Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Lost was what 7 seasons? They got off the island and then returned to it.

Season 4 of Yellowjackets, the adult survivors all fly a plane back into the forest and get lost until the end of season 5.

Oh please god no. Don’t let this happen.

NAT WE HAVE TO GO BACK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Lost also had time travel. You gotta keep those teens on the show somehow.

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.
Questions get answered pretty fast on yellowjackets. Other than hanging plot points like "where's javi" the overarching questions are: "how do you go from a planecrash to ritual cannibalism" & "evil spirit or just ladies of the flies?" Which are questions that the show as a whole is trying to examine.

I will never tire of Juliette Lewis bobbling around like a cat on :catdrugs: or of Shauna outcreepying Misty.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Yeah I really don't know how they go for 5 seasons. I thought that by the end of this season they might be rescued/escape/whatever, but it might just be that we end up with the antler queen poo poo in full force. So maybe this is the "winter" season, then we get a "spring" season, a summer season where they're rescued, and then a final season where they readjust to the world?

But that's only the past stuff. I have no idea how they stretch out the adult storylines to go that far. There's just not enough stakes in the story.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
lol the Coach Ben flashbacks. Come onnnnnnnn.

I know it was more derivative of L O S T, but I miss when the show had slightly more character focus every episode instead of pouring out tiny bits of plot from nine or ten different plot buckets* basically at random.

Oh god the completely random car hijacking. A cult abduction, multiple suspicious deaths, a cannibalistic soccer team and now people are randomly being carjacked? What the gently caress is this town?

*The four adult plots (Taissa, Nat, Misty, Shauna's family) plus Coach Ben's adventures in dreamland, Taissa's brain-nonsense, Lottie's brain-nonsense, Misty's nonsense-nonsense, the baby drama, the ballad of Nat and Travis, etc. etc. etc.

EvilHawk posted:

Yeah I really don't know how they go for 5 seasons. I thought that by the end of this season they might be rescued/escape/whatever, but it might just be that we end up with the antler queen poo poo in full force. So maybe this is the "winter" season, then we get a "spring" season, a summer season where they're rescued, and then a final season where they readjust to the world?

But that's only the past stuff. I have no idea how they stretch out the adult storylines to go that far. There's just not enough stakes in the story.

IIRC they spent two winters in the woods. So we could be in for another summer season and then the fourth season could be a second winter.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Open Source Idiom posted:

I know it was more derivative of L O S T, but

After reading your post I was thinking about how on LOST if a new character was introduced to the show, it was a BIG loving deal. Oh poo poo, who’s this person? What’s their deal, where did they even come from, the mere fact that they exist recontextualizes everything we thought we knew about the plot and show universe, etc.

In this show we get a bunch of new survivors that just randomly appear between seasons that were apparently there the whole time and we go “huh uhhh okay?” lol.

E: they were stranded for 19 months yeah

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I've just binged season 1 and I'm now up to date on season 2.

I can't tell if they've recast some of the teens or if they just added more survivors.

Also, I was there during the L O S T threads and weekly theory crafting. It's true - it hosed us up.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

SpaceAceJase posted:

I can't tell if they've recast some of the teens or if they just added more survivors.

It's both.

There's one recast, one new, and one extra/suuuuper minor character from last season that they're suddenly giving lines to.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Escobarbarian posted:

Big “this show is going to be slow as poo poo forever” episode

This. When will scriptwriters learn that you need to make things happen and push the plot on. Episode 3 of a series shouldn’t just be a bunch of filler, b-plots and comic relief

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Escobarbarian posted:

Big “this show is going to be slow as poo poo forever” episode

Yeah, I didn't finish the episode. Might try to come back to it later. Season 1 was fun but season 2 feels like nothing is moving forward so far.

I'm hoping the new season of From will give me my "mystery" fix.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I seem to recall the show runners saying they had enough plot for two-three seasons and the studio wanted five, so there’s going to be some padding.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I feel like I live in crazy world because season 2 has been outstanding so far IMO.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Yeah I've been really enjoying it! It's never gonna be S tier television but it's brilliant fun, and I think the cast (especially, possibly even specifically the teen cast) are really giving it a lot of effort.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 60 minutes!

Hakkesshu posted:

I feel like I live in crazy world because season 2 has been outstanding so far IMO.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 60 minutes!
i am a simple viewer, i hear veruca salt playing during the episode and i rate it 5 stars

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

angerbeet posted:

I seem to recall the show runners saying they had enough plot for two-three seasons and the studio wanted five, so there’s going to be some padding.

