Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I mean, that article concludes with.

quote:

Meanwhile, on the message board of the Integrated Undersea Surveillance System Caesar Alumni Association (IUSSCAA), and in response to Amick’s video analysis of the newly unclassified Seawolf documents, Bruce Rule, a naval acoustic and SOSUS expert who testified at the Thresher inquiry, has stated:

“This YouTube video is false, the Seawolf report the presenter is reading from is correct, but the final report certified it was false readings. Seawolf was confused by the active sonar and noise created by the destroyers and the diesel submarine Sea Owl searching for Thresher on 11 April 1963, the day after she was lost. She mistook all sounds from the searching ships as banging on the hull and sonar pings from Thresher. It was a mistake.”

Honestly I literally can't imagine a casualty that causes a submarine to sink from x' to y' over the course of 24 hours, it's a completey ludicrous idea, and false sonar returns is far more plausible.

Like, that's not how depth control works, if they had 24 hours they had time for EMBT to thaw, if EMBT didn't get them to the surface, their sink rate would have to be far higher than y-x'/24 hours. If they lost all electric, again, EMBT would thaw eventually and allow them to the surface, if they didn't lose all electric power, why weren't they calling for help?

Hypoxia and just falling asleep at the controls makes more sense, there's abso-loving-lutely no way they slowly sank out for 24 hours. That's horseshit, and those "reports" from 575 saying "they didn't bang 5 times but they did 3" are suspicious as gently caress.

I am in no way prepared to believe those onboard had 24 hours to find positive buoyancy AND somehow failed to find a way to the surface, it's bull pucky and shenanigans.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

If you want horror stories of people who were alive well after their boat couldn't reach the surface,

quote:

Kursk is what you're looking for

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Elviscat posted:

I mean, that article concludes with.

Honestly I literally can't imagine a casualty that causes a submarine to sink from 1300' to 2000' over the course of 24 hours, it's a completey ludicrous idea, and false sonar returns is far more plausible.

Like, that's not how depth control works, if they had 24 hours they had time for EMBT to thaw, if EMBT didn't get them to the surface, their sink rate would have to be far higher than 900'/24 hours. If they lost all electric, again, EMBT would thaw eventually and allow them to the surface, if they didn't lose all electric power, why weren't they calling for help?

Hypoxia and just falling asleep at the controls makes more sense, there's abso-loving-lutely no way they slowly sank out for 24 hours. That's horseshit, and those "reports" from 575 saying "they didn't bang 5 times but they did 3" are suspicious as gently caress.

I am in no way prepared to believe those onboard had 24 hours to find positive buoyancy AND somehow failed to find a way to the surface, it's bull pucky and shenanigans.

Yeah this, it wouldn't make sense for the emergency blow to not surface them like a loving cork if their sink rate was 900'/24h, since those tanks can blast a boat to the surface like a bath toy, if they can push enough water out to make the vessel buoyant. If they manage "neutral" buoyancy with an EMBT blow, they're going to sink a hell of a lot faster than 900'/24h, since their flooding is obviously not under control, all they would have bought is a couple minutes to pray.

caveat I am not a bubble head at all, but the chicken switches will put almost anything except for an actively dying sub on the surface.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

There's just no way you wouldn't have heard that one weird A-ganger jerking off like his life depended on it on passive, the SONAR trace would have looked like a skeleton jerking off in a trash can, is all I'm saying.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Elviscat posted:

If you want horror stories of people who were alive well after their boat couldn't reach the surface,

Or from our own Navy, the S-4.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
MBT blows only work at test depth and above. Thats the whole point of test depth.

The reports I read before was pretty much that 600 page thing but condensed into around 50ish or so pages iirc. A lot of what I remember reading was the on sight reports I don't think sosus data was in it at all.

If the sosus data conflicted with the on sight reports I'll buy what sosus says for sure. I know some of the crazy stuff they were able to see.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

ded posted:

MBT blows only work at test depth and above. Thats the whole point of test depth.

