Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Xiahou Dun posted:

It’s also a show where everyone constantly drinks really nice bourbon.

My mom has come home so many times to us and a half empty bottle of Blanton’s, day drunk, just slurring “WALDRUP GOGGLES IS A REALLY UNDER RATED ACTOR!” at each other.

deadwood has the same effect on me, which unfortunately makes the show hard to follow at times

i don't know how wild westerners managed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
By and large, they didn't. With the exception of Al Swearengen and, maybe, George Hearst I don't think any of the of the characters knew what the gently caress was happening in Deadwood. And the only reason Al knew what was happening in Deadwood was because he just defaulted to assuming the worst possible thing was going to happen all the time.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Deadwood is my all-time fave, but on rewatches I think they softened Al too much after the pilot. At first he seems clever but brutal and shortsighted (swindling rich tourists and killing them when they get suspicious, letting his anti-semitism get in the way of doing business with Seth and Sol, beating Trixie), but by season 2 he's become a longsighted civic paragon, spending or forgoing tens of thousands of dollars for the good of the camp and unspecified future gains (at what point was his land supposed to become more valuable after everyone else got bought out by the Hearst operation anyway?) It feels like they basically shifted Al's original character onto Tolliver when he arrives and Powers Boothe does a great job but I can't help but think Seth and Al's arcs would have been stronger if Al had stayed a little meaner and Seth didn't fall in line with him so quickly after becoming sheriff.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Xiahou Dun posted:

Justified was a show that my dad and I would save up to watch together when I’d go come up to visit. And just to be sociable we’d try to schedule our weird little binges when my mom was out of the house on like a Saturday afternoon.

It’s also a show where everyone constantly drinks really nice bourbon.

My mom has come home so many times to us and a half empty bottle of Blanton’s, day drunk, just slurring “WALDRUP GOGGLES IS A REALLY UNDER RATED ACTOR!” at each other.

Timthee Elephant and Waldrup Goggles had some of the greatest onscreen chemistry of all time.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

reversefungi posted:

Timthee Elephant and Waldrup Goggles had some of the greatest onscreen chemistry of all time.

It’s like you were there.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

They mined coal together :shobon:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
In the deeeep dark hills of eastern Kentucky

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Nearing the end of season 3 and the scene with Cutty trying to get his boxing gym permits reminded me very strongly of this scene in an old Asterix cartoon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsotCuGVi6k&t=2473s but I guess it is a pretty common theme in showing how bureaucracy works (or doesn't).

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
While we're pitching shows that you might have missed, I'll bang the drum for Patriot, which is still on Prime. It's a dryly comic deconstruction of James Bond that has surprising heart and interesting characters.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

While we're pitching shows that you might have missed, I'll bang the drum for Patriot, which is still on Prime. It's a dryly comic deconstruction of James Bond that has surprising heart and interesting characters.

And a ton of actually catchy singer-songwriter acoustic guitar folk music. That is about choking dudes or being stuck in an Iranian torture prison, yes, but still.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

The Patriot ruled, and I think most everyone missed it.

It’s very Coen-ish style dark comedy, and would probably be right up the alley of many of the regular posters ITT.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

MrMojok posted:

The Patriot ruled, and I think most everyone missed it.

It’s very Coen-ish style dark comedy, and would probably be right up the alley of many of the regular posters ITT.

Patriot. The definite article would mean that weird Mel Gibson movie that was somehow racist to the British.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Oh yes, you’re right, my bad.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

MrMojok posted:

Oh yes, you’re right, my bad.

Honestly that was 70-80% just because I wanted to rag on The Patriot.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I think this is the second or third time I've heard Patriot brought up in a context that makes me perk my ears up (as in, coming from people whose tastes i trust) so I suppose that's me checking it out then

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Patriot is incredible and it’s a drat shame more people don’t know about it.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
If I end up down the Ricky Jay youtube rabbit hole cause this thread veered into Deadwood land....

