Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
Dragons Den, did all five of them just invest in Care Bears?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladd
Aug 14, 2004

Annabel Pee posted:

I always liked him, in my head as a kid he already looked like an old man like twenty years ago so I'm surprised he was so young. I feel like he was ahead of his time, being a gay drag queen but also being allowed to present mainstream talk shows for so long.

I went to see Stewart Lee Basic Lee just shorty after he passed. Stewart Lee gave a good antidote about Paul O'Grady.

In the early 90s one of his gigs in London was raided by a bunch of police officers who were all wearing plastic gloves (due to the AIDS scare), and Paul O'Grady was like "look boys, the police are here to help us with the washing up".

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Been watching Adam & Joe from 4oD recently, good tea-time viewing. I didn't see it first time round, so I'm not nostalgic for the show exactly. But it does make me nostalgic for that type of show, bursting at the seams with hand-crafted goodness. Where has this kind of show gone? Well, the answer might be youtube, and Eggs TV might be exhibit A:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE6e2Ia7pfE

(features a cameo by Stewart Lee so it's on topic)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Heavy_D posted:

Been watching Adam & Joe from 4oD recently, good tea-time viewing.

Make sure you watch the Fourmative Years too, it’s a really fun look at the history of C4 that A&J did in the late 90s.

Also Adam and Joe Go Tokyo was a fun watch too if that’s still around anywhere.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I love Adam & Joe. I actually never was particularly into the A&H Show, I got into them when they were on XFM and then particularly during their stint on 6 Music, but their good vibes radio style basically set my gold standard for how I wish audio content would be. Adam's podcast is good although I'm super out of date with it.

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOllnlhFgg8

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwDka-OqwtI

Still listen to this one from A&J, always gets me happy.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
https://youtu.be/H8hAMhLoQUc

I think of this one often.
e: the Buxton one

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010
Are we posting Adam 7 Joe bits? Ok then:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssq9JY166d0

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://youtu.be/45NOP1OA-EQ

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Squibsy posted:

I love Adam & Joe. I actually never was particularly into the A&H Show, I got into them when they were on XFM and then particularly during their stint on 6 Music, but their good vibes radio style basically set my gold standard for how I wish audio content would be. Adam's podcast is good although I'm super out of date with it.

The BBC radio shows were fantastic. It seems like that was a time when a lot of comedy was very "edgy" and it was the total opposite. They somehow managed to be lighthearted and funny without veering into wacky.

Mickolution fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 8, 2023

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Bit obvious this one but while we're posting Adam/Joe stuff https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taUqt_E0aOs

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Just got back from the garth marenghi live show in London. It was extremely funny, and you should go if you can.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

The Perfect Element posted:

Just got back from the garth marenghi live show in London. It was extremely funny, and you should go if you can.

Jammy bastard.
I hope there is a DVD version of it.
Any of the Darkplace cast in it?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Oh my friend also went to that show last night. She showed me a picture of a signed copy of the book which he'd signed 'Garth Marenghi' and underneath 'Dreamweaver'

Apparently he stayed in character for the whole, long queue

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Fatty posted:

Dragons Den, did all five of them just invest in Care Bears?

Peter Jones has really mellowed out over the years - in the early series he used to berate people if they didn't dress smart enough.

Overall though the show has become pretty dull. If it wasn't for Touker being such a comically massive piece of poo poo I probably wouldn't watch it

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

I saw this a few weeks ago too, on Valentine's Day which was fitting given the romantic subject matter. Good show and I'm enjoying the book too, once it gets past the typewriter stuff that he read out in the show.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

This is without a doubt the funniest thing that A&J did (and I was a huge fan of both A&J and The Crystal Maze)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8McKX8t1BA

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

happyhippy posted:

Jammy bastard.
I hope there is a DVD version of it.
Any of the Darkplace cast in it?

Nope, just a one man show. Two 45 minute sets with a fifteen minute interval.

He must be absolutely cleaning up, the tour is massive and he's selling out everywhere. You'd imagine if he wanted to do another TV show then Channel 4 (or Netflix) would throw loads of money at him.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

ITV's new Christie adaptation (written and directed by Hugh Laurie?) Why Didn't They Ask Evans features the song Midnight, the Stars, and You pretty prominently in the 2 episodes I've watched. I know that song from the end of The Shining, which made me look at the overflowing blood in the credits differently. I'm watching for the shot where Jack is shot from below as he tries to open a door.
Other than that, it's an acceptable contribution, but for each artsy shot there's 9 very workmanlike ones.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I thought that sounded familiar, it was released in Britbox about a year ago. I guess they had a 12 month exclusivity.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

I thought that sounded familiar, it was released in Britbox about a year ago. I guess they had a 12 month exclusivity.

