Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Stars in the West, please just not Boston in the East.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Today I am rooting for The Penguins, the Capitals, and (*checks notes*) the...Flyers?

Interesting. Let's go Philly. No dogshit garbage play today, thanks.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Cross posting from the Masters thread; source close to the family

Shrapnig posted:

There's an anecdote out there about Wayne saying that they were afraid to leave the kids alone with just DJ and Paulina because they were collectively that dumb.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

tinstaach posted:

The problem is this:

Connor McDavid, a player making a case to be considered in the top 5 of all time, is having the best year of his career and is worth about 7 extra wins. Expecting Bedard to provide that value right away is optimistic to the point of being insane, but even if he did, an extra 14 points for one of these lovely teams still has them looking up at the mushy middle.

And maybe you could use a player like that to springboard you into spending more on theoretically better players, but a) maybe the ownership doesn't even want to do that, hi Arizona, and b) that's no guarantee of success either, the fact that they're at the bottom of the standings in the first place points to some failure of management

Not just one single piece, but the Oilers finished 28th with 62 points in 14-15, got McDavid in the 2015 draft, lost him to injury in 15-16, and then finished 8th in the league with 103 points

Tronno finished 30th with 69 points in 15-16, got Matthews in the 2016 draft, and finished 14th with 95 points the next year and 7th with 105 points the year after that.

These players have the immediate effect of winning more games, but also make the team a desirable place to sign. You get superstars like Milan Lucic who specifically want to play on a team with that player.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Powershift posted:

You get superstars like Milan Lucic who specifically want to play on a team with that player.

Is that a good thing?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Is that a good thing?

They were able to saddle their regional rival with him so it all worked out.

Maybe the solution for tanking for draft picks is a loser-playoff for draft spot.

Do a single elimination tournament. to determine the order of the bottom 16.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/thebrattpack63/status/1644729842309447680

Who's gonna tell him?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
that someone posted a parody tweet?

I wish Luke or Jack would say something like that though, they are like Darryl Sutter levels of obtuse in interviews without any of the smarmy charm

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 8, 2023

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
When you think about it, it's kinda weird that NHL teams just burn a year of player control just so they can play in 2-3 meaningless games while MLB teams jump through insane hoops to preserve another year.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The argument I've seen made is that it may actually save you money in the long run as some players won't break out in the two year ELC.

And then with some players it's a basically a contract bonus to get them to sign, particularly NCAA/Euro guys who are at risk of not signing at all (of course this isn't the case with Luke).

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

mcmagic posted:

When you think about it, it's kinda weird that NHL teams just burn a year of player control just so they can play in 2-3 meaningless games while MLB teams jump through insane hoops to preserve another year.

They don't because of the Entry Level Slide.

quote:

What is an Entry Level Slide?
If a player who is signed to an entry-level contract and is 18 or 19 years of age (as of September 15 of the signing year), does not play in a minimum of 10 NHL games (including both regular season and playoffs; AHL games do not count), their contract is considered to ‘slide’, or extend, by one year. For example, if a player signed an ELC for three seasons from 2015-16 to 2017-2018, and their contract slides, their contract is now effective from 2016-17 to 2018-19. An exception to this rule is that if the player is 19 on September 15 of the first year of their contract, and turns 20 between September 16 and December 31, their contract does not slide.

Players who sign at 18 years old are eligible to have their contracted extended for 2 seasons. This extension does not apply if the player turns 20 between September 16 and December 31 in his signing year. Signing bonuses do not slide, and are paid to the player regardless of a slide, this causes the annual average of the players contract to change, and therefore the cap hit decreases for this player.

Luke Hughes barely squeaks in, turning 20 on September 9th.

Just as an example, Here's Yamamoto who played 9 games in 2017-2018

Powershift fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 8, 2023

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Yeah the hope for a prospect as good as Hughes is you burn a year of the ELC in a couple games at the end of the season giving him an idea of what it’s like playing at the highest level. Then he has a good rookie season and you cross your fingers he has a dumbass agent and wants to extend for 8 years before he breaks out in the final year like his big bro did

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Man that bruins goal differential is unseen since the salary cap began. What a team

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Man that bruins goal differential is unseen since the salary cap began. What a team

its almost as unfathomable as how bad the Ducks goal differential is

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
That Carolina loss to Buffalo makes the Bruins game tonight reasonably important for the Devils. A win puts them ahead of the Canes (Carolina would still have a game in hand) by one point. The Devils also have two more ROW so all they need to do is tie Carolina to win the division.

It's also bad for Florida and good for Pittsburgh/the Islanders as it means Carolina may need to get points in that last game of the season vs. the Panthers to secure 1st.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 8, 2023

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The Sabres survive another day. Look at these absolutely insane plays that led to goals:

https://twitter.com/buffalosabres/status/1644743670602579969?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

https://twitter.com/buffalosabres/status/1644763831451754506?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

https://twitter.com/buffalosabres/status/1644771859773239298?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Powershift posted:

Not just one single piece, but the Oilers finished 28th with 62 points in 14-15, got McDavid in the 2015 draft, lost him to injury in 15-16, and then finished 8th in the league with 103 points

Tronno finished 30th with 69 points in 15-16, got Matthews in the 2016 draft, and finished 14th with 95 points the next year and 7th with 105 points the year after that.