This is completely and wholly factually incorrect.

"Test depth" is (crush depth)-(safety margin)

All the various systems are designed to work to crush depth, and a very simple pressure=volume ratio will show that EMBT is designed to show an extremely positive buoyancy margin below test depth.

Like, are you trying to make me War Thunder? EMBT is close to an order of magnitude higher then sea pressure at test depth, and the pressure difference between test and crush depth is gently caress-all. Weren't you a submariner? Apply some of what you know.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Apr 7, 2023

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
It was taught that way when I was in. Did they teach wrong or are you just trying to be that guy

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

This is like the night we got bored on midwatch in CDC and the TAO (all of whom that were in the rotation were P-3 pilots) explained thermocline and its cause and effect over the span of 6 hours. It was fascinating.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

ded posted:

It was taught that way when I was in. Did they teach wrong or are you just trying to be that guy

They taught you scuttlebutt instead of science :shrug:

If the sub was somehow still intact EMBT will get you positive buoyancy a lot of the way beyond crush. Just generally those margins disappear when you have something dragging you past test depth in the first place.

The lovely brazes that theoretically initiated the casualty would have exponentially gotten worse as they descended. Higher pressure for a higher leak rate, higher pressure causing more brazes to fail and start to leak.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Also be very careful with posting any numbers that are not quoted directly for an approved paper or article.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

ded posted:

They taught wrong.

It would be an insane way to design a safety system to start off with.

Second, and I'm not trying to be pedantic here, consider the pressure to volume proportionality, in a fixed volume P1*V1=P2*V2, right? So if my other 3 variables (EMBT tank pressure, EMBT Tank volume, EMBT tank+Ballast tank volume) we see that the volume in the EMBT tanks+ballast tanks would decrease linearly, if P1*V1=P2*V2 at test depth (i.e. the EMBT system can just perfectly empty the ballast tanks fully at test depth) with air volume in the system decreasing afterward.

But also consider, as depth/pressure increases so does buoyancy, also in a linear manner, so even if I can't fully empty my ballast tanks at crush depth, the amount of buoyancy I gain by pushing out what water I can, stays the same! You can replicate this at home using your bathtub and a soda bottle, notice that it requires increasingly higher pressure to push the bottle down as it goes deeper. If you open the bottle and hold it vertically, with the opening down, note that it partiality fills with water as you push it down, but completely empties by the time it's at the surface, but is significantly easier to push down to a given depth, this can be utilized to visualize the pressure/volume relationship as you increase depth.

It's .44 PSI per foot of seawater, for convenient math purposes.

Also it's irrelevant because the design criteria for EMBT is "completely empty the ballast tanks, at crush depth +10% margin, minimum"

I'm not trying to be 'that guy' and I know there's a poo poo ton of misinformation spread in the submarine community, and I'm sorry if I come off like an rear end in a top hat here.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Apr 7, 2023

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

Also be very careful with posting any numbers that are not quoted directly for an approved paper or article.

This makes it a pain to talk about this stuff, all the depth numbers I've quoted are from the article VVG posted, except 900' which is a math error.

Probably irrelevant because my stories from the 22 are way closer to skirting classification guidelines.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Elviscat posted:

They taught wrong.

[...]

Also it's irrelevant because the design criteria for EMBT is "completely empty the ballast tanks, at crush depth +10% margin, minimum"

Now you're teaching wrong. Unless the 22 does that specifically.

The criteria is a specified minimum amount of added positive buoyancy via water displaced. As you then climb and water pressure reduces, the air continues to expand, pushing more water out and shedding more ballast, until its eventually empty. You're not budging all of those many hundred tons of water all at once. But clearing up a nice new air bubble on top of all the tanks will give you a lot of sudden aid.

