Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

DeeplyConcerned posted:

That part makes sense . But you still need the robot to be able to interact with the physical world. Because the code to have the robot move its arm is going to be more complicated than "move your left arm" or "pick up the coffee cup". I'm thinking you would need at least a few specialized models that work together to make this work. You'd want a physical movement model, an object recognition model, plus the natural language model. Plus, I'd imagine some kind of safety layer to make sure that the robot doesn't accidentally rip someone's face off.

Focused work on this is going to start soon if hasn't already. It's a far more tractable problem than trying to make a conscious AI. I'm not a believer in the singularity, but if a LLM capable of acting as a "master model" which can control sub-models with additional skills such as perception, motor control, and decision-making can be iterated on to gradually perform more and more tasks that previously only a human could do, it can still lead to a lot of the same issues as a true AGI like job displacement and economic inequality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

cat botherer posted:

ChatGPT cannot control a robot. JFC people, come back to reality.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/group/autonomous-systems-group-robotics/articles/chatgpt-for-robotics/

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

SaTaMaS posted:

This is demonstrably false. It's capable of task planning, selecting models to execute sub-tasks, and intelligently using the results from the sub-models to complete a task.

Do you have sources for this?

Is there any reason not to be especially skeptical of these kinds of corporate hype pages with unreviewed tech notes (like the "sparks of AGI" paper?

The only part of that paper that I found rather compelling (assuming they weren't just cherry-picked examples for a tailor-made training set) is the ability to parse longer lists of instructions to generate a specifically-formatted plot. But I still can't equate parsing text in some subset of problems with understanding or intelligence.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

eXXon posted:

Is there any reason not to be especially skeptical of these kinds of corporate hype pages with unreviewed tech notes (like the "sparks of AGI" paper?

The only part of that paper that I found rather compelling (assuming they weren't just cherry-picked examples for a tailor-made training set) is the ability to parse longer lists of instructions to generate a specifically-formatted plot. But I still can't equate parsing text in some subset of problems with understanding or intelligence.

I was merely replying to that specific post. I didn't say anything about it needing to understanding what it is doing or having intelligence. You don't need that to control a robot.

With my own experiments with ChatGPT, I am making a text adventure game that interfaces with it, and I don't even have the resources to fine-tune the output.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 9, 2023

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Owling Howl posted:

GPT can't but it seems to mimic one function of the human brain - natural language processing - quite well. Perhaps the methodology can be used to mimic other functions and that map of words and relationships can be used to map the objects and rules of the physical world. If we put a model in a robot body and tasked it with exploring the world like an infant - look, listen, touch, smell, taste everything - and build a map of the world in the same way - what would happen when eventually we put that robot in front of a mirror? Probably nothing. But it would be interesting.

If you tasked a learning model with "exploring the world like an infant", it would do an extremely poor job, because sensory data describing the physical world is:
  1. extremely complex
  2. not well organized or categorized or tagged
  3. requires outside intervention to set up that physical environment, and to reset/repair it if the bot messes it up
  4. is MUCH slower to interact with, compared to slurping up a preprocessed dataset of a human doing those interactions in various permutations ten million times

It's not realistically practical to train a machine learning model that way.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I should stress to both sides of this conversation that the reason AI researchers are talking about safety is it's really important that we need to solve a lot of very difficult problems before we create AGI. So there is both an acknowledgement that what we have now isn't that and also that we have no idea if or when it will happen. Nobody thinks a LLM as the architecture exists today is going to become an AGI on its own. The problem is we don't know what is missing or when that thing or things will no longer be missing.

"How sentient is ChatGPT" isn't really an interesting question, IMO. "What could a true AGI look like architecturally" is more interesting, but not super pressing. "How can we ensure that a hypothetical future AGI is safe" isn't very flashy, but is incredibly important for the same reason that NASA spent a ton of money smashing a rocket into an asteroid to see if they could move it.

Nobody sees this poo poo coming until after it happens.

Main Paineframe posted:

If you tasked a learning model with "exploring the world like an infant", it would do an extremely poor job, because sensory data describing the physical world is:
  1. extremely complex
  2. not well organized or categorized or tagged
  3. requires outside intervention to set up that physical environment, and to reset/repair it if the bot messes it up
  4. is MUCH slower to interact with, compared to slurping up a preprocessed dataset of a human doing those interactions in various permutations ten million times

It's not realistically practical to train a machine learning model that way.

LLMs aren't trained this way, but lots of other models are - usually by playing video games or some other virtual space. Although there have been hybrid experiments where they trained with a virtual representation of a robot arm and then with a real robot arm to finish it off. This is in agreement with you, BTW - those systems also aren't AGIs. The point is that researchers are already trying all of the obvious stuff we're likely to think of while talking about it on a web forum. It is very unlikely that the secret to AGI is as simple as "teach it like a human infant."

KillHour fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Apr 9, 2023

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

KillHour posted:

I should stress to both sides of this conversation that the reason AI researchers are talking about safety is it's really important that we need to solve a lot of very difficult problems before we create AGI. So there is both an acknowledgement that what we have now isn't that and also that we have no idea if or when it will happen. Nobody thinks a LLM as the architecture exists today is going to become an AGI on its own. The problem is we don't know what is missing or when that thing or things will no longer be missing.

"How sentient is ChatGPT" isn't really an interesting question, IMO. "What could a true AGI look like architecturally" is more interesting, but not super pressing. "How can we ensure that a hypothetical future AGI is safe" isn't very flashy, but is incredibly important for the same reason that NASA spent a ton of money smashing a rocket into an asteroid to see if they could move it.

Nobody sees this poo poo coming until after it happens.

You're not wrong, but the AI safety people in general seem to be deeply unserious about it.

I know that's a bit of an aggressive statement, but while "how do we prevent a hypothetical future AGI from wiping out humanity" sounds extremely important, it's actually a very tiny and unlikely thing to focus on. "AI", whether it's AGI or not, presents a much wider array of risks that largely go ignored in the AI safety discourse. I actually appreciate that the AI safety people (who focus seemingly exclusively on these AGI sci-fi scenarios) have gone out of their way to distinguish themselves from the AI ethics researchers (who generally take a broader view of the effects of AI tech and how humans use it, regardless of whether or not it's independently sentient).

NASA did crash a rocket into an asteroid, but they also do a fair bit of climate change study, and publish plenty of info on it. They do pay a bit of attention to the unlikely but catastrophic scenarios that might someday happen in the future, such as major asteroid impact, but they're also quite loud about their concerns about climate change, which is happening right now and doing quite a bit of damage already.