Couple of things off Britbox just hit terrestrial TV, the other one is Magpie Murders based on the book of the same name by Anthony Horowitz. A very loving homage to 1950s Christie-style detective novels starring Lesley Manville in very nice outfits.

Got a fun puzzlebox plot, shifting between Lesley trying to solve a murder and find a the last chapter of an unfinished novel, and the murder plot within said missing novel. The same actors play characters in both the modern age and the 1950s book, it's pretty charming, in a lightweight sort of way.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
It's not a light watch but the Beeb have a Stacey Dooley doc out following some Ukrainian being trained in the UK. Everyone should watch it.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001kz0p/stacey-dooley-ready-for-war

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Nope, just a one man show. Two 45 minute sets with a fifteen minute interval.

He must be absolutely cleaning up, the tour is massive and he's selling out everywhere. You'd imagine if he wanted to do another TV show then Channel 4 (or Netflix) would throw loads of money at him.

Na there's a big gap between "you can get people who are superfans to fill medium sized venues" and "it's worth making a TV show"
Which is a shame, but yea

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Magpie Murders was pretty good, second that recommendation.

Awful CGI near the end made me and the wife actually laugh out loud, but other than that, yeah - enjoyed it.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

The final shot of ...Evans had someone opening an umbrella as SFX of a thunderstorm breaking played over what persistently remained a glorious summer's day. You couldn't get a rain machine? Or a garden hose?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

C4's next reality show idea is Danny Dyer blinding people and laughing about it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Mr. Squishy posted:

C4's next reality show idea is Danny Dyer blinding people and laughing about it.

Ah, I haven’t thought about TVGoHome in years.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

The_Doctor posted:

Ah, I haven’t thought about TVGoHome in years.

Truly prophetic

Can't believe I lost my physical book copy of the archive...

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

drat, I need to get home to watch oval office.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

crispix posted:

Touker being such a comically massive piece of poo poo I probably wouldn't watch it

That guy gives me extremely strong 'owns multiple sweatshops in South East Asia and has on several occasions enlisted the help of some very scary dudes to deal with union leaders' type vibes

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

ThomasPaine posted:

That guy gives me extremely strong 'owns multiple sweatshops in South East Asia and has on several occasions enlisted the help of some very scary dudes to deal with union leaders' type vibes

Vibes? Like he actually says he does this
He's open and horrible about it

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

EL BROMANCE posted:

drat, I need to get home to watch oval office.

In case you don't know, oval office was made into Nathan Barley.

Edit: gently caress, all of TV Go Home is on YouTube, too! Not seen it since it came out, but I remember enjoying it. I've watched Inspector Bumhat on YouTube so many times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J8lzqZ929g

Mickolution fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 14, 2023

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I thought I'd check out Magpie Moiders and loaded up ITV X only to find it was restricted to Premium. Foiled I went to Iplayer to watch Masterchef instead, only to see MM for free over there. What a world, what a world...

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
There seems to be another Garth Marenghi book/tour coming up in the autumn...

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Taear posted:

Vibes? Like he actually says he does this
He's open and horrible about it

Has he? loving hell lol. I don't exactly keep up with the deep lore of the dragon's den cast. Got a link?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

ThomasPaine posted:

Has he? loving hell lol. I don't exactly keep up with the deep lore of the dragon's den cast. Got a link?

Every time someone comes on to say they make clothes he talks about it
He sometimes pitches it as "Well, this is how much it SHOULD cost so you have to make it in the far east"

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Touker has strong musk vibes (or a Musk musk), a rich successful dude who is desperate for social validation, but everyone thinks is just a weird dickhead.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mickolution posted:

In case you don't know, oval office was made into Nathan Barley.

Yeah I always enjoy thinking back about how the critics at the time considered it out of date, but that true wave of hipsterdom hadn’t really spread to the rest of the country so it felt before it’s time.

I can’t think about the scene with the cat and the scissors without laughing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Geek Pie.