Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Never heard of the original, but "Oh this one isn't a Roguelike" is a good immediate selling pitch for me :v: Downloaded the demo, seems interesting but I'm always bad at any kind of flying game :thunk: Maybe I need to adjust the sensitivity but I hate how it's like your ship doesn't move with a little mouse input, then it feels like just a little bit more and suddenly I'm turned around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Was kinda meh going through the tutorial but it gets better and like 3 hours passed. Pretty fun.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The roguelike element in the first game was pointless content padding so I'm definitely glad they dropped it for the sequel

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mordja posted:

I beat it exactly once and then tooled around with a couple different builds before uninstalling.

Same lol, except I bought the dlc AFTER I beat it, foolishly

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I really want to finish the RPG, Greedfall, but the amount of running back and forth and large dialog dumps, is really exhausting. I am trying hard to get through this game because there is so much else about it that I really like.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Jordan7hm posted:

I finished up Kona earlier this week. It’s a game that reminds me very much of Firewatch, albeit not quite up to that level of polish. You’re a hard boiled detective going to investigate a murder in a small Quebec village in the 60s. 4 or 5 hours to beat. Unlike Firewatch there is some extremely light combat, but otherwise it’s pretty basic exploration and environmental puzzles as you suss out the story.

The thing that sets Kona apart is the voice acting and the setting. I don’t know how many other games have real good Quebecois characters, but they got Guy Nadon to narrate the main character and the writing is extremely rural Quebec. It’s very good.

Firewatch but a murder mystery seems right up my alley.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

I think I liked Kona less as it went on. It had a bit of a Long Dark feel early on (not in any game mechanic sense, more of a location vibe I guess) but as the story took it's turns it lost me a bit.

I definitely enjoyed my time overall with it but I absolutely loved Firewatch and Kona is a few steps below in my opinion.

Fwoderwick fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 8, 2023

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

I said come in! posted:

I really want to finish the RPG, Greedfall, but the amount of running back and forth and large dialog dumps, is really exhausting. I am trying hard to get through this game because there is so much else about it that I really like.

yeah that was absolutely the worst part, you really have to plan out your travel/exploration to try and hit everything in the map at once rather then return several times

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Serephina posted:

It bugs me, I really enjoyed EVERSPACE 1 due to it's interesting take on roguelites and being a linux-native title, and a few years ago I played the demo for the sequel and it worked fine in proton (even if I didn't enjoy the direction it was taken in). But now the demo is a slideshow, which is a crying shame as I'm sure everyone is dying for my lovely opinions on the sequel.

I've used both proton stable and ge-proton and both have been buttery smooth for me. Sometimes I find proton can be jerky with the first boot after install.

Sab669 posted:

Never heard of the original, but "Oh this one isn't a Roguelike" is a good immediate selling pitch for me :v: Downloaded the demo, seems interesting but I'm always bad at any kind of flying game :thunk: Maybe I need to adjust the sensitivity but I hate how it's like your ship doesn't move with a little mouse input, then it feels like just a little bit more and suddenly I'm turned around.

There is an option in the menu to keep the target always center, you might prefer that option.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Mescal posted:

it's just the early one with kuze where i'm swamped and crowded. it feels like superarmor turns on way late for power moves, and also to be honest i might just have some contoller lag or something going on. regardless i was getting stunned. i beat elden ring, i swear!

Keep at it I believe in you!

(There is opportunity in the game before that fight to buy healing items, it would suck if you have to start over but it’s not that far into the game, but you can skip cutscenes and fast forward text boxes.)

I owned Yakuza 0 for years on an impulse buy but it sure sucked me in, incredible game, but yeah the early fights are a wall I had trouble too.

Edit : also the fight in the office run around and use the furniture weapons you can pick up

PlushCow fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 8, 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

pentyne posted:

yeah that was absolutely the worst part, you really have to plan out your travel/exploration to try and hit everything in the map at once rather then return several times

I really hope the sequel is a seamless open world. If Spider can design the sequel to be better paced, and get rid of all of the invisible walls, it will flow so much better.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Reminds me I need to try that Bloodborne French Revolution robot musketeer assassin game. I love Spiders for the earnestness of their games, even if most of them come up far short of their ambitions.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Orv posted:

Reminds me I need to try that Bloodborne French Revolution robot musketeer assassin game. I love Spiders for the earnestness of their games, even if most of them come up far short of their ambitions.

I played it when it came out but dropped it shortly after because it ran horribly. Not sure if they ever fixed it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Wiltsghost posted:

I played it when it came out but dropped it shortly after because it ran horribly. Not sure if they ever fixed it.

