Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

pretty much every entry on the rap sheet is completely psychotic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I'd say "how did that guy not eat at least a ban+30 by now" but I know exactly how he didn't

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
interesting.

I feel like this is more of a SAD topic or something to contact an admin about, and less of a legend/saga.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

FirstnameLastname posted:

don't look up any spoilers/solutions to anything

Yeah I went in blind and finished earlier tonight (I actually started early this week)

Game owned, friends who got it for me are upset I figured out how to get to the end quickly, but are also laughing because I completely flubbed a super easy puzzle for hours straight. Everyone wins.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Leal posted:

So if they didn't bring up the poster's cat, would this wish of death on another poster gone unpunished?

Drinkslinger posted:

Same guy:

but it's ok, he got a whole 12 hours off for this

this isn't a legend from the past so it isn't really something I'd like the thread to dwell on, so in the interest of helping the thread move on I'll say that Fritz and I are looking into this and it's very unlikely that that IK's sixer will be the end of the story.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
[admin voice] okay guys stop looking at barbara streisand's house

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
Hey if the guy stops posting bad, by any means.

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Fair enough, I know I was being snide with my earlier "oh he only got 12 hours lol" comment so I'll leave it at that

Meanwhile:

Psycho Landlord posted:

I'm playing Outer Wilds for the first time and have mostly just been killing myself in scientifically impressive ways
I got as far as the initial space flight, then realised I was utterly terrible at piloting the craft, crashed several times, and kinda gave up at that point

It probably didn't help that I perpetually have the No Man's Sky disc in my PS4, so I'm spoilt on the whole "flying a starship from Planet A to Planet B as smoothly as possible" thing.

It sucks because I love the aesthetic of Outer Wilds but I wish the controls didn't annoy me as much as they do :(

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I think about the GBS phantom roof shitter burglar and OP's decision to recreate SWAT 3 a lot is that a legend

EorayMel fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 9, 2023

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I think about this guy and the mysterious Roof Poop a lot too

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I can't wait until the Outer Wilds Switch port releases. Aaaaaany day now...

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Drinkslinger posted:

Fair enough, I know I was being snide with my earlier "oh he only got 12 hours lol" comment so I'll leave it at that

Meanwhile:

I got as far as the initial space flight, then realised I was utterly terrible at piloting the craft, crashed several times, and kinda gave up at that point

It probably didn't help that I perpetually have the No Man's Sky disc in my PS4, so I'm spoilt on the whole "flying a starship from Planet A to Planet B as smoothly as possible" thing.

It sucks because I love the aesthetic of Outer Wilds but I wish the controls didn't annoy me as much as they do :(

I know this excuse is overdone and kinda obnoxious, but there's definitely an intent there with the controls being loose and bad. The Hearthian space program hems closer to Beverly Hillbillies than Star Trek, and the designers want to encourage you to have whacky misadventures that result from mistakes and crashes. They are not expecting smooth spaceflight, nor does the game demand it

You will eventually get the hang of it. More to the point, you will settle into a "eh, good enough" mindset where crashing headfirst into a planet is actually your intent and not an accident. There's really only one stretch that demands precise piloting, and the nature of that spot heavily discourages speed or reckless handling, so the controls are a lot more manageable

It's worth pushing through!!

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

I'm redownloading it as I write this! Trust me, I'm well aware that my issues with it boil down to me being impatient - I've got some time off work at the moment so I have the hours needed to invest in it. I'll make it work :)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ajkalan posted:

Never understood why that confused people.

It's a mechanic that's used literally nowhere else in the entire series, and everything about the game leads you to believe you're meant to get enough momentum to pass it by jumping on the barrel.

