Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Seller paid someone else to do it, the joker's cringe is the artist's self-insert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've just clicked: that is a masterful portrait of irl krusty

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Look at this unicorn I found. It needs like an engine out rebuild every few thousand miles from the jokes that i remember. Which explains the mileage.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That is so cheap and would 100% be worth it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I will never skip an opportunity to dunk on an sxv for being junk, but I’m also enough of an adult to admit that they’re gorgeous and the chassis, suspension and brakes are top notch.

Was it z3n that put a ninja 650 motor in one? That seems like the way to go if you actually want to ride it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That sounds like a good way to absolutely ruin a great bike.

If you think of them as a 4t with a 2t rebuild interval they are fine.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Was it z3n that put a ninja 650 motor in one? That seems like the way to go if you actually want to ride it.

There were aspirations but nothing ever came of it, so I just send them every sxv ad I find to tempt. SOME day there will be enough disposable income to buy one, do 20 laps on a track, grenade it, and throw it in the coliseum transfer station

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
to this day one of, if not the best exhaust sounds I've heard was an SXV with akro pipes. absolutely demonic without being ear-shredding

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Slavvy posted:

That sounds like a good way to absolutely ruin a great bike.

If you think of them as a 4t with a 2t rebuild interval they are fine.

:hai:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That would be all well and good if they were as easy to rebuild as a 2t bike.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
My understanding is that if you... replace the crank seals? I forget what. One of the engine seals though was goes bad way too early-from factory. And if you fix it then they're quite reliable, providing up to three thousands of mile of uninterrupted joy before needing a rebuild.

Here's one racing in the wild. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yo4kEMTocw

He tended to either win or DFN-mechanical.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

That would be all well and good if they were as easy to rebuild as a 2t bike.

That doesn't stop people owning 250f's, and an sxv is just two of those glued together now that I've seen one. Anyway a 2t single is easy to rebuild, an rgv or nsr or tzr is different and I think that kind of motor is what it's most comparable to.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I’ve got some money after insurance payout (got a couple bicycles stolen :( ) so I should definitely get this Italian finicky thing right.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yes

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I've only ever sat on an SXV, but the impression from just that was one of pure evil. I'm not suggesting the bike itself is evil, but it certainly exudes an aura of corruption. It will make you do bad things. It will make you want to do bad things.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Finger Prince posted:

I've only ever sat on an SXV, but the impression from just that was one of pure evil. I'm not suggesting the bike itself is evil, but it certainly exudes an aura of corruption. It will make you do bad things. It will make you want to do bad things.

There was a local guy on supermotojunkie who had one (the one with the akro pipe I keep fangirling over), it spent roughly 50% of its time on one wheel.

The other 50% it was in pieces in his garage. Love-hate relationship to say the least. I know he had to split the cases to redo the sealant, he had issues with it eating clutch fibers, and various electrical gremlins.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Its going to be the most fun 50 miles of your life

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Slavvy posted:

That doesn't stop people owning 250f's

Lol my first mx race bike was a 250 4t :whitewater:

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
Remember this?

T Zero posted:

For those that don't know, the SuperHawk is the most amazing motorcycle in the entire universe
This was Chuck Norris' track bike. It's illegal to ride this bike from East to West (fucks with the Earth's rotation)
If you roll up next to a Harley on this bike, he will get off his machine, bow down to you and offer his
woman as a sacrifice in hopes that you won't embarrass him with 996 Cubic Centimeters of liquid awesomeness
If Gixxers or Ninjas see this bike, they start leaking and it aint oil, my friend.

Here's an update

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/d/alexandria-easy-fix-sports-bike/7585244392.html

T Zero fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Feb 3, 2023

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
"Passed owner". RIP I guess?

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

He died as he lived, wondering if the next owner would drop his bike in the same spot and thus dislodge the JB weld plug he put in the crankcase

I'm making this up I'm still trying to figure out if the listings were from the same person

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
The original listing is from a nearby bike shop that sells used bikes. (See the building behind it and the sticker on the frame)

The second listing is ostensibly someone who bought the bike and wrecked it in less than 6 months. A tale in two acts, a tale as old as time. At least he's honest about the damage.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Ok that's what I thought was happening but I mistook the first for a private party post. Am I crazy or was it already rashed where he would later put a hole in the crankcase?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The same parts touch the ground every time when you fall over, usually

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

It was all terribly obvious in hindsight.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

This is the shop that had the first ad, they sell used bikes both from the shop and on consignment:
https://brookscycle.com/

I stopped by when I was looking for a beginner bike since they have a good reputation in the area but they didn't have anything appropriate to my skill level. Arguably still don't.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nonsense, it's clear you could learn on a vtr1000 for a good six months

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Dying to know the thought process of buying a bike just to ride it home and then forget about it for a decade. Also lol @ asking new money for a decade old bike that probably hasn't been stored properly

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They’ll probably get that asking price too

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I know :(

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

lmao what? are these rare or something? im looking at it and i see steel frame, oil damping forks, non floating brake rotors. and im like… nice commuter bike i guess??? that thing is honda but its all super old bike tech.

that price isnt far off from a decent super sport.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wonder how many absolutely classic bikes we can dismiss by reducing them to a list of humdrum parts

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Is this an alright deal? WR250R 15k miles, aftermarket wheels and bars. $3k

Anything specific I should look out for when I go check it out?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If they're random cheapo wheels they will be worse than the factory items and you should count on replacing them

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah a WR250R comes with dirt wheels already? Does he mean it includes a set of 17s?

That seems like a good price to me if there’s morning wrong with it. Even if you have to get new wheels that’s like $700? I think pokie sold his WR250X for like 6k ~2 years ago.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I’ll definitely ask about the wheel situation.

Seems like perfect for baby’s first dual sport.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005

Another update!

quote:

UPDATE: I sold this a few months ago, the kid dropped it so I bought it back from him. Some cosmetic damage and the clutch cover was cracked causing an oil leak. I replaced the clutch cover and put these cool stickers on it.

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcd/d/chantilly-honda-vtr1000f-superhawk/7605065505.html

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Did that price go up? I can no longer tell what is normal in our hell timeline with inflation on the side, but I feel like a superchicken being passed around at this point should just eat -$500 per owner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

As sound a machine as they are, those things are getting really long in the tooth now and they feel pretty badly outdated. There's just so many better options in that space, being *a* v-twin is basically the only selling point now