Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Absolutely love the hunt for cool looking interceptor ships while the coordinate exchange dorks heroes do their thing. Doesn't hurt that even a c class interceptor scraps for 42 million units, and the various corrupted bits all refine for tons of nanites :homebrew:

E: taking down a sentinel capital ship is really fun, although it is a little funny to take out the turrets and then just have to patiently whittle it down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

slicing up eyeballs posted:

E: taking down a sentinel capital ship is really fun, although it is a little funny to take out the turrets and then just have to patiently whittle it down

I ended up just stocking up on Ship Batteries and tanking the fight with a couple of squadron ships.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I’m trying to get a Sentinel ship, found a planet with corrupted sentinels on it and a couple of ships too but I still haven’t gotten a quest for it nor is there any kind of guidance on how I’m supposed to do all this stuff.

The thing is that I can’t get two of the items I need, the brain and the mirror. I know how you’re supposed to get them but when I use the other brain item, my inventory closes and nothing happens, I don’t even lose the item.

I’ve killed four of the mining things now and haven’t gotten a mirror. Are they rare or is this bugged?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

I’ve killed four of the mining things now and haven’t gotten a mirror. Are they rare or is this bugged?

Sounds like it's bugged. I got mine through the scanner that drops when you defeat a capital ship and everything in the quest line worked as normal.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I finally got one, and after getting it I could use the brain so you have do it in order I guess.

Still no quest for any of this though.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

I finally got one, and after getting it I could use the brain so you have do it in order I guess.

Still no quest for any of this though.

Did you find a crashed interceptor randomly, or use the scanner from destroying a capital ship? I have a feeling that the questline + guaranteed mirror drop us only for scanner-found ships

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Did you find a crashed interceptor randomly, or use the scanner from destroying a capital ship? I have a feeling that the questline + guaranteed mirror drop us only for scanner-found ships

Interacting with any crashed interceptor forces a "fix the ship" quest into your log, and the only way to get a brain is to be on that step of a quest (ie, have crystals and a mirror in your exosuit inventory). Otherwise, interacting with a corrupted brain does nothing. You can fix the ship if you abandon the quest, but "being on that quest step" is the only way you can get a purified brain in the first place, so

If you're so inclined you can "stock up" on fixed brains by purifying one, sticking it in your freighter storage, and using another broken one to point you to another monolith to purify it. You don't have to use the same brain that you got from a ship to fix it, so I've been lobotomizing sentinel ships I'm not interested in and just have like 6 purified brains in the bank so I can fix any ones I want with no muss and no fuss

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I got the item by going to a sentinel-guarded building and killing them until the waves stopped coming and got the scanner from them. I did ultimately get the quest but it was only after I’d been able to use the brain and got coordinates to one of the ancient sites where you get the final brain item.

Anyway, new patch, new bugs. Got my ship in the end!

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Sentinel ship appearances are locked to the system/planet they're found on. My kid found one that looks a bit like a Silon raider from 70's BSG, with black & red accents. Here's the portal code:

If you didn't know, you can find the portal code for wherever you're at by just going into 'Photo Mode' from the quick menu.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Has anyone cracked the code on interceptor ship quality yet? I think I did two on the same planet and aesthetically they were the same but varied in slots and class. Their base specs are already pretty great so it's not a big deal but if I'm already hunting I may as well try.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

5er posted:

Sentinel ship appearances are locked to the system/planet they're found on. My kid found one that looks a bit like a Silon raider from 70's BSG, with black & red accents. Here's the portal code:

If you didn't know, you can find the portal code for wherever you're at by just going into 'Photo Mode' from the quick menu.

What's the easiest way to find a portal again?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Ssthalar posted:

Anomaly

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

slicing up eyeballs posted:

Has anyone cracked the code on interceptor ship quality yet? I think I did two on the same planet and aesthetically they were the same but varied in slots and class. Their base specs are already pretty great so it's not a big deal but if I'm already hunting I may as well try.

The appearance persists so you can spend as much time hunting a better-quality ship on a planet as you feel like, although I suspect it abides by the usual system econ quality rules about how often it spawns as S/A/B/C

Ssthalar posted:

Use a map to find an alien monolith (whatever the "alien structure" map is called that you can buy for nav data at a space station) , use the monolith for the puzzle, then use the monolith again with a relic for the system's race to get it to point you at a portal

Then drop a base on top of it so you don't have to go hunting for portals in that galaxy ever again

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Anyone having issues launching the game? I get a few seconds into loading my save and get an immediate crash to desktop. Verified my files and I'm not doing any mods, so idk what's going on.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Hey goons I was really interested in this game before it came out, yadayadayada you’ve all heard the story and now there’s a billion updates and it sounds like it’s decent to play.