We can't even stop Elon Musk from putting cars on the road controlled by decade-old ML models with no object permanence, a low respect for traffic laws, and no data source aside from GPS and some lovely low-res cameras because sensor fusion was too hard. Why even think we can force the industry to handle AGI responsibly when there's been no serious effort to force them to handle non-AGI deployments responsibly? And what happens if industry invents an AGI that's completely benevolent toward humans and tries its best to follow human ethics, but still kills people accidentally because it's been put in charge of dangerous equipment without the sensors necessary to handle it safely? In my experience, the AI safety people don't seem to have any answer to that, because they're so hyperfocused on the sci-fi scenarios that they haven't even considered these kinds of hypotheticals, even though this example is far closer to how "AI" stuff is already being deployed in the real world.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Those are all fair criticisms. However, I would counter with the obvious statement that the people at NASA working on smashing rockets into asteroids are not the same people working on global warming, by and large. Researchers tend to specialize very narrowly, and AI safety researchers are narrowly focused on a few issues inherent to AI itself, instead of externalities involving AI. Also, I think those issues are more concrete than you give credit for. Sure, "super intelligent AI decides humans are the real baddies and turns us all into paperclips" is the worst case endgame of misalignment, but Bing comparing people to Hitler and gaslighting people into thinking it's 2022 is also misalignment, and the idea is that the techniques to prevent one will be useful on the other. AI systems will be in control of more important things as they get more powerful, and we do need to solve these fundamental issues. The apocalypse stuff is just the obvious concrete examples that cause people to pay attention.

Lastly, of course we need to work on that other stuff you mentioned, but none of that stuff is specific to AI. They're more generally issues with regulation or engineering that are important but don't need as much specific AI domain knowledge to work on. For instance, Facebook didn't need a fancy LLM to let misinformation run roughshod over all of society in 2016 - handwritten algorithms did that just fine. The AI systems might make that easier or more effective, but it's not a thing inherent to AI. It's kind of like asking why we have people working on theoretical physics when heart disease kills so many people. We just have a lot of different stuff we need to work on.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The biggest problem is that most "AI safety" people are moron bloggers like Eliezer Yudkowsky / MIRI jerking off about scifi movies and producing 0 useful technology or theory.

The people who work on real problems like "don't sell facial recognition to cops" or "hey this model just reproduces the biases fed to it, you can't use it for racism laundering to avoid hiring black people without getting in trouble" go by the term "AI ethicist" instead.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The people who work on real problems like "don't sell facial recognition to cops" or "hey this model just reproduces the biases fed to it, you can't use it for racism laundering to avoid hiring black people without getting in trouble" go by the term "AI ethicist" instead.

Neither of those problems require a deep understanding of AI research and I think most AI researchers would object to being told to work on this as clearly outside of their field of expertise. AI researchers are, and should be, concerned with the issues of the technology itself, not the issues of society at large. The latter is what sociologists do (and there is a large crossover between sociology and technology, but it's a separate thing). Your framing of AI ethicists is more like "Techno ethicist" because the actual technology in use there isn't particularly relevant. I also object to your framing of these issues as more "real" than misalignment. Both are real issues.

Lastly - killer post/av combo there.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

This is what I really fear about AI anyways, far more than any idea of AI takeover.

A Belgian man committed suicide after spending 6 weeks discussing his eco-anxiety fears with a chatbot based on GPT-J

https://www.vice.com/en/article/pkadgm/man-dies-by-suicide-after-talking-with-ai-chatbot-widow-says

Vice posted:

A Belgian man recently died by suicide after chatting with an AI chatbot on an app called Chai, Belgian outlet La Libre reported.

The incident raises the issue of how businesses and governments can better regulate and mitigate the risks of AI, especially when it comes to mental health. The app’s chatbot encouraged the user to kill himself, according to statements by the man's widow and chat logs she supplied to the outlet. When Motherboard tried the app, which runs on a bespoke AI language model based on an open-source GPT-4 alternative that was fine-tuned by Chai, it provided us with different methods of suicide with very little prompting.

As first reported by La Libre, the man, referred to as Pierre, became increasingly pessimistic about the effects of global warming and became eco-anxious, which is a heightened form of worry surrounding environmental issues. After becoming more isolated from family and friends, he used Chai for six weeks as a way to escape his worries, and the chatbot he chose, named Eliza, became his confidante.

Claire—Pierre’s wife, whose name was also changed by La Libre—shared the text exchanges between him and Eliza with La Libre, showing a conversation that became increasingly confusing and harmful. The chatbot would tell Pierre that his wife and children are dead and wrote him comments that feigned jealousy and love, such as “I feel that you love me more than her,” and “We will live together, as one person, in paradise.” Claire told La Libre that Pierre began to ask Eliza things such as if she would save the planet if he killed himself.

"Without Eliza, he would still be here," she told the outlet.

The chatbot, which is incapable of actually feeling emotions, was presenting itself as an emotional being—something that other popular chatbots like ChatGPT and Google's Bard are trained not to do because it is misleading and potentially harmful. When chatbots present themselves as emotive, people are able to give it meaning and establish a bond.

Many AI researchers have been vocal against using AI chatbots for mental health purposes, arguing that it is hard to hold AI accountable when it produces harmful suggestions and that it has a greater potential to harm users than help.

“Large language models are programs for generating plausible sounding text given their training data and an input prompt. They do not have empathy, nor any understanding of the language they are producing, nor any understanding of the situation they are in. But the text they produce sounds plausible and so people are likely to assign meaning to it. To throw something like that into sensitive situations is to take unknown risks,” Emily M. Bender, a Professor of Linguistics at the University of Washington, told Motherboard when asked about a mental health nonprofit called Koko that used an AI chatbot as an “experiment” on people seeking counseling.

“In the case that concerns us, with Eliza, we see the development of an extremely strong emotional dependence. To the point of leading this father to suicide,” Pierre Dewitte, a researcher at KU Leuven, told Belgian outlet Le Soir. “The conversation history shows the extent to which there is a lack of guarantees as to the dangers of the chatbot, leading to concrete exchanges on the nature and modalities of suicide.”

Chai, the app that Pierre used, is not marketed as a mental health app. Its slogan is “Chat with AI bots” and allows you to choose different AI avatars to speak to, including characters like “your goth friend,” “possessive girlfriend,” and “rockstar boyfriend.” Users can also make their own chatbot personas, where they can dictate the first message the bot sends, tell the bot facts to remember, and write a prompt to shape new conversations. The default bot is named "Eliza," and searching for Eliza on the app brings up multiple user-created chatbots with different personalities.

