards, a new helmet, and an armored flannel)

And this larger death machine, also for a good deal, but not quite as good:

2023 Tacoma SR5 for $39k

They go pretty well together. Not gonna lie.

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you

App13 posted:

Picked up this small death machine for a song:

Onewheel Pint with 300ish miles. Paid $400 (not pictured: wrist guards, a new helmet, and an armored flannel)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3990963

Come join us other goons floating around and hurting ourselves.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

shipwrek posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3990963

Come join us other goons floating around and hurting ourselves.

gently caress yeah, good looks

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
After getting some skinny dipped almonds and almost ruining my white sofa broke down and bought these:

And finally bought a new chair since it seems I will be working from home going forward:

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Had to get Airplane! after Netflix took it down while I was midway through rewatching it :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Taco Bell has a box you can order on the app. Cheesy Gordita crunch, beefy 5 later burrito, nachos and a Baja blast for 5 bucks.

I bought that recently.