They pitched it as a five-season thing but it's Showtime so they'll probably try to push it to nine.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Lol we're literally one episode out from a cannibal feast come on people.

My guess is the girls merk Coach Ben at the end of the season and then S3/Spring is them dealing with them realising they want to eat people just for the hell of it rather than just for suvival

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
This show really is my final test for Showtime. I've been burned literally every time I've given one of their shows a chance. They've never really produced a great show but even the pretty good ones go on for too long that it makes you wonder why you started watching in the first place. Twin Peaks: The Return being the one exception.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

I feel like nearly every complaint comes with a lost comparison that falls totally flat with me cuz I haven’t seen an episode of it after 15 years of constant bitching.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Add me to the list of people who like this season. I guess just watching it as 45 minutes of distraction every week, it delivers. I’m content to go along with the ride, it hasn’t been boring yet.

I do agree that the adult Tai storyline is the weak link, but if they keep going into the weirder parts headlong like the hints this week then it could be worth it. And I actually am finding myself really invested in the Jeff storyline this season of wondering how he chose to become a boring adult and stop being fun. Maybe that says too much about me.

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde

It's both.

There's one recast, one new, and one extra/suuuuper minor character from last season that they're suddenly giving lines to.

Which girl was recast? I noticed new girl(s)? but thought the main cast was the same.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

fullroundaction posted:

After reading your post I was thinking about how on LOST if a new character was introduced to the show, it was a BIG loving deal. Oh poo poo, who’s this person? What’s their deal, where did they even come from, the mere fact that they exist recontextualizes everything we thought we knew about the plot and show universe, etc.

In this show we get a bunch of new survivors that just randomly appear between seasons that were apparently there the whole time and we go “huh uhhh okay?” lol.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Man they are really foreshadowing killing the baby huh

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s not so much that it’s actively bad as that there’s clearly a much better version of the show struggling to break free, one that doesn’t waste time with filler episodes and the like. But it’s on Showtime who live by the rule of :regd08: so I don’t have much hope it’ll ever become that version of the show.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I agree with the above. And like, people can have different opinions on things.

My hope was more of a season 1 pace. It's not that I dislike season 2. But season 1 moved at a very good pace and there isn't a similar consistency this time around. Season 1, besides introducing all the main characters by this point, had multiple significant moments in 3 episodes. I mean, season 1 had 10 episodes where they managed to introduce and then dispose, poignantly, of several main characters. Adult Travis, Laura Lee, Adam, Jackie, Jessica Roberts, Javi die or disappear, Van is taken for dead and comes back...

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

fullroundaction posted:

If you go back and watch the first season before this one (like I just did) it's REALLY noticeable how there's a bunch of extra characters in the background who we just don't hear from. At All. They're totally there, active, participants in everything, but we don't hear them say anything. So the "new" characters this season being some of those background kids is a lot less jarring.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

The main problem with the show is that the high point is still the first episode. Other parts of season one were also great and I’m enjoying season two for the most part. But there still hasn’t been an episode that’s on the same level or better than the first one, which becomes more of an issue the longer the show goes on. That’s why five seasons is a little concerning to me; the adult storylines are, in general, the less interesting ones and the boring plots from season one (adult Tai) are still boring in season two. I hope they majorly shake things up with the adult characters because I’m struggling to imagine how this is going to stay engaging for another 3.5 seasons at this point.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Well it’s not like anyone on this show is going to be buried alive after being bitten by clown-faced hobo spiders or whatever that terrible plot line was. Not buried alive in general, really.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Rarity posted:

Lol we're literally one episode out from a cannibal feast come on people.

My guess is the girls merk Coach Ben at the end of the season and then S3/Spring is them dealing with them realising they want to eat people just for the hell of it rather than just for suvival

My guess is Ben isn't murdered outright but starves because he's completely shut down mentally, and it's a much shorter jump for the team to go, "well we've already eaten one body so..." I do think we get the first explicit murder of someone by the end of the season though (probably gonna be that girl Misty's befriending with something like the Lottie cult getting increasingly annoyed by her and Misty cranking that poo poo to 11 and either suggesting murder or doing the deed herself).