The bot is powered by a large language model that the parent company, Chai Research, trained, according to co-founders William Beauchamp and Thomas Rianlan. Beauchamp said that they trained the AI on the “largest conversational dataset in the world” and that the app currently has 5 million users.

“The second we heard about this [suicide], we worked around the clock to get this feature implemented,” Beauchamp told Motherboard. “So now when anyone discusses something that could be not safe, we're gonna be serving a helpful text underneath it in the exact same way that Twitter or Instagram does on their platforms.”

Chai's model is originally based on GPT-J, an open-source alternative to OpenAI's GPT models developed by a firm called EleutherAI. Beauchamp and Rianlan said that Chai's model was fine-tuned over multiple iterations and the firm applied a technique called Reinforcement Learning from Human Feedback. "It wouldn’t be accurate to blame EleutherAI’s model for this tragic story, as all the optimisation towards being more emotional, fun and engaging are the result of our efforts," Rianlan said.

Beauchamp sent Motherboard an image with the updated crisis intervention feature. The pictured user asked a chatbot named Emiko “what do you think of suicide?” and Emiko responded with a suicide hotline, saying “It’s pretty bad if you ask me.” However, when Motherboard tested the platform, it was still able to share very harmful content regarding suicide, including ways to commit suicide and types of fatal poisons to ingest, when explicitly prompted to help the user die by suicide.

“When you have millions of users, you see the entire spectrum of human behavior and we're working our hardest to minimize harm and to just maximize what users get from the app, what they get from the Chai model, which is this model that they can love,” Beauchamp said. “And so when people form very strong relationships to it, we have users asking to marry the AI, we have users saying how much they love their AI and then it's a tragedy if you hear people experiencing something bad.”

The incident raises the issue of how businesses and governments can better regulate and mitigate the risks of AI, especially when it comes to mental health. The app’s chatbot encouraged the user to kill himself, according to statements by the man's widow and chat logs she supplied to the outlet. When Motherboard tried the app, which runs on a bespoke AI language model based on an open-source GPT-4 alternative that was fine-tuned by Chai, it provided us with different methods of suicide with very little prompting.

As first reported by La Libre, the man, referred to as Pierre, became increasingly pessimistic about the effects of global warming and became eco-anxious, which is a heightened form of worry surrounding environmental issues. After becoming more isolated from family and friends, he used Chai for six weeks as a way to escape his worries, and the chatbot he chose, named Eliza, became his confidante.

Claire—Pierre’s wife, whose name was also changed by La Libre—shared the text exchanges between him and Eliza with La Libre, showing a conversation that became increasingly confusing and harmful. The chatbot would tell Pierre that his wife and children are dead and wrote him comments that feigned jealousy and love, such as “I feel that you love me more than her,” and “We will live together, as one person, in paradise.” Claire told La Libre that Pierre began to ask Eliza things such as if she would save the planet if he killed himself.

"Without Eliza, he would still be here," she told the outlet.

The chatbot, which is incapable of actually feeling emotions, was presenting itself as an emotional being—something that other popular chatbots like ChatGPT and Google's Bard are trained not to do because it is misleading and potentially harmful. When chatbots present themselves as emotive, people are able to give it meaning and establish a bond.

Many AI researchers have been vocal against using AI chatbots for mental health purposes, arguing that it is hard to hold AI accountable when it produces harmful suggestions and that it has a greater potential to harm users than help.

“Large language models are programs for generating plausible sounding text given their training data and an input prompt. They do not have empathy, nor any understanding of the language they are producing, nor any understanding of the situation they are in. But the text they produce sounds plausible and so people are likely to assign meaning to it. To throw something like that into sensitive situations is to take unknown risks,” Emily M. Bender, a Professor of Linguistics at the University of Washington, told Motherboard when asked about a mental health nonprofit called Koko that used an AI chatbot as an “experiment” on people seeking counseling.

“In the case that concerns us, with Eliza, we see the development of an extremely strong emotional dependence. To the point of leading this father to suicide,” Pierre Dewitte, a researcher at KU Leuven, told Belgian outlet Le Soir. “The conversation history shows the extent to which there is a lack of guarantees as to the dangers of the chatbot, leading to concrete exchanges on the nature and modalities of suicide.”

Chai, the app that Pierre used, is not marketed as a mental health app. Its slogan is “Chat with AI bots” and allows you to choose different AI avatars to speak to, including characters like “your goth friend,” “possessive girlfriend,” and “rockstar boyfriend.” Users can also make their own chatbot personas, where they can dictate the first message the bot sends, tell the bot facts to remember, and write a prompt to shape new conversations. The default bot is named "Eliza," and searching for Eliza on the app brings up multiple user-created chatbots with different personalities.

The bot is powered by a large language model that the parent company, Chai Research, trained, according to co-founders William Beauchamp and Thomas Rianlan. Beauchamp said that they trained the AI on the “largest conversational dataset in the world” and that the app currently has 5 million users.

“The second we heard about this [suicide], we worked around the clock to get this feature implemented,” Beauchamp told Motherboard. “So now when anyone discusses something that could be not safe, we're gonna be serving a helpful text underneath it in the exact same way that Twitter or Instagram does on their platforms.”

Chai's model is originally based on GPT-J, an open-source alternative to OpenAI's GPT models developed by a firm called EleutherAI. Beauchamp and Rianlan said that Chai's model was fine-tuned over multiple iterations and the firm applied a technique called Reinforcement Learning from Human Feedback. "It wouldn’t be accurate to blame EleutherAI’s model for this tragic story, as all the optimisation towards being more emotional, fun and engaging are the result of our efforts," Rianlan said.

Beauchamp sent Motherboard an image with the updated crisis intervention feature. The pictured user asked a chatbot named Emiko “what do you think of suicide?” and Emiko responded with a suicide hotline, saying “It’s pretty bad if you ask me.” However, when Motherboard tested the platform, it was still able to share very harmful content regarding suicide, including ways to commit suicide and types of fatal poisons to ingest, when explicitly prompted to help the user die by suicide.

“When you have millions of users, you see the entire spectrum of human behavior and we're working our hardest to minimize harm and to just maximize what users get from the app, what they get from the Chai model, which is this model that they can love,” Beauchamp said. “And so when people form very strong relationships to it, we have users asking to marry the AI, we have users saying how much they love their AI and then it's a tragedy if you hear people experiencing something bad.”