WarpDogs posted:

I know this excuse is overdone and kinda obnoxious, but there's definitely an intent there with the controls being loose and bad. The Hearthian space program hems closer to Beverly Hillbillies than Star Trek, and the designers want to encourage you to have whacky misadventures that result from mistakes and crashes. They are not expecting smooth spaceflight, nor does the game demand it

You will eventually get the hang of it. More to the point, you will settle into a "eh, good enough" mindset where crashing headfirst into a planet is actually your intent and not an accident. There's really only one stretch that demands precise piloting, and the nature of that spot heavily discourages speed or reckless handling, so the controls are a lot more manageable

It's worth pushing through!!

I'm reminded of Oddworld Abe's Exoddus where apparently they had trouble getting the Flying Slig to control well, and eventually just decided to lean into it and make a point of how it's clumsy and tricky to fly. But yeah, I can see that going. It's also a game that literally resets every 22 minutes or so, I imagine there's a fair few points you're expected to crash with no intention of taking off again.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
i had a hard time w outer wilds but i didnt get the reset day ability until 20 hours in due to me sucking rear end at games so i spent a lot. like A LOT of time floating helplessly in the void of space

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Kazinsal posted:

I'd say "how did that guy not eat at least a ban+30 by now" but I know exactly how he didn't

CSPAM favorite?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Drinkslinger posted:

First and most important truth I learned in this game - if you're within a kilometer of where you meant to be and you walked away, it was a good flight

Do not give a poo poo about your ship. Don't try to fly perfect. You'll be fine.

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

I'm stoked for this - I have plenty of pre-requested time off coming up so I have lots of time to get acquainted with how to fly a Wild ship to the Outers or something along those lines :toot:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Drinkslinger posted:

Meanwhile:

I would recommend giving it another go and learning to love the autopilot button.

Also I feel like perfectly smooth ship flight wouldn't fit the ramshackle nature of Hearthian spaceflight.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I rewatched the three Indiana Jones movies this week and they won. They’re super violent and great.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Autisanal Cheese posted:

CSPAM favorite?

No. They barely post, they escaped attention because they're mostly a lurker who has less than 10 posts in the last year. Their unhinged murder fantasies about public figures and other posters is way beyond acceptable for CSPAM, and both vyelkin and I quickly agreed we'd have given them a ban+30 for their prior rapsheet entry from December 2021.

We'd appreciate if folks would PM a mod, admin, or start a SAD thread if there's a serious current issue.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

I rewatched the three Indiana Jones movies this week and they won. They’re super violent and great.

and the crystal skull?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Fritz the Horse posted:

No. They barely post, they escaped attention because they're mostly a lurker who has less than 10 posts in the last year. Their unhinged murder fantasies about public figures and other posters is way beyond acceptable for CSPAM, and both vyelkin and I quickly agreed we'd have given them a ban+30 for their prior rapsheet entry from December 2021.

We'd appreciate if folks would PM a mod, admin, or start a SAD thread if there's a serious current issue.

Is the forum admins email good for things like this or does "dude who can't stop talking about his lust for civilian blood" not rate high enough for the oh-poo poo email list? Because we seem to have an awful lot of these types showing their whole rear end these days.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Kazinsal posted:

Is the forum admins email good for things like this or does "dude who can't stop talking about his lust for civilian blood" not rate high enough for the oh-poo poo email list? Because we seem to have an awful lot of these types showing their whole rear end these days.

Yeah, admin email is good, though I wouldn't say this example was an emergency. We don't get that many admin emails, from what I've seen, a handful a week so far? Certainly it's not going to get lost in the shuffle. The advantage of an email is all of us see it, so you're likely to get a quicker response.

Another good option would be the "small questions" thread in SAD, which I do have bookmarked. You could post there if there hasn't been action on something for a bit, though keep in mind it can sometimes take a few hours until someone goes through reports or whatever.

In this case, it was a little more than 2 hours between the 6er in CSPAM and vyelkin and I noticing the report, having a discussion with CSPAM mods and IKs, and landing on ban+30 with explicit warning the next time they do their thing it's a permaban. The system more or less worked as intended, I think?

