Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I hope there's nothing stopping bards from aggroing every mob in a zone and kiting it in a circle, just autorunning in a loop while afk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
I'm starting to get the itch again. Is Mischief worth jumping back into if I stopped playing all the way back at the end of Luclin, or will I just be forever playing catch-up?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

BabelFish posted:

I'm starting to get the itch again. Is Mischief worth jumping back into if I stopped playing all the way back at the end of Luclin, or will I just be forever playing catch-up?

The great thing about mischief is that you can buy previous era raid gear for pennies, so you'll only be an expac or two behind in gear, which isn't a bad spot to be in at all since the gear is still good enough for current era XP zones.

There's also bonus XP that just started.

The only thing you'll really be behind on is AA honestly. There's a ton of ways to make plat so that you can buy newer raid gear.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

BabelFish posted:

Now is a good time. I think autogrant opens up all the way to Omens of War here pretty soon for Mischief in Secrets of Faydwer. I say soon but thats like four months way. The Buried Sea is opening up soon (as in later this month) which is a non leveling, lull expac. Your only really priority during that expac will be to get max level, get solteris flagged, and find either a plat raid, a guild you join, or a samaritan guild that will have an open raid spot to let you sit in guild lobby and collect raid credit. Having the raid credits for solteris will let you buy raid gear really easily in era, which becomes decent catch up gear in SoF, and will also leave you raid credited to participate in old man mckenzie raids in Seeds of Destruction. Having that wrapped up, some classes will need their 2.0 for the click (notably shaman/bard/cleric) or the focus (necro). But many classes can forgo that. If you want to jump in and raid heavily you might need to think about that. If you just want to jump in, just worry about getting in a solteris clear sometime before July.

Thats a lot of words to say,

tl;dr: Now is a decent time to catch up on mischief. Once SoF starts in like four months, it will become harder to catch up, because the pace of the game picks up and you get buried in content and opportunity cost with your time becomes real. Catching up in later eras will necessarily mean being behind in whatever is concurrent.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
It's insanely easy to catch up on Mischief right now. I sold 1 krono and was able to afford twinking the poo poo out of an entire 6 box crew with half the money left over. Got my bois leveled in a few days and they're now just trucking along filling in AAs that aren't auto'd yet.

There weren't a whole lot of lowbies a few weeks ago when I started, but I'd guess the new TLP announcement is going to have a ton of fresh blood arriving on Mischief shortly

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

just go into it 3 boxing at a minimum imo. It’s the phase of the game where cliques are already established and being able to independently do what you feel like doing is what keeps the game playable.

If you absolutely can’t stand boxing then don’t, but if you can tolerate it then god drat is it useful.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
You guys are making it really hard to not spend $90 re-subbing my 6-box. Do people run melee or caster groups in later expansions? I ended Luclin capable of running both SK/Cleric/Ench/Bard/Mage/Druid and War/Cleric/Shaman/Bard/Monk/Monk at 60. (Mischief was my first EQ experience after originally quitting in 2002)

BabelFish fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Apr 8, 2023

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

both of those combos should be really strong but personally I find melee easier to handle. Maybe consider subbing a berserker in for one of the monks, as they have some really drat strong melee group synergy especially with warrior and shaman. The biggest drawback of melee is probably the cost of top end gear.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Drop the cleric for another melee DPS and that set's gold. A shaman's fine main healing a group already on Mischief, and they only get more ridiculous as expansions unlock. I'm running SK/Shm/Bard + 3x zerkers and my shm often outdeeps the SK while also healing the group alone. Almost every group-game obstacle can be trivially overcome just by burning harder, so you'll probably live longer making the swap too

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Not sure exactly what you're into but both groups look fine. As was said you could drop the cleric for more dps.

If you're looking to raid, you can never go wrong with a cleric though, easiest class to get into a guild with, I know we're always recruiting clerics.

Also, a cleric will help you get into lowman stuff easier as well, even with established groups.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
More DPS is usually a good strategy. I will say though that in secrets of Faydwer and then again in seeds of destruction the mobs start really trucking and it’s harder to ignore the tank and priest side of groups. I’m told the trend continues in underfoot. There were lots of moments in secrets of faydwer when the cleric healing on their own was not enough to keep up healing a warrior absent other support (either reptile or a spot healer, a CCer, a more thoughtful puller etc.). It’s a good thing though the mobs were really undertuned in previous eras.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Having a well geared tank is huge, mischief makes that super easy (sort of), current era gear is very expensive but if you're raiding and your war/sk/pal is your main you can keep him in the best gear and it makes group stuff super easy.

My warrior is my mian for raiding and it's just dumb how easy content is, I haven't played past TBS though so we'll see if it actually does get harder.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

How do you guys manage 6 character box squads?

Do you use some software?

My first attempt at boxing was last year on yelinak and it was basically just putting my laptop on my desk and using a weird one handed keyboard I bought for 20 bucks to hit command macros on the box druid. It worked fine but it was pretty clunky.

Can't imagine doing that with 5 boxes and a main though. What's the secret?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea they are almost assuredly using software to do it.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

I use multiplicity, works pretty well, has some quirks, but all kvm type software does.