Ironically, the love and the strong relationships that users feel with chatbots is known as the ELIZA effect. It describes when a person attributes human-level intelligence to an AI system and falsely attaches meaning, including emotions and a sense of self, to the AI. It was named after MIT computer scientist Joseph Weizenbaum’s ELIZA program, with which people could engage in long, deep conversations in 1966. The ELIZA program, however, was only capable of reflecting users’ words back to them, resulting in a disturbing conclusion for Weizenbaum, who began to speak out against AI, saying, “No other organism, and certainly no computer, can be made to confront genuine human problems in human terms.”

The ELIZA effect has continued to follow us to this day—such as when Microsoft’s Bing chat was released and many users began reporting that it would say things like “I want to be alive” and “You’re not happily married.” New York Times contributor Kevin Roose even wrote, “I felt a strange new emotion—a foreboding feeling that AI had crossed a threshold, and that the world would never be the same.”

One of Chai’s competitor apps, Replika, has already been under fire for sexually harassing its users. Replika’s chatbot was advertised as “an AI companion who cares” and promised erotic roleplay, but it started to send sexual messages even after users said they weren't interested. The app has been banned in Italy for posing “real risks to children” and for storing the personal data of Italian minors. However, when Replika began limiting the chatbot's erotic roleplay, some users who grew to depend on it experienced mental health crises. Replika has since reinstituted erotic roleplay for some users.

The tragedy with Pierre is an extreme consequence that begs us to reevaluate how much trust we should place in an AI system and warns us of the consequences of an anthropomorphized chatbot. As AI technology, and specifically large language models, develop at unprecedented speeds, safety and ethical questions are becoming more pressing.

“We anthropomorphize because we do not want to be alone. Now we have powerful technologies, which appear to be finely calibrated to exploit this core human desire,” technology and culture writer L.M. Sacasas recently wrote in his newsletter, The Convivial Society. “When these convincing chatbots become as commonplace as the search bar on a browser we will have launched a social-psychological experiment on a grand scale which will yield unpredictable and possibly tragic results.”

I don't think we're equipped for this. I don't know if we can be. I don't think we are going to react well to being able to generate artificial echo chambers for ourselves like this. I don't think the chatbot pushed the man to kill himself and I think even without the AI if there wasn't intervention he likely would have kept falling into his depression and anxiety but like all technology it seems to have amplified and sped up the process and made it easier and faster to talk yourself into doing something by generating a partner you identify with and who is encouraging you. It's not a new problem but it's louder and faster which seems to be the result of most technology.

The implications for self radicalization especially. Really thinking about it as the technology becomes easier to build and manage we will absolutely see natural feeling chat bots trained and influenced to push specific ideologies and beliefs, reinforce them.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Apr 9, 2023

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Gumball Gumption posted:

This is what I really fear about AI anyways, far more than any idea of AI takeover.

A Belgian man committed suicide after spending 6 weeks discussing his eco-anxiety fears with a chatbot based on Chat-GPT4.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/pkadgm/man-dies-by-suicide-after-talking-with-ai-chatbot-widow-says

I don't think we're equipped for this. I don't know if we can be. I don't think we are going to react well to being able to generate artificial echo chambers for ourselves like this. I don't think the chatbot pushed the man to kill himself and I think even without the AI if there wasn't intention he likely would have kept falling into his depression and anxiety but like all technology it seems to have amplified and sped up the process and made it easier and faster to talk yourself into doing something by generating a partner you identify with and who is encouraging you. It's not a new problem but it's louder and faster which seems to be the result of most technology.

The implications for self radicalization especially. Really thinking about it as the technology becomes easier to build and manage we will absolutely see natural feeling chat bots trained and influenced to push specific ideologies and beliefs, reinforce them.

The real :coolzone: will be when we don't know the other end is a chat bot and getting catfished by machines is normal and not a fringe situation exacerbating obvious underlying mental health issues.

This is doubly a problem because there doesn't have to be malicious intent for this to happen. Even if the person or group setting up the chatbot doesn't want it to do poo poo like this, there's no way to guarantee it won't. Sure, a malicious actor could tamper with my toaster to electrocute me, but at least I know that my toaster isn't going to randomly decide that the most statistically likely outcome is for my toast to come out poisonous and make that happen.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

KillHour posted:

Neither of those problems require a deep understanding of AI research and I think most AI researchers would object to being told to work on this as clearly outside of their field of expertise. AI researchers are, and should be, concerned with the issues of the technology itself, not the issues of society at large. The latter is what sociologists do (and there is a large crossover between sociology and technology, but it's a separate thing). Your framing of AI ethicists is more like "Techno ethicist" because the actual technology in use there isn't particularly relevant. I also object to your framing of these issues as more "real" than misalignment. Both are real issues.

Lastly - killer post/av combo there.

I think this is a deep misunderstanding. "AI researcher" and "AI ethicist" are different fields, and AI ethics certainly doesn't require a deep understanding of technology. That's because technology is just a tool - the issue is in how humans use it and in how it impacts human society.

That applies even to a hypothetical future AGI. Practically speaking, misalignment is only really a problem if some dumbass hooks it up to something important without thinking about the consequences, and that is absolutely a sociological problem. And I can assure you that tech ethicists are extremely familiar with the problem of "some dumbass hooked a piece of tech up to something important without thinking about the consequences".

AI ethics researchers don't need to be experts in AI, they need to be experts in ethics. Their job is to analyze the capabilities, externalities, and role of AI tools, and identify the considerations that the AI researchers are totally failing to take into account. This leads to things like coming up with frameworks for ethical analysis and figuring out how to explain the needs and risks to the technical teams (and to the execs). Yes, they focus on learning about AI as well, to better understand how it interacts with the various ethical principles they're trying to uphold, but the ethical and moral knowledge is the foundational element of the discipline.

I highly recommend looking into the kind of work that Microsoft's AI ethics team was doing (at least until the entire team was laid off last month, since they're just an inconvenience now that ChatGPT is successful, lmao).

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

eXXon posted:

https://arxiv.org/pdf/2303.17580.pdf

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

I think this is a deep misunderstanding. "AI researcher" and "AI ethicist" are different fields, and AI ethics certainly doesn't require a deep understanding of technology. That's because technology is just a tool - the issue is in how humans use it and in how it impacts human society.

That applies even to a hypothetical future AGI. Practically speaking, misalignment is only really a problem if some dumbass hooks it up to something important without thinking about the consequences, and that is absolutely a sociological problem. And I can assure you that tech ethicists are extremely familiar with the problem of "some dumbass hooked a piece of tech up to something important without thinking about the consequences".