Anyhow, the main reason I want to discourage discussion of current moderation issues itt is I think those conversations should be in a public feedback space (SAD or forum feedback threads) so everyone can participate, not in PYF Legends. Or in private, if they're private conversations.

Bluh
Dec 28, 2012

Fritz the Horse posted:

How is bringing the unhinged posts to light in this thread any different than those options? We’d appreciate staff responding to concerns effectively.

edit: posted this immediately before your previous comment. Fair point.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Fritz the Horse posted:

Yeah, admin email is good, though I wouldn't say this example was an emergency. We don't get that many admin emails, from what I've seen, a handful a week so far? Certainly it's not going to get lost in the shuffle. The advantage of an email is all of us see it, so you're likely to get a quicker response.

Another good option would be the "small questions" thread in SAD, which I do have bookmarked. You could post there if there hasn't been action on something for a bit, though keep in mind it can sometimes take a few hours until someone goes through reports or whatever.

In this case, it was a little more than 2 hours between the 6er in CSPAM and vyelkin and I noticing the report, having a discussion with CSPAM mods and IKs, and landing on ban+30 with explicit warning the next time they do their thing it's a permaban. The system more or less worked as intended, I think?

Anyhow, the main reason I want to discourage discussion of current moderation issues itt is I think those conversations should be in a public feedback space (SAD or forum feedback threads) so everyone can participate, not in PYF Legends. Or in private, if they're private conversations.

Fair. I just wanted to ask because when the forum admins distribution list was announced it was said that it was the oh poo poo emergency line and what constituted acceptable things to bring up there wasn't actually outlined. I feel like this is the kind of thing that might be a good use for the email list because popping something like this into QCS/SAD has historically resulted in the posting pals of the accused rolling up to stir poo poo. It'd just be nice to make sure we're not going to get blasted by the staff for shooting "so this dude can't stop talking about how much he wants people to die" emails to the admin DL whenever this kind of thing pops up.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Kazinsal posted:

Fair. I just wanted to ask because when the forum admins distribution list was announced it was said that it was the oh poo poo emergency line and what constituted acceptable things to bring up there wasn't actually outlined. I feel like this is the kind of thing that might be a good use for the email list because popping something like this into QCS/SAD has historically resulted in the posting pals of the accused rolling up to stir poo poo. It'd just be nice to make sure we're not going to get blasted by the staff for shooting "so this dude can't stop talking about how much he wants people to die" emails to the admin DL whenever this kind of thing pops up.

We have discussed adding some more SAD IKs, docbeard is the most active at actually moderating and if we could clone him a few times that'd be great. The advantage to having IKs in SAD, imo, is that they're not in the mod forum or in close contact with mods. They can kind of be true "third parties" when things are contentious between users and mods while keeping things civil between users. That's a longer-term solution. For now, the three new admins have been watching SAD pretty closely and while we don't push buttons a lot there I have no problem doing so if someone is really making GBS threads up a serious SAD thread.

Hmm, for non-emergencies I would give the crappy system a little time to work, maybe like 12-24 hours depending on how bad the post is. Most of the time the response should be shorter, but if that 6er for Anti-Social Disease is sitting in the LC for a day then absolutely, wake us up.

This might be a question for Rhino but in my mind, the ideal way for things to work is if it's mentioned here, someone posts "yeah this is terrible I'm going to email the admins / start a SAD thread" and either you mostly wait a bit for a reply or you take discussion to the SAD thread.

Again, my motive here is mainly that I want discussion of moderation issues to be in places where the people who need or want to read it are most likely to read it and participate. In this case, both vyelkin and I happen to be following this thread and we could respond.

god I sound stuffy tonight, hopefully that all more or less makes sense.

edit: I absolutely think an email would've been appropriate in this instance. Or a SAD thread if no response after a day or so.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Arivia posted:

and the crystal skull?

