Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
Asked an image generator to design a Gold Wing in racing livery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
So with people AI has trouble getting hands right, and with bikes it's seats and axles?

EDIT: Actually the whole geometry of the tank into the seat looks off, like the AI can't figure out from the viewing angle what's going on with that curvature.

EDIT 2:

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 7, 2023

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

bizwank posted:

He claims the bike is actually the perfect bike for a “relaxing ride,”
That fits considering the “engine as an un-stressed member” frame design :haw:

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
https://i.imgur.com/J8bdnm0.mp4

sound on

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

LimaBiker posted:

Already the case for the 45km/h category in the Netherlands. They need the same type of number plate and insurance a moped needs. Because they go at moped speeds, they have to follow moped rules, which includes not being allowed on cycle paths in many places within city limits where the maximum speed is 50km/h or less. After all, your speed is closer to that of cars than the speed of normal cyclists.

The 25km/h category does not, but since this year you do need a helmet for those. Too many old people were getting into accidents on them - several times as often as on normal bicycles.

We technically have regulations for this stuff in the UK too, but it doesn't matter cause there's no cops lol

Cheap hub motors are easy enough to hack to take your bicycle over 30mph, and without close inspection that's not a mod anyone's going to spot unless you get seen riding that fast.

Then there's extra special lunacy like this:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
On the less mad end of the scale, I spotted one of these yesterday:

Top speed 25kph, straight up an electric motocompo (albeit far less stylish imo). Completely illegal! But lol who gives a poo poo, you can get one for under £400 and the cops probably aren't gonna chase you*

*do not test in front of metropolitan police and/or while black

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I see things like that (either with or without some vestigial pedals to make it a bicycle instead of a moped) on the regular around high schools here.

As far as i know, those cheap ones are pretty bad, quality wise. It's not unusual to have to replace those every couple of years.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

a guy i know had one of those to ride across campus from the parking lot to his workplace. it was fine for that. they're more toys than anything else though. i don't think they even go as fast as a lime scooter.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
E-bikes are apparently blowing up in popularity among the more lenient Amish folks my Dad spends most of his time hanging out with.

They still need them to look and work like bicycles, from what he’s told me. They charge them in their barns, which are allowed to have electricity because of the animals and work they need to do.

First time he saw it, it was a woman booking it uphill so fast he thought she was superhuman until he saw the battery pack. Now he says there are roving bands of Amish children at auctions riding them around and terrorizing their elders.

So they’re clearly not all bad.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

CL500 reviews dropped last week i guess. Oh man they are going to sell a gazillion. Looks great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_zxHowSN8Y

"you have to work the gearbox and rev it hard to overtake"

JFC motorcycle journalism :lol:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

there's no fuckin way that's that guy's real voice.

rad bike though.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Ok delayed a week or so, but I took some pics of our local dealerships classic stuff I wanted to share

All of these are the shops own, owned by the one salesman thats been there years. The owner who is my aunts dad has a few but mainly has snowmobiles. Its a small shop but seeing the history and then the race bikes for the speedway was interesting for sure.

Then just a couple beautiful bikes in for service that I honestly would be salivating for if I had room. I love the adventure touring bike way more then I expected.

Sorry if its spammy (or pic quality is not that great definitely need a new phone) but its nice seeing the history and the difference from when they opened to now bike wise. All of them still are drivable and run according to the owner and besides being dusty are in pretty decent shape. And all of them have some miles for sure.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Hell yeah, stand back for Exciteeerrr

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Is that all the stuff upstairs at Lanphere's?

Edit: never mind, you said small shop lol

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 11, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I got to work on this today:

It is my favorite Honda I reckon. It's from their golden age of build quality and design, but it is also one of the least Honda-like Hondas to ride.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

It is my favorite Honda I reckon. It's from their golden age of build quality and design, but it is also one of the least Honda-like Hondas to ride.

What a beaut! I always liked those. They sound amazing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

largest carburetors ever fitted to a honda motorcycle, iirc

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

largest carburetors ever fitted to a honda motorcycle, iirc

That's the firestorm, the rc51 has an appallingly choppy efi system instead with 2 injectors per TB. Not a high and low system like a modern bike, just two injectors running at the same height to supposedly improve low rpm fueling. Spoiler: it didn't

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
oh funny thing I learned today, dad told me what the dealership rent is per month

350 loving dollars

sometimes you learn some wild poo poo that is hilarious in todays day and age.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

UCS Hellmaker posted:

All of these are the shops own, owned by the one salesman thats been there years. The owner who is my aunts dad has a few but mainly has snowmobiles. Its a small shop but seeing the history and then the race bikes for the speedway was interesting for sure.

He just has them on display or they’re for sale? RZ350 looks pretty nice. I tell myself I want a 2 stroke but I wonder if I really do. :smith:

Slavvy posted:

Any meaningful difference between the SP1 and SP2? Seems to be a 2-3x price difference.

———

What’s on this dude’s fork caps? Is it for telemetry?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Slavvy posted:

they've started appreciating like old Hondas at least

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Toe Rag posted:

He just has them on display or they’re for sale? RZ350 looks pretty nice. I tell myself I want a 2 stroke but I wonder if I really do. :smith:

Any meaningful difference between the SP1 and SP2? Seems to be a 2-3x price difference.

———

What’s on this dude’s fork caps? Is it for telemetry?

There are meaningful differences if you're building a race bike, otherwise not really

Those appear to be adapters to make removing the caps easier, presumably to aid in changing setup faster.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

Slavvy posted:

Hell yeah, stand back for Exciteeerrr

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

So this is the raw gay horsepower I've been hearing about

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
:hmmyes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXMmrZN4qDw

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Slavvy posted:

So this is the raw gay horsepower I've been hearing about

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Took a trip to a new restaurant near where I work and got a greek salad to go, then took off and found a nice place to sit by a river and eat my lunch. The grass is just starting to green up and the trees are all sprouting buds. The goldwing handles itself surprisingly well off-pavement, but the mountain of torque means the rear wheel spins if you even think about the throttle.

Either way though, the food was good, the view was good and it was peaceful. Motorcycles are good. Hot take, I know

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Motorcycles are good. Hot take, I know

They're ok

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm indifferent

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 13, 2023

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

They are chaotic neutral at best.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Tell my bike I said "hello."

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I just pulled this out of the muffler on an xr250 with a mysterious stalling issue and distinct lack of power

Yes that is steel wool and a holesaw

Idk whether this lands on just enough knowledge to be deadly or just plain monumentally stupid

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
:stare:

I know some people will block the end of their muffler with steel wool to keep mice out during the winter but that’s… something else. My money is on monumentally stupid.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
There was a quarter in the reed cage of my KTM.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

TotalLossBrain posted:

There was a quarter in the reed cage of my KTM.

Oddly I once found a quarter in the oil tank of a scooter I was working on

I drilled it out and used it as a keychain for the scooter key

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
Put this in your tailpipe and smoke it

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CrJUte3L_gA/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y%3D

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

T Zero posted:

Put this in your tailpipe and smoke it feed it to the chickens

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CrJUte3L_gA/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y%3D

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Allegedly from the first Mad Max shoot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Always wondered how they got those shots, I thought they somehow strapped a camera to the rider. Would've been terrifying.