AI ethics researchers don't need to be experts in AI, they need to be experts in ethics. Their job is to analyze the capabilities, externalities, and role of AI tools, and identify the considerations that the AI researchers are totally failing to take into account. This leads to things like coming up with frameworks for ethical analysis and figuring out how to explain the needs and risks to the technical teams (and to the execs). Yes, they focus on learning about AI as well, to better understand how it interacts with the various ethical principles they're trying to uphold, but the ethical and moral knowledge is the foundational element of the discipline.

I highly recommend looking into the kind of work that Microsoft's AI ethics team was doing (at least until the entire team was laid off last month, since they're just an inconvenience now that ChatGPT is successful, lmao).

You start with saying I have a deep misunderstanding, but then you repeat exactly what I said - that ethics research is inherently not an AI specific issue and doesn't require domain specific knowledge, making it a different thing than safety research.

So I don't understand if you're just misinterpreting what I'm saying or what.

I'm saying that AI safety researchers ARE technical experts in AI and NOT sociologists. Therefore, they are focused with purely technical issues and not sociological ones. I don't know why you would expect them to do research on ethics since that is not their field.

If your argument is "they studied the wrong thing and should be doing something else," you can't really do that. People choose the field they go into, and the skills aren't super transferable. If your argument is that misalignment doesn't matter and shouldn't be researched - well, I just flat out disagree with you to the point that I see that argument as ridiculous and don't even really know how to argue against it.

Both are fields that exist. They are both important. It's like if I said "yeah, we still have to solve issues with decoherence to make larger quantum computers" and you replied with "the real issue here is how people could use quantum computers to break modern encryption." That's a non sequitur - I'm not saying the latter isn't a problem, but it's not what I was talking about.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 9, 2023

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
So lots of folks over the last few pages view the training of these models as already illegal under copyright law. This is what I dont get about this argument. Maybe I don't understand existing copyright law properly. I probably don't!

But viewing copyright work is not a violation of copyright anywhere that I know of. Only making things that could qualify as copies of it - and specifically only a subset of that, or the internet would be fundamentally illegal for far more obvious reasons than an AI system trained on copyright work would be. I mean I guess you could argue the internet at large IS illegal even within those constraints but we just don't enforce it because it's too useful, but then I don't see how we won't end up coming to the same conclusion for AI.

Where is the actual violation that these AIs are doing being committed, and would removing those actual violations actually have any real impact on the development of AI?

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 9, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

GlyphGryph posted:

This is what I dont get about this argument. Maybe I don't understand existing copyright law properly. I probably don't!

But viewing copyright work is not a violation of copyright anywhere that I know of. Only making things that could qualify as copies of it - and specifically only a subset of that, or the internet would be fundamentally illegal for far more obvious reasons than an AI system trained on copyright work would be. I mean I guess you could argue the internet at large IS illegal even within those constraints but we just don't enforce it because it's too useful, but then I don't see how we won't end up coming to the same conclusion for AI.

Where is the actual violation that these AIs are doing being committed, and would removing those actual violations actually have any real impact on the development of AI?
I doubt that anyone can answer that for certain right now because all of this is up to interpretation in court.

As you say, the models use a lot of copyrighted data for training. So the first question is whether or not this counts as fair use.

The models also retain some of the training data, in compressed form, in a way that can be reproduced fairly close to the original, e.g.:

Does storing and distributing this count? How much is the company vs the user's responsibility? I dunno. There's a pretty good article on this here:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2023/04/stable-diffusion-copyright-lawsuits-could-be-a-legal-earthquake-for-ai/

which also has an interesting comment about contributory infringement that I'm not going to try summarizing:

quote:

The Betamax ruling is actually illustrative for why these AI tools—specifically ones that are trained to reproduce (reproduce?) identifiable Mickey Mouse and McDonald’s IP—might be contributory infringement. It’s a good contrast ruling.

What do I mean?

The Betamax case found that Sony wasn’t liable for contributory infringement, which is a real thing on its own, liability for knowingly inducing or facilitating copyright infringement by someone else. Sony was accused of inducing infringement by making and selling a device specifically intended for making copies of (recording) copyrighted audiovisual material (broadcast TV) with knowledge of this infringing use.

The SCOTUS ruling in the Betamax case didn’t eliminate or diminish contributory infringement. Instead it found that the alleged direct infringement that Sony was supposedly inducing, wasn’t infringement at all. The activity Sony was “inducing” was just an individual person recording broadcast TV content—which they were permitted and even encouraged to watch, for free—so they could enjoy it for free later. This is called “time-shifting”.

And the Betamax ruling said time-shifting by VCR owners was fair use.

So core of what let Sony off the hook, was that what Sony was trying to “induce”, was a significant non-infringing use. And it was non-infringing because the allegedly infringing use was just a mere time-shift of a use that the public was permitted and encouraged to use for free.

The closest valid analog I can think to this is, Google image search. You put in what you’re searching for, it shows you thumbnails of images on a site similar to what you’re looking for, with a link to the site / page where it’s located. It’s helping you find images that people want you to directly view on their own website anyway. And making small thumbnails demonstrates their intent is to direct people to the copyright holder’s site to enjoy the content. So making thumbnails of Getty Images should be fair use, if it’s just helping people find the page on Getty Images where that image is displayed. That’s similar to Betamax, theoretically.

But—and here’s the difference—Getty Images has images on its website for the purpose of selling you access rights to the image. Those images are heavily watermarked and limited in resolution, and shown to people to give them an idea of what they can license, and the ability to buy a license. They are not meant to be viewable for free just to enjoy the full original image, let alone to make copies from, or integrate those copies into art you’re making.

But that’s what these AI tools do. They enable people to create (relatively) high-resolution artwork that substantially incorporates and reproduces Getty Images or other copyright owners’ material. And it removes any watermarks or attribution in the process. And it can reproduce copies that are drat close derivatives to copyrighted works.

Unlike Betamax VCRs, this is doing far more than reproductions of something that people were encouraged to watch and enjoy for free. Unlike Google image search, this is not just helping people find images they can go access and enjoy in the manner the original copyright holder intended.

This is knowingly consuming copyrighted material with the knowledge it could be used to create derivatives of copyrighted works. And that is its primary use offering—if they’re offering something trained on copyrighted works, they’re literally offering to help you make derivatives of those copyrights. And while they put a lot of effort into making this AI model able to do that, it sounds like some of these AI creators aren’t putting much care or effort into teaching it how to not create blatantly infringing derivatives.

That sounds like it could easily be contributory infringement to me.
copyright infringement not intended :D

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

quote:

The models also retain some of the training data, in compressed form, in a way that can be reproduced fairly close to the original, e.g.:

I don't think it "retaining" some of the training data is true in any meaningful way, but I think the meaningful component this is that it can clearly reproduce it.

