Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/uaexplainers/status/1600815034116210689?t=fgm2233CUczUeD0nXoABVA&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
tbh the highlight of those mea culpa but not really articles is the blamegame that the papers put out.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m not clicking. where does it come from ?

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

no thanks

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

I hate tweets that start out "we need to talk about". bitch I'm reading what you typed. we aren't "talking" about anything

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

“Because Ukraine was locked in between two empires throughout the entire 19 century, a meaningful discussion about the flag and symbol that would represent the entirety of the Ukrainian nation truly started only at the beginning of the 20th century.”

If liberals find out about Galicia this way I’m going to lose my mind

“In Stefanyk’s 1922 novel Sons, the protagonist’s son calls for him to support the fight for Ukraine, describing Ukraine as the black soil and the red blood that he’s ready to spill for it.

This metaphor resonated with many of Stefanyk’s contemporaries”

Someone explain this kind of twee matter of fact tone liberals use to downplay things.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 03:49 on Apr 9, 2023

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

euphronius posted:

I’m not clicking. where does it come from ?

It has its origins in 19th-century Ukrainian nationalism, so therefore its totally irrelevant that Bandera used it as the flag for his branch of the OUN and its been widely adopted by modern Ukrainian nationalists because symbols always maintain their pure and innocent origins, like the swastika.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Spergin Morlock posted:

I hate tweets that start out "we need to talk about". bitch I'm reading what you typed. we aren't "talking" about anything

"we" is the codeword for "my ulterior motive"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Let's see what other topics Ukraine Explainers has threads about :

quote:

Why Russia's war in Ukraine is genocide.

What's wrong with #NotAllRussians

Why Ukraine will never surrender

Russia is fascist. Here's why.

What happened when Russia first invaded Ukraine in 2014

How the world got tricked into believing Ukraine had a Nazi problem

Why you're not anti-war if you're not against Russia

The Holodomor of 1932-1933, explained

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Frosted Flake posted:

“In Stefanyk’s 1922 novel Sons, the protagonist’s son calls for him to support the fight for Ukraine, describing Ukraine as the black soil and the red blood that he’s ready to spill for it.

:thunk:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Boy, I bet this person has some Very Interesting Opinions on what should happen to ethnic Russians in Crimea/Donetsk/Lughansk.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

gradenko_2000 posted:

The Mysterious Jews of Ukraine: Who Were They, and Where Did They Go?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

https://twitter.com/uaexplainers/status/1600815061207248902

oh ok I guess that clears that up

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

https://twitter.com/uaexplainers/status/1600815093209366528?s=20

Lol

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Along with 🇺🇦& 🇪🇺🚬

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Jesus Christ. They just come right out and say it. That's incredible.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Well, I learned something today.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Don't worry, they sufficiently cover political activities in the 40s:

https://twitter.com/uaexplainers/status/1600815069478420481

And nothing else happened.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Frosted Flake posted:

“Because Ukraine was locked in between two empires throughout the entire 19 century, a meaningful discussion about the flag and symbol that would represent the entirety of the Ukrainian nation truly started only at the beginning of the 20th century.”

Someone explain this kind of twee matter of fact tone liberals use to downplay things.

In his book My Struggle, Mr. Hitler simply pleads his case for "living space" and a positive future for the German people,

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Spergin Morlock posted:

"We need to talk about" is another way of saying "I'm going to monologue and god help you if you don't agree unconditionally with everything I say, so help me, I will scream at you, call you names and stamp my feet if you even tempt me."

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
oh well if the flag was never OFFICIALLY ratified and only flown in combat and uh non-combat, what can you even say?!?!

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

DancingShade posted:

"We need to talk about" is another way of saying "I'm going to monologue and god help you if you don't agree unconditionally with everything I say, so help me, I will scream at you, call you names and stamp my feet if you even tempt me."

Buckle up you cock-knuckled poo poo-dragons, we're taking a DEEP dive into something I just googled for 2 minutes: (1 of 245)

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

blood and soil eh

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

yellowcar posted:

blood and soil eh

soil and blood

Totally different

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

DancingShade posted:

yup

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

*Points to the over-the-top stereotypical 'Jewish' restaurant that the grifter guy went to* Found 'em!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
When Russia invaded Ukraine on February 24, 2022, we saw tonnes of misconceptions about Ukraine spread online. Too many people had trouble making sense of this war and, quite frankly, of Ukraine in general.