In amongst all those updates did they add any kinds of accessibility options? Bad eyesight, def have trouble reading excessive amounts of text and rely more on peripheral vision than anything and thus FPS games aren’t usually my bag but I figure what the hell it’s on gamepass and it’s worth asking.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

BurningBeard posted:

Hey goons I was really interested in this game before it came out, yadayadayada you’ve all heard the story and now there’s a billion updates and it sounds like it’s decent to play.

In amongst all those updates did they add any kinds of accessibility options? Bad eyesight, def have trouble reading excessive amounts of text and rely more on peripheral vision than anything and thus FPS games aren’t usually my bag but I figure what the hell it’s on gamepass and it’s worth asking.

There's options to crank up the text size, at least

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Speech to text started working for me for the first time today. Maybe the new update fixed it?

NMS has that weird thing where it shows certain messages in the receiving players language in the anomaly. I sent some nipnip buds to a french player, and they called it fleurs de nip nip, so I kept repeating that with a bad french accent and my words started appearing in the text chat with a player I was still teamed up with. Said a bunch of test messages in english and it transcribed them well. Hopefully it keeps working, since its useful when playing in vr.

They're saying the interceptor ships are procedurally generated. I wonder if that just means color schemes.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

ChocNitty posted:

They're saying the interceptor ships are procedurally generated. I wonder if that just means color schemes.

Procgen doesn't necessarily mean "made randomly from scratch", it just means they've got a lego bin of parts and roll dice to decide which premade parts get put together. Everything in this game falls under that category, which is why every swamp planet has the same trees ("but the tree locations are random! every planet procedural!")

that said interceptors seem to have a pretty decently sized lego box to be pulling from, the variance is honestly pretty impressive both in terms of "number of parts that animate together well" and "number of outcomes that look decent and not crappy"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

No mans sky: fleurs de nip nip

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
je l'aime bien

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

No mans sky: fleurs de nip nip

:hmmyes:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

with this new update, i've decided i want to try to make my way to a galaxy that virtually nobody lives in and create my own mini-empire of like 5-10 star systems there. after going through the list, i settled on galaxy 143, isgarmeso, since most people will likely never go further than hilbert (or eissantum if they finish the artemis path and choose a lush galaxy) and most people who would ever get as far as the 140-somethingth galaxy would probably just keep moving on until they got to the last galaxy. plus isgarmeso is a harsh galaxy and in my experience most people avoid those (i happen to love them). i became aware some time ago of a pretty quick way to galaxy hop and i plan on doing that method, maybe occasionally stopping every now and then to plop down an outpost or two.

i was initially gonna start a new permadeath save for this until i remembered that in my previous permadeath save, i lucked into an s-class freighter, the only one of those i have seen in my 300-something hours in this game, and i ain't gonna leave that thing behind.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Apr 8, 2023

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
That sounds fun, and I can see the appeal every time I go by RUSSIA MAFIA PLANET #308957U29339 in Euclid.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

with this new update, i've decided i want to try to make my way to a galaxy that virtually nobody lives in and create my own mini-empire of like 5-10 star systems there. after going through the list, i settled on galaxy 143, isgarmeso, since most people will likely never go further than hilbert (or eissantum if they finish the artemis path and choose a lush galaxy) and most people who would ever get as far as the 140-somethingth galaxy would probably just keep moving on until they got to the last galaxy. plus isgarmeso is a harsh galaxy and in my experience most people avoid those (i happen to love them). i became aware some time ago of a pretty quick way to galaxy hop and i plan on doing that method, maybe occasionally stopping every now and then to plop down an outpost or two.

i was initially gonna start a new permadeath save for this until i remembered that in my previous permadeath save, i lucked into an s-class freighter, the only one of those i have seen in my 300-something hours in this game, and i ain't gonna leave that thing behind.

In my experience, people also tend to avoid empty galaxies, even more so than harsh ones. You'll never get absolutely zero people, of course. Even some of the higher numbers have sometimes one or two player organizations attached that "claim" regions in them.

Is that "pretty fast way" the one where you abuse portals to beam yourself close to the center of each new galaxy? Because if there's an even faster way, I'd be interested!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Libluini posted:

In my experience, people also tend to avoid empty galaxies, even more so than harsh ones. You'll never get absolutely zero people, of course. Even some of the higher numbers have sometimes one or two player organizations attached that "claim" regions in them.