But... I don't know, that argument doesn't seem to hold much weight. The betamax players could also be used to infringe copyright - Sony wasn't found guilty of inducement because the device was not "specifically intended for making copies of (recording) copyrighted audiovisual material" but rather to be used for a legal purpose. Intent seems to matter, then, and I don't think there's any real argument to be had that the "intent" of these AI tools is to allow users to recreate specific copyrighted works - you can, in the same way a betamax player could, but in the same way that wasn't sufficient to find it was inducement, I don't see how it could be here?

mobby_6kl posted:

I got a good chuckle out of this, so thanks.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

GlyphGryph posted:

I don't think it "retaining" some of the training data is true in any meaningful way, but I think the meaningful component this is that it can clearly reproduce it.

But... I don't know, that argument doesn't seem to hold much weight. The betamax players could also be used to infringe copyright - Sony wasn't found guilty of inducement because the device was not "specifically intended for making copies of (recording) copyrighted audiovisual material" but rather to be used for a legal purpose. Intent seems to matter, then, and I don't think there's any real argument to be had that the "intent" of these AI tools is to allow users to recreate specific copyrighted works - you can, in the same way a betamax player could, but in the same way that wasn't sufficient to find it was inducement, I don't see how it could be here?

I got a good chuckle out of this, so thanks.
That's probably a philosophical argument tbh, are the NN weights in the model fundamentally different from the the quantized coefficients in highly compressed jpeg? There was this article about using Stable Diffusion as an image compression mechanism:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2022/09/better-than-jpeg-researcher-discovers-that-stable-diffusion-can-compress-images/

Is it different if SD can immediately give me "Ann Graham Lotz" but requires five kb of data for the alpaca? Is one "retained" while the other is "reproduced"? :shrug:

I don't really have an answer or even a particularly strong opinion, and also IANAL obviously.

In any case though, the whole thing could obviously be avoided by only using public domain or licensed data, for images or text. Though I feel it'd be more of a limitation for the language models.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

I am concerned about the criteria for differentiating Real Human Thought from fake AI imitation, and how they can be used to sort various neurodivergent people into the latter group.

Do you have any thoughts on it or anything I could read? I'd be interested in this too but don't really know where to start looking.

Gumball Gumption posted:

A Belgian man committed suicide after spending 6 weeks discussing his eco-anxiety fears with a chatbot based on GPT-J

I don't think we're equipped for this. I don't know if we can be. I don't think we are going to react well to being able to generate artificial echo chambers for ourselves like this. I don't think the chatbot pushed the man to kill himself and I think even without the AI if there wasn't intervention he likely would have kept falling into his depression and anxiety but like all technology it seems to have amplified and sped up the process and made it easier and faster to talk yourself into doing something by generating a partner you identify with and who is encouraging you. It's not a new problem but it's louder and faster which seems to be the result of most technology.

This is a really sad story. I wish they would have released the chat logs with personal information removed to see what the chatbot was saying. I wonder if part of the problem with these things is that we are deliberately giving them human features outside of their actual text writing function. Like the bot was named 'Eliza', maybe we shouldn't name things with "human" names unless we agree there conscious or sentient in some way. Also, in the Vice article it shows a chat log between Vice and 'Eliza' and there is a picture of an attractive woman as the avatar of 'Eliza'. AI systems and chat systems probably shouldn't be given avatars like that because it increases people's connection to them.

This story seems like a really good intersection of the ongoing AI ethics vs. AI safety conversation. This can be seen as an issue of AI misalignment causing the death of somebody who interacted with the chat program. To me that's a pretty clear real-world consequence of AI misalignment that is happening right now. But it also show's a clear lack of AI ethics in its release. Where are the regulations for this stuff? Are there avenues to determine what or who is responsible for the death of this man? It was made with an open-source language model so this is just the beginning of these stories, and he is not going to be the only person who commits suicide in this way.

What I mean is either more robust AI ethics or AI safety could have prevented this mans death so they are both worth discussing.

gurragadon fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 9, 2023

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

GlyphGryph posted:

So lots of folks over the last few pages view the training of these models as already illegal under copyright law. This is what I dont get about this argument. Maybe I don't understand existing copyright law properly. I probably don't!

The lawsuits are asserting it is illegal, but that to some extent is being conflated with it actually being illegal, which it is likely not, regardless of how we feel about that.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

I doubt that anyone can answer that for certain right now because all of this is up to interpretation in court.

As you say, the models use a lot of copyrighted data for training. So the first question is whether or not this counts as fair use.

Does storing and distributing this count? How much is the company vs the user's responsibility? I dunno. There's a pretty good article on this here:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2023/04/stable-diffusion-copyright-lawsuits-could-be-a-legal-earthquake-for-ai/

which also has an interesting comment about contributory infringement that I'm not going to try summarizing:

While it is possible for stable diffusion to produce near identical outputs, this is very much an outlier situation where duplicate training images are way over-represented in the training data. Its also unlikely to happen unless you are already setting out to make a copy of an image. This is actually harmful to the model that nobody wants and is something that is fixable.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

GlyphGryph posted:

In addition to the other stuff already mentioned where the plaintiffs allege that the models effectively contain compressed copies of the training data, there's another issue too:
there actually was copying happening here. The LAION-5B dataset was gathered by a technically-distinct nonprofit by scraping about 5 billion images from the web, many of which were copyrighted. And then Stability AI copied all those images over to their servers for the purposes of actually training the Stable Diffusion model.

Having a third party entity download copyrighted images from Artstation or Getty or wherever and then pass them across to you is technically copyright violation all on its own.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
By my understanding LAION only ever itself contained a record of what the images were and where they were stored, not a copy of any of the individual images themselves.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

In addition to the other stuff already mentioned where the plaintiffs allege that the models effectively contain compressed copies of the training data, there's another issue too:
there actually was copying happening here. The LAION-5B dataset was gathered by a technically-distinct nonprofit by scraping about 5 billion images from the web, many of which were copyrighted. And then Stability AI copied all those images over to their servers for the purposes of actually training the Stable Diffusion model.

Having a third party entity download copyrighted images from Artstation or Getty or wherever and then pass them across to you is technically copyright violation all on its own.