Its one of the many axis of those operation charts for flooding and dewatering vs depth, because you only have so much safe margin as you get down to the floor. It is a lot of margin, but the ocean is a lot of water that wants to get into the people tank.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah, I'm trying to simplify it, but it's absolutely designed to work to crush depth.

E: the 21 class does have freaky small ballast tho.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Apr 7, 2023

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

What would even be a possible situation in which the sub could hang out losing only 40 or so feet of depth an hour? Irreparable damage to some electrical components or generation, but not all? That in combination with failure of ballast? But given enough time the lines would thaw. While strange things can happen, a leak at depth is only going to decrease buoyancy, causing loss of depth to increase in rate, causing the leak rate to increase. For them to have hung around that long I would think they would need a way to evacuate some of the water, to pump it out, which would require some amount of power, and as depth increases the harder it is to pump out.

The Kursk only had initial survivors because it sank in water relatively shallow, the ship's length was longer than the depth of water in sank in. Had it been in open ocean it would have imploded as well. Submarines that start to sink either fix it pretty immediately/blow the ballast, or they start to sink faster.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
so when the crush depth is exceeded and the sub goes, is it just an instantaneous thing like I would imagine due to how physics works?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
It's more a statistical probability thing than a video game "You Died" prompt. You're still dead, barring incredible luck, but there are lots of different spicy possibilities for exactly how.

Black bars for horrific deaths

Soda can implosion remains the most likely. Once the hull starts deforming the dynamic pressure gradients start to propagate further deformation along microscopic metal grain boundaries.

If the hull does not collapse a catastrophic flooding casualty can theoretically kill you from the air compression and heating before you drown.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Drowning is probably only a likely cause of death for the initial casualty that causes the vessel to lose buoyancy and begin to sink. In an implosion event the thermodynamic conditions that exist when the implosion occurs rapidly increases temperature to extreme temperatures as the hull moves rapidly inwards at up to 2500 feet per second. From time of implosion beginning to the event being concluded is roughly a few milliseconds, a shorter time than the 25ms human response time.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

M_Gargantua posted:

It's more a statistical probability thing than a video game "You Died" prompt. You're still dead, barring incredible luck, but there are lots of different spicy possibilities for exactly how.

Black bars for horrific deaths

Soda can implosion remains the most likely. Once the hull starts deforming the dynamic pressure gradients start to propagate further deformation along microscopic metal grain boundaries.

If the hull does not collapse a catastrophic flooding casualty can theoretically kill you from the air compression and heating before you drown.

That is definitely up there on the scale of most horrifying things I've ever read.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Well at least it's fast enough to just blink you out w/ implosion. Thanks for explaining

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Elviscat posted:

They taught wrong.

It would be an insane way to design a safety system to start off with.

Second, and I'm not trying to be pedantic here, consider the pressure to volume proportionality, in a fixed volume P1*V1=P2*V2, right? So if my other 3 variables (EMBT tank pressure, EMBT Tank volume, EMBT tank+Ballast tank volume) we see that the volume in the EMBT tanks+ballast tanks would decrease linearly, if P1*V1=P2*V2 at test depth (i.e. the EMBT system can just perfectly empty the ballast tanks fully at test depth) with air volume in the system decreasing afterward.

But also consider, as depth/pressure increases so does buoyancy, also in a linear manner, so even if I can't fully empty my ballast tanks at crush depth, the amount of buoyancy I gain by pushing out what water I can, stays the same! You can replicate this at home using your bathtub and a soda bottle, notice that it requires increasingly higher pressure to push the bottle down as it goes deeper. If you open the bottle and hold it vertically, with the opening down, note that it partiality fills with water as you push it down, but completely empties by the time it's at the surface, but is significantly easier to push down to a given depth, this can be utilized to visualize the pressure/volume relationship as you increase depth.

It's .44 PSI per foot of seawater, for convenient math purposes.