That's why we (Hi! We're Stas and Maria -- a couple of Ukrainians working in tech and cultural comms) decided that we've seen enough bad Ukrainian takes online and started producing explanatory cards on Ukraine and the Russian invasion. Our content got millions of views on social media -- and that's how we realized there was a need for clear, shareable, and fact-checked content on Ukraine delivered by real Ukrainians.

We now create biweekly articles and 10-card explainers about Ukraine's history, identity, and politics -- trying to undo decades of colonial myths and poor coverage of Ukraine.

We are: Stas is a writer and storyteller for digital products. He's also a paleontology nerd and an advocate for bicycle-friendly cities. He tweets about identity, languages, and politics in Ukraine and comments (aggressively) on the Russian invasion here.

Marichka is an ex-journalist, writer, communications manager at International Human Rights Documentary Film Festival Docudays UA, and project manager of Ukraine War Archive. Maria is also a plant mama and amateur nutritionist.

Raya is a UX designer, nature and art lover. Raya is our dear friend who created the design of our cards and put together our website.

Dozens of absolutely amazing volunteers from all around the world translated our issues into Arabic, Czech, Dutch, French, German, Greek, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Spanish, and Japanese. You can check the translated cards here.

Ukraine Explainers is an independent volunteer initiative that we do outside our daytime jobs. By supporting the project, you join the fight against Russia-centered narratives and misconceptions about Ukraine. You also become a member of a welcoming and safe community of Ukraine supporters!

Thank you!

Maria & Stas

• Stand with Ukraine Explainers - $5 / month: You're a passionate Ukraine supporter and want to go deeper than ordinary news -- that's why you listen to real Ukrainians
  • Sit with Ukraine Explainers - $10 / month: You are the ambassador of all things Ukraine for the people around you. You support Ukrainian voices and probably want to visit Kyiv when the war is over.

37 PATRONS - $330 PER MONTH

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 06:29 on Apr 9, 2023

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

everyone who has “human rights” in their work bio is an op

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/snekotron/status/1644837998322765829

the new story is that it is real, true, and the work of dastardly FSB spies on the Wowmao Discord Channel

:nsavince:

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

quote:

WASHINGTON — A trove of leaked Pentagon documents reveals how deeply Russia’s security and intelligence services have been penetrated by the United States, demonstrating Washington’s ability to warn Ukraine about planned strikes and providing an assessment of the strength of Moscow’s war machine.
lol said without an ounce of proof on what is obviously some moron posting pics

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
the fsb agent acquired some documents (of mostly publicly available western propganda) in big beautiful print outs then took pics and posted it to thugshakercentral so putin could take a look instead of standard operating procedure of putting it in a zip file with the password 'dogdong1917' and uploading it to mediafire

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
You mean to tell me that just as soon as Daniel Ellsberg announces he's stepping away from public life, there's another huge leak of papers... from the Pentagon?

Okay, I see how it is

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

LOL ur not gonna believe this.....

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Homeless Friend posted:

the fsb agent acquired some documents (of mostly publicly available western propganda) in big beautiful print outs then took pics and posted it to thugshakercentral so putin could take a look instead of standard operating procedure of putting it in a zip file with the password 'dogdong1917' and uploading it to mediafire

that's just how the twisty slavic mind works, always coming at you from the least expected direction

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
the fsb discord - thugshakercentral.

The thug is a feral chechen.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

The greatest part of all these OUN origin stories is that these guys spent almost all their effort on trying to get a genocide going on Poles, not even Russians. Stefanyk for example, had zero contact with Russia and this bloodlust was presumably directed at the local Polish post office like our friend Bandera. But now Poland is a great friend and ally, and Russia is the ancestral enemy of all Ukrainians. It speaks to an unusually corrupt society where even you can't even find integrity in their fashy racism

Slim Jim Pickens has issued a correction as of 08:47 on Apr 9, 2023

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

The greatest part of all these OUN origin stories is that these guys spent almost all their effort on trying to get a genocide going on Poles, not even Russians. Stefanyk for example, had zero contact with Russia and this bloodlust was presumably directed at the local Polish post office like our friend Bandera. But now Poland is a great friend and ally, and Russia is the ancestral enemy of all Ukrainians. It speaks to an unusually corrupt society where even you can't even find integrity in their fashy racism

I would say it is just the nature of much of the former Soviet Union where the collapse of the state created a void where sociopaths could do anything and everything they pleased. Ukraine is probably worse than most, and as this war drags on, I am sure it will only get more competitive.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 08:53 on Apr 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
I keep thinking about all this classified material