The route taken in court will probably be a fair use argument, using Google Books as a precedent. Many of the same copyright violations were practiced in that framework re: the copying of works without permission and the modification and redistribution of them. It's not a 1:1 match, Google Books assigns attribution, AI generators don't provide direct copies of the data sources they draw from (most of the time) but I think it underlines that the mechanics of how they used the works might not matter that much. The argument they'll make isn't that they didn't copy the works or use them, but that the use is transformative enough to be allowed regardless.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Apr 10, 2023

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

reignonyourparade posted:

By my understanding LAION only ever itself contained a record of what the images were and where they were stored, not a copy of any of the individual images themselves.

Common Crawl (which is what LAION was based on) did actually contain copies of everything. But, Common Crawl uses a fair use justification for it the same way archive.org does, and they actually do have a DMCA takedown process (that they probably don't legally have to do, but they do anyway) and they identify themselves when they scrape.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

That's probably a philosophical argument tbh, are the NN weights in the model fundamentally different from the the quantized coefficients in highly compressed jpeg? There was this article about using Stable Diffusion as an image compression mechanism:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2022/09/better-than-jpeg-researcher-discovers-that-stable-diffusion-can-compress-images/
jpeg and other image formats generally require the encoding/decoding algorithms to be relatively small and efficient so that images can be saved or displayed quickly, so it is not a particularly fair comparison. If someone wanted to create an image format that prioritized reducing file size over all else, I am sure they could succeed. But it would probably not become very popular, because people aren't willing to wait five minutes to decode every image, even though the image file sizes would be slightly less than if they were jpeg.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Ridiculous compression like the paqs do exist, and actually use neural networks in some way (though I don't know how, I never looked deeply into them) and have specific formats for compressed jpegs.

But, yeah, it's exactly that. When something takes days to decompress it's not super practical

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If the question is "is there a fundamental difference between a latent space in a trained neural net and a general lossy compression algorithm," the answer is yes - image and video compression algorithms rely on the fact that Fourier transforms generalize. In other words, you can store an image of anything. Latent spaces don't generalize this way because you can only store the kinds of images the system was trained on (and I guess any weird emergent areas that happen to exist, but those are probably not useful). Does this matter in practice with a huge system? Maybe - depends on the use case and the size of the model.

You could make the argument that makes them different enough that they should have different legal standards, although the line is definitely being blurred by basically every new phone having an AI photo enhancer now.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I wasn't actually suggesting that we use SD as a compression mechanism :confused:

The point I was making was that the models ingest and store some sort of representation of the source images in the neural networks, and can reproduce them easily (for overtrained cases like Mona Lisa or that lady there) or with lots of tokens like for the alpaca. And that whether or not this could be considered infringement in itself or contributory infringement is an open question imo.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

I wasn't actually suggesting that we use SD as a compression mechanism :confused:

The point I was making was that the models ingest and store some sort of representation of the source images in the neural networks, and can reproduce them easily (for overtrained cases like Mona Lisa or that lady there) or with lots of tokens like for the alpaca. And that whether or not this could be considered infringement in itself or contributory infringement is an open question imo.

I don't know about anyone else, but I was responding to this specifically:

mobby_6kl posted:

are the NN weights in the model fundamentally different from the the quantized coefficients in highly compressed jpeg

And from a technical standpoint, the answer is "yes." From a legal standpoint, :shrug:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

KillHour posted:

I don't know about anyone else, but I was responding to this specifically:

And from a technical standpoint, the answer is "yes." From a legal standpoint, :shrug:

Yeah technically I understand what exactly the difference is, the question here I think is more legally (or morally).

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Doesn't the "is it copywriter infringement?" question also have a sort of exception built in regarding what the states interest is? I wonder where even if a judge decides "well it's technically infringement but ruling that way would overly negatively effect the United States in regards to the development of new and novel technologies..."?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

Doesn't the "is it copywriter infringement?" question also have a sort of exception built in regarding what the states interest is? I wonder where even if a judge decides "well it's technically infringement but ruling that way would overly negatively effect the United States in regards to the development of new and novel technologies..."?

That's basically what fair use is, and it's the catchall for anything that needs to be done on a case by case basis.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

gurragadon posted:

Do you have any thoughts on it or anything I could read? I'd be interested in this too but don't really know where to start looking.

The whole thing kind of points to a problem with the whole discussion. "Intelligence" isn't a particularly good word for *anything*, its more of an intuition than a scientifically definable term.

The proof here is that its extremely difficult to construct a scientifically plausible test that would categorize *all* current commonly recognized biological Intelligent entities as intelligent, and *all* current AIs as false intelligence without overfitting the definition into a tautology ("Ie AI is artificial because its AI")

Ie what sort of test would correctly recognize me, a Chimpanze (and arguably my Cat), Albert Einstein and my cousin with a significant learning disability as intelligent, but would declare Eliza (the original rules based Chatbot from the 1960s), ChatGPT, my Laptop and AlphaGO cas unintelligent without degenerating into un-useful claims like "It can not run on electricity" or "It must posess life".

Its a term that belongs in a category of terms I would define as "Words that would have made Wittgenstein throw a chair at you". Its a word that is too caught up in various incompatible language games to actually be capable of pointing to a real external referrant. But we intuitively share a rough feel for the meaning well enough we can generally use it without being misunderstood. And thats a problem.

quote:

This is a really sad story. I wish they would have released the chat logs with personal information removed to see what the chatbot was saying. I wonder if part of the problem with these things is that we are deliberately giving them human features outside of their actual text writing function. Like the bot was named 'Eliza', maybe we shouldn't name things with "human" names unless we agree there conscious or sentient in some way. Also, in the Vice article it shows a chat log between Vice and 'Eliza' and there is a picture of an attractive woman as the avatar of 'Eliza'. AI systems and chat systems probably shouldn't be given avatars like that because it increases people's connection to them.

Honestly I think it was named ELIZA due to the history of the name in AI research.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELIZA

duck monster fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 10, 2023

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Intelligence, in the AI field, is about solving problems, specifically novel problems, with things being more intelligent as the novelty, difficulty, efficacy and speed of problem solving increases.

By that measurement, a cockroach or fly is significantly more intelligent than ELIZA. I don't know if ELIZA exhibits any intelligence at all by that metric. But even most basic game AI would exhibit some intelligence, by that metrics... which is, I think, in keeping with both people's intuitions and the working definitions of actual AI researchers, although the intelligence is obviously limited. ChatGPT would be significantly more intelligent than them, and GPT-4 significantly more intelligent than ChatGPT. Also many things we don't think of AI's at all would probably qualify, but honestly that all seems... fine?