Would be cool if that stopped being a regular thing.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Fwoderwick posted:

I think I liked Kona less as it went on. It had a bit of a Long Dark feel early on (not in any game mechanic sense, more of a location vibe I guess) but as the story took it's turns it lost me a bit.

I definitely enjoyed my time overall with it but I absolutely loved Firewatch and Kona is a few steps below in my opinion.

I agree with this, but man Kona nails rural Quebec if you have any inclination toward a story in that setting.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I laughed out loud when an npc started talking in Everspace 2 and they were TTS

It's very quaint

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Runa posted:

I laughed out loud when an npc started talking in Everspace 2 and they were TTS

It's very quaint

Yeah it was a good joke lol

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm bowing out of Everspace 2 after 2 hours. The linear structure is much less interesting to me than the space roguelike structure of the first game, and it has the same problems that combat in the first did: Every ship is so maneuverable that there's no 'dogfighting' or anything, it's like fighting a bunch of gun platforms that orbit around you (and the superior strategy is just to fly into ship wreckage or whatever, turn around, and shoot everything as they blindly fly in to get you). Also the dialog is so bad. Not like, Neon White type of bad, just very clumsily written, characters making nonsensical decisions and saying nonsensical things, etc

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256851777/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1631892705

Just finished playing Severed Steel and I'm about to play it all over again immediately as it was so incredibly fun. For people who love Max Payne or FEAR or stuff like that, definitely pick this up for stylish gunplay action.

Some notes:

*Story is practically non-existent and unsatisfying: not a problem for me as it does enough to prompt you and let you enjoy the addictive gameplay loop, but I will admit that the ending was pretty meh, so if you're someone who wants some narrative in your shooter, skip this.

*Game does a pretty good job at varying the levels in fun ways with different objectives and crazy layouts while still keeping the focus on fast-paced killing: basically, you'd think the game would get repetitive, but it cleverly keeps things fresh despite being the same. There were only a few levels that were stinkers (burning the mansion, etc), but they were few and far-between and I still appreciated the variety they were going for.

*While I had tons of fun and enjoy the reckless abandon and fluid, freeform nature that the game has, I felt like it was a bit too easy to be practically invincible through chaining stunts. It feels good, of course, but would've loved a bit more strategy and restrictions to the gameplay, though I suppose I wasn't playing on the absolute hardest difficulty yet, just the one before it. Can't believe that there is a modifier called 'like water' that was apparently highly requested from players that lets you wall-run from a dive and other illogical stuff: that gets rid of what little strategy there is to the movement system and would absolutely snap what little difficulty the game can muster!

*While I think you can technically get loads of time in this game through New Game + and other bonus modes like Firefight, I could understand people who go for main campaign one-and-done being dissatisfied as it is just a 2 hour romp. Thus, might be a game to pick up on sale rather than full price (I feel bad that I got it for free on Epic, planning to purchase an extra copy to gift to make it up to devs).

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 8, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I asked the developer and Like Water is basically a cheat even according to him.

New Game+ is practically another campaign because the enemy placement are completely different.

I do agree that the game is too easy on any difficulty where you get more than 1 HP. Once you get the hang of the mechanics, you're basically untouchable.

Severed Steel slaps.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Mega Comrade posted:

I've used both proton stable and ge-proton and both have been buttery smooth for me. Sometimes I find proton can be jerky with the first boot after install.

It's weird. I have a 960 so of course I'm lacking gruntpower, but that doesn't really explain it. It was plenty for the demo a few years back and I played it fine, but now just firing up the tutorial has it run at like 3fps despite little being on screen. It could be there's a lot of shiny been added but I don't think that's it, I'd normally blame proton as it always gives me so many issues (e.g. I can't get newer versions of it running, often using WINE instead) but it's the same proton version from years ago that worked with the demo.

It's a shame, since I'm super eager to fork out my cash for it, but I guess I'll have to either skip it or wait for the small chance of a linux port years down the line.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

everspace 2 has me thinking of picking up DRG again

if you think that's an odd connection, try to find enough goddamn flawless aetheum crystals for the greedy mfers in the perks screen :tizzy:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ciaphas posted:

everspace 2 has me thinking of picking up DRG again

if you think that's an odd connection, try to find enough goddamn flawless aetheum crystals for the greedy mfers in the perks screen :tizzy:

The crafting system is bafflingly terrible, who thought it was a good idea

The perks seem to require obscene amounts of crafting items too but they also seem pretty minor so far so whatever

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

RBA Starblade posted:

The crafting system is bafflingly terrible, who thought it was a good idea

The perks seem to require obscene amounts of crafting items too but they also seem pretty minor so far so whatever
For some reason, reading this makes me wonder. If Everspace 2 was still a roguelike, do you think how much they are trying to bleed you dry on materials would make you say "Oh yeah, that makes sense. It is a roguelike after all." instead of wonder why everything costs so much?