Moltke
May 13, 2009
mark me down as enjoying the show. didn't watch lost and don't have any problems with any of the plots or characters. mystery is building towards the supernatural nicely.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Charlotte's retreat is at the same lake from season one, yeah?

THIS_IS_FINE posted:

Which girl was recast? I noticed new girl(s)? but thought the main cast was the same.

Akilah. Played by Keeya King in the first season, and Nia Sondaya now. She was in the most recent episode talking about her sister's brother.

Crystal, Misty's friend, is completely new.

And Gen, the growling girl from Coach's vision, was Yellowjacket #1 all last season (so basically a glorified extra).

angerbeet posted:

Well it’s not like anyone on this show is going to be buried alive after being bitten by clown-faced hobo spiders or whatever that terrible plot line was. Not buried alive in general, really.

This episode owned. Yeah, it was the writers just throwing a pair of characters away because they/the network decided they didn't want them anymore, but it was well structured and funny.

Also someone's absolutely getting buried in the woods. Charlotte's constantly got little memories and flashbacks poking through her treatment; her woods burial "therapy" is, IMO, a recreation of something that happened when she was trapped in the mountains years ago.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Nikki and Paulo were the worst, actually.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

angerbeet posted:

Nikki and Paulo were the worst, actually.

RAZZLE DAZZLE

high kicks u

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.
Man, :lost: really caused some lasting damage

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

UltraShame posted:

Man, :lost: really caused some lasting damage

It was my Nam

Poopbutt
Aug 15, 2022
I think some people may be wanting a different show to the one that actually exists. This isn't Breaking Bad, it's Weeds. This isn't prestige, it's pulp. The target audience of this show is all the Shauna's of the world. Middle age moms daydreaming about having dark secrets, affairs with sexy artists and feeling dangerous and powerful. And that's a good thing.

It's schlock, and I'm loving it. Only problem with schlock is it can easily go from "fun to watch" to "fun to watch to make fun of". Think about how quickly Weeds or Dexter nosedived. But I'm still in for the ride. I hope this show is just five seasons of fun, but I can also imagine a scenario where I am hatewatching Season 5 Episode 4 (the episode where it is revealed that Jackie had an unmentioned twin sister pulling the strings the whole time) along with the thread and still enjoying myself.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

lol yeah thats where my mind went as well

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Most television is genre trash/pulp tbh, even Breaking Bad. Just look at Tuco or Tuco's uncle, or so so much about the villains generally. They're straight out of pulpy villain nonsense.

Similarly, Breaking Bad is just as much a fantasy for middle aged dudes as this show is a fantasy for teenaged and middle aged women.

It's also, frequently, a show that made an exercise of genre. It has multiple trapped with a killer episodes, a riff on a trapped in a box ep, a heist episode or two -- genre exercises are a classic staple of pulp television.

It's pulp. Very well constructed pulp, but I think it's undeniably that.

But even ignoring that, you can construct genre trash/pulp well, and you can construct it poorly, and tbh I think it's fine to criticise Yellowjackets for being poorly constructed.

Poopbutt
Aug 15, 2022

Most television is genre trash/pulp tbh, even Breaking Bad. Just look at Tuco or Tuco's uncle, or so so much about the villains generally. They're straight out of pulpy villain nonsense.

Similarly, Breaking Bad is just as much a fantasy for middle aged dudes as this show is a fantasy for teenaged and middle aged women.

It's also, frequently, a show that made an exercise of genre. It has multiple trapped with a killer episodes, a riff on a trapped in a box ep, a heist episode or two -- genre exercises are a classic staple of pulp television.

It's pulp. Very well constructed pulp, but I think it's undeniably that.

But even ignoring that, you can construct genre trash/pulp well, and you can construct it poorly, and tbh I think it's fine to criticise Yellowjackets for being poorly constructed.
I agree with everything you have just said, except I personally believe Breaking Bad was so well constructed that it moved pulp and even television as an artform forward. I have been criticizing the writing on Yellowjackets for a while, It's just that I am still enjoying it as a whole. "Girls Soccer Team Cannibal Cult" is such a great premise that I am looking forward to seeing if they pull it off or more likely crash and burn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Charlotte's retreat is at the same lake from season one, yeah?

That was my theory. In the latest episode they mentioned that some of the messages were being sent from New York/New Jersey (can't remember which) though, which made me doubt it, but it could be a misdirect.

It's a big lake in a very wooded area miles from anywhere... so it could be.