I had poo poo to do today, guys.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well poo poo, now you said Ricky Jay's name so I have no choice but to go stare in awe at him doing card tricks.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Well now that people are talking Ricky Jay I guess I gotta go back and watch Mystery Men lol

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Jewmanji posted:

Well now that people are talking Ricky Jay I guess I gotta go back and watch Mystery Men lol

Boogie Nights or House of Games

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I didn't know until recently but David Simon's original plan was to have a politics/city hall spin-off after season 3 so that Carcetti could have his own show running side-by-side with The Wire, one show for the police&drugs and one for the politics.
HBO execs didn't like that.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I think I agree with HBO on this one

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

christmas boots posted:

I think I agree with HBO on this one

Like NBC forcing Seinfeld to make one of the main characters female, sometimes networks get it right I guess

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
One of my favorite low-key dynamics in this show is Lester nursing a grudge just as big as Mcnulty's that fucks up Daniels and Pearlman repeatedly but mostly getting away with it just through fatherly affect and not openly announcing his disobedience to anyone who will listen.

https://i.imgur.com/ukxutjt.mp4

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
he also has the power of the look that says "i'm the father you never had, and I dont want to be disappointed in you ever again"
if mcnulty could do that he'd be unstoppable

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Randallteal posted:

One of my favorite low-key dynamics in this show is Lester nursing a grudge just as big as Mcnulty's that fucks up Daniels and Pearlman repeatedly but mostly getting away with it just through fatherly affect and not openly announcing his disobedience to anyone who will listen.

https://i.imgur.com/ukxutjt.mp4

I love the scene where he chews McNulty out for being obsessed with Stringer and insufficiently grateful to Daniels for getting him off that boat, but as soon as he's out of earshot the paternal aspect drops from his face and he's like "get me on that cell phone NOW"

I think that's what happens anyway, I might be conflating two scenes but it's the gist of what he's feeling

Stuff like that is why I don't completely share the opinion that his turn in season 5 is out of the blue; i think he's always had that selfish streak in him, it's just maybe heightened to a not completely earned degree with the serial killer plot

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I love when Clarke Peters shows up in random movies and shows where I'd never have noticed him before for whatever reason but now I'm like "holy poo poo"

When he was the remote outpost town leader in that Foundation show I was like "hey it's Lester Fremen"

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I just watched the first John Wick again a few days ago and forgot he was in it. He, uh, isn't in it very long though.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Data Graham posted:

I love when Clarke Peters shows up in random movies and shows where I'd never have noticed him before for whatever reason but now I'm like "holy poo poo"

When he was the remote outpost town leader in that Foundation show I was like "hey it's Lester Fremen"

For me this was Do The Right Thing.

Also, Freamon was suspect from the beginning of the show when he started dating someone who was a witness to the crime he was investigating.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Wiltsghost posted:

I just watched the first John Wick again a few days ago and forgot he was in it. He, uh, isn't in it very long though.

Yeah, exactly same here, that's what reminded me lol.

Jewmanji posted:

Giancarlo Esposito :eyepop:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Data Graham posted:

Giancarlo Esposito :eyepop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WMErc1n6Ks&t=11s

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

I love the scene where he chews McNulty out for being obsessed with Stringer and insufficiently grateful to Daniels for getting him off that boat, but as soon as he's out of earshot the paternal aspect drops from his face and he's like "get me on that cell phone NOW"

I think that's what happens anyway, I might be conflating two scenes but it's the gist of what he's feeling

Stuff like that is why I don't completely share the opinion that his turn in season 5 is out of the blue; i think he's always had that selfish streak in him, it's just maybe heightened to a not completely earned degree with the serial killer plot

My favourite Lester scene is actually a very small moment. It's in season 2 where he sits with Daniels and lays down why they need to take the case of the trafficked women.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Data Graham posted:

drat I forgot he was in it. That means two actors from The Wire were in John Wick, him and Lance Reddick (RIP)

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I just had to go check because I thought Dean Winters was also in an episode of The Wire but I was actually remembering him being in Oz

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Pirate Radar posted:

I just had to go check because I thought Dean Winters was also in an episode of The Wire but I was actually remembering him being in Oz

Ha! I did the same thing, but I think I was remembering him from Law & Order.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Jewmanji posted:

Also, Freamon was suspect from the beginning of the show when he started dating someone who was a witness to the crime he was investigating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjjV01FBtv8&t=104s

(attempting to jump to the "Lester are we still cops?" line if that timestamp hosed up)

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Jewmanji posted:

He also gives Bunk this lecture about picking up younger women at a bar, which is pretty rich coming from him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DHsUPMygZE&t=25s

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Gaz-L posted:

My favourite Lester scene is actually a very small moment. It's in season 2 where he sits with Daniels and lays down why they need to take the case of the trafficked women.

Mine is in S1 where he goes to the gym and produces the Barksdale Golden Gloves poster without a word.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Lol. For me it's season 2, when he gets detailed back to the unit and asks right off "So who's our target?" Prez or Daniels I think points at the board with just a picture on it, and Lester says, "oh, frank sobotka?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Data Graham posted:

Lester Fremen