Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Much as audiophiles have "DBT-free" forums to discuss audio experiences without the scourge of double-blind comparison, drag strips will have timing-free nights.

EDIT: stupid snipe, so enjoy this stupid video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AJCdmW33fM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Armacham posted:

I prefer an analog oil

Is that what amsoil stands for? I guess that makes sense.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Computer viking posted:

If you take that corner of the market, can I go for the Sick Gaming Mods? Ultra low latency pedal transducers with optical sensing, high refresh rate HUD, yellow window tint that improves your response time, water cooling for both the batteries and onboard computing, programmable RGB lighting on every surface? Cool paint jobs and viewing windows for the HV system?

I feel like there's a large market for "gaming nerds who want to style their car like their PC". Far lower profit margins, but probably higher volume.

I'm all right with this, as long as every component is a worse quality drop-shipped version of the OEM part in a fancy "anodized" housing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

in case you were wondering how they make the discount oil filters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiKbyi9fEmE

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Sagebrush posted:

nothing low quality about these

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Look at all the awesome jobs these people have. Automation is bad.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

LifeSunDeath posted:

nothing low quality about these

wait until you see this one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiBQyAOyTw0

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Those hands crafted wheels are better than new.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Powershift posted:

The acceleration just *feels* warmer, you know, just a little fuller and more rich.

I trust my butt dyno over your "facts" and "figures"

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Elviscat posted:

I'm all right with this, as long as every component is a worse quality drop-shipped version of the OEM part in a fancy "anodized" housing.

I was thinking a mix of that and things that are arguably better in some way but completely pointless - like importing expensive Japanese keyswitches for the AC controls.

E: Actually, you want proper positive feedback, not Topre's light smoothness. Does anyone handmake reproduction IBM beamsprings?

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Apr 9, 2023

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

???????????????

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

`Nemesis posted:

???????????????

Driver doesn't want to scratch up the bed.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

`Nemesis posted:

???????????????

If only he had a pickup

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's a race modification. Until they switched to titanium feelers a few years ago, F1 cars had a plank of wood mounted under the car to make sure cars weren't being run too low. The plank was measured after the race and it needed to be above a certain thickness.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
The inevitable result as beds get shorter and cabs get longer.

A lift kit would let him fit more lumber in under that bad boy.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

`Nemesis posted:

???????????????

That image shows how utterly pointless crew cab trucks are.

I can do more with the roof rack on my econobox than most people can do with those trucks

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
That's more a dumb toolbox fail than a failure because crewcab with its appearingly eight feet long bed. So unless you're running a headache rack or a proper 12' flatbed, yeah there's gonna be stupid poo poo going down.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

That's more a dumb toolbox fail than a failure because crewcab with its appearingly eight feet long bed. So unless you're running a headache rack or a proper 12' flatbed, yeah there's gonna be stupid poo poo going down.

Is that a LB?

I've done the whole over the mirror and lashed to the little pop-up loops in the rear tie-down hole (is there a word for these?) before. It... worked, but made me wish for a ladder rack the whole 2.5 miles down the road.

It would be really hard for me to go back to a short bed after having a few 8 foot beds. The tool box eats up too much room and you kinda need that with a single cab. Can't see myself with a crew cab either. Really fucks visibility when towing.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
e: remembered I don't care about this debate

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Apr 9, 2023

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

madeintaipei posted:

Is that a LB?

Lol yeah you right that's a shortbed at 82" long. It looks so much bigger than it really is. Add that to the pile of pointless that is this truck.

I'll never own a crew cab truck. Just buy a van at that point.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
e: remembered I don't care about this debate

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Apr 9, 2023

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

cursedshitbox posted:

I'll never own a crew cab truck. Just buy a van at that point.

Exactly, or truck based SUV, at least I could put a roof rack on it and actually fit some 2x4's

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

cursedshitbox posted:

Is that a tool box or a tri-fold tonneau?

Anyway, I figured they were subframe connectors

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

`Nemesis posted:

???????????????

Wrong thread, this is just an innovative new method of making bentwood.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
i mean, i read your comments, but what was this person trying to do, for real?

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope

`Nemesis posted:

i mean, i read your comments, but what was this person trying to do, for real?

Drive home with some lumber that won't fit in the bed.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

Shalhavet posted:

Drive home with some lumber that won't fit in the bed.

My first thought was that it was an attempt to hold a broken chassis together, somehow the reality is even dumber.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I had a set of jaydee-em power folding mirrors for my old shitbox 92 camry that the wiper tracks were worn away on. I just glued some thin copper "trace repair" strips over the worn out bits and it was "fixed forever".

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

coldpudding posted:

My first thought was that it was an attempt to hold a broken chassis together, somehow the reality is even dumber.

that was my guess, or some crazy way of trying to support the trailer hitch? just moving lumber is some serious wtf

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I'm not saying it is good, but the more I look at that truck, it looks like a tonneau cover not a tool box, and there appears to be some poo poo poking over the top of the bed at the back.

In other words, maybe the bed is already full of some poo poo?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Today's failure: my fuckin tire.

In late February I got a flat and dropped the rim off at the shop my equipment manager told me to, it took them a week to get a "new" tire in. Today I was merrily driving along when something went bang thump and TPMS poo poo a brick. My spare is getting lots of miles lately.

New tire, indeed.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Arrath posted:

Today's failure: my fuckin tire.

In late February I got a flat and dropped the rim off at the shop my equipment manager told me to, it took them a week to get a "new" tire in. Today I was merrily driving along when something went bang thump and TPMS poo poo a brick. My spare is getting lots of miles lately.

New tire, indeed.

What's the year code on that tire?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Probably sometime from the Bush administration.

I've had a tire shed the thread (all of it) once, but it was a bed-mounted spare (and I don't mean under the bed - it was mounted to the side of the bed, so exposed to sun all those years) that was original to the truck. The truck was a 1980 with a late 79 build date. I had to use it in 1996, it made it about 30 miles.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 10, 2023

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

SlowBloke posted:

What's the year code on that tire?

20, if it's to be believed.

E: after a walk around it looks like the shop rotated them when they put the rim back on, the other tires are either 24 or 2520 codes, while the driver rear is a 1720 that looks marginally less poo poo.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 10, 2023

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

`Nemesis posted:

???????????????

Absolutely incredible big brain time on this. I also love when pickups have long stock and they run it through the cooler grabber window into the cab. I get it, long stock, like 14+ feet is tough to deal with. If it's strong enough though, just hang it off the tailgate with a flag! I had 16' trim and did it over the tailgate and over the headache rack on my flatbed which meant it was supported in two places about 9' apart. If I had to do it with my crew cab then I would have used a blanket on the cab and done it similarly, but I would have hated it.

Crew cabs rule though for living with. Underseat storage in the back, lots of legroom. Not ideal for things you don't want outside as luggage though.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I was considering a crew cab with 6.5' bed truck to handle both people and material moving but it wouldn't fit in my garage.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Some of the trim I've been picking up is so delicate (1/2 quarter round... 16 feet long) That I end up using the trailer ladder rack for it even if I'm using the truck. An enclosed 3500 van would definitely be better for this, or a ladder rack on the truck, but that gets in the way of everything else I do with it so I haven't installed one yet.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
With a chevy 2500 van, we could carry 12' boards inside if we brought them into the passenger space and 16' sections if we brought a 12' board or two to give more support on the 8' long roof rack. Or had the back door open a bit... That was a good work vehicle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

The Sienna can carry 10 ft lumber flat on the floor.

(ever since I pulled the front passenger seat)