Sure. But was it taught to you at BESS that the *correct* answer to "what is test depth" was that? I know it wasn't to me. It was driven home in both BESS and during basic sub quals that test depth was "the max depth that an EBT blow could get you to the surface without propulsion".

I know there are always huge safety margins built in to all sub gear. The navy has been paranoid as hell about the possibility of losing another submarine for good reason.

quote:

I'm not trying to be 'that guy' and I know there's a poo poo ton of misinformation spread in the submarine community, and I'm sorry if I come off like an rear end in a top hat here.

You're just being the nuke dissing the coner. Time as old as nuclear power.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

ded posted:

Sure. But was it taught to you at BESS that the *correct* answer to "what is test depth" was that? I know it wasn't to me. It was driven home in both BESS and during basic sub quals that test depth was "the max depth that an EBT blow could get you to the surface without propulsion".

I know there are always huge safety margins built in to all sub gear. The navy has been paranoid as hell about the possibility of losing another submarine for good reason.

It would appear that the Navy's definition of test depth does not take into account the ballast system directly. Perhaps it may take it into account inderectly.

https://www.secnav.navy.mil/doni/Directives/09000%20General%20Ship%20Design%20and%20Support/09-100%20Hull%20Structure%20Support/9110.1D.pdf

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

ded posted:

Old habits and all that.

Great news though, neither of us are ever going to test depth, or beyond, ever again, 'cause we're not in the fuckin' Navy anymore! :feelsgood:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
If anybody is getting puckered over the submarine stuff, the numbers they’ve given are all stuff you can work out with Excel and Derrett’s stability for masters and mates.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoyWSRBvS5I

Since we're talking about sinking ships, I remembered a really good documentary on the engineers of the Titanic from about 9 months ago. Super high production values for something you'd see on Youtube.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

FrozenVent posted:

If anybody is getting puckered over the submarine stuff, the numbers they’ve given are all stuff you can work out with Excel and Derrett’s stability for masters and mates.

I have no idea what that is but it's now on the reading list.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I have no idea what that is but it's now on the reading list.

It’s a stability textbook for merchant marine deck officer, not exactly riveting materials.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

FrozenVent posted:

It’s a stability textbook for merchant marine deck officer, not exactly riveting materials.

Don't kink shame.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

If you're desperate enough you can jerk it to anything.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

FrozenVent posted:

Well sure, ships are mostly welded now, right?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
how to trigger anyone who has been on a sub

amine

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

ded posted:

amine

honestly the horrible deployment smell that everyone always attributes to amine almost entirely disappeared once smoking was banned.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I cannot imagine being underway and not smoking. Smoking was great because it dulled your sense of smell and everything smelled like stale smoke. A smell much better than the other stuff around!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I cannot imagine being underway and not smoking. Smoking was great because it dulled your sense of smell and everything smelled like stale smoke. A smell much better than the other stuff around!

I never smoked or dipped but when we went underway (old busted surface ship, didn't go anywhere longer than a few weeks usually) I used to make space in my coffin locker for a couple-three logs of Copenhagen. I would wait until a couple days after the ship's store ran out - which they always did - and then sell them for $5 a can.

Paid for my drinking money most ports.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

ded posted:

amine

Not as bad as triggering a mine, I suppose.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

ded posted:

amine

Don't worry, the next gen stuff is no longer a volatile airborne menence.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

M_Gargantua posted:

Don't worry, the next gen stuff is no longer a volatile airborne menence.

Well thats no fun. How can the new guys get ruined clothes and that smell stuck into your mind for the rest of your life?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Depends on how well A-gang's maintaining the scrubbers too.

Saw one get to the point we blew through an entire tank in like 3 weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

FrozenVent posted:

Lol don't threaten me with a good time (Im a civil engineer, a former FC, and a Masters student. Dry materials outside my area of expertise are exactly my wheelhouse)

Stultus Maximus posted:

Don't kink shame.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Well sure, ships are mostly welded now, right?

Bravo.