I really need to get a big monitor like 32" and run an HDMI splitter so I don't need 6 monitors.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Malaria posted:

How do you guys manage 6 character box squads?

Do you use some software?

My first attempt at boxing was last year on yelinak and it was basically just putting my laptop on my desk and using a weird one handed keyboard I bought for 20 bucks to hit command macros on the box druid. It worked fine but it was pretty clunky.

Can't imagine doing that with 5 boxes and a main though. What's the secret?

My habit of collecting old PCs over the years eventually paid off. You don't need to splurge for the RGB numpads, but I found it helped me distinguish each account.

My 11th hotbar on each computer is arranged in a 3x4 grid and mapped to the numpad keys. Every account has stuff like sit/follow/assist on the numpads, with roles using the rest of the keys for common actions (cleric has a 'heal tank' button, for example.) Tank account drives, multiplicity for doing anything special (buffing, non-tank healing, mezzing), the bard just sings and auto attacks, dps casters are set up with cast macros.

It's not the fastest layout, and if unexpected stuff happens I tend to just die, but I'm following all the truebox rules (one instance per PC, only one game input per player action).

MF_James posted:

I really need to get a big monitor like 32" and run an HDMI splitter so I don't need 6 monitors.
Saw a dude online suggest one of these for running 4 PCs at once, since it has quad HDMI input and a 4-screen split screen layout.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0821WWXV6

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

You can streamline a keypad set up and drive a group with some success but you’re gonna develop carpal tunnel. It involves a fair bit of set up, a little planning and some practice for muscle memory but any set up will once you go past three or so. Synergy groups are killing fast and each character is usually squeezing in the same narrow loop of actions, so that 6th character can get away with a five key pad whereas some of the more involved toons need more keys and I’ll use a 23-key pad so you can map an aswd for movement, some basic stuff like auto run and auto attack and the important functions and you have a lot of control that feels pretty natural once you get the hang of it. But, again, turn back. Carpal tunnel.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Ok I'm gonna buy Multiplicity then. Wish I snagged it when it was on sale during the steam sale!

My 2nd monitor(a 29" ultrawide, mounted vertically) has PBP. So I could run 3 PC's I guess. I have a laptop and a desktop. Maybe ill buy one of those little mini pc's with built in graphics. I have actually been looking at those anyway for a HTPC/Emulator PC.

Now to decide on what I want to play. I knew a dude who did Paladin/Shaman/Rogue and it worked pretty good. Maybe I'll do Paladin/Necro/Shaman.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
Edit: Solved my issue!

So it turns out something changed in the update to a 64-bit executable, and multiplicity (and apparently most other software KVMs?) were causing duplicated mouse inputs between the driving and following PCs. Here's the forum thread with a link to the patched executable that resolves the issue.

BabelFish fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 9, 2023

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

https://isboxer.com/ is what I use. Costs :10bux: but worth it imo. It's so nice after you set up the overlays and video feeds and passthrough clicks. I almost never switch off of my tank's instance since I can control the other 5 boxes fine from it already

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Are there any “for dummies” type tutorials for any of that software? I’d love to simply my 3 box, but I am absolutely terrible with that type of stuff. It took me forever to get ShowEQ working even with someone basically walking me through it. 😂

MF_James
May 8, 2008

RCarr posted:

Are there any “for dummies” type tutorials for any of that software? I’d love to simply my 3 box, but I am absolutely terrible with that type of stuff. It took me forever to get ShowEQ working even with someone basically walking me through it. 😂

multiplicity is really easy to use.

You install it on all the computers you want, mark the "main" PC as the main in multiplicity, the other ones will have passwords attached to them and you tell the main PC the password/IP/DNS name of the secondary PCs and then pick the configuration you want. I believe you want seemless KVM, then you get a grid where the computers will show up and you put them where they are logically (i.e. main PC in the middle and then the secondary PCs flanking left and right or whatever).

There's a lot of other more in-depth stuff you can do like make hotkeys that work across all PCs to do certain actions, I have a mouse button devoted to re-centering my mouse on my main PC, so I can move it to a secondary, do an action like casting a spell and then click that button and I'm back on my my main.

It's overall pretty easy.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 9, 2023

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Ok I’m gonna check it out, wish me luck!

MF_James
May 8, 2008

RCarr posted:

Ok I’m gonna check it out, wish me luck!

if you have PMs you could send me one for questions, post here, or we could do a live discord thing.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
An extra shout out for Multiplicity, it can easily pipe audio via network to the 'main' computer. At this point I have an intel Nuc right next to my main setup I have offloaded all video streaming/music to and have everything pipe into the main computer's speakers. I stopped using 2 monitors on the main computer, side monitor is connected to the nuc. Mouse side buttons shift computer access so I don't worry about messing up full screen games on scrolling off the sides.

Software I have found a ton of use for outside of EQ.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

BabelFish posted:

So it turns out something changed in the update to a 64-bit executable, and multiplicity (and apparently most other software KVMs?) were causing duplicated mouse inputs between the driving and following PCs. Here's the forum thread with a link to the patched executable that resolves the issue.