Watching it now bc I gotta finish it. I don’t hate it as much as everyone does but I think it’s an ugly looking movie

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Aside from all the obvious dumb stuff I just never understood why the crystal skull itself looked like such poo poo. it looks like they took some plastic toy and stuffed it with crinkled up saran wrap

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Thanks fritz and vyelkin

Fritz the Horse posted:

This might be a question for Rhino but in my mind, the ideal way for things to work is if it's mentioned here, someone posts "yeah this is terrible I'm going to email the admins / start a SAD thread" and either you mostly wait a bit for a reply or you take discussion to the SAD thread.

Yeah this is how I feel as well, if someone seems like a weirdo and there are grievances over whether they should be more justly punished please do it via admin emails or SAD after a few posts

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

CelticPredator posted:

Watching it now bc I gotta finish it. I don’t hate it as much as everyone does but I think it’s an ugly looking movie

It felt like that movie over-relied on CGI for its action scenes. I always enjoyed Indiana Jones movies for the practical effects action scenes. The CGI army ants and surviving a nuclear blast in a fridge didn't work for me.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Martman posted:

Aside from all the obvious dumb stuff I just never understood why the crystal skull itself looked like such poo poo. it looks like they took some plastic toy and stuffed it with crinkled up saran wrap

That DP loves that stupid bloom poo poo. He’s been doing it forever. He put pantyhoes over the lens and poo poo. If just makes things look phony

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

That DP loves that stupid bloom poo poo. He’s been doing it forever. He put pantyhoes over the lens and poo poo. If just makes things look phony
do you mean they specifically use that a lot when they're looking at the crystal skull, or just the whole movie? this is the kind of stuff I never notice, but yeah that definitely sounds right in terms of the whole movie having a weird fake sheen to it

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bogus Adventure posted:

It felt like that movie over-relied on CGI for its action scenes. I always enjoyed Indiana Jones movies for the practical effects action scenes. The CGI army ants and surviving a nuclear blast in a fridge didn't work for me.

Also what’s weird too is that they filmed a lot of the jungle chase practically and then shoved cgi nonsense over it which made it look phony, despite being done on a set. It’s a shame.

I don’t think it’s the worst thing ever it’s just very mid but some of the issues are real annoying. I also hate the line “well by the way you’re sinking your teeth into those wubbayoos…”

Yeesh

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Martman posted:

do you mean they specifically use that a lot when they're looking at the crystal skull, or just the whole movie? this is the kind of stuff I never notice, but yeah that definitely sounds right in terms of the whole movie having a weird fake sheen to it

Yeah the whole movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cic1TG5rIQw

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

admin brigade derailing the videogame thread... mods??

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Fritz the Horse posted:

Hmm, for non-emergencies I would give the crappy system a little time to work, maybe like 12-24 hours depending on how bad the post is. Most of the time the response should be shorter, but if that 6er for Anti-Social Disease is sitting in the LC for a day then absolutely, wake us up.

Because this discussion is happening here, I’ll say it here, but at a systems level IK probe time period should match the amount of lead time expected; if 12-24 hours is the service level objective then IKs should be able to take people out long enough for that to not allow for more posting before assessment.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ok I finished it. It’s still not as bad as everyone says but it’s not great and it’s just so weird all the way through for no reason. The tone, the action, the jokes, everything is just odd. I don’t hate the aliens but ancient aliens suck and I don’t really get the point of everything.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

CelticPredator posted:

Ok I finished it. It’s still not as bad as everyone says but it’s not great and it’s just so weird all the way through for no reason. The tone, the action, the jokes, everything is just odd. I don’t hate the aliens but ancient aliens suck and I don’t really get the point of everything.

They also destroyed a goons (lobsterboyx) classic car (like a 54 Buick i think?) for the movie after promising they wouldn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The movie just looks greasy and fake, when part of what made the first three so good is how gritty and real it felt despite the bombastic action. And the dialogue is just terrible. Part time!

iwentdoodie posted:

They also destroyed a goons (lobsterboyx) classic car (like a 54 Buick i think?) for the movie after promising they wouldn't.

lmao no way