Which in turn makes me think about how many older arcade game ports/clones were still made like they wanted all of your quarters.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Section Z posted:

For some reason, reading this makes me wonder. If Everspace 2 was still a roguelike, do you think how much they are trying to bleed you dry on materials would make you say "Oh yeah, that makes sense. It is a roguelike after all." instead of wonder why everything costs so much?

Which in turn makes me think about how many older arcade game ports/clones were still made like they wanted all of your quarters.

all of them

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

deep dish peat moss posted:

I'm bowing out of Everspace 2 after 2 hours. The linear structure is much less interesting to me than the space roguelike structure of the first game, and it has the same problems that combat in the first did: Every ship is so maneuverable that there's no 'dogfighting' or anything, it's like fighting a bunch of gun platforms that orbit around you (and the superior strategy is just to fly into ship wreckage or whatever, turn around, and shoot everything as they blindly fly in to get you). Also the dialog is so bad. Not like, Neon White type of bad, just very clumsily written, characters making nonsensical decisions and saying nonsensical things, etc

Yeah that's how I felt about the demo, just really didn't grab me

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Finished Greedfall finally. Because I am not feeling good tonight, and really just wanted to finish this game, I ended up getting petty and vindictive against the key NPCs in the story, went the route of war crimes against everyone. Lots of murder, backstabbing, and betrayal was had, but it made no difference in the ending anyways.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Finished Greedfall finally. Because I am not feeling good tonight, and really just wanted to finish this game, I ended up getting petty and vindictive against the key NPCs in the story, went the route of war crimes against everyone. Lots of murder, backstabbing, and betrayal was had, but it made no difference in the ending anyways.

I think you have that battle star galactic game on your wishlist and it’s free till tomorrow or something.

BattleStar Galactic: Deadlock is free on steam until noon 4-9-2023

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I said come in! posted:

In my first playthrough of the Dragon Age trilogy recently, I realised that playing a good guy doesn't mean you have to always take the "good" options. When a group of bandits tells you they're going to take your valuables off your cold dead body, they don't get to be all "oh I have seen the error of my ways" afterwards.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I had Everspace 2 in EA. Its good. It takes time to get the features. Its farcry in space, as opposed to the original's roguelike. When you take on the harder combat missions or try for the achievement things, you start to get why upgrading or certain powers are the way they are. Buying new ships isn't really a big deal, you get the money eventually. You gotta try out all the features, they make sense after a while.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Started stranger of paradise multiplayer now that it's on steam and this is great. Feels like the game was always treated as a meme because of Jack, but it's a legitimately deep action game with with very good controls, an absurd number of classes to learn, and a lot of complexity while it still feels a bit less overwhelming and more approachable than nioh 2. coming from wo long, this feels like a much better fit for multiplayer and has been a lot of fun to learn.

Here's my complete final fantasy collection:

- Final Fantasy X
- STRANGER OF PARADISE FINAL FANTASY ORIGIN

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

deep dish peat moss posted:

Every ship is so maneuverable that there's no 'dogfighting' or anything,

I think this is exasperated because you get plonked in a fighter class ship and most of the early game enemies are all in scouts. You get more enermy bombers and sentinals later which feel more dog fighty but yeah, its not like Elite dangerous where you have to constantly shake someone on your tail and try doing top gunesc maneuvers.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Apr 9, 2023

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Nova Drift still owns

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

Slightly related, but I'm some 20 hours into Steelrising now and I think this might finally be the good Spiders game. Surprisingly solid combat, lots of stuff to explore (even if all the areas look the same), all in all a very fun soulslike.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Playing more random demos..

Puddle Knights

Move-in-order puzzler where you arrange knights with exceptionally long capes, so that they lay across puddles of mud, in order for rich nobles to be able to walk through without getting their shoes dirty. It's solid, though the UI is unspectacular and feels mobile-y.

Belle Boomerang

No amount of gorgeous pixel art can make up for tepid gameplay, unfortunately. It feels like really, really basic megaman. Love the pixel work though. This person would make a great artist for another developer.

Backpack Hero

This one strikes me as a perfect fit for phones, but an odd fit on PC. Like yea you can play with a mouse and it's fine, but the presentation and moment to moment gameplay is so lacking in variety that it seems more suited to a quick pick-up-and-play session on a phone or Switch handheld. I think I ultimately need more bells and whistles. I do like the SNES music though, and the individual elements of the gameplay are fine. Bear in mind I have a bias against roguelites.