Is that "pretty fast way" the one where you abuse portals to beam yourself close to the center of each new galaxy? Because if there's an even faster way, I'd be interested!

empty galaxies are my least favorite kind so i won't settle in one, i'll have an outpost in a couple for the hell of it but that's about it.

the method i'll be using is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxegUP_Our0

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Libluini posted:

especially now that people don't have to go through them in order. if any base in one of those galaxies is ever included as a "featured" base in the Anomaly then people can just jump there directly so people have spread out a lot more these days

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

BurningBeard posted:

It's not a *bad* game accessibility-wise. The text can be made quite big and clear and there is not a lot of it. The colours are bright. And the FPS aspect of it isn't too big - you can avoid all or most combat if you want to, and just do other stuff instead and have a good time for hours and hours. You and I have opposite eye issues though, we should swap eyes and gain as much useful eyesight as a normal person with one working eye

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

HopperUK posted:

It's not a *bad* game accessibility-wise. The text can be made quite big and clear and there is not a lot of it. The colours are bright. And the FPS aspect of it isn't too big - you can avoid all or most combat if you want to, and just do other stuff instead and have a good time for hours and hours. You and I have opposite eye issues though, we should swap eyes and gain as much useful eyesight as a normal person with one working eye

Rofl so true. I don’t mind the concept of FPS but if it’s a low contrast situation and I can’t see the reticle it’s a fuckin nightmare. Either way this sounds like it could work so I’ll give it a shot. Thanks.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Earwicker posted:

especially now that people don't have to go through them in order. if any base in one of those galaxies is ever included as a "featured" base in the Anomaly then people can just jump there directly so people have spread out a lot more these days

as far as i can tell there is no way to see what galaxy a base is in, you just have to jump in blind

there are also people who make instakill trap bases in the permadeath universe and i ain't chancing that

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

as far as i can tell there is no way to see what galaxy a base is in, you just have to jump in blind

there are also people who make instakill trap bases in the permadeath universe and i ain't chancing that

Huh, guess the permadeath draws a different crowd. I'm actually surprised by that because the randos in this game have always been the most chill people.

Maybe I've been lucky, I never see any hateful speech and multiple times my brother and I have had random people just give us stuff.

I just managed to pick up a c class sentinel starship. I really dig the whirring gears and stuff. The design is really fun in my opinion. I havent had the chance to try out the sentinel weapons on it yet. Hopefully they're decent.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

all the randos i've met have been fine and i don't think trap bases are very common at all, but it just takes one for the hours i've poured into this save to go down the toilet. if/when i die i want it to be my own idiocy, not somebody else's.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
New ships... are good

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Icon Of Sin posted:

Anyone having issues launching the game? I get a few seconds into loading my save and get an immediate crash to desktop. Verified my files and I'm not doing any mods, so idk what's going on.

Try updating your video card drivers. I had the same problem and updating my drivers seems to have fixed it.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

all the randos i've met have been fine and i don't think trap bases are very common at all, but it just takes one for the hours i've poured into this save to go down the toilet. if/when i die i want it to be my own idiocy, not somebody else's.

Oh I get you completely. I'd hate to have a permadeath run ended because little Timmy thought it was funny to build an instadeath base.

I just would have never thought of it to begin with.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

swordfish duelist posted:

Huh, guess the permadeath draws a different crowd. I'm actually surprised by that because the randos in this game have always been the most chill people.

NMS is weird because by far and away most of the people you interact with are super chill, but the fact that the barrier to entry on high tier stuff is so trivally low between in game duplication tricks and HG's stance on modding (aka "go hog wild") means there's no impetus to not be an rear end in permadeath and it literally only takes one person to screw up a lot of people's days. Case in point, one of the more recent bugs where people were flying ships into the anomaly and someone was like "anyways I started blasting" and permanently ended the saves of a lot of people who forgot that pvp was default enabled.

I don't think I'd be interested in doing a real permadeath save outside of the ones I already did for cheevos (and imo only the early game is interesting, after a point you're functionally immortal and it's just really constrained inventory management), but now that they have custom difficulty sliders if I ever got the itch I'd probably just do "permadeath in all categories outside of save deletion"-- not just because of the pvp, but because despite loving HG to death I'm still painfully aware they still have some random unexpected "fall through your floor" fuckups where the recovery case is "eh, just die in the void of space, the player will respawn anyways"

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

speaking of interacting with other people, i dunno if it's a problem with nexus missions or multiplayer in general but it took me 4 attempts to finish a daily nexus mission today because poo poo kept crashing on me on xbox. i've played for like 12 hours straight solo without crashes before, so i dunno wtf that's all about.

hope the other players i left behind when my game crashed were able to finish their missions, at least.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Finally got my hands on the new multi-tool and jetpack. Only took an intense running gun-battle in the middle of a blizzard.

EDIT: Also repaired this goofy looking interceptor which I sold for scrap

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Amazing screenshots. Thanks to everyone who posts screenies in the thread, I love seeing them.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Is there a new, cool, sexy way to farm salvaged frigate modules in this update?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

HopperUK posted:

Amazing screenshots. Thanks to everyone who posts screenies in the thread, I love seeing them.

Taking photos is one of my favourite things to do in this game.

That last one was taken in a friend's base, he's built a gigantic containment unit around a portal