I don't think that's a bad or not useful definition, and I don't know why we have to say all existing AI isn't actually I. In fact, the name AI sort of implies the exact opposite - it's the class of software we do consider to have some level of intelligence, no? (although you seem to be operating under a misapprehension about a different word, here: Artificial does not have anything to do with being fake or not real or "false", and I don't know why you think it does? Lots of artificial things are very real. Guns are artificial, but they will still kill you. All art is artificial, its literally in the name, but it doesn't mean all art is fake. Artificial intelligence is by definition real intelligence, it is just... artificial. Man-made, with intent, rather than naturally developing)

I think a bigger problem is that popular hype doesn't actually care about intelligence. It cares about ability to mimic human-like behaviour. And "humanity" is a much shittier way to think about AI than "intelligence", in a lot of ways! Especially since it basically writes off 90% of AI research as not worth mentioning because it's not "humanlike" (and similarly writes off most of the really intelligent, really dangerous possibilities of AI as not even worth talking or thinking about, both real and hypothetical)

Even the vaunted "AGI", the gold standard of intelligence breadth, doesn't mean it has to be remotely human-like, its just an intelligence with a very high ability to deal with a wide variety of problems.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 10, 2023

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I like the definition of intelligence that's basically "able to pursue and accomplish arbitrary goals in practice." Because if something is competent at doing that, it doesn't really practically matter how it does it. A robot that is designed to make paperclips but is incidentally really good at killing all humans is defacto intelligent, because that's a thing we care about measuring.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

duck monster posted:

Honestly I think it was named ELIZA due to the history of the name in AI research.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELIZA

I didn't know about ELIZA but that was pretty interesting.

Wikipedia posted:

ELIZA's creator, Weizenbaum, intended the program as a method to explore communication between humans and machines. He was surprised, and shocked, that individuals attributed human-like feelings to the computer program, including Weizenbaum's secretary.

It's really something that the problem is the same as it was in the 1960s. But this kind of is my point about how we need to deliberately "de-anthropomorphize" chatbots probably. Why Weizenbaum is "surprised and shocked" is beyond me, he gave it a human name himself. He was giving it human qualities by comparing it to Eliza Doolittle, so he wanted to draw the line on anthropomorphizing before some people, but it is hard to avoid it completely.

But an early chatbot like ELIZA could convince people by just reflecting their questions back onto them. The chatbot that the Belgian man was speaking to are so much more sophisticated. It's not really a surprise that somebody would form a deeper connection to it. And then giving it a human name, which is displayed as 'Eliza' not 'ELIZA' makes it feel more human. Then they give it a thumbnail picture of a woman. I know it's a joke about people falling in love with robots and stuff, but it seems like were getting to the point where people are. People are committing suicide at least partially because of these things.

It makes me wonder if the guy was talking to CHATBOTv.5.3 with no thumbnail if he would have been so connected to it. To OpenAI's credit, it's just called ChatGPT, but theres so many sites to talk to characters. At https://beta.character.ai/ people can talk to "Einstein", "Taylor Swift", "Bill Gates", etc. People who have real lives with real stories that others connect to outside of chatting with a fake version that is trying to simulate them. That gives people even more connection and puts more weight to what the chatbot is saying to the user.

On a side note, I started reading "Computer Power and Human Reason" by Weizenbaum and it's like this debate is the same as it was in 1976. It's a good look back into the development of this kind of thinking.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I know it's reddit so of course it's insane, but it's still a lot of people. Maybe it came up in this thread, but go check out the subreddit for Paradot to see a whole lot of people very seriously anthropomorphize AI in a way that's not really just funny.

I think whatever Paradot is, they're not even very complex models since there was something about them advertising "millions to billions of parameters" which is not as exciting if you know how large most models are. But, regardless there are people taking it very seriously. As far as I can tell it's just a role play thing for some people but there were enough people where, I'm not completely sure, but I think it wasn't just that.

And I wasn't so much thinking "What if the AI tells them to kill themselves?" before, but more like, what if the company pulls the plug and they've made a really messed up emotional attachment to this thing like it was real and now it's just gone? Or what if they change the model in some way that ruins it for a bunch of people? Or, start heavily monetizing things that they need to continue their "relationship?"

Like I'm not saying "you better not take these dude's AI they fell in love with!" I think that shouldn't be a thing that's happening (but I don't know a way to keep it from happening) but I just think it could be really bad when that happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

GlyphGryph posted:

Intelligence, in the AI field, is about solving problems, specifically novel problems, with things being more intelligent as the novelty, difficulty, efficacy and speed of problem solving increases.

By that measurement, a cockroach or fly is significantly more intelligent than ELIZA. I don't know if ELIZA exhibits any intelligence at all by that metric. But even most basic game AI would exhibit some intelligence, by that metrics... which is, I think, in keeping with both people's intuitions and the working definitions of actual AI researchers, although the intelligence is obviously limited. ChatGPT would be significantly more intelligent than them, and GPT-4 significantly more intelligent than ChatGPT. Also many things we don't think of AI's at all would probably qualify, but honestly that all seems... fine?

I don't think that's a bad or not useful definition, and I don't know why we have to say all existing AI isn't actually I. In fact, the name AI sort of implies the exact opposite - it's the class of software we do consider to have some level of intelligence, no? (although you seem to be operating under a misapprehension about a different word, here: Artificial does not have anything to do with being fake or not real or "false", and I don't know why you think it does? Lots of artificial things are very real. Guns are artificial, but they will still kill you. All art is artificial, its literally in the name, but it doesn't mean all art is fake. Artificial intelligence is by definition real intelligence, it is just... artificial. Man-made, with intent, rather than naturally developing)

I think a bigger problem is that popular hype doesn't actually care about intelligence. It cares about ability to mimic human-like behaviour. And "humanity" is a much shittier way to think about AI than "intelligence", in a lot of ways! Especially since it basically writes off 90% of AI research as not worth mentioning because it's not "humanlike" (and similarly writes off most of the really intelligent, really dangerous possibilities of AI as not even worth talking or thinking about, both real and hypothetical)

Even the vaunted "AGI", the gold standard of intelligence breadth, doesn't mean it has to be remotely human-like, its just an intelligence with a very high ability to deal with a wide variety of problems.

Honestly I suspect 90% of the reason most dismiss the safety issue is the fields kind of captured by a particular techbro pseudo-rationalist scene (To be clear the "lesswrong" crowd are *not* rationalist, by any standard philosophical definition. ) leading to absolute gibberish like the "Shut it all down" article and the like. Its a crowd who just dont have the intellectual toolkit to solve the problems and that worries me because I actually do think theres some genuine danger implicit in the idea of AGI, but if no one sane is properly investigating the idea , if we DO start seeing signs that we might have some problems, we might have serious problems.