These players have the immediate effect of winning more games, but also make the team a desirable place to sign. You get superstars like Milan Lucic who specifically want to play on a team with that player.

The Oilers already had Hall, Nuge, Draisaitl, Eberle and Klefbom. They weren't ranking they were just poorly run and coached.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
no one should be rooting for the Devils. they have an insanely good cap structure, tons of young talent at all positions, what seems like a pretty good GM/front office staff, and a very forward thinking owner who embraces the poo poo out of analytics.

they will most likely be a dynasty very soon and win multiple cups, and then you all will be as annoyed by them as people were by Pittsburgh, Chicago, LA, Detroit, Tampa, and some of the other perennial contenders of recent years.

now compare that to the big beautiful Rangers who have a bizarre cap structure, some young talent that was projected high but is being turned into Jed Ortmeyer and Tanner Glass by Jed Ortmeyer and Tanner Glass, an all time moron owner, and a GM that either makes really good deals or does Buchnevich-for-Blais. we are likely to be very boom and bust and make space for other teams.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

None of the devils have ever concussed my team's captain though so that's a knock against the rangers

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Lets go Caps/Flyers

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

no one should be rooting for the Devils. they have an insanely good cap structure, tons of young talent at all positions, what seems like a pretty good GM/front office staff, and a very forward thinking owner who embraces the poo poo out of analytics.

they will most likely be a dynasty very soon and win multiple cups, and then you all will be as annoyed by them as people were by Pittsburgh, Chicago, LA, Detroit, Tampa, and some of the other perennial contenders of recent years.

now compare that to the big beautiful Rangers who have a bizarre cap structure, some young talent that was projected high but is being turned into Jed Ortmeyer and Tanner Glass by Jed Ortmeyer and Tanner Glass, an all time moron owner, and a GM that either makes really good deals or does Buchnevich-for-Blais. we are likely to be very boom and bust and make space for other teams.

The rangers have the dirtiest player in the NHL, Jim Dolan and ranger fans. One of the 3 is enough to root for the devils.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I'm still mad at the devils being so loving boring with trap hockey

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Powershift posted:

The 16 Leafs were not just Matthews, they had simultaneous rookie seasons from Marner, Nylander, Hyman and Connor Brown.

Powershift posted:

Tavares signing for the post-Auston/Willy/Mitch Leafs when Stamkos wouldn't give them the time of day the year before is a prime example.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Everyone loves the young underdog teams. Until they’re successful.

The best thing you can do is hope that people love the devils forever.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
It would be nice if Calgary could get their act together and win tonight.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

mcmagic posted:

The rangers have the dirtiest player in the NHL, Jim Dolan and ranger fans. One of the 3 is enough to root for the devils.

i will never agree with mcmagic on anything related to football but he is 100% correct about the rangers, who suck rear end

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

pseudodragon posted:

The 16 Leafs were not just Matthews, they had simultaneous rookie seasons from Marner, Nylander, Hyman and Connor Brown.

Never heard of those other guys, what commercials are they in?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Just lol if you don't have enough hate in your heart to spare for both the Devils and Rangers.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Can’t wait for the posts when Trouba knocks out Hughes with a legal hit in game 3.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Dirtiest player in the NHL :laffo:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Oh my god Devils/Rangers is going to be so fun. I am really looking forward to the playoffs this year. It could elicit some of the finest posting we've ever seen.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Very interested to see an older Meier back in the playoffs. He's been running guys a bit lately and has some of that Euro shithead in his game, hoping he gets mad and runs Fox or something.

ThinkTank posted:

Oh my god Devils/Rangers is going to be so fun. I am really looking forward to the playoffs this year.

It might not happen (at least not in round one) after that Canes loss today. They've still got Florida left who will be playing for their playoffs. Really depends on if the Devils beat Boston tonight though I suppose.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 8, 2023

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

WeaponX posted:

Dirtiest player in the NHL :laffo:

You got a dude (who sucks at actual hockey) going out there trying to give out concussions and injure star players. What would you like me to call it?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Smart

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
It's much better if you're good at hockey and also give out concussions.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

mcmagic posted:

You got a dude (who sucks at actual hockey) going out there trying to give out concussions and injure star players. What would you like me to call it?

Trouba throws big, clean, cornfeed hits I’m sorry you can’t handle that but I’m sure you guys will quote the rulebook at me multiple times this post-season!

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

We're having pre-emptive dirty hit discussions. This series has to happen.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

ThinkTank posted:

Oh my god Devils/Rangers is going to be so fun. I am really looking forward to the playoffs this year. It could elicit some of the finest posting we've ever seen.

Yep. It's going to be insane.

And @Tbone it's gonna be Rangers Devils just start preparing now. I'm doing finger stretches every day.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Matt Zerella posted:

Yep. It's going to be insane.

And @Tbone it's gonna be Rangers Devils just start preparing now. I'm doing finger stretches every day.

You think? If the Devils beat Boston tonight I almost favor them to win the division with the remaining schedules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

T-Bone posted:

You think? If the Devils beat Boston tonight I almost favor them to win the division with the remaining schedules.

I just keep looking at the game in hand. It's locked in baby.