Oh this is great, I was using: https://joelpurra.com/projects/X-Mouse_Controls/ as a workaround last time I was playing. Thanks for posting the link!

MF_James
May 8, 2008

BabelFish posted:

Weird, I have sort of seen this issue, but I (think) it only duplicates on the primary computer when I'm on a secondary, but I guess I've never really checked the other secondaries to see if they are getting duplicate clicks I'll have to check it out. Does this affect Win10 and Win11? There's no mention of OS but figured I'd ask.

It really hosed up my UI at one point because it closed my window where I jam all the melee/spell spam that isn't mine and when it closed that window, it started dumping it into my main, it saved to my ini because I didn't notice right away and I had to spend like 20 minutes going through setting it up again, very annoying.

Anyway, gonna test it out and confirm I'm having the issue and then grab the updated exe so thanks for posting.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

So I got Multiplicity setup. It's shockingly easy to use.

My only problem is if I mouselook/mouse movement with holding right click on one PC, it moves the camera on the main pc. Anyone know how to stop that? I like mouse look for quick camera fixing/respositoning.

Other than that one issue, it has made boxing super easy. Probably gonna order that mini pc and get a 3 box setup together for the new TLP next month.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Malaria posted:

My only problem is if I mouselook/mouse movement with holding right click on one PC, it moves the camera on the main pc. Anyone know how to stop that? I like mouse look for quick camera fixing/respositoning.

Other than that one issue, it has made boxing super easy. Probably gonna order that mini pc and get a 3 box setup together for the new TLP next month.
That was the issue I solved here:

BabelFish posted:

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

BabelFish posted:

That was the issue I solved here:

Ohhh I'm an idiot and should have read the thread more. Thank you!

I'm amazed how easy it is to box with this software.

Edit: I just ordered a mini pc. 3 box is gonna happen.

Malaria fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Apr 11, 2023

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Malaria posted:

https://joelpurra.com/projects/X-Mouse_Controls/

That solved it for me, only turn it on for EQ mostly though.

Beast British
Mar 12, 2006

Help yourself to some fethers but leave my fork alone.
Are there instanced dungeons on mischief? I haven't played much beyond Velious so I don't know how things worth beyond then.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Beast British posted:

Are there instanced dungeons on mischief? I haven't played much beyond Velious so I don't know how things worth beyond then.

Raids are (typically) instanced, but standard zones are not. There can be pick zones of the regular zones though, which is multiple open-world instances of the same zone. A zone will pop a pick when it hits a threshold of toons in the zone.

There are sometimes task instances, essentially they are like repeatable quests that will zone your group into an instance, that can be done for XP. I don't think there are any in TSS really, but there are some in TBS you could do for xp, not sure if they're any good for xp though.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

MF_James posted:

There are sometimes task instances, essentially they are like repeatable quests that will zone your group into an instance, that can be done for XP. I don't think there are any in TSS really, but there are some in TBS you could do for xp, not sure if they're any good for xp though.

TSS is full of task instances. Almost the entire progression for Ashengate and Frostcrypt instances are done in task instances. Are you thinking of DZs?

As far as XPing in TSS, if you’re coming up from 1, just do the progression through TSS zones. Not a ton of task instances, though there are some along the way.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

koreban posted:

TSS is full of task instances. Almost the entire progression for Ashengate and Frostcrypt instances are done in task instances. Are you thinking of DZs?

As far as XPing in TSS, if you’re coming up from 1, just do the progression through TSS zones. Not a ton of task instances, though there are some along the way.

Ah yeah sorry, I mean I don't think there are any really good ones to do for xp like there were in DODH.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, there’s nothing quite like Fibblebrap 5, or Lost Gnomes, or Elder Longshadow.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

So I bought multiplicity and I can’t find either of my other 2 computers….

What am I supposed to do?

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

RCarr posted:

So I bought multiplicity and I can’t find either of my other 2 computers….

What am I supposed to do?

If you have a strong enough PC you can run a virtual machine I am told. The one person I know that plays that way, it sounds like a pain in the rear end to me. But you can do it. P sure they use multiplicity or input director.

Re: cheap options one of my guildies got eq up and running on I think it’s a steam deck? Some of the cheapy NUC’s w/ celerons also work fine. Old computers in the closet? Check a family member for any hunk of junk collecting dust in their garage/closet? People joke you can run eq on a toaster/potato, and there is some truth there.

Edit: was told it’ll run fine in a surface pro. I have not tested to see if I can get it up and running on my kids Chromebook but I’m curious now.

Yiggy fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 12, 2023

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

You really don't want to use VMs if you can avoid it. It's how I'm having to play and it'd be abjectly miserable if I were trying to manually control them all. Even if you set up GPU partitioning, it still feels awful and laggy and clunky. I'd much rather have a stack of cheap ebay laptops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

When comparing the boxes, generally anything with a celeron is fine, you’ll want to turn a lot of graphic stuff down, and if you jump off say the bridge in valdehom or the cliff outside high pass, because of low frame rate, you will die from fall damage. Anything with an i3 or better you’re probably not going to die from frame rate fall damage. Is one way to gauge it.