Eternal Edge

Not the demo but a bundle game I tried out... this reminds me of Gedonia in that it's an open world ARPG made by just two people, and has a lot of jank, but it's still intriguing. It's definitely influenced by Breath of the Wild, as you have a main objective of four orbs to get across the world map, but you can do them in any order, and there's the whole rest of the world to explore and soak up quests. The combat though is abysmal, it just feels super bad and is gonna be a source of friction for me going forward in this game.

Goblin's Expedition

Lethargic is how I'd describe this one. A Pipe-Dreamer where you lay down tracks ahead of your brakeless minecart to grab gold and pickaxes. Even the fast-forward speed is uh, far from fast. The intro cutscene showed white half-pixels on the sides of the sprites. I grabbed a key and went through a locked door which opened up, and the game said I failed the level? Huh?? gonna pass on this one.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 9, 2023

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I've been using steam link for streaming from my pc to my macos and it works pretty well! I heard moonlight is slightly better (better response rates / lower input lag/etc) and is more configurable. I'm installing it now on the mac but it seems there's a moonlight server for my pc, as well as the sunshine server. I've heard good things about sunshine. Any idea which is better for the host server? moonlight or sunshine?

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Couple of thoughts while playing these games:

STAR WARS Jedi: Fallen Order: Having fun, but there's something kind of...off about this game that's bugging me. It's just got a much more jankier and unpolished feel and design to it than I expected considering how polished it looks like it should feel. When everything works, it's nice, but as much as it looks like it should be some smooth and slick combination of Uncharted with Sekiro combat, it's like playing Elex or something similarly low-budget, but with triple A visual/audio polish overlaid on top, like a copper pot with gold veneer, I dunno. Wonder if other people got this feel and if there is something I should do to help: I'll stick with it a bit more to see if it grabs me, and I'm starting to get used to its kind of awkward unspoken rules for combat. Exploration is also a bit weird in how, despite how grandiose the worlds look and it all being outdoors, I feel cramped and claustrophobic, stuck on very thin paths and tunnels and corridors.

Yakuza Like a Dragon: Really surprised with how much I got addicted and am enjoying this game. I really shy away from long commitment RPGs nowadays, especially ones with turn-based combat instead of real-time, so I was feeling like I'd quit this one, especially due to the long intro before they let you off the leash. Surprise, surprise, I can't get enough of it now: yes the combat is still not quite the best with the balance being all over the place, but I just love the story, characters, and all the crazy substories and games like Dragon Kart and Business Managment and so on. I guess it shouldn't be too surprisingly since a similar thing happened to Yakuza 0 for me: I felt like the combat was incredibly frustrating at first compared to other beat-em-ups and didn't see the appeal, but I just kept sticking with the game to see what happens next and loving it in the end.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

FutureCop posted:

Couple of thoughts while playing these games:

STAR WARS Jedi: Fallen Order: Having fun, but there's something kind of...off about this game that's bugging me. It's just got a much more jankier and unpolished feel and design to it than I expected considering how polished it looks like it should feel. When everything works, it's nice, but as much as it looks like it should be some smooth and slick combination of Uncharted with Sekiro combat, it's like playing Elex or something similarly low-budget, but with triple A visual/audio polish overlaid on top, like a copper pot with gold veneer, I dunno. Wonder if other people got this feel and if there is something I should do to help: I'll stick with it a bit more to see if it grabs me, and I'm starting to get used to its kind of awkward unspoken rules for combat. Exploration is also a bit weird in how, despite how grandiose the worlds look and it all being outdoors, I feel cramped and claustrophobic, stuck on very thin paths and tunnels and corridors.

this is a common view. i think respawn got shoved in the deep end when they received this project and the only reason it didn't turn out even messier is because they're a very good developer

i'm hoping jedi survivor has a similar quality/polish jump to what we saw between the titanfall games

Orv
May 4, 2011
I’m playing through JFO now for the first time and yeah, it’s fun but the animation and mechanics quality don’t quite support the encounter design the deeper I get. One on one fights feel good but the moment you’re getting run down by multiple melee guys it kinda falls apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

FutureCop posted:

STAR WARS Jedi: Fallen Order: Having fun, but there's something kind of...off about this game that's bugging me. It's just got a much more jankier and unpolished feel and design to it than I expected considering how polished it looks like it should feel.

According to Steam I played the game for 13 hours and that was more or less my feeling the whole time. Bought it on heavy sale and never got around to finishing it, thinking about powering through whatever's left now that the next game is coming out but I'm not sure I really care about that one either. Might wait for a sale on that as well depending on what the reviews say.